The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-30-2018, 04:37 PM
Senhor Member

Iím liking it. Only one episode to go. No idea why Netflix is releasing half a season each of this and Kimmy Schmidt at the same time. (Iíll watch that next) Loving Maebyís scheme this season. TBF Iím primed to appreciate grifters right now.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:44 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Four episodes in, I think this season is pretty funny!
This is precisely where I'm at, both in terms of progression and impressions! Looking forward to watching the remaining four this weekend.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:46 PM

Pronouns: he

I'm not really enjoying it as much as I wish I were. Does it pick up after the second episode?
Old 05-31-2018, 08:50 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I'm not really enjoying it as much as I wish I were. Does it pick up after the second episode?
The first few episodes are relatively heavy on season 4 recap, but otherwise I think it's pretty consistent across all the episodes.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:55 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
The first few episodes are relatively heavy on season 4 recap
As someone whose memory is a trash fire, I very much appreciated this!
Old 06-01-2018, 12:26 PM

I felt like the first two episode of this season were still part of season 4.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:42 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Blacksmith View Post
I felt like the first two episode of this season were still part of season 4.
I can appreciate that because it really felt like Season 4 ended roughly/suddenly. Or at least the recut did. I never watched the original cut.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:35 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Going right from season 3 to season 4 is kind of jarring, if only because of how everyone is visibly much older.

Which at least got a joke out of it in George Micheals case.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:29 PM
so exciting!

it feels like every tobias scene goes on just a liiiiittle bit too long, as if they thought "if we keep this scene going david cross will do something funny" but he never does y'all, he never does.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:15 PM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Yeah, I hadn't really thought about it until you point it out, but I thought Tobias was one of the funniest parts of season 4, but don't recall him getting many laughs from me this season.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:23 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Yeah, I hadn't really thought about it until you point it out, but I thought Tobias was one of the funniest parts of season 4, but don't recall him getting many laughs from me this season.
the hurt people hurt people bit with lucille was funny, but the rest was like, eh. it didn't help that they had him constantly reminding the viewer that he didn't really have a reason to be on the show anymore
Old 06-04-2018, 06:47 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

Season 5 is a direct continuation of Season 4. If you don't like one you probably won't like the other.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:31 AM
so exciting!

why does george michael have lucille austero's car again?
Old 06-04-2018, 11:40 AM
This Guy

I think Maebe loaned it to him when she was running Fakeblock.

I liked the Tobias stuff where he was trying to be a stand in for whatever family member currently wasn't there.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:49 AM

First two episodes of this season did less than nothing for me, doubt Iíll continue.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:03 PM
Mystery Contraption

Only about halfway through it, but season 5 is a huge improvement over season 4, while still managing to fall well short of the original run.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:57 PM
so exciting!

the second half of season 5 premieres march 15th, if indeed anyone still cares about arrested development in 2019
Old 02-19-2019, 06:06 PM
This Guy

I am. I liked the first half of season 5, but it frustratingly incomplete. I understand doing half seasons (*Ron Howard voice* he really didn't), but why wait nearly a year between releases.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:56 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I am. I liked the first half of season 5, but it frustratingly incomplete. I understand doing half seasons (*Ron Howard voice* he really didn't), but why wait nearly a year between releases.
half seasons help inflate netflix's "we have x number of titles coming this month" number
Old 02-20-2019, 05:52 AM
Born in the USA

They might have wanted a few more people to forget about Jeffrey Tambor abusing Jessica Walter and the other male cast members defending him
Old 02-20-2019, 07:51 AM
That bug is NUTS!

I just recently finished what was up of Season 5, after having no interest in it at first, but I do think it is a lot better than Season 4.

It still suffers somewhat from Netflix's inability to gather the cast of any of their shows together for more than the bare minimum required, but not quite as bad as Season 4. You can practically see the show bending over backward to try to explain why this or that person that really should be in a scene isn't there. Unless I can see the faces of all of the cast present in the same shot with some obvious clues they're actually in the same location, I just assume they're not. Lindsey with the bag over her head was particularly egregious, as they let the plot be dictated by the absence of cast. There are other times, even in the same scene that you can tell they've flopped principal cast for a body double shot from behind.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:14 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
They might have wanted a few more people to forget about Jeffrey Tambor abusing Jessica Walter and the other male cast members defending him
you'd think so, but they did a similar thing with K*mmy Sch*mdt and Grace and Frankie (although at least they have the decency to call Grace and Frankie separate seasons instead of being like season 5 part 2)
Old 02-20-2019, 10:17 AM
Born in the USA

I don't know about Kimmy Schmidt, but I recall Netflix saying the second half of AD would be released later in 2018 and it ended up being pushed all the way back to March.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:20 AM
Mystery Contraption

All I remember about season 5 was that I liked it more than 4, but still far less than the original run, and also that watching it after learning that Jeffrey Tambor sucks so hard he pulls the moon from the sky made me uneasy watching it.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:12 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

On the one hand, Jessica Walter is also in the show and she is delight.

On the other hand, Jessica Walter specifically had issues with her treatment by Jeffery Tambor, so even watching her now I can't help but think about how the show should be treating her better.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:56 PM
so exciting!

the final eight episodes are out, they generally follow the same trajectory of the first eight, where the jokes are just a bit too long and over-explained and they'll show like a full minute and a half flashback scene that was just in the previous episode, but it at least it seems to be a definitive ending for the series
Old 03-17-2019, 04:34 PM
Born in the USA

There must have been a big rewrite at some point. I have never seen so much ADR in one show before.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:55 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
the final eight episodes are out, they generally follow the same trajectory of the first eight, where the jokes are just a bit too long and over-explained
I fully agree with this.

One of the best things about the original run of the show was the timing. Season 4 was its own mess, but Season 5 has terrible timing. Its just kind of bloated and saggy. There are still great moments hidden in there, but they don't land with the impact they should. It also messes with the shows self-referential nature. On this original run it turned into this giant joke ouroboros; they'd seed in little punch lines in previous episodes, and then finally give you the set up later. Here, it just feels like they hold so the viewer can remember the funny joke they made 10 years ago.

Tambor excluded, I still really like the cast of this show and it feels like all of their time would be better spent on other endeavors. I know di Rossi has retired from acting, but I want to see the rest in other things at this point. They kind of hurts to say, since this was kind of a formative show for me. I just happened to catch "Shock and Awe" when it first aired and it was everything I didn't know I wanted in a TV show. For a solid decade I would have called it my favorite TV show. It really feels like its time has passed, though.

I do have some thoughts on the ending. I really hated the last minute reveal that Buster actually did murder Lucille 2. It doesn't really track with what I remember happening at the end of season 4 and it adds some malice to a character that previously had not had any. I wish there had been some explanation for Lindsay's disappearance. Lastly, I really wish there had been a final Michael & George Michael scene at the end. Their relationship was the heart of the show and that should have been the last thing we saw. Basically, I want the end of season 3.

Tags
afternoon delight , analrapist , annhog , calorie mate reads this , egg , her? , i just blue myself , i'm a... theralist , mr. f , rise from your grave! , some light treason