The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 03-12-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
How's it really any different story-wise than old stuff like Vision of Escaflowne other than the character died to get to the other world?
I think someone mentioned a few months back in this thread that the main difference is that the person brought to a fantasy world is usually given something from their world (knowledge of technology, for instance) that grants them an edge. Which helps make the MC more of a power fantasy.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Duly noted. It’s the OAVs that are worth watching then? There’s no TV series?
Yeah, it was originally just an 8 episode OAV not based on anything (well, except Bladerunner Terminator and, of all things, Streets of Fire), primarily about 4 women who have really random day jobs (rock star, lingerie store owner, cop, and I dunno dance instructor maybe it never comes up) and then spend their nights running around in rad power armor fighting butler robots who go berserk and turn into Terminators that the cops can't really deal with.

Then later there was a 3 episode followup that I seem to recall was just way less fun.

Then a spinoff about the cops who can't deal with butler robots turning into terminators who don't have side gigs as rock stars OR motorcycles that turn into power armor for their power armor.

Then the remake that was a full length TV show which, again, is kinda the same thing just with a ton more padding and grimdarkness.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:41 AM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
Mostly inspired by Peklo's post about it a few pages ago, we've started on our (iirc) 3rd watch-through of Maria Watches Over Us. All set for 40-something episodes of meaningful looks and horrible misunderstandings!
me irl whenever Marimite gets more eyes on it:

Enjoy again, dear sister!
Old 03-13-2019, 10:41 AM
The metal babble flees!

Pronouns: she/her or they/them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
Enjoy again, dear sister!
Gokigen yo. Will do! and thanks for the gorgeous gif. <3
Old 03-14-2019, 12:58 AM
Still writing out 2018.

If you’ve been in the Discord channel at the right times over the past few weeks, then you may have seen me babbling in real time about watching Gurren Lagann for the first time. I think I need a minute to rattle it around my brain before making a proper effort post about it. But, initial thoughts boil down to:

- After some post final episode “help me get it” searches, I can understand Kamina’s purpose in the series, but I cannot bring myself to like him or his methodology.
- I was very put off by both the “grit your teeth” scenes.
- Talking mechs is simulateously dumb and hilarious at the same time.
- Great soundtrack and production despite whatever the hell happened with episode 4.
- I can’t get behind the overarching message of the show, and that’s probably going to skew my overall opinion of it, which is kind of a bummer all things considered.
- I called Rossiu Xenogears through my entire Discord live yelling and I refuse to apologize for it.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:33 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

It helps if you assume that when someone says “manliness” they just mean “confidence”, and Kamina is just really bad with his words.

It does not solve the problems, but it helps.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixo View Post
- I can’t get behind the overarching message of the show, and that’s probably going to skew my overall opinion of it, which is kind of a bummer all things considered.
Curious what you thought the overarching message was, because different people often have different takeaways from the same piece of media. For my money, my main takeaway from the show was [spoiler]despite how it can be sometimes scary, progress is good[/quote] which is something I can very much get behind.

Quote:
I called Rossiu Xenogears through my entire Discord live yelling and I refuse to apologize for it.
I will allow and endorse this only if you consistently call Samus, Metroid; Link, Zelda; Ichigo, Bleach; etc, etc.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:35 AM
Mystery Contraption

My takeaway was that progress is bad, because otherwise you might evolve so far that your DNA becomes giant and collapses into black holes!

It’s a very real danger!

Also, with sufficient levels of determination, sunglasses will spontaneously become ridiculous.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:31 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

New Ikuhara show has its first non-teaser trailer:

Old 03-14-2019, 08:36 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Pronouns: He/him

Is that... DuckTales?
Old 03-14-2019, 11:34 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

This Carole and Tuesday making of is interesting (no subtitles). I hope the end product turns out well. Between this and Sarazanmai this is the first time in a while I've been excited in advance by two (2) anime shows in one season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Is that... DuckTales?
It's Ducktales but Huey, Duey, and Luey are zombified magical boy kappas who steal souls out of people's butts. (CTRL-F shirikodama)

Last edited by estragon; 03-14-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:49 PM
Still writing out 2018.

