The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-04-2019, 01:53 PM
World of Darkness Returns

I think that's my problem with the game 13 years later, is they just put systems on systems x infinity and there's no way to remember all of it. I really don't understand why Sora transforms into different things mid-battle (I assume they explained it in game between 2 and now?) or can summon game-breakingly strong amusement park rides.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:02 PM
That bug is NUTS!

Pronouns: he/him

I haven't played this and I probably won't but I did play older Kingdom Hearts games and this made me laugh

Old 02-04-2019, 04:20 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
I think that's my problem with the game 13 years later, is they just put systems on systems x infinity and there's no way to remember all of it. I really don't understand why Sora transforms into different things mid-battle (I assume they explained it in game between 2 and now?) or can summon game-breakingly strong amusement park rides.
fair.

KH3 should really be named KH5, at the very least
Old 02-04-2019, 04:27 PM
Fifth Business

To anybody who finds the game to be skewing too easy, remember that even aside from difficulty settings you can also just enable an ability at any time right in the abilities menu that will stop you from gaining experience for as long as its on, allowing you to intentionally fall behind the level curve by as much as you want, and you can simply toggle the ability off again if you ever want to resume leveling up later.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:31 PM
It Is Frame Perfect

i'm sad this game doesn't have the Command Deck
that was a good battle system
Old 02-04-2019, 04:44 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornGhost View Post
I haven't played this and I probably won't but I did play older Kingdom Hearts games and this made me laugh
Out-of-context Kingdom Hearts quotes are my new favorite genre

Old 02-04-2019, 07:49 PM
Binglebottom

Quote:
I really don't understand why Sora transforms into different things mid-battle (I assume they explained it in game between 2 and now?) or can summon game-breakingly strong amusement park rides.
These aren't things that really need to be explained.

It's like wishing that SMB explicated the mushroom => big Mario equation.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:55 PM

There is an answer to the transformation thing. His clothes have been magical since KH2. That's it. They used to absorb his allies and steal their power like a vampire. My interpretation is that now the clothes have consumed so much power that they have no need for the bodies anymore.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:22 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplo View Post
These aren't things that really need to be explained.

It's like wishing that SMB explicated the mushroom => big Mario equation.
I wouldn't worry so much if Sora didn't obsess over powers he's lost or something every time Yen Sid is in the room.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:17 PM
jiggery-pokery

They keep talking about Sora not having the power of waking, and iím all like, yeah, I feel you Sora. Iím also terrible in the mornings.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:51 AM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Pronouns: ♂

Sora clearly suffers from DSPD. I sympathize.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't worry so much if Sora didn't obsess over powers he's lost or something every time Yen Sid is in the room.
There's this odd... wrinkle to KH3's writing centering around Yen Sid specifically where there are several instances that I read intentional dismissal of Sora that borders on abusive. Gonna spoiler the rest though it takes place in the first hour or two of the game. Donald and Goofy are guilty of this any time Mickey shows up in the first couple hours, too (after playing up how much Disney loves them some exploitative capitalism with a round of insurance jokes). Hell even Riku ignores him. Sora clearly feels super bad about having lost his power, but a lot of it seems to be because so much disappointment is being projected onto him over a circumstance he had no control over. Even the way he gets overly excited about his new outfit reflects what I've seen in friends of mine who have severe depression.

Big Big Late Game Spoilers. And then Sora decides he's had enough of being told about how he's lost his power and does the thing everyone is telling him he can't do without it. And it works. And we're left scratching our heads as to why everyone was such a massive asshole to Sora over it.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:42 PM
Fifth Business

I think Toy Box is several levels of quality, scope, and imagination higher than any of the Disney worlds in the rest of the series so far. Like, I don't expect the series to actually do this great a job, I feel caught off-guard
Old 02-07-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oathbreaker View Post
There's this odd... wrinkle to KH3's writing centering around Yen Sid specifically where there are several instances that I read intentional dismissal of Sora that borders on abusive.
I get what you're saying. Kinda feels par for the course though, sadly. The whole franchise has a pretty blatant disrespect for the personal agency of its characters and most of the drama is about forcing people to do things against their will and "corrupting" them in ways that are really troubling and icky to decompress. I don't look forward to getting to the part of the game that deals with Aqua...
Old 02-07-2019, 08:24 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

On the third Disney world and it's kind of weird going through a vignette based on a movie I haven't seen. It feels like crucial scenes are missing and I'm expected to fill in the gaps.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:07 PM
Outraged!

I sure like the parts of this game they let you play. I wish they did it more often, though.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:14 PM
Just call me mop and glow

The Caribbean world is the worst. Itís 90% cut scenes.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:08 AM
jiggery-pokery

Pirates of the Caribbean world broke me, I started skipping the cutscenes because I've already seen that movie. Though I did like sailing around to random islands and finding lots of treasure.

They made the gummi ship stuff even more complex, with dozens of systems piled on top of one another ... but one of the ship statistics is completely useless. There are no blocks that improve "Mobility" so it's just going to sit there at 0. Even the ship blueprints that you can buy don't have any Mobility. Kingdom Hearts!
Old 02-10-2019, 09:59 AM
100% All Original

Some of the figure gummis have mobility - for example, Dog/G-01 has -33 and Dog/G02 has 33.

Pirates world has the worst story because I and all other people are sick to death of that franchise and Jack Sparrow in particular, and also because Pirates 3 just sucks. It's fun to sail around though! Sailing a pirate ship is fun in any video game.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 AM
-ryn

I played a bunch of Birth By Sleep this weekend.
- I like the command/meld system if only because it means I don't have an MP bar, so I can cast spells as much as I want.
- I like the finisher system that lets you also get forms based on what attacks you use. overall i felt like the combat felt pretty tactical and being too mashy was usually a bad thing (playing on normal).
- Also, you're solo for most of the game, so no Donald used all the ethers.
- Splitting the game into 3 is neat I guess. I wouldn't say it was amazing, but it is an interesting way to break up the game. It makes it feel like you're progressing really fast since you only see 1/3 of each disney world in each playthrough and keep the game feeling fresh.
- I like how because this game is set as a prequel to KH1 that they also thought about the fact that means the disney worlds are also earlier in time. So at Olympus, you meet young Herc and you meet Stitch before he gets that name so he's still just Experiment 626. Also like that they used the earlier movies.

Tags
all hail gogglebob , anime hair , aqua got norted , belts belts belts , complicated and dirty , darkness , gogglebob explains it all , gogglebob4president , goth mickey , i want her to step on me , kingdom hearts , kingdumb hearts , no sanctuary given , nomura no sale , nort boy redux , secret best poster , the hydra's back , zippers