The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-22-2019, 06:04 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Default Oh, Oscar, Oscar, Oscar (2019)

For those interested, here are the Oscar noms for the year. I have some comments but I'll get back to them later, when I am less busy. Needless to say, thanks for the reprieve of the "best popular movie category".

https://news.avclub.com/here-are-the...rds-1831946888

Popped for size
Best Picture
Black Panther
BlackKklansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Roma
A Star Is Born
Vice

Best Actress
Yalitza Aparicio, Roma
Glenn Close, The Wife
Olivia Colman, The Favourite
Lady Gaga, A Star Is Born
Melissa McCarthy, Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Best Actor
Christian Bale, Vice
Bradley Cooper, A Star Is Born
Willem Dafoe, At Eternity’s Gate
Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody
Viggo Mortensen, Green Book

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams, Vice
Marina de Tavira, Roma
Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
Emma Stone, The Favourite
Rachel Weisz, The Favourite

Best Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali, Green Book
Adam Driver, BlackKklansman
Sam Elliott, A Star Is Born
Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Sam Rockwell, Vice

Best Director
Spike Lee, BlackKklansman
Paweł Pawlikowski, Cold War
Yorgos Lanthimos, The Favourite
Alfonso Cuarón, Roma
Adam McKay, Vice

Best Adapted Screenplay
The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs
BlackKklansman
Can You Ever Forgive Me?
If Beale Street Could Talk
A Star Is Born

Best Original Screenplay
The Favourite
First Reformed
Green Book
Roma
Vice

Best Foreign Language Film
Capernaum (Lebanon)
Cold War (Poland)
Never Look Away (Germany)
Roma (Mexico)
Shoplifters (Japan)

Best Production Design
Black Panther
The Favourite
First Man
Mary Poppins Returns
Roma

Best Visual Effects
Avengers: Infinity War
Christopher Robin
First Man
Ready Player One
Solo: A Star Wars Story

Best Editing
BlackKklansman
Bohemian Rhapsody
The Favourite
Green Book
Vice

Best Cinematography
Cold War
The Favourite
Never Look Away
Roma
A Star Is Born

Best Animated Feature
Incredibles 2
Isle Of Dogs
Mirai
Ralph Breaks The Internet
Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse

Best Documentary Feature
Free Solo
Hale County, This Morning This Evening
Minding The Gap
Of Fathers And Sons
RBG

Best Costume Design
The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs
Black Panther
The Favourite
Mary Poppins
Mary Queen Of Scots

Best Makeup And Hairstyling
Border
Mary Queen Of Scots
Vice

Best Original Score
Black Panther
BlackKklansman
If Beale Street Could Talk
Isle of Dogs
Mary Poppins Returns

Best Original Song
“All The Stars,” Black Panther
“I Will Fight,” RBG
“The Place Where Lost Things Go,” Mary Poppins Returns
“Shallow,” A Star Is Born
“When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings,” The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs

Best Sound Editing
Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
First Man
A Quiet Place
Roma

Best Sound Mixing
Black Panther
Bohemian Rhapsody
First Man
Roma
A Star Is Born

Best Animated Short Film
Animal Behavior
Bao
Late Afternoon
One Small Step
Weekends

Best Documentary Short Subject
Black Sheep
End Game
Lifeboat
A Night At The Garden
Period. End Of Sentence

Best Live Action Short Film
Detainment
Fauve
Marguerite
Mother
Skin
Old 01-22-2019, 06:07 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

Still playin' it safe, I see
Old 01-22-2019, 06:20 AM
World of Darkness Returns

I already said it on Twitter but- Sorry to Bother You didn't even get a nomination so I know that the Oscars are still bullshit.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:50 AM
Find Your Reason

I'm amazed Disney thinks Ralph or Incredibles are anywhere near Oscar material. Just because they put out a movie (or two) shouldn't automatically get them a nomination.

That said, I also still have no idea why Roma is held in such high regard. It has great cinematography, and my parents were amused at recalling so many elements of their youth, but it's a very bland film held up by one absolutely brilliant performance.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:54 AM
Born in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
but it's a very bland film held up by one absolutely brilliant performance.
This is like, perfect Oscar material.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:57 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Probably better that than Green Book or Bohemian Rhapsody, which were Oscar bait from the word go and don't have much beyond that, from what I hear. And I love Black Panther and, while it sounds silly to say it, it really is an important movie in the world of blockbuster genre pictures AND I think it will be fondly remembered for decades to come (something a lot of best picture winners neither get nor deserve). But I feel like there are probably a lot of films that I would put before it, if I had seen more films this year. But I'd probably still prefer that to the Oscar baity and aforementioned Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody (again, from what I hear. I've actually seen neither.

