The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 02-20-2017, 04:57 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
Either that or the sun in this metaphor represents hope/happiness/life/etc. and this is actually a song about an abusive relationship, but I don't think that's what they were going for.
While there isn't a turn of a phrase or a half-clever wordplay Jim Steinman wouldn't happily murder an entire set of lyrics in service of, he does tell us what is causing the eclipse.

Your love is like a shadow on me all of the time (all of the time)/I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark

It can be interpreted as an abusive relationship, but there's an obvious fear of being loved, or of not being worth the love you're given. Or maybe just old plain' fear of commitment - which would make sense, since all of Jim Steinman's songs are about boning or about Peter Pan syndrome. Some times, about both at the same time!

Or maybe we're just over-analyzing it because

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
That song makes significantly more sense when you know that it was originally titled "Vampires In Love". (Not a joke. Actually fact.)
Beowulf knows his Steinman trivia. And gives me the perfect opportunity to link to this post and embed this video again:

Old 02-20-2017, 05:16 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
Probably. Also, Elenor Rigby is a horrifying monster that Father MacKenzie has to put down.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
I hadn't ever considered that but it makes a lot of sense.

But then, she keeps her face beside her door! How many ways could you interpret that?
Old 02-21-2017, 10:17 AM
PROGRAMMED BY NASIR

Pronouns: ♂

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
But then, she keeps her face beside her door! How many ways could you interpret that?
Clearly she keeps her faces by the door and puts on whichever one she needs as she's walking out. I'd like to think she stole these faces from other women. Think Mombi in Return to Oz but with faces instead of heads.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:41 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
I'd like to think she stole these faces from other women.
This was the crux of the D&D adventure I wrote, actually. Eleanor killed women, peeled their faces off their skulls, and literally kept them in a little jar when she wasn't using them as a ragged covering for the giant hideous maw that her own face had turned into.

D&D, man.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:21 AM
Puzzle-Solving Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Beowulf knows his Steinman trivia. And gives me the perfect opportunity to link to this post and embed this video again:
I was lucky enough to see Dance of the Vampires during its very brief Broadway run. (I saw Dracula: The Musical that same season, and had tickets to Lestat: The Musical, but the latter closed before I could use those tickets.) It was delightfully-glorious over-acted schlock. Michael Crawford (of Phantom of the Opera fame) doing the entire Hot Summer Nights opening exchange with a straight face! René Auberjonois as the patter-songing Van Helsing character! Vampires in Love! The lyric, "Garlic! Garlic! It's why we're so well-hung!"

It was amazing.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:07 PM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO
Default I FUCKIN LOVE THIS STUPIDASS SONG.

We arrived right on time
We arrived right on time
Right on time.

Alright, Tim Armstrong and his friends are quite punctual. That tracks with the live shows I've seen them at. So far so good!

Oh, a punch drunk fella wears a crown of thorns
And an angel met under closed off fort
And an April 6th, can never be brought
And a handsome fella can never be caught

Okay Tim, you were doing well but you lost me here. First of all, who's this punch drunk fella, and why is he being treated as an allegory for Christ? Who's the angel meeting under the fort? Why'd they close it?! And who're they meeting? Is it the handsome fella or the punch drunk fella? Are they punch drunk fella and the handsome fella the SAME fella?

Also, What happened on April 6?

Did something happen on April 6 that I'm supposed to know about?

Broken jeans, it's a ghetto, a mosaic of molten steel

Did... did you mean to say "broken dreams" because broken dreams are a thing I can understand, especially in a ghetto! Broken jeans though, what are they like ripped or too tight or what. WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY, TIM?

We arrived right on time
We arrived right on time
Right on time

TIM I GET IT YOU ARE QUITE TIMELY. Can we please circle back to the Punch Drunk/Handome fellas and the Angels and forts and stuff? I feel like we're just sort of glossing over all that.

Got to find a road where they really can scope
With a simmered sun and a hard sailing boat
And they just take, take a vampire's throat
We run and we pack, we run all night long

TIM PLEASE.

I'M STILL STUCK ON THE CLOSED OFF FORT AND NOW YOU'VE MOVED ONTO VAMPIRES IS THE VAMPIRE THE HANDSOME FELLA? THE PUNCH DRUNK FELLA? BOTH?

WHY DOES THIS ROAD THAT YOU CAN REALLY LOOK AT NEED THE SUN AND A BOAT?! BOATS DON'T GO ON ROADS TIM! THEY GO IN THE WATER.

TIM I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Broken jeans, it's a ghetto, a mosaic of molten steel

NO TIM STOP. YOU'RE NOT HELPING.

We arrived right on time
We arrived right on time
Right on time

ᴛɪᴍ ᴘʟᴇᴀsᴇ

ᴡʜʏ
Old 01-26-2019, 08:52 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Quote:
If you are a false don't entry
The nuclear drums will crush your brain
Because you'll be burned and died
Slaughtering all with intensive pain
I know some of the grammar is objectively wrong, but it doesn't stop the song from being kind of awesome.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:10 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

"Rock & Roll {N-word}" by Patti Smith is Le Problematique because uhhhhh a white lady is not the person to reclaim the N-word as standing for those who are "outside of society"
Old 02-12-2019, 03:00 PM
PROGRAMMED BY NASIR

Pronouns: ♂

Patti Smith is using the word symbolically; there are multiple ways to be "outside of society". She's using it in a way to empower the outsiders, whoever they may be. She's using a word condemned by "society" to exercise a degree of freedom to move past that society, i.e. "outside of society / that's where I want to be." Of course, this depends on a certain understanding of what she means by society. Jesus, Jimi Hendrix, Jackson Pollock- these figures influenced "society" by being outside of it. The song is a love letter to the perceived misfits and undesirables.

None of this addresses the immediate problem of the word itself, specifically when used by a white woman, but there's a nuance to its use in this specific song. A similar kind of thing can be heard in "Woman is the N***** of the World", by John Lennon. (It predates this song by six years or so.)
Old 02-12-2019, 03:01 PM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
"Rock & Roll {N-word}" by Patti Smith is Le Problematique because uhhhhh a white lady is not the person to reclaim the N-word as standing for those who are "outside of society"
She really John Lennon'd it up

Tags
lyrics , overthinking