The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-11-2019, 10:09 AM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
This is a genuinely shocking revelation, haha
DC is not a space-friendly place to live, and I just couldn't justify trying to find room for a CRT. But I need that sweet, sweet lightgun action, so I'll be on the lookout soon!
Old Today, 08:06 AM
Slammaster

Bob from RetroRGB has a video up on all the various and sundry options for getting high-quality visuals from all the various and sundry configurations of the PC Engine/TurboGrafx.

Old Today, 12:44 PM

I'm happy to see there are so many solutions for the PC Engine line. I can't really use any of these, since I've got a Duo, but I did buy mine pre-modded for S-Video (not RGB, though). It looks pretty good, though. I do wish I'd gone with a Duo-R/RX, though, since my CD drive is pretty finicky with burned media. It works gorgeously with legit discs, though; I imported The Legend of Xanadu 1 & 2 for when the fan translation eventually drops.
Old Today, 03:00 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post
I don't have a CRT, but, uh... the additional space in my new digs means I will begin thrifting for one as soon as we move.
I've got one you can have, just gotta swing through Montreal on your way to Tennessee...

Speaking of high-fidelity classic gaming, or at least medium-fidelity, I finally got a set of S-Video cables for my SNES! And also GameCube I guess. They're a pretty cheap set, but I can definitely see a difference using them. Pixels are more clearly defined and colors are less swimmy than they were before. This is my original Super Nintendo from the 90s and it's been through a lot with me, so it feels good to treat it right.
Old Today, 03:44 PM
Slammaster

That seems out of the way, Mike. I'd say something about shipping it, but given the double whammy of normal shipping from Canada and the weight of the average CRT... I'll pass.

Also, yeah, s-video is often said to be the biggest step up in quality (SNES does do RGB, though the signal is still noisy). I'm on s-video for N64, because that's as good as it gets without a mod, and with the help of my Framemeister, it looks surprisingly good.
Old Today, 03:46 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I've got one you can have, just gotta swing through Montreal on your way to Tennessee...

Speaking of high-fidelity classic gaming, or at least medium-fidelity, I finally got a set of S-Video cables for my SNES! And also GameCube I guess. They're a pretty cheap set, but I can definitely see a difference using them. Pixels are more clearly defined and colors are less swimmy than they were before. This is my original Super Nintendo from the 90s and it's been through a lot with me, so it feels good to treat it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post
That seems out of the way, Mike. I'd say something about shipping it, but given the double whammy of normal shipping from Canada and the weight of the average CRT... I'll pass.

Also, yeah, s-video is often said to be the biggest step up in quality (SNES does do RGB, though the signal is still noisy). I'm on s-video for N64, because that's as good as it gets without a mod, and with the help of my Framemeister, it looks surprisingly good.
Don't y'all get together once a year? You could just hand it off then?
Old Today, 03:52 PM
Slammaster

Putting a CRT on an airplane seems like a massive pain in the ass, but if Mike wants it gone that badly, I'll take it.

Tags
hardware , retro games