The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 10-18-2017, 06:22 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Anyone on the forums have experience with Seventh Continent?

It's going through a second round of KS funding (first big expansion) and I was thinking of buying in but wanted to get some 1st person accounts if possible.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:04 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
The Exceed Season 2 kickstarter has a big collector's box that fits all the game's characters at once and it is very sexy. On the other hand, one of the things I appreciate about Exceed is the fact that it normally comes in such small, easy to store boxes. I'm very conflicted here!
False alarm, turns out the level I pledged at gets me the box as a stretch goal anyway.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:15 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Anyone on the forums have experience with Seventh Continent?

It's going through a second round of KS funding (first big expansion) and I was thinking of buying in but wanted to get some 1st person accounts if possible.
I played it at a recent gaming weekend. We played for like 8 hours and we didn't finish the scenario. Nobody had played before, so we were learning as we went a bit, but we are all experienced gamers, so we got it in hand fairly quickly. I don't know what the expected length of a scenario is supposed to be, but one of the players said they thought it was intended to be played over multiple sessions. I enjoyed it while I played it, but it went on way too long for me. The way the scenario played out, I thought we were getting close to the end about 6 hours or so in, so I pushed to keep going, but then there was essentially a whole other area that opened up, and I had to throw in the towel. Mechanically, I think it works, but you probably need a solid group that can commit to playing multiple sessions per scenario and is willing to keep that going.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:17 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
I played it at a recent gaming weekend. We played for like 8 hours and we didn't finish the scenario. Nobody had played before, so we were learning as we went a bit, but we are all experienced gamers, so we got it in hand fairly quickly. I don't know what the expected length of a scenario is supposed to be, but one of the players said they thought it was intended to be played over multiple sessions. I enjoyed it while I played it, but it went on way too long for me. The way the scenario played out, I thought we were getting close to the end about 6 hours or so in, so I pushed to keep going, but then there was essentially a whole other area that opened up, and I had to throw in the towel. Mechanically, I think it works, but you probably need a solid group that can commit to playing multiple sessions per scenario and is willing to keep that going.
That sounds insane?! Thanks for the report!
Old 10-23-2017, 09:58 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Coaster Park looks right up my alley. Instant wishlist.

I have an inexplicable attraction to theme-park-building games (Steam Park is also great, and you should play it). This one has you putting pieces of track together and rolling a marble through them. A+++. Now it just needs to release.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:02 PM
and ermine, too

Last Week:
Dilluvia Project (new)
Solarius Mission (new)

Reviewcon (friend's house-con):
Junk Art, Traders of Osaka, Sheriff of Nottingham, Samarkand
Cobras (new)
Unlock! The Island of Doctor Goorse (new)
Sidereal Confluence (new)
Timbuktu, Between Two Cities: Capitals, 1846, Favor of the Pharaoh, Haspelknecht, Luna
Caverna: Cave vs Cave (new)
Lisboa

This Week:
Caverna: Cave vs. Cave, First Martians
2x King’s Road (new)
2x Tulip Bubble (new)
1862: Railway Mania in the Eastern Counties (new)
Archon: Glory and Machination (new)

Dulluvia Project, Solarius Mission, and Archon: Glory and Machination were all games I picked up in an auction lot. Solarius Mission is great (slight preference over La Granja from the same designers, but I haven’t played either very much) Dilluvia Project and Archon are fine, but missing the enjoyment of puttering around the map in Solarius Mission.

Sidereal Confluence is a hell of a game. The designer diary suggests that he started with a huge game (AH Civilization in space) and pared it down until it was just the trading phase.

I’m quite fond of Timbuktu, and was more than happy to play it with five players (it feels a bit ‘off’ with four, since you have a dummy hand to pass around)

I have now taught… eight or nine people 18xx using 1846. This weekend I even had an “aha” moment prompted by working through a new player’s question (Why do the corporations run in reverse order in the first Operating Round?)

I received my copy of 1862EA earlier this month, there’s a lot of unique rules to digest (three kinds of trains and 20 corporations with a random setup that assigns different train permits to each). You get a lot of money from growing stock value very quickly, it seems like a strong incentive to ensure that one of your corporations gets an H train (mine did not).

We played King’s Road incorrectly (twice!), I must have expended all my rules comprehension on 1862, with nothing left for such a simple game. (You’re supposed to score EVERYTHING left on the board)

When we played Tulip Bubble, I made an EV calculation: I had a 25% chance of cashing out and getting $115, and a 75% chance of finishing in the negatives. I lost, penniless, but it’s such a quick game that it’s hard to be mad.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:36 PM
and ermine, too

I don't think any unpublished game has been so solidly an insta-back for me, as a combination of designer, publisher, theme, and mechanisms:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ight-and-right

Quote:
Root is a game of adventure and war in which 2 to 4 players battle for control of a vast wilderness.