Default And now, Ixo talks at length about Gurren under the spoiler tag

Things to know before diving in:
  • I watched the dub. (Thanks Netflix.)
  • Show was watched in three sittings over the span of four weeks.
  • The friend who came over to watch it really really likes the show, so that's why I stuck with it.
  • Since this show seems to hit some chords with people... Anything that comes up beneath the spoiler tag is just my opinion. I don't ever mean to dismiss or take away something meaningful that it gave you, but missed me entirely.

Cool? Cool. Let's go.

The biggest detractors are the overall message I took from it, and Kamina as a whole. Both of these honestly come back to the same sort of point though. I did some poking around the internet to see the overall attitudes about both, and I'm kind of an outlier. I understand the main message of Gurren to boil down to "Don't back down, never compromise, and charge ahead no matter the cost." It then presents this message with the follow up of "Because that's how MEN do things and it's AWESOME." I'm calling out both of the "Let's see you grit those teeth" scenes, since they perfectly encompass everything I actively disliked about the show. (I hope I don't have to get into why I think sucker punching a suicidal friend is the worst.) Having moments of self doubt aren't a sign of weakness; that's just human nature. Taking the time to process why you feel the way you do and then acting accordingly isn't a bad thing. Hell, figuring out how to process what you feel is a herculean task. Especially when you're a shonen hero... Gurren instead offers the terrible alternative of shove your feelings down and ignore them in favor of dumb machismo. As someone who personally struggles with being open about my own emotions, this really sucked to see. I understand that it's supposed to come off as an encouraging "Be brave in the face of things that scare you." but it reads as "Man up, you wuss."

That's also the crux of why I find Kamina so unlikable. He's so brash and unwilling to listen to anything that doesn't support his larger than life outward persona. It's sad and frustrating. If the writers had opted to let him open up more outside of his one conversation with Yoko, I might not have bounced so hard off him. Yes, I get that he's in the show to spur on the growth of Simon, but it just feels like there was so much wasted in his character. It's much more inspiring to see an upfront and honest leader who says "I understand what you're feeling, and it's okay. Honestly, I'm still terrified too, but I don't let that stop me." instead of one who constantly yells about toughness and won't stop for two damn seconds to process things. Making a point of showing Simon that Kamina goes through the same struggles that he does, but makes considerable efforts to push himself past them would have been an excellent message that promoted some real character growth for both of them, showing the audience that real strength comes from being honest about what you feel and working together to grow from that. Gurren instead tosses that idea out in favor of never letting Kamina grow as a person choosing to instead bury all of that behind fake bravado. I was not sad to see him go, and was frustrated to see him come back in the last episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me, over in Discord
Kamina just comes off as the same category as obnoxious “influencers” constantly posting inspirational bullshit and snapchats of himself giving real dumb pep talks.
All machismo flash, no growth, no substance.
Telling your audience to just tough your way through emotions is a very off putting thing to do, doubly so doing it under the guise of this being an admirable masculine trait worthy of being put on a pedestal.

The episodes immediately after Kamina's death really showcase this, and sort of prove that nearly everybody on the crew completely miss the value and strength of building each other up, in favor of letting Simon deal with his grief alone. Rossiu is the sole stand out here, understanding that he needs to reach out to Simon despite not really knowing how. (Yoko kind of gets it too, but she's too preoccupied with her own grieving.) The rest of the crew is content to just go "Whelp, Simon can't fight now, so he sucks." It's only after proving himself in battle again that they come back around. For a show that's all about pushing yourself and pushing others to be better, it sure misses that mark more often than not.

