The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 03-11-2019, 07:07 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

The good the bad and the ugly is nothing short of a miracle.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:09 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

I only saw part of Good Bad and Ugly once on TV with my father and it was the shootout in the graveyard.

For about five minutes nothing but close-ups on characters eyes and gradually swelling music. When the bullets finally start flying it’s all over too fast to tell what just happened.

It was one of the most tense action scenes I’d ever seen. My dad said it was boring because it was just five minutes of eyeballs.

I... think more of my taste in movies comes from him than I’d care to admit.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:11 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
I’ve been curious about Disney’s turn of the millennium 2-D animation output since it is a bit of a blank spot nestled between the 90’s renascence and Pixar’s dominance of the 00’s. I’ve heard Treasure Planet might be a secret good movie, and Lilo & Stitch has a lot of fans, so it’s looking up for me.
It's an odd and interesting time for the studio. You've got a few films that are hidden gems inasmuch as a Disney movie can be, and then others that are just there, like Brother Bear and Home on the Range.

The one time I tried to watch Treasure Planet, I didn't make it through. However that was like 11 years ago and I might feel differently now. The one tidbit I remember about it is that it was a longtime passion project for its creators, and they were finally given a greenlight from the studio only under the stipulation that they first make a movie that was as widely appealing as possible (that movie ended up being Hercules.)
Old 03-11-2019, 07:20 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
It was one of the most tense action scenes I’d ever seen. My dad said it was boring because it was just five minutes of eyeballs.

I... think more of my taste in movies comes from him than I’d care to admit.
The climax of the good the bad and the ugly. is

A. Three dudes standing perfectly still, staring at eachother for five minutes.
B. One of the most intense action scenes of all time.
C. A perfect demonstration on how you can tell an entire story with nothing but music and close ups on small details.
D. ALL OF THE ABOVE.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:23 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

That sequence where you can see The Bad's hand slowly edging towards his gun,

Then it cuts to the Good's unblinking stare.

And then it's just the bad's hand moving back to where it was a second ago like "Fuck nevermind not ready for that shit yet.".
Old 03-11-2019, 07:44 AM
Outraged!

Wreck it Ralph 2: The Emoji Movie was not great. I missed the great characters from the first movie (Knowsmore was probably the only new character I liked. Alan Tudyk is a hell of a voice actor, glad they found something else for him).

The princess scene was cute and the only thing my daughter cared about, even if a lot of those designs were creepy as hell. CGI-ing cinderella would be a bit tricky, sure, but how did they screw up Rapunzel?
Old 03-11-2019, 08:49 AM
This Guy

Hey are we talking The Good the Bad and the Ugly? I second pretty much all of BEAT's posts.

Have we talked about how great Eli Wallach is in that movie? You've got these two inexorable forces in Eastwood's Blondie and Van Cleef's Angel Eyes, and caught between them is the somewhat bumbling Tuco. I mean, the shootout scene tells you all you need to know. Angel Eyes and Blondie squint, Tuco is wide eyed and his lip trembles a bit. And in the end his gun wasn't even loaded. He isn't going to give up his chance at the treasure, but he is always the low man in that trio. He's the best part of the movie.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:14 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Hot takes comin' in:

The Good/Bad/Oogly is a good movie, but it's too long, and drags like Hell for large swathes of time, so it's probably my least favorite of Leone's movies? Like it's obviously good, and the end scene is obviously incredible and one of the GOATs, but it's a good 3 hour movie with the greatest 2 (or maybe even 2 and a half) hour movie of all time buried in there.