The nefarious Marquise de Cat has seized the great woodland, intent on harvesting its riches. Under her rule, the many creatures of the forest have banded together. This Alliance will seek to strengthen its resources and subvert the rule of Cats. In this effort, the Alliance may enlist the help of the wandering Vagabonds who are able to move through the more dangerous woodland paths. Though some may sympathize with the Alliance’s hopes and dreams, these wanderers are old enough to remember the great birds of prey who once controlled the woods.

Meanwhile, at the edge of the region, the proud, squabbling Eyrie have found a new commander who they hope will lead their faction to resume their ancient birthright. The stage is set for a contest that will decide the fate of the great woodland. It is up to the players to decide which group will ultimately take root.

Root represents the next step in our development of asymmetric design. Like Vast: the Crystal Caverns, each player in Root has unique capabilities and a different victory condition. Now, with the aid of gorgeous, multi-use cards, a truly asymmetric design has never been more accessible.

The Cats play a game of engine building and logistics while attempting to police the vast wilderness. By collecting Wood they are able to produce workshops, lumber mills, and barracks. They win by building new buildings and crafts.

The Eyrie musters their hawks to take back the Woods. They must capture as much territory as possible and build roosts before they collapse back into squabbling.

The Alliance hides in the shadows, recruiting forces and hatching conspiracies. They begin slowly and build towards a dramatic late game presence--but only if they can manage to keep the other players in check.

Meanwhile, the Vagabond plays all sides of the conflict for their own gain, while hiding a mysterious quest. Explore the board, fight other factions, and work towards achieving your hidden goal.

In Root, players drive the narrative, and the differences between each role create an unparalleled level of interaction and replayability. Leder Games invites you and your family to explore the fantastic world of Root!
Old 10-24-2017, 12:47 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

That looks super neat. Is Vast any good?
Old 10-24-2017, 08:41 PM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

I did not think so, but we only played it once and I think you'd have to play it a few times when everyone actually knows what the hell they're doing to get a good appraisal.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:11 PM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
That looks super neat. Is Vast any good?
I think Vast is impressive, but I didn't find playing the Goblins to be an experience that I want to play over and over. So the publisher alone isn't enough to draw me to the game.

Similarly, I have been aware of Cole Wehrle's work for a year or so, but wasn't particularly drawn to PAX Pamir or An Infamous Traffic. So the designer alone wasn't enough to draw me to the game.

But... knowing that someone who puts so much care and thought into their games is going to be paired up with a team that can produce an impressive piece of work like Vast has me very excited.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:58 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Our obligatory playthrough of Betrayal at House on the Hill last night gave us the zombie scenario.

In general, you want the house as explored as possible when the haunt starts. We had quite a few gaps in our exploration, which ended up being extremely advantageous. The Zombie Lord (played by my brother) was in the basement, and we hadn't discovered a way to leave the basement. He quickly killed the two explorers who were unlucky enough to end up there, leaving my mom as Peter Akimoto and me as Zoe Ingstrom in the upstairs, being chased by nine zombies.

As we explored away from the zombies, I found Dynamite (which I quickly used to take out three zombies), an Axe, and the Holy Symbol, while Peter found the Blood Dagger. I ran headlong into the remaining six zombies and took one out. Peter followed suit and instantly died. The traitor then proceeded to throw all of the zombies at me, who died one after another. Because the Zombie Lord uses monster rules, he is unable to explore into new rooms, and he was stuck in the basement, meaning I got unlimited turns to prepare for the final encounter.

Fast forward, and Zoe Ingstrom is a one-girl army. I eventually found the Coal Chute (after running out of upstairs rooms), allowing the Zombie Lord to challenge a little girl in combat.

He un-died horribly.

Betrayal is a great game.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:43 PM
and ermine, too

normal-sized update:

Schnappchen Jagd
4x Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 (new)
2x For-Ex (new)
The Great Zimbabwe (new)
Starship Merchants
The Quest for El Dorado (new)
Escape from 100 Million BC (new)
Run, Fight, or Die!

Anthony brought Pandemic Legacy: Season 2. It’s an exploration game - a strong positive for me - and about as different from Pandemic as you can get while still feeling familiar. Enthusiastic about finishing it.