Speaking of Rossiu, I found him to be one of the most enjoyable characters in the show. Yes, I see the horrific irony in slowly turning into the same type of man as his Priest, but it was engaging to see how the most well intentioned of plans can go south so quickly. He struggled weighing his options and did what he considered the right thing in the face of all sorts of terrifying circumstances even if it went against what he would have personally wanted, and that's admirable. It was heartbreaking to see that his decisions ultimately wouldn't have been the solution humanity needed, but that's how it goes sometimes. You can have all the conviction and planning in the world, and things can still fall apart. Rossiu is probably the character I'd point to if asked who went through the most growth through the show. I had really hoped that he would get to have a moment in the finale when the Earth popped back in, but alas no.

My interpretation of Spiral vs Anti-Spiral conflict came down to Individuality vs Conformity. The shot of the planet full of identical blank people and Simon's hallucinated Kamina bowing to the authorities led me to that conclusion. Which is....fine? I guess? My issue is the whole showdown with Anti-Spiral was just chock full of "Look at all those before you who have tried and failed" dialogue which accidentally sent more of a "Believing in yourself and resisting what others want is the way to go! ...but you're only going to succeed if you're super extraordinary." and that was kind of jarring and fairly discouraging.

I don't really have many other thoughts about the ending, oddly enough. It made sense to me that Simon was like "Nah, bureaucracy's not my thing." and peaced out since it was pretty clear that he was miserable in his Supreme Commander position. I'm also going to put "Just use your time and space breaking powers to bring everyone back!!!" in the same category as Harry Potter fans talking about Hermione's Time Turner. It's a big can of worms and causes more and more frustration the longer you think about it.

Other stray odds and ends:
  • Leron takes refuge in his over the top campiness. If the show didn't portray him as using it just to pick at the other guys, it would come off as far worse than it does.
  • Boy, it's a good thing that Gurren's drill wasn't any longer or else Kamina would've been dead from terminal drill-to-the-skull.
  • The visual of a giant boat tromping through the desert was pretty funny.
  • Prior Gainax leading ladies cameoing as the bathhouse girls was....interesting.
  • It's the last showdown, universe shaking fight to end all fights. Why in the hell did you choose to put Viral who cannot produce spiral energy and laments his inability to do so, into the cockpit of a Spiral Powered machine? You're all idiots.
  • Also in the last episodes: The conga line of supporting character deaths while Simon was charged up his missile was just flat bad. There's no emotional impact in it if it's one after another and the whole sequence felt cheap.
  • The moon looks like Yoko Taro.

Overall, the show was okay but it's far from the best thing I've ever seen. Don't think I plan on checking out the movies or revisiting it anytime soon. Regardless, I'm pleased that the show did get me to think about it as much as it did, and I'm happy to discuss any of the above if you guys want to get deeper into it.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
New Ikuhara show has its first non-teaser trailer:
Everything there looks great. But I still instinctively recoil from shows that portray crowds in the way this show does with greyed out people or cookie cutter stand-ins. It just always rubs me the wrong way and is a hard mental barrier for me to get over for whatever reason.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:34 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Ikuhara definitely takes after a lot of 60s and 70s Japanese underground cinema directors who employed a lot of intentionally alienating stylistic techniques (especially Terayama Shuji — it's not a coincidence that the composer for Utena was the composer for so many of Terayama's major works). Ikuhara's work is for sure not for everyone and it's extremely reasonable to bounce off of it for any number of reasons.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:33 PM

I am in no way making any judgments on Ikuhara or the rest of his directorial styles. I think empty, abstracted backgrounds and/or dehumanizing stand-ins for crowds can be used for narrative purposes in good ways on occasion. (Everyone having X's on their faces in Silent Voice is a standout example.) And given this guy's previous output I'm sure that there's probably more to this than meets the eye.

But I'm just very wary of this trope in anime because often it feels like a lazy cop-out to avoid having to expend the resources to draw in crowds. And the results are often that it makes these worlds seem empty and their settings boring like they aren't really important to the story being told. A good show allows its setting to be a character in itself and when that's too abstracted it feels like the setting doesn't matter and that these characters might as well just be floating around in white space like the last two episodes of Evangelion. (The #2 reason why I hate the Bakemonogatari Series is because of this.)

Anyways, I'm actually looking forward to that show a lot now after that preview, I just have that personal hangup.