I would have been happy if Michael B. Jordan got a nom for playing Marvel's best villain ever, though.

Also, I know "Shallow" is a shoe-in for best song, but I would be pleased as punch if “When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings” won. Here's hoping that they play live versions of the songs during the show, because I would LOVE to see this live.

Also, as I am typing this, I'm really shocked that If Beale Street Could Talk wasn't nominated for best picture, due to it being really well-regarded, a prescient picture and one with the pedigree of a previous best winner. Buster Scruggs not getting an Oscar nom is no surprise but... just knock Green Book out and shove it in there.

I really wish I wasn't really sick the night JBear and friends went to see Blackkklansman. This year, I vow to try to see more movies in the theatre, but that'll be harder to do with JBear since he don't have a car no more.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:48 AM
What Time Is It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
I already said it on Twitter but- Sorry to Bother You didn't even get a nomination so I know that the Oscars are still bullshit.
Where would you have put it? (I woulda liked best song at least since the credits track is goood. Screenplay?)

I saw and liked Sorry to Bother You, but I think it was a bit too messy of a film. Which was kind of funny since me and my girlfriend saw BlackKklansman a few weeks later I think there was some talk of that movie feeling a bit loose in places but since the last movie we'd seen was Sorry to Bother You we were like "Seemed fairly tight to us!".

Then again the only noms for best pic that I've seen are BlackKklansman and Black Panther, so maybe there is a space there for Sorry to Bother You after all.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
I'm amazed Disney thinks Ralph or Incredibles are anywhere near Oscar material. Just because they put out a movie (or two) shouldn't automatically get them a nomination.
You should never be surprised or amazed with how awful the Oscars are. Especially in the animation quarantine zone category. I mean, for god’s sake last year we had Boss Baby as a nominee but not a single film from Japan there. The Oscars are a trash fire, and they’re only noteworthy as a tool for observing how out of touch and up its own ass the Hollywood establishment is.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:55 AM
Senhor Member

I’m just glad the voters of all these terrible awards shows don’t see the appeal of A Star Is Born... just like me.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:04 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
The Oscars are a trash fire, and they’re only noteworthy as a tool for observing how out of touch and up its own ass the Hollywood establishment is.
Yep. I'm still going to watch them, because my friend has an Oscars party every year and it's fun to fill out our predictions. But, they are bad and they will continue to be bad. Look for movies that praise Hollywood or somehow prop up Hollywood and those are the ones that will win. If there's some huge outrage they may hand out a few trophies to mollify a contingent, but they are not going to radically change or start looking at whether movies are actually good or not.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:22 AM
It's dog eat dog

I thought Roma was simple in terms of plot, maybe, but not bland. Good cinematography goes a long way with me though. That's the long shot I'm rooting for.

Seeing things like Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Door not just make it in but be frontrunners has really diminished my desire to watch the Oscars this year, even compared with previous bad nominees. They are just so nakedly horseshit to a degree you can't even say about The Danish Girl.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:23 AM
concentrate

I'm calling it: Roma will NOT win best picture, as it was not nominated for best film editing. Only one movie (Birdman) has won best picture without having a nomination for editing as well.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:31 AM
Cool Guy

Toni Colette killed it in Hereditary, and should have gotten a nomination. The whole damn movie should have been nominated.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:55 AM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Pronouns: He/Him

As someone who enjoys oscar bullshit, i'm gonna stay out of this thread, but

Green Book's gonna win best picture
Old 01-22-2019, 11:01 AM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
Toni Colette killed it in Hereditary, and should have gotten a nomination. The whole damn movie should have been nominated.
Also: Suspiria, Mandy

Oscars are the tyranny of good taste.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:18 AM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonetrope View Post
I thought Roma was simple in terms of plot, maybe, but not bland. Good cinematography goes a long way with me though. That's the long shot I'm rooting for.

Seeing things like Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Door not just make it in but be frontrunners has really diminished my desire to watch the Oscars this year, even compared with previous bad nominees. They are just so nakedly horseshit to a degree you can't even say about The Danish Girl.
Yeah, I agree with this.

