The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 01-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Space dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisel View Post
Mansions of Madness - Haven't played this almost 100% due to setup time. I don't game much in my own apartment due to space issues, so I haven't managed to schedule time to hang out at a friend's place and set it up.
Choose a scenario and specifics, and sort out all the cards you'll need ahead of time by room, and bag or bind them up. That will make it much quicker to set up when you actually have a chance to play. (This assumes you're playing Keeper.)
Old 01-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Dinger!

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by pence View Post
Mr. Jack Pocket (2 years)
Citadels (1 month)
Spot It! (1 month)
Through the Desert (1 week)
Castles of Burgundy (1 week)

I play every board game I buy, but Mr. Jack Pocket was a weird impulse purchase.
Mr. Jack Pocket is really good, you should have played that when Demo was over.

EDIT: I don't own any games I haven't played, but I live with a board game collector and work at a board game cafe, so if I care enough about a game to actually buy, it's going to be one that I'll definitely play.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 PM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoWeasel View Post
I need my Carcassonne fix with an ermine.

It is the most fun board game, seriously.
I love playing Carcassonne with you! And everything else, too. Next time we'll have to play two-player 7 Wonders and... everything else we didn't play. Mr Jack Pocket :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
There is a pretty great version for iDevices that you can play against others.
I suggested that, but you can't stack meeples. An important tactile element!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Firestorm (I think it's called that it's new, coop and about firefighting) - 2 weeks - Need to sit down and learn the game
It's actually called Flash Point
Old 01-17-2013, 05:40 AM
Manic Brawler

Oh, we're talking unplayed board games? I have mostly big and/or monster games that are sitting unplayed.

Although I've played a friend's copy, my expansions for TI3 are unplayed.

As for straight-up unplayed:
-Andean Abyss
-Labyrinth: The War on Terror 2001-?
-Paths of Glory
-Beyond Valor: ASL Module 1
-Descent 2nd Ed.

And let's not forget that there are plenty of unplayed scenarios in games I have tried (e.g. I've only played one of something like 10 or so scenarios in Combat Commander).

Considering, however, that I have something along the lines of 94 games, I think this is an okay amount of unplayed stuff.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Birthday game purchases have been a hit!

We've been playing at least one game of Carcassone most every day since I got it before we go to bed.

I was worried that Race for the Galaxy would not work out for him at first, because I had a huge advantage for a while as a result of learning the rules thoroughly to teach us both to play, so for a few games he was a bit frustrated. However, things eventually evened out and he won 4/6 games over yesterday and today, and most every game was within a 5 victory point margin or so.

As we've become more evenly matched, it also becomes less and less like 2 player solitaire, because it makes it more important to notice the other players' strategy to (1) help determine which phases to play and (2) make sure they're not about to completely devastate you and end the game before you can get a working strategy in place, because a well developed economic engine with 2x Victory Points (or a number of other things) can shut things down incredibly quickly.

So, we've got over the iconography hump and are into the ZOMG this game is great phase. It's probably a degree of stockholm syndrome, but I've actually grown to love the iconography for packing so much easy to parse information without much text. It really speeds up the game when you only have to read a couple cards and most are instantly understandable. The iconography learning curve is the price you pay for the game's speed once you understand the visuals.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:05 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

I'm incredibly jealous. My honeymoon phase with RftG was the most fun I've ever had with a board game. My wife and I played it for at least an hour a night for over a month. And the more we played, the better we both got, and it was great to improve at the same pace, and it felt like we were peeling back layers of strategy like an onion. I've carefully researched every game I've purchased since then to try and recapture that experience, but to no avail.

Just beware: if you try to teach your friends to play at this point, you'll wipe the floor for them, which won't be fun for them or for you. There's not much to be done about that other than push through it or stick to 2-player though.

Quote:
As we've become more evenly matched, it also becomes less and less like 2 player solitaire
One other not-so-obvious bit of player interaction that's especially true in a 2-player game is to hold onto cards that you don't want to keep them from cycling back into the deck and possibly be drawn by the other player. Like if you draw the Rebel Homeworld and your opponent is playing military, or you draw the perfect 6-cost for their tableau.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 AM
Dinger!

