The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 01-28-2019, 12:40 PM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh
Default The Charangs are Changin': Talkin' MIDI 2.0!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI#MIDI_2.0

16 channels? No, my friend, let's talk 16 groups of 16 channels! 256 MIDI channels in a single stream -- and now with the possibility for 32-bit values for pitch, volume, and velocity! While that might sound like overkill, I'm particularly excited for the wild new world of microtonal composition that might be possible as a result of this (as mentioned in the video). Individual note pitch-bend does sound a bit like overkill but that's more from a perspective of someone who only does arranging and doesn't have one of those mushy keyboards where you can drag your fingers around to vary pitches; I imagine from a performance standpoint that it's something a lot of people will want.

The details are, however, a bit sparse about what the implementation will look like. Backward compatibility is an obvious ideal (which it sounds like the basic idea of having the 256-channel goal being divided into groups of 16 is meant to accomplish, as these groups can also use a MIDI 1.0 protocol to communicate, so a 1.0 MIDI file, for example, is just a single group of 16 channels using that protocol). For that matter, despite my title, there are no details on whether or not the general midi standard will be superseded from what I can tell; this is entirely a matter of protocol specification.

Who else is excited?
Old 01-28-2019, 12:59 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

If it turns out like video specs did (look up a history of HD encoding, it's a laugh/cry), there'll be five or six different implementations that all do mostly the same thing in a completely different way in the first six months. At which point it will then turn into that xkcd comic about standards.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:52 AM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

REVENGE OF MIDI
Old 01-29-2019, 10:51 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

I've never needed more than 16 channels or 127 values of velocity, but like the video says, it's more about future-proofing the technology. I love that MIDI did its job so well that it hardly needs improving even now.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:06 PM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Yeah, to my mind the goal for MIDI was always about minimizing latency. Some 30-odd years later I can see why they'd want to take advantage of the improvements in all the rest of the relevant tech so we can wait another 30 or so years for MIDI 3.0.

Tags
i'm needy for midi , music nerds