The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-20-2019, 06:33 PM
Conquers the World

Okay, I don't actually think they'll have region selections for the Castlevania Collection - I'm thinking they're just going to release pretty much the Japanese versions of all of them and the collection is going to be the same in every region. Konami UK's twitter is advertising that their version of the collection is going to have Bloodlines and not the heavily censored New Generations version, and the fact that they're giving us Kid Dracula at all tells me they're willing to do some localization work. I mean, apart from Bloodlines, Akumajou Densetsu is the only one that was appreciably different from region to region apart from some minor censorship in IV.

I guess what I'm thinking is: does it make more sense for Konami to translate what little text those games had and just release an identical version of the collection in every region, or to arrange specific curations for every region, but also include one game in all of them that was previously Japan-exclusive and also give the UK a version of one game that was previously exclusive to Japan and the US? And even if you don't trust Konami to pick the option that makes the most sense, which choice is really the lazier one?
Old 04-20-2019, 07:37 PM
The Hyblid Framer

Having just one of either version of CVIII would be kind of a bummer regardless of which version it is. I like both of them for different reasons.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:12 PM
BAG

Default Not mentioned: Two Buster Dudes Two Crude Buster Buster Crude Crude Too

Heh, yeah sometimes game collections get lazy and toss the Japanese versions in. Just look at the Data East Arcade Classics on Wii. Nothing like some Caveman Ninja, Burning Rubber, and Secret Agent back to back!
Old 04-20-2019, 10:20 PM
Cloudcuckoolander

Wake me when they either include all regional versions in each single collection version or I can get the Japanese Steam version.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:55 AM
poisonous thread snake

Pronouns: un-/non-/it

Vague crosspost from the Easter Egg thread: can anyone identify the hidden symbol appearing here at approximately 29:13 in Ganbare Goemon 2 for the Super Famicom? Is this a reference to something? A sprite from another game?
Old 04-21-2019, 02:58 PM
Slammaster

Pronouns: He, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
Vague crosspost from the Easter Egg thread: can anyone identify the hidden symbol appearing here at approximately 29:13 in Ganbare Goemon 2 for the Super Famicom? Is this a reference to something? A sprite from another game?
Kinda looks like the bomb guy from the Parodius series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I guess what I'm thinking is: does it make more sense for Konami to translate what little text those games had and just release an identical version of the collection in every region, or to arrange specific curations for every region, but also include one game in all of them that was previously Japan-exclusive and also give the UK a version of one game that was previously exclusive to Japan and the US? And even if you don't trust Konami to pick the option that makes the most sense, which choice is really the lazier one?
I mean, dropping the US ROM into the UK collection isn't that much of a stretch, and I'm saying that translating Kid Dracula is maxing out their effort. I don't see them re-translating a game that's already translated, even if there's not a TON of text in it.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:51 AM
Conquers the World

FRICK MY DINGUS
Old 04-22-2019, 12:02 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I knew it.

Also looks like the changes to the ghost in Kid Dracula began and ended at simply removing the manji.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:00 PM

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I'm bad at knowing the difference between good and bad things, what's up with the screenshots?
Old 04-22-2019, 01:03 PM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I'm bad at knowing the difference between good and bad things, what's up with the screenshots?
It's the US version so it won't have the nicer soundtrack.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:04 PM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Just remember the old sailor's rhyme "Zombie's arms out, Castlevania III's about; Zombie's arms in, that's Akumajō Densetsu's spin."
Old 04-22-2019, 01:16 PM
Conquers the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
It's the US version so it won't have the nicer soundtrack.
It's not just the soundtrack, the US version is also quite a bit harder
Old 04-22-2019, 01:35 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Personally, I'm less disappointed about the music/difficulty/Grant's knife thing than I am that us getting the ol' localized version means that the awesome monster bunnies from Densetsu have been replaced by fleamen.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:09 PM
Eelection 2019 Info

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Did I mention I'm slightly upset we're not getting the colorized versions from the Konami GB collection? Because, yes, I am actually slightly upset at that.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:25 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Personally, I'm less disappointed about the music/difficulty/Grant's knife thing than I am that us getting the ol' localized version means that the awesome monster bunnies from Densetsu have been replaced by fleamen.
I'm mad about statue tiddy.

(I am not really mad about statue tiddy.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
Did I mention I'm slightly upset we're not getting the colorized versions from the Konami GB collection? Because, yes, I am actually slightly upset at that.
Legit. I mean, I didn't really expect them to be in there, but yeah, I'm with you.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:40 PM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

I'm not bothered by it. The Adventure and Belmont's Revenge have visual styles conducive to a monochrome presentation, and that's my preference between the versions. Since we're not getting a luxurious M2-style holistic treatment with this, I think they made the right choice with what to prioritize.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:56 PM
I hunt Mondays.