I should give Race for the Galaxy another shot. It's been a year since I learned it.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:56 AM
and ermine, too

I've only played RftG once at Red Hedgehog's. I need to play it more to form an opinion, but it's on my list somewhere below Android: Netrunner and the Eclipse expansion right now.

Getting off of work early for MLK day this afternoon, so I get to bust out some 2-player Castles of Burgundy with Comb Stranger.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Space dad

Daaaang I have a lot of stuff from this week to go through (the Descent 2nd Edition in the upper left I've had for a while). Not going to be able to buy a bunch of stuff like this again for a looong time.

When I pledged for Sedition Wars I knew there would be some assembly required. But I wasn't quite prepared for how much. That's just the bonus figure pack. This is new territory for me. I have some paints and a couple spare figures from other games to practice on; going to try to figure out how this is done before attacking a game like this,
Old 01-18-2013, 07:37 PM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Getting off of work early for MLK day this afternoon, so I get to bust out some 2-player Castles of Burgundy with Comb Stranger.
Game is definitely worth buying. I've heard it compared to Agricola because you're playing your own solitaire game and occasionally blocking the other players, but I don't have Agricola, so it's novel to me. I won by grabbing lots of knowledge tiles in the first phase and being able to break rules for the rest of the game.

Also, like all German board games, you have to come up with upsetting explanations for what the knowledge tiles represent:
  • Mines that produce workers: Molemen
  • Shipping gives you a worker: Slave labor
  • Shipping gives you an extra silverling: Blood diamonds
  • Workers adjust the result by +2/-2: Eugenics
  • Animals produce more points: Battery cages
Old 01-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Dinger!

I think I've already mentioned it here, but Ginkgopolis is totally awesome. Anybody who likes Euros should give it a shot.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:44 PM
Nonplussed

Hung out with some friends this evening and played a bunch of older games:
Wildlife Adventure
Ticket to Ride
Pig Pong

Great fun was had.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:35 PM
A real human being

The ladyfriend and I went and picked up some games today. We ended up with DungeonQuest and Castles of Burgundy. I'm looking forward to trying out DungeonQuest and teaching her Castles. Definitely up her alley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
I think I've already mentioned it here, but Ginkgopolis is totally awesome. Anybody who likes Euros should give it a shot.
I still need to play this a second time. Definitely liked it the first time around, but as everyone I played it with hadn't played before, it wasn't entirely clear what the best way to go was.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:42 PM
A No.1

So we played 7 Wonders for the first time tonight. And then played it 2 more times. It's pretty swell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
Ticket to Ride
That + 1910 expansion is still, for my money, the best board game ever.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:28 PM
Comprehends Words

Finally got a chance to play Race for the Galaxy with friends the other day, and it was everything people told me it would be (like Puerto Rico, but SPACE). Needless to say, I had a blast.

Looking forward to experimenting with expansions, since what little I've heard sounds very appealing -- our games came down almost entirely to aliens and military every time, which was a tad disappointing, but didn't dull the fun at all.

Also got a chance to play The Walking Dead (the comic one, not the show one), and it was... meh. Neat idea, but at the end of the day, the zombies just don't pose much of a threat (you leave zombies in your wake as you move, but they don't actively follow you), and there are mechanics for both teaming up with other players and parting ways, but there's absolutely no reason to do the latter in the rules as written. We thought of a few ways to amend it to make things more interesting (slight changes in win conditions for groups, and ability to screw people over if you can get to a single-player win condition quickly by splitting up), but I don't know if they'd add enough to make it interesting.

Now that I've got a semi-regular group together, it's time to blow the dust off all the games I've purchased but never played. Pandemic, Thunderstone Advance, Survive: Escape from Atlantis and Lupin the 3rd: I'm looking at you!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:36 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
New Games I've bought and haven't played!

Puerto Rico - it won BMBGT2 - I need three or more people to play this and I also need to sit down and learn how to play it

Ghost Story - 3 months - Haven't sat down and reviewed the rules or played it.

Flash Point - 2 weeks - Need to sit down and learn the game
Played it tonight with the wife. We played on the easy version to learn. It's fun similar to pandemic in some ways though the fire spreads differently and you're racing around the board trying to find victims and take them out of the house!

