The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-16-2019, 03:32 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Only watched the first episode so far, but the Amazon live action adaptation of The Tick is great; it plainly has a lot of affection for the franchise (and especially the cartoon) while putting its own spin on things.

Absolutely watching more of this!
Old 01-17-2019, 05:35 PM
This Guy

I watched both seasons of Future Man. It is like it has a elliptical orbit around being a good show. It occasionally gets close, then moves further away from actually being good. It is a science fiction comedy, but those two elements are kept separate. It spends a lot of time on stuff that is not comedy; often fairly effectively, only to undercut the drama with ill-considered jokes. When it does hit on a good joke, it doesn't follow through because it wants to sell the sci-fi. Futurama did something not dissimilar (purple haired captains are thing, I guess) to this and managed to be both funnier and more heartfelt. But the show is just good enough that I kept watching, hoping that it would be just a little better, but it never was.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:08 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Only watched the first episode so far, but the Amazon live action adaptation of The Tick is great; it plainly has a lot of affection for the franchise (and especially the cartoon) while putting its own spin on things.

I tried to tell you! You should have listened!
Old 01-19-2019, 01:31 AM
Mystery Contraption

I never doubted you, but I only recently got the means to watch it.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:46 PM
This Guy

I don't know that Happy! is a good show, but Chris Meloni just said "ax and you shall receive" before splitting a dudes head like a melon with an ax.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:23 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonetrope View Post
I'm finally watching Blackadder and wish I'd done so a lot earlier. I didn't think they would be able to top Brian Blessed's Richard IV from the first series, but Miranda Richardson's Elizabeth I is at least as amazing. I usually only see her in prestige-type stuff, I had no idea she was so funny.
Blackadder only gets better, to the point that the final scene of Blackadder Goes Forth is my favourite moment in TV. Even all these years later.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:45 PM
This Guy

I am coming down surprisingly strongly on the like side with Happy! A lot of that rests on Christopher Meloni and his amazing crazy eyes. The show wouldn't work at all if the character in the middle of it isn't believable, but I am with Meloni the whole way. He sells everything with this wide eyed surprise that is always amusing. Nick Sax is kind of a simple character, but also kind of not simple at all. He's a jaded ex-cop, you've the archetype a thousand times. But he is a force of nature, a guy who is really good at killing people. He's basically Riggs from Lethal Weapon who has gone even further and maybe fallen into a bathtub of cocaine. There is just enough good person in there that he is going to try to do the right thing, or at least not something completely awful.

The show is almost desperate to be shocking, and it works when it goes for funny shocks instead of gross ones. Underneath the insanity, it is a fairly conventional buddy cop story. Only one the of the buddy cops is a flying unicorn imaginary friend voiced by Patton Oswalt. There are times you can really feel Grant Morrison's hand in the show, which as a fan of his is a really good thing. It ties up pretty neatly at the end, but I went in knowing they are planning a second season. Which doesn't match up with the logical endpoint of this season. (It stars an imaginary friend, the end point is pretty obvious) How the it gets around that at the end is pretty great.

Its not the greatest show, and I can see it really turning people off. At times it really turned me off. But I could do with another season of Chris Meloni making crazy eyes and murder puns.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:58 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
Blackadder only gets better, to the point that the final scene of Blackadder Goes Forth is my favourite moment in TV. Even all these years later.
Oh man I forgot how good that was
Old 01-23-2019, 09:07 PM
This Guy

I've been finishing up some shows I started last year, and I am not sure I've ever seen a show shit the bed like the second half of Goliath Season 2. I've seen worse shows, but I've never seen a show take such a wild turn in quality like Goliath does in the middle of this last season.

