The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-10-2019, 11:51 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Made it to 3F of Lush Woodlands and beat the surprise attack from the Berserker King. That was really cool! My party is almost level 13 and I've settled on a lineup of:

Hero/Ronin/Imperial
Sovereign/Zodiac

Being able to fight that boss in the state I was in made me feel pretty confident in this party so far. It has very little mitigation so I'm relying on arm binds from the Ronin when it's important, and otherwise just glass cannoning everything.

Ronin does a crap ton of damage and I'm using mine in Swift Stance so he's fast. Imperial will have such a better skill rotation once they get to tier 2 skills, so I'm reserving the actual Overdrive attacks for bosses and hard FOEs. The trick I've found for Zodiac is very liberal usage of their Force Boost along with the passive to return TP when you defeat an enemy -- I maxed mine out pretty early -- so that way they can last a lot longer and go for multiple kills during their Force Boost turns to gain MP back.

I am highly looking forward to subclassing with all the classes available in this game. I suspect Ninja is still pretty good for Zodiac, but otherwise I'm not sure how anyone else would pan out.

I'll try to post my QR code tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:48 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Iíve not really sat down to play the game earnestly yet (Iíve got a vacation with lots of travel time coming up soon), but I have built a party and explored a chunk of the first floor of the first dungeon.

First off, Iíd like to give props to the art team for reining in the amount of naked toddlers in this one. By EO standards ďonly a fewĒ is a huge improvement. Letís see if we canít bring that number down to zero, guys! Many of the portraits also seem to be a lot less sexualized in general, too! Again, thereís still a fair chunk of horny on display, but still far below the average for the series.

Iím running with Hero/Imperial, Medic/Runemaster/Sovereign right now, but Iím thinking of changing some of that around. Iíve got just absurd passive healing, which is good for longevity purposes, but my damage output is pathetic without quickly burning through my TP, so Iím heading back to town just as often.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:45 AM

Old 02-11-2019, 06:08 PM
Senhor Member

Very obnoxious labyrinth where you have to keep fighting these instant death golems that can only be paralyzed and attacked with ice. Unclear what Iím doing here... maybe Iím not supposed to be here... I forget what any child adventurers say to me... actually fucked up to help humanity reimpose civilization across an apocalyptic landscape if theyíre just going to replace wild monsters with our immiserated livestock. (I am not sure what the lore is)
Old 02-11-2019, 06:15 PM
I have a Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
Very obnoxious labyrinth where you have to keep fighting these instant death golems that can only be paralyzed and attacked with ice. Unclear what Iím doing here... maybe Iím not supposed to be here... I forget what any child adventurers say to me... actually fucked up to help humanity reimpose civilization across an apocalyptic landscape if theyíre just going to replace wild monsters with our immiserated livestock. (I am not sure what the lore is)
The trick to those guys is they only activate and move while you're in a fight, so you can control their positioning by timing where you get into encounters. The damage tiles in their rooms are also rigged to immediately get you in a fight.

But maybe you already knew that, in which case the trick is to ignore that area until you can just kill everything.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:34 PM
Senhor Member

I know all that. I actually just wasted an unusual amount of time trying to trigger one of those fights (because the golem was blocking my way) but I accidentally killed the enemies too often. (second time was my heroís doppelgangerís fault) The fights are not that hard but they are obnoxious. Additionally, Birgitta bugs. Weird vibe. Itís fine... Iíll manage.

What causes FOEs to respawn? I assume they do at some point. (maybe not)

V. grateful theyíve made these fights easier to trigger by making the encounter rate ďtoo high, imo.Ē

At least I just found a shortcut back to the entrance.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:50 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
What causes FOEs to respawn?
Time passing. (In-universe time, not playtime.)
Old 02-11-2019, 06:56 PM
Senhor Member

Good to know.
-
Oh, that is enough

Anyway, I hate this boss!

e: it will cast reflect if you attack it with lightning (any elemental attacks?) but the counter attack isnít triggered by the Heroís Volt follow up attack thing.

Last edited by Pizzarino Sbarro; 02-11-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Infinity Squared!

As a minor suggestion for EO Nexus discussion as it pertains to spoilers, it might be good to use labyrinth numberings to provide spoiler context, if you think that the labyrinth names will spoil the experience for others? (Though I guess once you get far enough, the numbers will become spoilers for the length of the game, since it doesn't follow the normal five-stratum (+ post-game stratum) structure of most of the core series.)

For "MAIN" labyrinths, the labyrinth numbers will show up on the splash screen when entering a labyrinth, and also appear on the map screen's upper-left hand corner and the right-hand selection bar. All of the "SUB" labyrinths seem to be collectively labeled as Mazes, but so far they've all been associated with a single main labyrinth. In those cases, noting which Labyrinth they're associated with might be a good convention. (But I should also note that I'm only as far as the 3rd Labyrinth and its associated Maze, so I have no idea how much this pattern holds.)
Old 02-12-2019, 10:06 AM

Finished Lush Woodlands and started in on the 3rd Labyrinth a little. It's weird they count it like that since the actual 1st Labyrinth is only 1 floor deep. I'm going to try and reeducate myself on past Etrian dungeons by listening to all the labyrinth music from the series.

I'm realizing that Imperial isn't quite perfectly synergistic with my team because of how slow they are, but I'm not so sure that's a bad thing. Ronin Zodiac and Hero are all pretty quick and usually compete for turn order, but then I know pretty well that my Sovereign will go 4th and the Imperial last. Plus, Imperials get elemental-typed Drive abilities later which synergizes quite well with the Zodiac's buff.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:27 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Oh, that is enough
About that...

Tags
atlus , etrian odyssey , etrian odyssey nexus , etrian odyssey x , even in the tags f.o.e.