The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 03-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they
Default The Not Worth Its own Thread - Meatspace Games Edition

I'm just going to leave this here.

Quote:
Since 2009, readers of Grognardia have been tantalized by reports from the exploration of James Maliszewski's sprawling and mysterious mega-dungeon. Inspired by pulp fantasy and science fiction, and originally created as the centerpiece for his home campaign, Dwimmermount has also been an essential vehicle for Grognardia's rediscovery of the roots and potential of roleplaying games past, present, and future.

A dozen levels deep, containing hundreds of locations, Dwimmermount is:

a tribute to the classic dungeons from which roleplaying first emerged
a long-awaited moment in the old-school renaissance
a masterwork of the skills James has developed in his extensive experience as a professional game designer helping shape the landscape of modern RPGs across a striking variety of genres and systems
crafted first and foremost to be useful at your gaming table and increase your enjoyment as a referee and gamemaster
And you can be a supporter of it on Kickstarter! If you want to.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

Hey, I was thinking of making this thread! Now I'll have someplace to talk about Warlord without feeling like a troll in the M:tG thread! None of the dwarfs I've gotten for a while have really excited me, despite one of them being a warlord I've wanted to try for a while. On the other hand, I've been really intrigued by the elves lately, of all factions, which are about as far from playing dwarfs as you can get.

I don't know what's wrong with me.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Oh hey, another thread where I can talk about Summoner Wars. This is probably one of my favorite games I've played in the past year. Basically it's a cross between a living card game and a tactical game, where your cards are your units. It's a ton of fun, and each faction players differently.

Granted, the factions aren't exactly balanced (my favorite group, the Vanguards are fun to play but pretty weak against practically every other faction), but it has a good balance between flavor and mechanics.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:25 PM
and ermine, too

Bully Pulpit Games was uploading free games all month in February, a combination of new games and old game chef entries by Jason Morningstar.
Celebrate Fiasco's status as one of Gamespite's top 8 board games of 2012* by downloading some free games!

Link here: http://www.bullypulpitgames.com/down...ndex.php?cat=8

I like the Lady Blackbird hack, Death School.

Quote:
"It's the CIA's most elite school for covert agents. America's deadliest enemies are coming with a final exam."

Death School is an over-the-top eighties-action-movie-themed Lady Blackbird hack. Bring a flag; you will be waving it. Be advised: This game is ludicrously offensive in all the ways jingoistic eighties films were.
*This is a lie
Old 03-08-2012, 11:31 PM

I suppose this would be the best thread for this. I don't know why, but for some reason or other I woke up this morning with an intense desire to start running this thing.

I probably should have pointed it out earlier, since right now I'm pretty much getting ready to pack it in for the night, but... yeah I'm having a lot of fun with this thing. I'm half-tempted to try and toss this together as an actual game-game, but some of the forthcoming upgrades would be pretty horrific to try coding.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Speaking of kick starters, I recently bought in to the Mobile Frame Zero one. It looks like it could be very cool! The original rules - released under the name "Mechaton" - were interesting and succinct.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Fun Club Agent

I have a thing I'm trying to do that's relevant to all y'all's interests.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

The AVClub has started a column on trying out geek hobbies that the writer missed. The first column is on RPGs. Nice shout outs to Fiasco, Apocalypse World (and Dungeon World), and D&D. I thought it was a pretty decent overview of what's out there, and I still would kill for a chance to try out Apocalypse/Dungeon World one of these days.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:00 AM
and ermine, too

The glimpses at his childhood are the real amazing parts of that article. Really nice to see that Dungeon World and Lady Blackbird were his favorite parts of the weekend, but it's also affirming to see the games that just plain misfired. Sometimes it happens, even when you're not at a convention.

There's a YouTube show premiering in two weeks where Wil Wheaton and other geek celebrities (and non-celebrities!) play tabletop games. I heard that the Fiasco episode will feature John Rogers as a guest (source). This finally fulfills a co-workers request for a well-produced actual play video of Fiasco, AND several other board games and RPGs in the process.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Dick Gumshoe Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pence View Post
The glimpses at his childhood are the real amazing parts of that article. Really nice to see that Dungeon World and Lady Blackbird were his favorite parts of the weekend, but it's also affirming to see the games that just plain misfired. Sometimes it happens, even when you're not at a convention.