I'd have loved to see Sorry to Bother You get some love, but that wasn't happening.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:30 AM
Born in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli T View Post
Only one movie (Birdman) has won best picture without having a nomination for editing as well.
Which is weird because the editing is the only good thing about the movie.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:40 PM
Sega CD version is better

I mean, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Black Panther and all, but I'm not sure it's best picture material. I wouldn't even rank it the year's best superhero movie specifically featuring a black lead actor for that matter (I REALLY liked Into the Spiderverse).
Old 01-22-2019, 04:43 PM

BlacKKKlansman, The Favourite, and Roma were all incredible films, better than any of the pictures nominated at many Oscars. The Favourite alone almost makes up for all the sterile period dreck the Oscars have nominated. I can see disagreeing with a decision or two but I can't see this as a particularly bad set of nominations.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:22 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Also, like, the last two Best Picture winners were a Guillermo del Toro fantasy romance about being horny for a fish-man and Barry Jenkins' beautifully shot and performed exploration of black queer masculinity.

Maybe they'll screw it up this year because they have often in the past and so I feel like there must be a stinker year pretty soon to balance things out, but . . . the recent track record of the Oscars is pretty decent?

I feel like a lot of the discussion here is pretty divorced from the reality of what the Oscars have been like recently.

On a separate note, FWIW, Boots Riley says that basically they had no chance at being nominated for Sorry to Bother You because they didn't run a For Your Consideration ad campaign in industry trades and send out mass screeners, which is basically a prerequisite to be in the running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
I'm really shocked that If Beale Street Could Talk wasn't nominated for best picture, due to it being really well-regarded, a prescient picture and one with the pedigree of a previous best winner.
I have not seen this yet because I'm trying to read the novel first and haven't yet made the time because my To Read pile is near infinite, but this is definitely what I expect to be retroactively annoyed about not being nominated.

Last edited by estragon; 01-22-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:35 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
So the director actually came out about this and said that he's not bothered because basically they didn't bother trying to get it into the Oscars; he didn't seem to care enough to run a campaign to get it in. No "for your consideration" ads or anything.

Don't get me wrong, StBY is easily one of the 2 best movies of last year in my book, but it's not like they got slighted, necessarily.

Of course, as for what that all says about the whole Oscar nomination and voting process, well, as anyone with half a brain knows, fuck the Oscars anyway, they're horseshit.

I mean, Bohemian Rhapsody is a fucking awful movie. It's absolutely dreadful from top to bottom. It should have 1 and exactly 1 nomination: best actor for Rami Malek, and straight-up deserves Razzies for everything else. And yet, here we are.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:52 PM

I'm living in the country right now, so i've only seen First Reformed of the list. I've loved it.

I'm sad that i couldn't see Shoplifters in the theater. It is not the same thing watching it at home. Alas, it will have to do. I would like to rewatch some of Koreeda's earlier work too (Maborosi and Distance, to be specific), to see how much he has changed.

Last edited by clarice; 01-22-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I feel like a lot of the discussion here is pretty divorced from the reality of what the Oscars have been like recently.
Your friendly reminder that this is how Oscar voters operate:

Old 01-23-2019, 06:55 AM
It's dog eat dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeDinosaur View Post
BlacKKKlansman, The Favourite, and Roma were all incredible films, better than any of the pictures nominated at many Oscars. The Favourite alone almost makes up for all the sterile period dreck the Oscars have nominated. I can see disagreeing with a decision or two but I can't see this as a particularly bad set of nominations.
The high quality (and diversity) of a lot of the nominations just made it sting more that it seemed like the pandering movies were going to sail to victory. But the awards sites are now saying the actual nominations have swung Best Pic toward BlacKkKlansman and Roma. So that's pretty cool!
Old 01-23-2019, 07:00 AM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Those two films this voter pisses all over are like two of the best animated films made this century imho walking away before the seeth comes
Old 01-23-2019, 07:04 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Very upset that A STAR IS BORN is on the best picture list because fuck that movie.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:06 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

A star is born feels like it's custom-designed to win Oscars, because it's a movie about how DIFFICULT and NOBLE it is to be famous, something every member of the Academy absolutely agrees with.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:02 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Honestly, I find it hard to be emotionally invested with the Oscars one way or the other, as every winner seems to be destined for irrelevance.

Off the top of your head, how many of the past ten Best Picture winners can you recall?

And of those that you remember, how many have you sought out to watch more than once?
Old 01-23-2019, 08:26 AM
Born in the USA

Judging the value of a movie by how many times you've seen it is the philosophy of a Golden Corral regular
Old 01-23-2019, 08:40 AM

Yeah, there are powerful movies that stay with you and that are not meant to be rewatched, i think. Or at least not on a regular basis. Movies like Stalker come to mind.

There is one great movie among the last ten winners in my opinion; Moonlight. And it has been more than ten years since No Country For Old Men, huh?

Anyway giving prize for art over other art is dumb.

Tags
academy awards , oscars