The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 02-20-2019, 08:27 PM
You must whip it

Default Follow The Monocle: An Umbrella Academy thread

I'm two episodes in and already sold on this show. It's like "what if boarding school heroes grew up and got mostly fed up with the bullshit?" with smatterings of mystery show and Bethesda era Fallout.

Also the first episode used both Tiffany and They Might Be Giants to such great effect that the licensed song chooser deserves some kind of award of their own.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:22 PM
This Guy

That sequence set to "I Think We're Alone Now" in the first episode is perfect. I mean, its really on the nose, but works and is just incredibly charming.

I haven't gotten past the first episode due to school stuff, but I intend to do so over the next week or so. I am also trying to remember what of the comics I have actually read. I think I might have just skimmed a collection.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:36 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Was there more to the comic than just that one arc? I never sought out any more because I didnít think there was any more.

Anyway, yes, this show is great, and boy oh boy, is the soundtrack a big part of that.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:42 AM
Outraged!

I do wish every new show I tried these days didn't have a scene where someone gets stabbed in the eye but I otherwise really enjoyed the first episode. Something new to watch on the elliptical.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:57 AM
so exciting!

Finally a live action Generation X that doesn't disappoint
Old 02-21-2019, 10:00 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Im a little disappointed that Luther taking his shirt off isnít nearly as... visually distinctive as it was in the comic. But I guess that would have been a tall order.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:17 AM
THAT'S TOMMORROW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Was there more to the comic than just that one arc? I never sought out any more because I didnít think there was any more.

Anyway, yes, this show is great, and boy oh boy, is the soundtrack a big part of that.
Yes! The second arc was DALLAS and the Netflix special is incorporating a lot of its bits for Number 5 stuff and Hazel and ChaCha werent in the first arc at all.

The Third arc came ten years later and is almost completed. What an umbrellabundance of Umbrella Academy related things!
...Two I guess!
I like to describe it as Watchman spliced with Royal Tenenbaums.

Also its weird that they are specifying its taking place in 2019 because nothing about that checks out, and every technology thing is quaintly nostalgic?

"Lets do research AT OUR LOCAL LIBRARY"
Old 02-21-2019, 07:38 PM
You must whip it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Episode 2's use of Run Boy Run by Woodkid was also a TV soundtrack high water mark, I feel.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:50 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Just watched the first ep and I am definitely intrigued.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:59 PM
This Guy

Scientifically determined, not just the product of one person's opinion Umbrella Academy likability index:

1. Hazel
2. Number 5
3. Agnes
4. Allison
5. Klaus
6. Ben
7. Grace/Mom
8. Pogo
9. Vayna
10. Diego
11. Cha-Cha
12. Luther
13. Reginald Hargreeves
14. Leonard

It pains me to see Pogo that low, but that chimp is liar.

Last edited by Rascally Badger; 02-23-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:03 PM
You must whip it

Spoiler tags please. I'm watching at a slow pace because there's several of us all watching together. Episode 3 (and maybe 4) tonight!
Old 02-26-2019, 10:28 AM
Not a Beer

So I'm three eps in and my current theory is that time cops are after five because it turns out that his desperate quest to stop the apocalypse is actually going to cause it, though I could be way off. Also that bit doesn't (yet) address the original mystery around dad's death.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:08 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther, an Otter View Post
Also its weird that they are specifying its taking place in 2019 because nothing about that checks out, and every technology thing is quaintly nostalgic?

"Lets do research AT OUR LOCAL LIBRARY"
yeah, it's very Chilling Adventures of Sabrina in that way. i thought it was because this takes place in an alternate timeline where JFK wasn't assassinated, because that's what happened in the comics, but then Five's backstory confirms that that still happens
Old 03-01-2019, 12:28 PM
so exciting!

some thoughts on season 1, as a whole, so like big ol spoilers:
At first I was like, "oh obvi the Ben, the kid that died and could turn into a giant lovecraft monster and expressly hated doing so" is probably the cause of the apocalypse, somehow" but then it turns out Ben is, like, the most likable member of the family, so whoops!

At first I was like, "Oh wow this dude showing up in Vanya's apartment for the violin lessons is kind of creepy" and then I was like "Oh yikes this dude who literally carved a figurine of Vanya the day after meeting her is super creepy and probs has been stalking her for a long time" and then I was like "Oh she's just... showing up at his house? In the middle of the night? Maybe I misinterpreted their earlier interactions as creepy and they're both just awkward nerds, but if that's the case I wish the carpenter had been a nice young woman instead of a dude" but then I was like "Ok, no, he's 100% a creep" when Allison catches him in Vanya's apartment.

it sounds like the comic was a bit more... "Ok I'm gonna be a super villain now because y'all were jerks!" for Vanya, whereas the show goes more X3: The Last Stand, where it's "I'm an evil force of nature now."

I don't fully understand how the apocalypse went down the first time - luther has leonard's fake eye, so that would have to mean there was a confrontation with leonard at some point, but the only reason they knew leonard was up to something was because five intercepted the time assassin orders, which he expressly did not do in the original apocalypse. so i guess leonard and vanya dropped by to gloat about her powers, things got out of hand and she brings the whole house down?

also let us take a moment and think about how the apocalypse would not have happened if the dad hadn't killed himself - klaus never would have stolen the stuff from the study, leonard never would have gotten his hands on the notebook and never found out about vanya.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:17 PM
100% All Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Also the first episode used both Tiffany and They Might Be Giants to such great effect that the licensed song chooser deserves some kind of award of their own.
I hardly needed to be sold on this show since I've read Apocalypse Suite and liked it a lot, but there may be no way to increase my goodwill more than to set an action scene to "Istabul (Not Constantinople)."
Old 03-12-2019, 05:51 PM
You must whip it

Six episodes in (it's been hard getting everyone together to watch at the same time) and we're all pretty sure that the person who causes the apocalypse is Vanya.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:36 PM
Not a Beer

Finally managed to finish the season off. Good stuff. Do we have any idea whether they're making more?
Old 03-24-2019, 10:13 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Finally managed to finish the season off. Good stuff. Do we have any idea whether they're making more?
it's unclear since season 1 was already a mixture of the first two (of three) comic arcs, and given the budget they spent for season 1 i'm guessing this isn't one of those "we filmed 20 episodes at the same time and we're releasing them as season 1 and season 2" scenarios
Old 05-16-2019, 08:39 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

I finally finished watching last night. I'm frustrated that they gave us a show full of superheroes who don't use their superpowers.

• Luther doesn't really have superpowers besides "stronk," and he uses muscles now and then, I guess.
  • Diego occasionally throws knives when appropriate, though he also spends a lot of time getting into fistfights. Why are you punching Hazel and Cha-Cha??
  • Klaus's inability to use his powers is a major plot point. This is fine in isolation. At least Klaus channels Ben frequently.
  • Allison comes very close to using her power a single time over the course of the show, but she doesn't quite pull it off.
  • Number Five is the only one to use his powers on a regular basis. Let's all give him a round of applause.
  • Ben is dead.
  • Vanya becomes the White Violin just in time for the final episode, where it takes her five minutes to do it in the comics.

And I get that they were going for something very different than the comics. But I think they needed to commit to that, because the last two episodes felt very contrived: things happened because they needed to happen to get the story going in the right direction. In particular, Luther is the only one who wants to lock up Vanya, but everyone else just lets him have his way on it, and then Vanya is perfectly capable of breaking out, but she doesn't bother for several hours because ???.

Tags
hour long episodes why