There's a YouTube show premiering in two weeks where Wil Wheaton and other geek celebrities (and non-celebrities!) play tabletop games. I heard that the Fiasco episode will feature John Rogers as a guest (source). This finally fulfills a co-workers request for a well-produced actual play video of Fiasco, AND several other board games and RPGs in the process.
John Rogers on that means that the show went from something I might check out occasionally to something that I'll definitely be looking forward to, because Rogers is awesome.

I also should be getting Fiasco on Friday, I just need to find a group to play it with.

EDIT: And the author is one of my favorite writers on the AVClub because he tends to place some of his reviews in context of his childhood or past, and it's something I really like.

Also, speaking of misfiring games, I just had to put down my old campaign because of a variety of issues. It was the odd case of me not having nearly as much fun, and some of my players who didn't seem to be having much fun either, trying to argue that we should keep it alive, even though it just felt like it wasn't working at all.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Hawkguy

I've heard so much about Fiasco but without watching a group play it, I can't commit to it.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:05 AM
Random guy

Default The Not Worth Its own Thread - Meatspace Games Edition

Not sure this is the best place to post this, but it is about a board game after all...

Has there been a TT chess club in the past? Does anyone other than me have interest in such a thing?

I haven't played in years myself, but nowadays I kinda want to get back to it...
Old 06-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywatson View Post
Not sure this is the best place to post this, but it is about a board game after all...

Has there been a TT chess club in the past? Does anyone other than me have interest in such a thing?

I haven't played in years myself, but nowadays I kinda want to get back to it...
I'd be interested. I'm not super big on playing chess, but I'd love to learn more theory.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywatson View Post

I'd be interested. I know very little and I'm not very good, but I always enjoy learning about it.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:58 PM
heh

I know I'm personally not judging anybody. I get the appeal. 40k is a cool as hell setting and the miniatures are great. I still look through galleries of them from time to time. It's just not the game for me.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:08 AM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekun View Post
I know I'm personally not judging anybody. I get the appeal. 40k is a cool as hell setting and the miniatures are great. I still look through galleries of them from time to time. It's just not the game for me.
I've been having a hard time here, telling when someone is criticizing a person for liking something (since this is how everyone on the internet behaves by default) or merely expressing a distaste for the thing itself. I understand why people like MTG as well but its charm wore off for me.

Still, I get the feeling that bringing up 40K is not something anyone here wants to see so I should keep from talking about it.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:09 AM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I've been having a hard time here, telling when someone is criticizing a person for liking something (since this is how everyone on the internet behaves by default) or merely expressing a distaste for the thing itself. I understand why people like MTG as well but its charm wore off for me.

Still, I get the feeling that bringing up 40K is not something anyone here wants to see so I should keep from talking about it.

No way, definitely still post about it, especially if those posts involve pictures of your armies because that shit is cool as all get-out.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:36 AM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

One night mafia is great!
Old 05-26-2014, 05:57 PM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

I have the rules and the jenga tower (even had it in my bag last pax prime) but I've never played...
Old 05-26-2014, 11:47 PM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
I have the rules and the jenga tower (even had it in my bag last pax prime) but I've never played...
Man, if only you were best friends with someone who was burning to play.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:16 AM

The kickstarter for BattleCON: War Remastered launched today. I might be the only person here who doesn't actually have BattleCON yet though?

Two thoughts:

First: I know with the Argent kickstarter I pledged enough to get Devestation with it, so I'm going to have to look at that and see what's included in my pledge there before I pledge on this one; these Level 99 projects are getting kind of incestuous in their reward tiers.