For-Ex went over very well the first time, and then we played with Dan who hated every minute (there were only about 30-40 minutes to hate). I really appreciate how this game gives you about five rules, and then says ‘good luck’ and throws you in the deep end with everyone else, who will be just as confused as you. Nothing happens except as directed by the players, and you get to make interesting trades like “5 USD for 17.5 JPY” and make tactical use of insolvency to play with money you don’t have.

I managed to run all my trains out of Fort Wayne in 1846, and I would have done well… if I had any significant investment in NYC, which climbed all the way to 510 at the end with the help of the Mail Contract.

Escape from 100 Million BC is good fun (I appreciate any game that uses the same dice pool as The Burning Wheel) and The Quest for El Dorado has such broad appeal that I’m a bit surprised it lost to Kingdomino (which I also enjoy)
Old 10-30-2017, 06:42 PM
Space dad

I've been playing a lot of Twilight Struggle on my Fire and motherfuck this game is hard to win. It took me probably six or seven games just to figure out how I'm supposed to win. My single win so far has been a forced Defcon 1 during the USSR AI's turn, a trick it's used on me at least twice.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:49 PM
Dinger!

Pronouns: he/him

Which side have you been playing as?
Old 10-30-2017, 07:52 PM
Space dad

USA, mostly. Once or twice as USSR. Also losing.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:12 PM
Dinger!

Alright, so I'm no Twilight Struggle grandmaster, but I've played a hell of a lot of the game, so I might be able to offer a few pointers.

Number one is to learn the cards. That's just a matter of repetition. If that's not fun for you, it'll be tough to get good. Remember the early game cards especially, as they'll be the ones that show up the most. Anything that could possibly lower DEFCON, or give your opponent an opportunity to coup on your turn, is especially important to catalogue. As you note, those cards can lose you the game outright.

Once you know the cards, you can play around them. It's often better to have your opponents events in your hand than your own, since you can play them at the most opportune time possible and minimize their effects.

Avoid playing your own cards for the event if they'll be removed from the game, especially if they're Early War events. The US would much rather have Marshall Plan stay in the deck as a friendly 4 OPs card, for instance, than to play it for the event and thin the deck. Likewise with the USSR and any of their big Early War cards.

Recognize when you're in a losing battle. If you've noticed that your opponent is going after a region and their already ahead of you, don't try to play catch-up unless you've got a hand full of great cards that could flip the region. Secure enough territory to avoid being wiped away from the region and then go fight somewhere you're stronger.

Get coups in whenever you can. Especially as the US, your opportunities will be few and far between. Take them when you get them.

Sorry, that's kind of just a bunch of stuff off the top of my head. If you've got specific questions or anything though, I'd be happy to help.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:15 PM
Space dad

Nah, that's good advice, thanks. I was just figuring out in the last game that I might want to keep churning my own high-value cards instead of playing them as events.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:22 PM
Dinger!

Yeah. As a general rule, the lower OPs value cards are the ones you want to play for the events. The higher ones are better for the OPs (there are some exceptions). Also, there are a bunch of events that are much better when you headline them.

Another thing that I should mention, because it trips up beginners all the time: use the Space Race to avoid playing dangerous cards. Don't pursue it as an end in itself. Unless you really don't want to trigger an event, you're almost always better playing a card for the OPs than space racing it.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:33 PM
Space dad

Yeah, I've only been spacing bad stuff.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:36 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
Also, there are a bunch of events that are much better when you headline them.
Can you elaborate? I never know what to headline.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:36 AM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Can you elaborate? I never know what to headline.
The three main things: cards that have effects that last the whole turn, cards that you almost always want to play for the event and cards that let you play OPs (or make coups) as part of the event.

In group one: Red Scare/Purge, Containment, Breznev Doctrine, Vietnam Revolts, Nuclear Subs, Cuban Missile Crisis, Chernobyl, etc.

In group two: Truman Doctrine, Five Year Plan, Grain Sales to Soviets, Duck and Cover, Muslim Revolution, Nasser, Sadat Expels Soviet, OPEC... essentially, really powerful events and especially really powerful events on small OPs value cards.