There's been a lot of anime announcements and new PVs in the past few days. A few highlights that haven't already been discussed here:

An actual trailer for the next Masaaki Yuasa film: (looks fantastic as expected, but I feel like this trailer gives away a bit too much of the plot)

Takeshi Koike is making a third Lupin III film, this one centered around Fujiko titled Mine Fujiko's Lies:

The previous two have been gorgeous experiments but not exactly the best of Lupin, and also varrying levels of problematic as they sought out a grindhouse feel to them. I'm both excited and terrified of this one, because I love me some Lupin but a LOT can go wrong here.

The studio that made Land of the Lustrous is now making an adaptation of Beastars which I don't know much personally about but comes very recommended from some places I trust and has won a lot of awards. Curious how this one will turn out:

Netflix is also betting down deeper into anime, announcing a bunch of production partnerships with anime studios to commission more shows for them. I hate what Netflix is doing with anime with a passion, but I'm sure there are more than a few people who will be interested in what they're doing there. This includes:
  • An anime based on Altered Carbon by a no-name outfit that has previously only done outsourced CGI for other shows.
  • An anime based on Dragon's Dogma that nobody asked for by another no-name outfit that has previously only done outsourced CGI for other shows.
  • An anime adaptation of SPRIGGAN by the studio that makes JoJo.
  • An all 3DCG sequel to Ghost in the Shell: SAC with a production that sounds iffy (partnership between Production IG and some no-name CGI-house with dual directors handling the project; they claim to have SAC's original director onboard; are comparing the project to their upcoming CGI adaptation of Ultraman.)
  • An original anime by the Attack on Titan studio about humans and vampires becoming friends through music. (Probably the only thing that sounds interesting on this list to me personally.)
  • An adaptation of Super Crooks by Mark Millar (*gag*) by Studio BONES
Old 03-14-2019, 11:32 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
And given this guy's previous output I'm sure that there's probably more to this than meets the eye.
He has used the exact same style in previous work, so it's definitely an explicit choice/directorial trademark in this case.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:48 AM
Boom

Quote:
  • An anime based on Dragon's Dogma that nobody asked for by another no-name outfit that has previously only done outsourced CGI for other shows.
Interesting choice. Dragon's Dogma has a story that's mostly just kind of plain until the "post-game" turns everything on its head.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:39 AM
Mystery Contraption