FUN!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:38 PM
Nonplussed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
That + 1910 expansion is still, for my money, the best board game ever.
We played the basic game, because the people we were playing with hadn't played before. I'd actually intended to play Team Asia.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:43 PM
A real human being

Quote:
Played it tonight with the wife. We played on the easy version to learn. It's fun similar to pandemic in some ways though the fire spreads differently and you're racing around the board trying to find victims and take them out of the house!

FUN!
I love this game. It's kinda hit-or-miss with a lot of people since the fire is (realistically) unpredictable, so with my friends there have been a few who haven't been fans. It's a shame the easy difficulty doesn't really prepare you for how ridiculous(ly awesome) it can get. I highly recommend the expansions, although they are very hard. I've yet to win on either of them.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:56 PM
and ermine, too

Crossed Citadels off the list of unplayed games tonight. Game itself is pretty entertaining, but the true victory is using a real crown to indicate who is king, and then roleplaying it.

Rex ended on the second turn. I'm not sure if I actually enjoy playing that game as much as I simply appreciate it for existing.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:55 PM
Space dad

Quote:
Rex ended on the second turn. I'm not sure if I actually enjoy playing that game as much as I simply appreciate it for existing.
Someone waltzed into a three strongholds win, right?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:46 AM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
Yep. Didn't even see it happening until it was done. I still have yet to develop a basic, functional strategy after two plays, I'm doing no better than playing randomly.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:24 AM
Curious Young Gent

Anyone heard anything about or ever played Ikusa? The presentation, box, player number and theme seem pretty spot on for what my group enjoys, but I'd never heard of it before. Anyone know if it's any good?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:35 AM
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calorie Mate View Post
So we played 7 Wonders for the first time tonight. And then played it 2 more times. It's pretty swell.
Play 7 Wonders quite a few more times, and then buy the expansions. They add a whole layer of new strategy to the game, and I believe the game is incredibly enhanced by it. Specifically the "Leaders" expansion. So many ways to try to win!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:22 AM
A real human being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
Play 7 Wonders quite a few more times, and then buy the expansions. They add a whole layer of new strategy to the game, and I believe the game is incredibly enhanced by it. Specifically the "Leaders" expansion. So many ways to try to win!
I'd say don't only get Leaders. It adds another layer but on its own, I feel it's not enough. Add in Cities and it's great though!
Old 01-20-2013, 07:59 AM
Comprehends Words

Quote:
Crossed Citadels off the list of unplayed games tonight. Game itself is pretty entertaining, but the true victory is using a real crown to indicate who is king, and then roleplaying it.
There's actually a district that, when you control it, people need to respond "Thank you, your excellence" when you call out their role as king. If they don't, or if they screw up the phrasing, they lose their turn.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Erudite Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
I (University of Jol-Nar) marched on the Naval Spaceport from the Civilian Spaceport, and used rapid deployment to jump on Mecatol Power South.

They were both defended. I was entirely bluffing on the Naval port; I miscounted before moving and pence should have won easily.

Then both of the defenders used Tactical Retreats.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:55 AM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointzeroeight View Post
I'd say don't only get Leaders. It adds another layer but on its own, I feel it's not enough. Add in Cities and it's great though!
Duly noted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchstick View Post
We played the basic game, because the people we were playing with hadn't played before. I'd actually intended to play Team Asia.
1910 only really adds a ton more routes (and human sized cards to hold, which is nice). The increased routes make the options varied enough so that other veterans can't game the system and (confidently) guess where you're trying to go, without making it any harder for new players.

Team Asia is a hoot, although I've yet to be able to play 3 teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by widdershins View Post
Also got a chance to play The Walking Dead (the comic one, not the show one), and it was... meh.
The only zombie-themed board game you should be playing is City of Horror. Quite possibly my 2012 Board GOTY.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:35 PM
and ermine, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombar View Post
Anyone heard anything about or ever played Ikusa? The presentation, box, player number and theme seem pretty spot on for what my group enjoys, but I'd never heard of it before. Anyone know if it's any good?
Only thing I know about it is that it's changed names a couple times; Samurai Swords > Shogun > Ikusa. There's a video review of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEdzoBWJpbo
Old 01-20-2013, 01:49 PM
gatchapon 3*

Team Asia has my hometown Baroda on it!

Tags
afk , bard games , beard james , board dames , board games , board james , bro games , broad games , dice , face to face , penalty for being board , tabletop games , traditional games , wait whose turn is it