In group three: CIA Created, Lone Gunman, Cambridge Five, Olympic Games, Grain Sales to Soviets, Missile Envy, Junta, etc.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:57 AM
Fun Club Agent

My goodness, Kingdom Death: Monster has taken over all our lives. I'll have to give a full report later.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:31 AM
Gynarchy in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSnake View Post
My goodness, Kingdom Death: Monster has taken over all our lives. I'll have to give a full report later.
Please do. I always assumed it was a sloppy game that just came with the minis.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:17 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
Please do. I always assumed it was a sloppy game that just came with the minis.
This is how I mentally bin literally every board game Kickstarter with minis, and I have yet to experience anything that's made me feel otherwise. It's cool that some people dig them, but they're deffo not for me.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:02 PM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumadore View Post
sloppy
Heh heh heh
Old 10-31-2017, 08:39 PM
Gynarchy in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
This is how I mentally bin literally every board game Kickstarter with minis, and I have yet to experience anything that's made me feel otherwise. It's cool that some people dig them, but they're deffo not for me.
Yeah, I mean, I bought Dark Souls and it is exactly what I described. But that many great Dark Souls minis for the price is a good deal, and I'm going to paint them and use them for like D&D and Frostgrave and stuff more than for the game it came with.

Honestly if you could buy Kingdom Death in a store I would probably have that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Heh heh heh
I am enjoying trying to interpret this as my mind just keeps flipping back and forth between grotesque monsters and "pinup" minis. I don't know anything else about the game!

Whenever I paint a half-naked miniature lady, I always paint on a little shirt and pants.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:23 PM
Fun Club Agent

Okay, so I'm not going to comment on balance or things like that, because the campaign can swing wildly between extremely difficult and a walk in the park depending on your builds, but more than anything else, Kingdom Death is a super fucking fascinating game.

The combat itself was what I was most skeptical about since it's basically four versus a monster in a giant, empty arena, but the AI deck makes things tense and dynamic, and the way it doubles as the enemy's life total is great, as is the hit location deck and the way it handles critical hits. It's a lot of moving parts, but I really dig how it all plays out. And the monsters have cool as hell gimmicks, such as a knight that exerts battle pressure and forces you to roll on a table, with each roll getting more and more bonuses as you gain Battle Tempo and learn his footwork, which eventually earns you a Battle Art. The built-in narratives that happen during these battles are amazing.

More fascinating is the settlement management as you attempt to hold your settlement together in a harsh landscape by keeping your population up, developing Innovations that improve your settlement, and building gear from hunted resources. Making all these decisions over a 30-year campaign is incredibly rewarding.

The glue holding everything together is the Story Events, which will trigger at specific moments and often introduce new mechanics or story developments. Sometimes it contains an entire mechanic, such as the Intimacy table for increasing your population through childbirth, or the Aging tables. Something new is always happening, and you always are waiting to see what's around the corner next.

The short version is that Kingdom Death: Monster is an incredibly intricate game where everything interconnects, and exploring the game's unfathomable depth is really hooking everyone in. It feels as dynamic as a Legacy game, and we're doing our best not to spoil ourselves as we go to keep that feeling. We've spent multiple day-long sessions playing this game, so needless to say everyone's a fan.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:14 PM
Space dad

We (myself, my wife, her cousin, and Zenny) played Mansions of Madness 2E's dinner party murder mystery scenario last night, and had a blast. We failed to actually uncover the killer and instead had to fight the victim's angry ghost when we accused the wrong guest. We really enjoyed the low emphasis on combat, which is not MoM's strong suit, so it was kinda funny that the last few rounds were all spent trying to kill a furious ghost with 36 health.

So in sum we A.) failed to stop the killer, B.) failed to catch the killer, C.) had to destroy the victim's spirit, and D.) burned down his house when one of the party got scared and dropped a kerosene lantern in the hall where we were fighting.
Oops!

We actually won the scenario, but in the worst possible way.

Last edited by Sarcasmorator; 11-05-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:01 AM
Can't maintain

Played four games of 4-player Cthulhu Wars on Saturday. We randomly draw factions at the start of each game and not only did Great Cthulhu get drawn in every game, but he was drawn by a different player each time and went on to win three of those games. Even in the one game he didn't win, i only edged him out by one point, 30 to 29.

A weird, anomolous day. But a blast. We haven't gotten Cthulhu Wars to the table in a few months so it felt great to devote a whole gameday to it.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:38 PM

1X Scythe
1X Jaipur
3X Dominion, various expansions

My second game of Scythe, and I'm beginning to develop an opinion. Personally I don't see anything inspired in the mechanics. If a publisher came to a competent game developer and asked for a game with workers and mechs on a map, with resources, battle, and abilities...chances are the game they designed would be very similar to Scythe. The art is great no doubt, but it's not a "must buy" for me.

Tags
afk , bard games , beard james , board dames , board games , board james , bro games , broad games , dice , face to face , penalty for being board , tabletop games , traditional games , wait whose turn is it