The show is a courtroom drama, with Billy Bob Thornton playing an alcoholic lawyer. He gets involved in a case where a young kid is framed for murder by a group working for a Mexican cartel. Around episode 4, he gets someone to turn on the rest and gets the kid's case dismissed. And the court stuff, which is what the show for the first season and a half is about, is gone for the rest of the season. Instead, the drug thriller stuff takes over and it is s t u p i d. It is unfathomably dumb, grotesque and somehow a little smug about what it is doing. Character motivations disappear and people do things with no clear goals. I'm going to go ahead and spoiler this stuff just in case someone else is going to watch this. To celebrate, Thornton goes for a trip with his Mexican-transplant girlfriend who is running for Mayor. They go to Mexico, where Thornton finds out that her brother runs the cartel. His client is killed before being released from prison, with a forged confession note left in his cell. Despite Thornton's co-counsel call the jail to warn them of a threat on his life, everyone just takes the confession at face value: guess he did it after all. When Thornton finds out, he leaves the cartel complex in despair, without being troubled. At the start of the next episode he and a dippy Asian woman (maybe a prostitute???) have been kidnapped by New York mafia stereotypes who are working for the cartel(?), and they are waiting for the order to kill him. Thornton escapes by convincing the woman with him to give a dude a bj and then stab him with a knife he stole while he throws hot water or grease from the kitchen in another's face. They escape in an incredibly poorly thought out scene. The Asian woman is never seen or mentioned again. Back in America, the cartel kills everyone who knows their plan (said plan is never clearly explained), except Thornton and his group. He and his partner go back to the compound, but the cartel is gone. Because they were scared off by two lawyers from another country with no evidence of anything, I guess. The last thread is a billionaire real estate developer who was working with the cartel. He has an amputee fetish. He is captured by the cartel and they amputate his limbs in what I am forced to assume is supposed to be poetic justice. Every step the show takes is either stupid or gross in a new and terrible way.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:40 AM
hidden in snow

The Passage is a passable take on the YA trilogy. They take some liberties with the source to make it fit a standard Fox drama format, and the girl they got to play Amy isnít great, but itís still fun. The virals are the best part of the show so far, and they have barely been in the first two episodes. Iím looking forward to all the stuff going down, and seeing if the show lasts long enough to make it to the time shift.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:07 AM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

I'm really into Jane the Virgin, three seasons in. The crazy twists and telenovela trappings are a fun gateway, but it's fundamentally a really clever show about the writing (and creative) process.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:12 PM
Senhor Member

Canít stop watching Russian Doll.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:54 AM
i musnt run away

Quote:

So like my roommate watched the pilot a while back and I thought it came off as weirdly dark and gritty for a Tick adaptation? Do they steer it back towards silliness?
Old 02-02-2019, 04:25 AM
Mystery Contraption

Not as much, it walks the same thin line between Gritty and Goofy that Venture Brothers handles so well. Or, well, like the really early Frank Miller-inspired part of the original comic.

Really looking forward to a second season.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:49 PM
Senhor Member

Russian Doll is so great. Donít see how a second season works but weíll see how it goes.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:44 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Not as much, it walks the same thin line between Gritty and Goofy that Venture Brothers handles so well. Or, well, like the really early Frank Miller-inspired part of the original comic.

Really looking forward to a second season.
I think there's plenty of goofy to go around. They basically took a Netflix MCU show and plopped Tick into it, unchanged. I love it.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:36 PM
This Guy

Coming in with a real stale, yet piping hot take; the 1981 Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy TV series is the worst version of the story. The writing is good, of course, but it looks cheap and everyone seems to recede from the screen, with the possible exception of David Dixon as Ford. Jokes that work in the book or on the radio don't play necessarily play as well on TV without some adjustment, and too few of those adjustments seem to have been made.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:20 PM
Senhor Member

Iím sure the fact that I have the flu today is not helping but, um, The Magicians are real jerks! I donít understand why all these characters are desperate to get to magic school to do shitty, dangerous, useless magic with (the other) nasty characters who spend every episode hazing them. Just accept the mindwipes which people keep offering and go home.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:34 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

I wished I hadn't learned about The Expanse as a modern, "adult" version of Babylon 5. I watched the first episode and couldn't help compare it to one of my favourite shows ever, and it just loses out in every way. Please note that I understand that this is a completely unfair stand (especially with only one episode watched), I just can't help myself.

My main gripe is that it feels so grim, and nearly everything plays in these metalic corridors, where everyone and everything is colorless, and the whole tone feels very modern in its synicism. Again, first impression that might change over time, but I really hope that color starts to exist in this show. And I could do without dramatic camera angles and stuff like that, but I know that's just me. Most people aren't satisfied by just watching people talk for 90 % of the time.

I can already see the parallels - three factions, which is a nice setup for interesting politics and worldbuilding that could go interesting places. I just had hoped for something tonally similar to B5, which is, in the end, a pretty optimistic show about how we can become better and how important it is to embrace our similarities, instead of our differences. B5 is from the get-go an optimistic show, which I just don't see in the Expanse.

