The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 02-17-2019, 08:33 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno View Post
I enjoyed the first few episodes of The Dragon Prince season 2, but I will say that anybody who had problems with the art/animation in the first season won't find anything to change their mind here.
I like the characters, and I'm having fun - but the music drives me nuts. It feels like out of a generic Dragon Age rip-off. =/
Old 02-24-2019, 08:37 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

So, the Dragon Prince just introduced a bonafide lesbian couple as the queens of a country (yay!) but then fridged them in the very next chapter (booh!). I mean, I guess it is a dramatic way of setting up her daughter's arc, but thanks to these two episodes we can say that in the Dragon Prince world 100% of lesbians end up mauled by a dragon. Sheesh.

That said, I'm officially hooked - that flashback was meaty enough and so much stuff was let unsaid that I now need to know what really happened. If Viren didn't embellish his contributions I'll eat my hat. Heck, I'm almost willing to bet that he killed the queen himself to get away from Thunder, and all his actions since are born of resentment against the Dragon King and a misguided sense of guilt.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:08 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
The final season of A Series of Unfortunate Events was quite good!
I just finished this! The second season sagged a bit but it really picked up in the third. I love how writerly it is, and how much time Lemony spends opining over words and idioms he likes. I also think it's one of the more theologically impressive bits of children's entertainment I've ever come across. "It doesn't matter if we made the right choice, what matters is what happens" is a stunning line and has stuck in my craw since the first season came out. I thought I was projecting onto the series until the serpent and apple parallel happened in the last episode, which was great.

I felt from the beginning that NPH was miscast, as he's just a bit too affable to seem sinister enough (which is how he got away with playing a lovable sexual predator for nine years). He got better as the show went on, though, and I really enjoyed him in "The Penultimate Peril."
Old 03-14-2019, 02:12 PM
Still writing out 2018.

Do any of the following things interest you?
  • Beautifully shot nature footage
  • BBC Productions
  • Deadpan British humor
  • Narrators that have no business being narrators
  • The ability to spring a clever show onto unsuspecting victims

If so, then you need to be watching Round Planet.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:13 AM
kill

Survivor's Guide to Prison should be required viewing for every American. Very heavy and informative.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:07 AM
has to go somewhere

Pronouns: he/him/his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixo View Post
If so, then you need to be watching Round Planet.
I think “fake documentary” might be my favorite kind of comedy, so I deeply love Round Planet. I just wish there were more of it!
Old 03-17-2019, 09:51 PM
Fluffy Prince

I watched the first two episodes of Netflix's reboot of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego.

It feels like watching those old Esurance commercials (the one with Erin Esurance) but with a bigger budget...and a dose of Batman: The Animated Series-ism.

Dunno how to feel about it seems I wasn't really steeped in the lore of the games, other than having to figure out which country to go to next.

Edit: Finally watched the entire season. Overall, I really like it.

Last edited by sfried; 03-18-2019 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:10 PM
This Guy

Turn up Charlie is a weird show. It expects that by having everyone call Idris Elba a loser he will no longer be obviously Idris Elba. He is a down on his luck DJ who start to work for a rich childhood friend as a nanny. He still looks like Idris Elba.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:55 PM
Fluffy Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDohl View Post
Someone pointed out to me that the show puts Carmen as the main character, which is very antithetical to every Carmen Sandiego property up to this point. She's always been mysterious and afar. You're supposed to be left wondering.

That's why I don't think I'm all that interested in it. It kind of answers everything, and it's not nearly as compelling.
This is actually how I feel too; there's a mistique about her that I feel gets taken away. That said, I feel much like Joker, you can chalk this as just being one account from her side of the story.

And speaking of Joker, I really like how this scratches that itch that's been missing since Batman: The Animated Series. Even some of the fight scenes seem pulled straight out of that show (camera angles and some choreography), and the fantastic art direction (which sort of reminds me of Cucumber Quest author Gigi Digi's work). I just love how it animates, and that alone is what got me to finish the season.

Tags
and chill , best anti-piracy solution , binge , movies , netflix