Terminator is the only great Terminator thing. I really wish Schwarzengger had played more villains, because he still has his screen presence but in Terminator he channels that into being one of the most intimidating and unstoppable villains of all time, and he's SO GOOD at it. That movie is relentless and terrifying and expertly paced. Everything else in the entire franchise is not that, at all, in any way, and that's a huge drag. I feel like we, as a people, have fundamentally missed what was great about that movie since literally every Terminator-branded thing after was nowhere near as good
Old 03-11-2019, 12:22 PM
SEARING RED GAZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
The Good/Bad/Oogly is a good movie, but it's too long, and drags like Hell for large swathes of time, so it's probably my least favorite of Leone's movies? Like it's obviously good, and the end scene is obviously incredible and one of the GOATs, but it's a good 3 hour movie with the greatest 2 (or maybe even 2 and a half) hour movie of all time buried in there.
I seriously can't think of a single thing I'd cut.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:12 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but I definitely remember the Civil War battle dragging on for way too long. I'd have to rewatch it to get more specific, but I don't have that kinda time *ba dum psh*
Old 03-11-2019, 05:39 PM
This Guy

In terms of plot relevance or necessity, I guess you could cut that whole battle scene out, but I don't really know why you would want to. Why cut good scenes out of great movies when there are tons of bad movies that already don't have good scenes to watch?
Old 03-11-2019, 07:09 PM
SEARING RED GAZE

If I was to backseat scriptwrite I GUESS I could conceed taking the civil war battle over the bridge out, finding another way for Blondie & Tuco to share secrets.

But I would never fucking do that.

Because the civil war scene is FUCKING IMPORTANT.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:36 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
Terminator is the only great Terminator thing. I really wish Schwarzengger had played more villains, because he still has his screen presence but in Terminator he channels that into being one of the most intimidating and unstoppable villains of all time, and he's SO GOOD at it. That movie is relentless and terrifying and expertly paced. Everything else in the entire franchise is not that, at all, in any way, and that's a huge drag. I feel like we, as a people, have fundamentally missed what was great about that movie since literally every Terminator-branded thing after was nowhere near as good
Terminator 1 and Titanic have structural and thematic similarities, perhaps more than T1 and T2 do.

In addition to what this article mentions, in both movies:

There is a terrifying, unstoppable force, Arnold in T1 and the water in Titanic.

There are authority figures who are supposed to protect people (T1's cops and Titanic's lifeboat crews) but are woefully unprepared.

The hero gets handcuffed and separated from the lady just as the Terminator/water start closing in.

The hero and lady make love to quiet piano music halfway through the story.

There's a catchphrase that went mainstream.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:12 PM
Senhor Member

Greta: hahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahhahah a oh my GOD
Old 03-12-2019, 08:13 PM
Senhor Member

Any time Greta starts speaking Hungarian>
Old 03-12-2019, 08:17 PM
Senhor Member

An astonishing companion piece to that classic, Orphan. U think this lady is from one famous European country but in fact she is from a more obscure, Finno-Ugric speaking one. Also just a consistently deranged experience.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:30 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
If I was to backseat scriptwrite I GUESS I could conceed taking the civil war battle over the bridge out, finding another way for Blondie & Tuco to share secrets.

But I would never fucking do that.

Because the civil war scene is FUCKING IMPORTANT.
Also, why would you want to.

I don't consider myself an impatient movie-goer but there is certainly a difference between "this long movie is good" and "that movie I just watched was good WAIT, THAT HAPPENED FOR THREE HOURS?" Its a movie that I can just put on and I don't even care about the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Hey are we talking The Good the Bad and the Ugly? I second pretty much all of BEAT's posts.

Have we talked about how great Eli Wallach is in that movie? You've got these two inexorable forces in Eastwood's Blondie and Van Cleef's Angel Eyes, and caught between them is the somewhat bumbling Tuco. I mean, the shootout scene tells you all you need to know. Angel Eyes and Blondie squint, Tuco is wide eyed and his lip trembles a bit. And in the end his gun wasn't even loaded. He isn't going to give up his chance at the treasure, but he is always the low man in that trio. He's the best part of the movie.
Tuco is the best part of the movie. Dude is scum but he is still strangely the most likable of the three leads. The scene where he meets his brother is powerful stuff (especially when Tuco talks about him after he leaves his company.