Second: That tournament kit add-on seems like something that could be fun to have a few people chip in for and split up the promos, though.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:09 PM
heh

I don't own BattleCON and the art on those cards looks so much better than the original. I'm in!
Old 06-14-2014, 10:39 PM

As you might have noticed I have a bit of an itch to play a minis game right now. Looking at the Fantasy Flight website, I think the Warhammer Diskwars game would be within my budget (definitely way more than Warhammer or Warmahordes), but I'm still running up against the issue of finding players. Playing at the local game store isn't really an option and the guy I usually game with hasn't played a tabletop strategy game more complicated than Stratego - he says Diskwars "looks awkward" to him.

Does anyone here have any experience with Diskwars, Warhammer or otherwise, and can share their experience with it? I dunno what my friend's issues with it specifically are, but the one thing I see as being potentially awkward is the movement system.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:01 PM
Banned

So... I can't take credit for any of this really. All I did was the visuals, the owner of MicroStack is using what I give him to get some very interesting attention. As just one example, this tweet from Z-Man games, manufacturers of Agricola, Carcassonne, creators of The Walking Dead board game and hundreds of others, including their recent success Pandemic.

As another example he did an AMA that was on the front page of AMA for 2 days, just a few spots below an AMA by Sinbad (the comedian, not the dead pirate king).

As another example an imgur album we recently collaborated on got 7k views in about 9 hours.

So that's a thing that's happening. I can't wait to link the pnp files here and see if anyone wants to try Nate's game out. He's frankly something of a mechanics genius from what I've gathered talking and playtesting with him and it's very cool to be a part of this.

I'm terrified.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:27 PM

Default Uh-oh, if I don't post quickly this thread might go two whole posts without me!

(Psst, Guild - you might want to actually mention the name of your friend's game, maybe with a link to some info. All I could find was the "This will happen someday" forum post on BGG.)

Is it already time for my semi-annual post begging for someone to run a campaign? It's about a semi-annum since the last time I played an RPG, so I guess it is! I don't suppose anyone has time to run a short game for their fellow forum-goers on the weekends this summer? It doesn't have to be anything too long, maybe just half a dozen sessions, even. And it certainly doesn't have to be anything D&D-derived and d20-based, either!

I know I need to off to run a game myself one of these days instead of just bumming game sessions off my buddies all the time. Maybe once I get a job that doesn't require me to get home twelve hours after I leave for work every day.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:14 AM
Banned

Oh whoops. I don't tweet, still figuring twitter out.

https://twitter.com/MicroStackGames/...99996579876864

The twitter feed for the first like XX tweets shows most of my involvement that's gone public, but there's quite a lot that isn't going to be shown yet for campaigning timing reasons.

Well anyway it's still a lot of work to playtest, at a rate of 3 games a night we might have a nice pool of data in a few months with no outside help, so it's a process. We did finally play a game where no design aspects have to be tweaked, and he's still in the middle of the ongoing mechanics balancing part which he's been working on for 3 years as I may have mentioned.

He might want to do a kickstarter. I might help if the timing's right and MicroStack wants the help. Dunno though, mostly I'm just giving him art and watching to see what happens next with bemused interest.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Is it already time for my semi-annual post begging for someone to run a campaign? It's about a semi-annum since the last time I played an RPG, so I guess it is! I don't suppose anyone has time to run a short game for their fellow forum-goers on the weekends this summer? It doesn't have to be anything too long, maybe just half a dozen sessions, even. And it certainly doesn't have to be anything D&D-derived and d20-based, either!
So... 2 months ago when my twice-a-week Pathfinder group gets collective burnout and falls apart, you don't ask, but THE DAY they get me to put my GM hat on and return to maximum capacity, you're looking?

Best I can do is point out an actively recruiting game on the official Eclipse Phase forums run by a total stranger where I may be playing this incredibly @#$%ed up how-am-I-not-chickening-out-of-this character a random generator spit at me.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:56 PM

Got my latest amazon order in today.

Seriously, why am I allowed to take care of my own money?
Old 02-02-2015, 08:57 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Seriously, why am I allowed to take care of my own money?
if you're really concerned, i can take care of it for you
Old 02-17-2015, 10:46 AM
King Of Space-Time

I'll take the job! 10% off the top, and I'll manage your funds.

Tags
board games , fear of new threads , not worth its own thread , pen and paper rpgs , traditional games