The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 02-14-2019, 04:00 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Considering how I never saw the original and yet I picked up on the entirety of its plot and character beats through cultural osmosis, this is going to make a hojillion dollars, isn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
I fully respect and support Elsa's training montage to find and kill the storm that murdered her parents.

{Ukyo vs The Sea image}
I pretty much had exactly both these reactions simultaneously, yes.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:14 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Just as I start a new replay of Doom this appears.

Here's hoping that it ends with another inexplicable Dragonball Z fight!
Old 03-11-2019, 01:58 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Just as I start a new replay of Doom this appears.

Here's hoping that it ends with another inexplicable first-person perspective third act!
Old 03-11-2019, 02:45 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Uwe Boll isn't making this one I hope, so it may turn out alright (especially if they borrow from Doom '18).
Old 03-11-2019, 07:43 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

This tweet about that movie is inauspicious.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:35 AM
Eelection 2019 Info

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Really the correct answer for how to do a Doom movie artfully is "John Wick, but Guillermo Del Toro gets to make all the monster designs"
Old 03-12-2019, 11:03 AM
Outraged!

I just saw a trailer for the live-action Aladdin and Will Smith’s genie is just a regular dude instead of a horrible blue monster for almost all of it. Cowards.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:43 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Really the correct answer for how to do a Doom movie artfully is "John Wick, but Guillermo Del Toro gets to make all the monster designs"
Or "Event Horizon, but with Imps"
Old 03-13-2019, 04:12 PM
Cobra and Phases Group

This Sonic The Hedgehog movie actually looks really good, you guys

Old 03-19-2019, 09:27 AM
PROGRAMMED BY NASIR

Pronouns: ♂

Old 03-19-2019, 08:33 PM
I'm kind of over memes.

To quote myself on Twitter: Toy Story 3 also had a strange and confusing trailer in which Mr Potato Head was briefly a cucumber and had a poop joke made at his expense. That said, I look forward to some very familiar people attempting to "boycott" this movie because Bo Peep has pants now.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:52 PM

I actually can’t even remember the last time a Disney animated film got a fourth feature film installment. Maybe never?

I know why this movie is being made, and tbh Pixar needs success stories real bad right now. But uh, this was probably the least interesting thing they could have done.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:09 PM
This Guy

How does Pixar need success stories real bad right now? I guess in the last few years they have endured critical and financial failures like The Incredibles 2, Coco, Finding Dory and Inside Out.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
How does Pixar need success stories real bad right now? I guess in the last few years they have endured critical and financial failures like The Incredibles 2, Coco, Finding Dory and Inside Out.
The only angle I *could* think of is that Pixar "needs to prove" (and I'm putting that in quotes as hard as I can) they can release a hit without the oversight of John Lasseter. But he was already on a forced 'sabbatical' during the last few releases, so who knows how much, if any involvement he had in their recent critical and financial successes.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:56 PM

Same time frame: The Good Dinosaur, Cars 3 - both of which probably lost them money. Coco also, while a critical darling, probably didn't make nearly the amount of money they would have liked.

My understanding (and it maybe completely off, who knows!) as a friend of mine tells it - who was recently laid off at Pixar due to tough department downsizing - the business of making these films entirely in-house has also gotten a LOT more expensive over the past decade or so. And when your competition is making just as much, if not way more money than you and farming out production duties overseas bringing their price tags way down, it puts a LOT of pressure on Pixar as a studio.

Then there's the entire merchandise angle which is Disney's real bread and butter. So while classic movies like Up and Ratatouille that we all adore and think of fondly seem like successes in our eyes, Disney very much did not appreciate them since they were hard to make/market/sell merchandising for and were maybe not raking in money via its other revenue streams outside of the box office to merit the kinds of money it pumped into advertisement and merch for them.

It's just an increasingly tough industry, and its seeing the same problems that the rest of Hollywood, or that AAA gaming has with where it needs mega blockbusters to break even on these huge financial investments or else they're seen internally as failures. From my understanding - Pixar's business model for the past few decades has backed itself into that same corner.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:42 AM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Same time frame: The Good Dinosaur, Cars 3 - both of which probably lost them money.

[...]