Really, it also helps that... the movie is essentially cowboy Looney Tunes and Blondie and Tuco are Bugs and Daffy. And I always preferred Daffy. Bugs wins the day. Usually deserves to. But Daffy gets more pathos because of his failures. Despite his barbarism, Tuco's smarter than he seems ("Shoot, don't talk" is good advice) and really can take care of himself but up against the other two leads he's usually outmatched in the wits department.

Also, I rarely buy film scores. Guess what one of the exceptions is?

Guys, I think we need a Leone, thread. Called Five Minutes of Eyeballs.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:24 PM
This Guy

Fighting With My Family is solidly good little sports biopic. You can feel Stephen Merchant's touch as director and it is appreciated. It deals a lot in sports cliches, but it does so with enough humor to make it mostly very enjoyable. Fewer wrestler cameos than I expected. (Which isn't to say there are few wrestler cameos, I just expected more) I am kind of a sucker for sibling stuff, and it works well here. The whole movie just kind of works, even if it isn't great.

I also saw Triple Frontier on Netflix. It is close to being great, but it is actually maybe kind of bad. If could have leaned into its pulpiness, with a group of ex-special forces guys rob a South American drug lord and try to steal his cash. Instead, it tries to be more serious about it. It feels like the movie really wants to have something to say, but it doesn't manage to say it. It portrays actions and people that are morally grey, at best, but kind of ends on a note like everyone learned something, which I don't think happened.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:07 AM
Back to the Bear

I watched Back to the Future III, for the first time in a long time. I guess I forgot that the opener took place in Doc Brown's house... for some reason I thought it started at the drive-in theater, where Marty launched himself into 1885. That lapse of memory aside, I enjoyed myself, just as I did when I watched it as a teenager. Thomas Wilson makes a great outlaw, with buggy eyes and a loud raspy voice that makes him amusing, yet also kind of frightening. The battle between him and Michael J. Fox at the film's climax (well, one of them at least) was a lot of fun too.

One thing I hadn't realized until now was that the music they played during the party was a 19th century take on ZZ Top's Double Back! Clever twist there.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:14 AM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Played by ZZ Top themselves!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:04 PM
Back to the Bear

See, I didn't notice that either. They kind of blended into their surroundings, heh.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:12 PM
Trinitron Enthusiast

12 Angry Men remains one of the best films ever made. Sadly, I doubt many jury rooms across the country have a Henry Fonda type who will force the jury to deliberate and really analyze the case and gave a hair hearing to the man whose life is at stake.
Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
Sadly, I doubt many jury rooms across the country have a Henry Fonda type who will force the jury to deliberate and really analyze the case and gave a hair hearing to the man whose life is at stake.
Or bring a knife to court.
Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM
The metal babble flees!

Pronouns: she/her or they/them

Lego Movie 2: a story about reconciling the girls'/pink zone of the toy store with the boys', not entirely successfully, considering the girl side for 2/3 of the movie is presented as invasive and effete, the film seeming to equate those two adjectives. I'd have been happier if had been apparent that the characters had chosen to go glittery from the get-go, rather than the perception being that they'd been brainwashed into it until, toward the end of the movie, they tell Emmett that they weren't. So it isn't unalloyed fun, although the essential message isn't a bad one, which is that children playing together is better than fighting, and also that parents should buy all the Legos they can afford so their children can go wildly creative in as many mashed-together styles as their imaginations can conceive.

Last edited by Rosewood; Yesterday at 12:10 PM. Reason: clarifying some of the plot
Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Or bring a knife to court.
Then you bring a gun to court - that's the Chicago way.
Old Today, 07:36 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

I never forget exactly how good Silence of the Lambs is, but each time I rewatch it, it creeps up even higher in my favorite movies.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , rooster cogburn , several live eels , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road