--------------------------

Sorry for the mainly pointless rant. The show looks intriguing and I will continue watching, trying to give it a fair chance and not to compare it to something it will never win against anyway.

Or I might just read the books. But point is, I'm curious.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:14 PM
so exciting!

Jane The Virgin Narrator: And little did they know, this new character we just introduced would change things... forever
The New Character: *is around for a three episode story arc and then fucks off forever*
Old 03-30-2019, 07:29 PM
This Guy

Hey, Santa Clarita Diet is back. This show demonstrates the importance of timing. Olyphant and Barrymore just deliver their lines perfectly in sync. Also, Natalie Morales is great.

Speaking of Natalie Morales, Abby's pilot was fine. There should be good show there.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:28 PM

Desus & Mero is real good, wish it wasn't trapped on Showtime so more people could watch.
Old 03-31-2019, 10:51 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Hey, Santa Clarita Diet is back. This show demonstrates the importance of timing. Olyphant and Barrymore just deliver their lines perfectly in sync. Also, Natalie Morales is great.
I like the way it promotes good wholesome family values, like how killing nazis is good and fracking is bad.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:41 PM
This Guy

Times have changed since 9/11, you can't just drive a corpse onto a runway and throw it into a jet engine.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:26 PM
Cobra and Phases Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Coming in with a real stale, yet piping hot take; the 1981 Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy TV series is the worst version of the story. The writing is good, of course, but it looks cheap and everyone seems to recede from the screen, with the possible exception of David Dixon as Ford. Jokes that work in the book or on the radio don't play necessarily play as well on TV without some adjustment, and too few of those adjustments seem to have been made.
Mmm. You just get the sense either the director or editor really didn't understand the material at all, most of the jokes hit the studio floor with an audible clang.

Also the animatronic Zaphod head should've gone straight in the bin on the first day of shooting, it was clearly a terrible idea to try and do it on such a low budget and it just looks ridiculous.

The real saving grace is the animated book sections which have obviously been created with so much love and attention to detail (and years before freeze frame jokes were a thing) that they save the production from being a disaster. Also, the part with the Golgafrinchams was better realised than everything else for some reason.

I still think the film is worse just because the changes to the script miss the point of the story to such an absurd degree.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:39 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheeel View Post
I still think the film is worse just because the changes to the script miss the point of the story to such an absurd degree.
I was introduced to HGttG through the movie, so I have a soft spot for it, unnecessary changes notwithstanding.* Maybe I just really like Mos Def, Sam Rockwell, and Martin Freeman as performers. A lot of it is that. Especially Rockwell. Going back and reading the book, though, made some of the flaws of the movie more apparent.

That movie/TV comparison highlights the differences in approach to adapting something from one medium to another and shows the faults in both approaches. The TV show changes as little as it can, even if what it is doing doesn't work at all in a visual medium. The movie changes too much. But I still think it is more entertaining on its own merits.

*Some of the changes I think were necessary to make it work as a movie. Plotting wasn't really one of Adams's strengths as a writer, so some of the stuff that focuses the story and gives it some structure works in a 2 hour version of the story. The love story stuff, though, is not good at all.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:55 PM
Senhor Member

The OA is incredible. The final 10 minutes of season one had me laughing because what was happening was absurd while also sobbing. Season, Iím sorry, ďpartĒ two is just great so far. Thank you to everyone who loved it and everyone who made fun of it, both were important in getting me to watch.

Simultaneously watching the new season of Santa Clarita Diet and wow I just want these people to go to prison and then hell as soon as possible, as I normally do with shows about serial killer protagonists that last for years.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:32 PM
This Guy

(Nearly) Everyone they've killed on SCD has deserved it. They are really thinning the local Nazi herd and it couldn't be more justified.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:47 PM
Senhor Member

Theyíre killing a lot more than Nazis this season and they, too, ďdeserve itĒ imo. Iíll see how it ends. I remember earlier seasons made me laugh but I havenít this season. (whereas The OA has inspired at least two large bouts of laughter, neither intentionally)
Old 04-02-2019, 08:27 PM
This Guy

I might not have laughed quite as much at this season as I did the previous ones, but Timothy Olyphant's timing and delivery is still perfect. It does sort of feel like it is reaching the point where it has fully explored the premise and it is time to wrap things up, though.

Tags
bingewatch purgatory , fear of new threads , sex house , television