Then there's the entire merchandise angle which is Disney's real bread and butter.
I don't know what world you're living in, but the Cars franchise is both extremely profitable, and extremely merchandise-friendly.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:20 PM
Eelection 2019 Info

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairu View Post
The only angle I *could* think of is that Pixar "needs to prove" (and I'm putting that in quotes as hard as I can) they can release a hit without the oversight of John Lasseter. But he was already on a forced 'sabbatical' during the last few releases, so who knows how much, if any involvement he had in their recent critical and financial successes.
It's telling that Cars 3 is literally about the experience of women working in Pixar
Old 03-21-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
I don't know what world you're living in, but the Cars franchise is both extremely profitable, and extremely merchandise-friendly.
The merch is definitely why Disney keeps pushing Pixar to make more Cars, but Cars 3 was the worst performing Pixar movie at the box office next to The Good Dinosaur, so that probably offset things significantly. From what I heard too, the production definitely sounded troubled/neglected as well. The director at the premier went on about how proud he was for the staff that cranked this movie out despite being given an abnormally short production schedule. Just sayin, the business side of these studios is really complicated and expensive, and Pixar - like the rest of the tech industry - is dealing with the growing pains as costs keep going up. I really don’t think it’s a coincidence that after Coco and Cars 3, their production schedule got disrupted and we’re seeing Incredibles 2 and Toy Story 4 back-to-back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
It's telling that Cars 3 is literally about the experience of women working in Pixar
Lassiter wasn’t yet ousted for Cars 3; he was still present MCing the premier and hugging everyone. My understanding is that he’d been relatively hands off with Pixar over the last few years anyways since a lot of his attention was put in his duties getting Disney’s other animation outfits up to speed.

Last edited by WisteriaHysteria; 03-21-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:29 AM
till the sheriff stops by

I still haven't even seen John Wick Chapter 2 yet and I'm still pumped for this.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:34 AM
Mystery Contraption

Obviously all that because of a puppy!
Old 03-21-2019, 11:18 AM
This Guy

You should definitely see John Wick Chapter 2.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:15 PM
Cobra and Phases Group

I can't help just being more than a little jaded by the whole Pixar aesthetic at this point, it all feels a bit hollow to me in the light of recent revelations. For a long time I felt there was clearly some major discrepancy between the public image of Pixar and the actual reality of the working culture inside the studio - the fact so many directors ended up "moving on" from projects they had originated was decidedly suspect - and I feel like that has since been borne out.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/artist-r...re-161540.html

We were sold this vision of this vibrant, inclusive studio that enshrines creativity, but the reality appears to be a place where staff are underpaid(and can't go and take better jobs elsewhere in the industry, thanks to Ed Catmull), women are mistreated and passed over for projects, and shitty behaviour from men carries on without consequences.

So forgive me if I don't relish the prospect of another Toy Story like I might've done at one time. The film will probably be fine, I guess.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:22 PM
King Of Space-Time

D-D-D-Dora!

Old 03-24-2019, 01:50 AM

That looks like a lot of fun, but there is also not nearly enough Spanish being spoken in that trailer
Old 03-24-2019, 08:24 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
That looks like a lot of fun, but there is also not nearly enough Spanish being spoken in that trailer
They can speak whatever language they want, I'm far, far more disturbed at how hard they Lara Crofted a little girl. Is Michael Bay involved in this?
Old 03-24-2019, 08:44 PM
Half-Ninja

Dora Croft aside, has anyone made a parody of the knife Kid with Dora?
Old 03-24-2019, 09:29 PM

Dora is what, like 6 years old? I don't feel great with child actors that young to begin with, and it seems pretty reasonable to age the character up so you're not irresponsibly telling a story about a six year old wandering the jungle by herself.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:07 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Dora is what, like 6 years old? I don't feel great with child actors that young to begin with, and it seems pretty reasonable to age the character up so you're not irresponsibly telling a story about a six year old wandering the jungle by herself.
She has a monkey.

And an annoying anthromorphic map.

Last edited by jpfriction; 03-25-2019 at 07:08 AM. Reason: I’m the map, i’m The map. I’m the map i’m The map i’m The map i’m The map
Old 03-25-2019, 05:23 PM
Banjo Kathoey

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
They can speak whatever language they want, I'm far, far more disturbed at how hard they Lara Crofted a little girl. Is Michael Bay involved in this?
People thought he was, but I'm just now learning he wasn't.
Quote:
On October 24, 2017, a deal was struck for a live action version of the popular television series to be made, with James Bobin directing. Nicholas Stoller and Danielle Sanchez-Witzel were hired to pen a script, with Michael Bay's Platinum Dunes producing, though Bay himself would not be involved with the production.[3] However in August 2018, Bay revealed he and his Platinum Dunes partners were never involved in the film, and that the report which was first known back in October 2017 was false.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:08 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Jim Jarmusch made a zombie movie

Adam Driver's delivery of "Ghouls" is A++ work

Tags
movies , whhhhhomp