The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 12-01-2017, 01:12 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I like that one!

I don't have Tabletop Simulator, but I could definitely read the rules and possibly print out & play a game.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:25 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Deck of Many Dungeons
That's actually really great
Old 12-01-2017, 05:53 PM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Deck of Many Dungeons
Holy shit.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:55 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I own TTS and would be willing to cavort for your amusement!
Old 12-01-2017, 06:26 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

Yeah, what they said.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:50 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

More details in Talking about creating.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:42 AM
Dinger!

Pronouns: he/him

In case anybody's on the hunt for a tabletop RPG to catch their interest, John Harper (designer of Blades in the Dark, among other games) has compiled a Google doc of dozens of recommendations representing all facets of the hobby. It's full of good stuff.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:47 PM
King Of Space-Time

Old 03-06-2018, 05:31 PM
Dinger!

Pathfinder Second Edition has been announced.

I've never played or been interested in playing Pathfinder, but honestly a lot of the changes they're talking about sound pretty good. I'll be keeping an eye on this.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:09 PM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

I doubt they'll do anything they shouldn't have done back when they made the system in the first place. And in fact I wonder if they'll again largely ignore any suggestions for actually improving the underlying D&D 3E systemic problems.

An edition reset lets them get away with taking down some of the absurd extra complexity (both added over time and baked in from the start) at least.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:16 PM
Dinger!

Stuff like explicitly splitting the game into three modes of play (encounter, exploration and downtime) and simplifying combat down to three actions of any kind each round seem like pretty big changes that have me interested.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:09 PM

I am cautiously optimistic about a new Pathfinder. The original is probably the single system I've played the most of and it sounds like this is going to get rid of a lot of the cruft of the game, which was always my biggest issue with it one way or another. On the other hand, stuff like the three modes of play makes me wonder just what they're actually going to do. I can't believe how much effort they're putting into presentation on an open playtest version though.

Between this and the Wrath and Glory debut, I don't think I've ever wanted to attend GenCon so badly.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:57 AM
Dinger!

...And then I learned about Paizo defending a harasser and encouraging an employee to stay silent about her harassment, so yeah, there goes my interest.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:43 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Pathfinder is also the D&D that isn't 4th edition, which should be all anyone needs to hear.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:16 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Pathfinder is also the D&D that isn't 4th edition, which should be all anyone needs to hear.
Genuinely not sure what your point is here. Are you saying that 4th edition is the best edition and all others aren't worth you time? (That seems like an unlikely stance to take, admittedly.) Are you implying that every version of D&D that isn't 4th is all the same? There are lots of versions of D&D that aren't 4th, and some of them are pretty different from each other! Pathfinder is like a D&D development fork for folks who never want to stop playing 3.5. I find it difficult to like in a world where 5E exists.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:29 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

4th is the true faith, undone by villains and schemers.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:08 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
4th is the true faith, undone by villains and schemers.
Amen.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:26 AM
I have a Plan

I like that 4E exists, but that's mostly because it provided the framework for Strike! RPG to exist, which I adore.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
...And then I learned about Paizo defending a harasser and encouraging an employee to stay silent about her harassment, so yeah, there goes my interest.
Straight up firing an employee for suggesting they shouldn't invite said harasser to future conventions, actually.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:33 PM
King Of Space-Time

Old 03-22-2018, 06:54 AM

Is it gauche to request someone else run a pla by post game? Because I don't have the time (or honestly the inclination) to run one myself but if someone ran a game of Battlecruisers I would be down for that.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:26 AM
Rogue Robot

Pronouns: he / him

I think if you’re not asking a specific person it’s fine.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:15 AM
YOU FOOL??

Trying to figure out how to resolve a problem in my weekly tabletop game where one player just hates the system. Cannot deal with it at all, and wants to go back to D&D. The others would probably switch systems if asked, but they're all into the current one. (Which is FATE, fwiw.) So I'm torn between making a huge change to the game just for the sake of one player vs. having a player in the group who is miserable while everyone else is enjoying themselves. Any thoughts?
Old 04-13-2018, 11:34 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Do you prefer running FATE? Does your setting or story benefit from being run in FATE? It depends on your group too. With the game I'm currently running, hanging out with the group is much more important than the content of the game. I feel like changing systems is pretty drastic, but if everyone else is ok with it that might not be a bad decision.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:02 PM

1 person is unhappy vs. 0 people are unhappy strikes me as the easiest call in the world.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:12 PM
YOU FOOL??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
1 person is unhappy vs. 0 people are unhappy strikes me as the easiest call in the world.
That's why I mentioned that the rest of the group is digging FATE. I don't want them to end up resenting the one player who isn't if they're not keen on switching systems.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:28 PM
Dinger!

First of all, have you asked the player what specifically makes them not like Fate? Understanding the specifics of the problem will make it easier to address, and might reveal that the issue is actually about something not related to the game at all.

Is your Fate campaign set in D&D style medieval fantasy? If not, that's gonna require a lot of work on the part of the GM (who I'm assuming is you) to make the switch. Also, I've never run Fate, but I'm pretty sure D&D in general requires a lot more prep from the GM than Fate does, so you've also got to ask yourself if you're willing to take on that responsibility.

If this were me, I wouldn't switch the current campaign to a new game. Depending on my relationship with the players and my feel for the campaign, I'd pick one of these options:

1) If this was a group of people who got together to play Fate specifically, I'd let the unhappy player leave the group, no hard feelings. "Sorry you're not having fun. Hopefully we can play together again in the future."

2) If we've all got extra time on our hands, I'd just start a second game, so we can play D&D too. Or possibly move this player to a new group to start a game of D&D.

3) If the Fate campaign has had a good run, and everybody's ready for some good old dungeon-fucking, I'd set an end date for the Fate campaign, give it a worthy farewell, and then start a game of D&D.

ALSO ALSO ALSO: I cannot stress this enough, but this is not the GM's sole decision to make. If switching the game would cause a lot more work for the GM, that's something that should be taken into consideration, but ultimately, this should be a group discussion and everybody should come to the decision together. This is a question of "what should me and my friends do with our free time" and thus the GM-player dynamic doesn't really enter into it.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:06 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Friend of mine always recommended changing systems every campaign to keep your ideas from getting stale. He was a huge FATE nerd, but he would roll over to d20 or what have you for a shorter 3-4 session campaign in between his big 10-12 session campaigns. Seems like a good chance to do that here.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:09 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Friend of mine always recommended changing systems every campaign to keep your ideas from getting stale. He was a huge FATE nerd, but he would roll over to d20 or what have you for a shorter 3-4 session campaign in between his big 10-12 session campaigns. Seems like a good chance to do that here.
Also got to match campaign length and system to group preferences. Groups that are big on numbers go up are a poor match for FATE for anything longer than 3-4 sessions because the lack of growth starts to drag. At the same time it shines for groups that are all-in on collaborative development because the character development options are all invitations to start scribbling in the margins.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:47 PM
YOU FOOL??

What I ended up doing wasn't switching systems (we just did switch systems; this new campaign is FATE after the two-year D&D campaign we wrapped up) but talking things over with the dissatisfied player to find out what in particular she wasn't digging about the new system and how we could make things better for her. I think she's been getting more into it the last couple sessions, so everything might have worked out? Maybe?

Tags
board games , fear of new threads , not worth its own thread , pen and paper rpgs , traditional games