Funny, just the other day I was saying how the world collectively started ignoring Mark Millar and how we were all the better for it.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Funny, just the other day I was saying how the world collectively started ignoring Mark Millar and how we were all the better for it.
Preach. I am wounded that my favorite anime studio of all time is dedicating its limited money, talent, and resources towards reviving a Mark Millar property instead of doing literally anything else. If only for this reason alone, Netflix is the scourge of the earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
Interesting choice. Dragon's Dogma has a story that's mostly just kind of plain until the "post-game" turns everything on its head.
I friggin' adore DD. I was in on the game at launch and it was my favorite thing I played that year. I looked around first confused, then amused, as it slowly gained acceptance and acknowledgment over the course of years. I would consider doing very bad things just to get a sequel greenlit. But uh... the story is the last reason why anyone plays these games. And the last thing this almost-franchise, or anyone needs, is for a milk-toast, half-hearted, shitty 3DCG anime made by nobodies that will end up looking worse than the 5 7 (!!) year old game itself. Especially when there is almost nothing in the game worth pulling a TV show from to begin with. And the big post-game mindscrew only really matters and makes sense within the context of the game's unique combat/party system - which means fuck-all during a non-interactive TV show. It's just a baffling, mind-boggling use of resources. I have never been more convinced that Netflix has zero idea what it is ever doing ever.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:15 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
An all 3DCG sequel to Ghost in the Shell: SAC with a production that sounds iffy (partnership between Production IG and some no-name CGI-house with dual directors handling the project; they claim to have SAC's original director onboard; are comparing the project to their upcoming CGI adaptation of Ultraman.)
!!!!
I will always be there for more Ghost in the Shell
Old 03-15-2019, 08:20 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
He has used the exact same style in previous work, so it's definitely an explicit choice/directorial trademark in this case.
It gets used pretty heavily in Utena, doesn't it? And it's impossible to say that Utena's setting isn't an important part of the work, with a strong and distinct identity.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:00 AM
Oh No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
Maybe something more interesting happens in the Japan-only MMO and it's based on that?
Old 03-15-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
!!!!
I will always be there for more Ghost in the Shell
I'm kinda over it? The last decade plus has been a story of mediocre to bad attempts to milk my nostalgia for this thing that's pretty firmly in the rear-view mirror now. And I've been thoroughly disappointed by every other attempt to adapt Shirow-works during that time as well (I get queasy thinking about those 3DCG Appleseed shows/films). And every further adaptation strays farther and farther from the comics into boring edge-lord material. The GitS comic is 30 years old now. It had a good run, but I'm going to need a lot of proof that they've turned around a 15 year downward trend before I get my hopes up. Even knowing some of the SAC staff are coming back isn't much of a comfort when 2nd GIG and Solid State Society pretty firmly demonstrated to me that they were already out of good ideas and spent their wad in 2004-2006. I'd love for this to be good, but there are just way too many red flags already and I'm done being played for a fool by these people.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:49 PM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Quote:
Overall, the show was okay but it's far from the best thing I've ever seen. Don't think I plan on checking out the movies or revisiting it anytime soon. Regardless, I'm pleased that the show did get me to think about it as much as it did, and I'm happy to discuss any of the above if you guys want to get deeper into it.
I came away with a very different theme. For me the symbol of spiral energy is all about how exponential growth, sexual reproduction, and evolution combine to create a force that transforms the nearly impossible into the inevitable. In essence if every life has a probability of creating a desired change, and you can roll that dice billions of times, then it's going to happen eventually. An individual's personal responsibility is only to try. The method isn't non-conformity in the reactionary sense, but authenticity to your body, mind, and desires.

You have a very character-oriented relationship with the story and I think I don't. The characters are a mess. They're just sort of vessels to deliver their side of a wild dialectic.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:23 PM

I have been watching Kemono Friends 2 this season for the morbid curiosity value of seeing what it would be like. And I am actually amazed at how bad it is. Like it's so much worse than I could have imagined. It's a full on train wreck of epic proportions. This last week's episode in particular was downright offensive. Like, this should require full-blown dogeza from Kadokawa big wigs when it's all done, except there's no way those suits give two shits.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:08 AM
Mystery Contraption

I know that Giant Robo: The Day aThe Earth Stood Still was announced for a bluray re-release a few months ago, but since the only listings for it on Amazon are for older releases, and priced in the multi-hundred dollar range, I’m guessing it hasn’t come out yet.

Has there been any other news about it? Google isn’t any better at research than I am regarding it.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:45 PM
Cool Guy

Quote:
I have been watching Kemono Friends 2 this season for the morbid curiosity value of seeing what it would be like. And I am actually amazed at how bad it is. Like it's so much worse than I could have imagined. It's a full on train wreck of epic proportions. This last week's episode in particular was downright offensive. Like, this should require full-blown dogeza from Kadokawa big wigs when it's all done, except there's no way those suits give two shits.
At least Grape The Penguin isn’t alive to see this.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:22 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
I know that Giant Robo: The Day aThe Earth Stood Still was announced for a bluray re-release a few months ago, but since the only listings for it on Amazon are for older releases, and priced in the multi-hundred dollar range, I’m guessing it hasn’t come out yet.

Has there been any other news about it? Google isn’t any better at research than I am regarding it.
I don't see anything since the announcement last August, but Discotek has never failed to deliver. Patience.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:56 PM

Presented without commentary:

For contrast, here's what the PV2 of the most recent season of Mob Psycho 100 looked like:

Old 03-19-2019, 04:17 PM
What Time Is It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
I don't see anything since the announcement last August, but Discotek has never failed to deliver. Patience.
Haha, I google this every two weeks or so!

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road