I'm with Peklo on this. Frankly, the colorized versions aren't even that good, they just look kinda wrong.

This ain't exactly a Link's Awakening DX.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:02 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
I'm not bothered by it. The Adventure and Belmont's Revenge have visual styles conducive to a monochrome presentation, and that's my preference between the versions. Since we're not getting a luxurious M2-style holistic treatment with this, I think they made the right choice with what to prioritize.
Honestly, my biggest sticking point is that the Konami GB Collection version of Adventure moves a bit faster, which makes it more playable now that we're not on a smeary dot-matrix (with stereo sound).
Old 04-24-2019, 02:29 PM
..and his little cat, too

I'd enjoy a black and white monochrome version even more if they had a filter that made it look like an old black-and-white movie, with the weird little flickers and scratches and whatnot about it.

Same for the color versions, now that I think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Just remember the old sailor's rhyme "Zombie's arms out, Castlevania III's about; Zombie's arms in, that's Akumajō Densetsu's spin."
This is why I hate that we don't have upvotes here.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:05 AM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

Shmuplations does Castlevania, by way of translated tweets by a developer who was mentored by elusive series creator Hitoshi Akamatsu. This is just about the only record of Akamatsu that exists outside of his work, informally or otherwise.

Excerpts that likely will not shock anyone at this point, but still:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmuplations
During the Famicom era at Konami, the overseas sales for Turtles was Konamiís highest seller, and because of that, the Turtles development team was prioritized above everything else. The Castlevania team (and others like it which didnít make a lot of money) had to survive on the scraps. There was a possibility for further Castlevania sequels on the Famicom, but it got pushed out by the popularity of Ninja Turtles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmuplations
Akamatsuís sequels to Castlevania sold poorly, so he was demoted to working in one of Konamiís game centers, and then he quit. According to Akamatsu, Konami placed profits above all else, and developers who werenít creating games that made lots of money were all eventually axed one-by-one. A number of them went on to do great work at Square Enix.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:10 AM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

That's wonderful information! I'll have to update my article on the game's development! Thanks for sharing Peklo!
Old 05-10-2019, 07:14 AM
Little Waves

Nice to have confirmation that Trevor's middle initial stands for Christopher. In the Japanese manual for the first game, Christopher gets played up as a legendary hero who preceded Simon, so it always seemed like the protagonist of the big prequel should have been him instead of a new character. I suppose the Game Boy team beat them to the punch, leading them to invent Trevor.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:22 AM
Outer Space Man

Pronouns: he/him/his

That's a really sad story for Akamatsu, especially considering that Konami's making more more money from his games this month. Where's that TMNT money? (Yes, I know, there'd be licensing fees and stuff, but my point still stands)
Old 05-15-2019, 07:39 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

Some big news coming up for this compilation!

First, first video footage, all in Deutsch unfortunately, but it doesn't look that bad to me, and there are both 4:3 and pixel-perfect options! Tweet guy I got the news from complains it's apparently 720p max (which eh) and there's some interpolation visible (not to me but I understand it may bother more keen-eyed people)

And secondly and more importantly, the one news that is making me actually consider getting this:
Japanese versions of the games will come as free DLC down the line! (link in Spanish but 's what I gots)

Ugghhh, I really don't wanna give any more money to Konami (even more after this last Akamatsu piece confirming once more their disgusting business practices) but this is tempting now...

ETA: Oh, derp, the original thread from GSK had the news that the Japanese versions would be added later, missed it the first time around.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:39 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensenic View Post
And secondly and more importantly, the one news that is making me actually consider getting this:
Japanese versions of the games will come as free DLC down the line! (link in Spanish but 's what I gots)
It doesn't say which games will get Japanese versions, but one would have to assume that CV3 is one of them, because it's... well, it's the version that is most different, so without it, there's not really a point. I'm also curious when this will happen.

But I am genuinely shocked. I never expected they would do this. Now they just need to retroactively add all the versions of Salamander/Life Force to the Arcade Classics comp.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:43 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Canít link on my phone, but Japanese ROM support is going to be added to the other two collections as well, ďfor relevant titlesĒ.

Which presumably means that Hard Corps will be playable, at last!

Not quite sure what that means for Life Force, though...
Old 05-16-2019, 05:09 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

Nintendo Life is confirming the option to switch between versions.

No word on when it hits, or 100% confirmation we'll get the better-sounding CV3 in the deal, but I can't imagine that isn't exactly what was in mind when they made this decision.

But between this and Bloodstained coming soon it's a good time to be a fan of all types of Vanias!
Old 05-16-2019, 07:09 AM
BAG

What about European ROMs in these collections for people in the USA?
Over the years maybe some people might have gone from Weeabo to Europeaboo.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:28 AM
I hunt Mondays.

I'd assume that Castlevania III and Belmont's Revenge are the surest bets for alternate version have, given that the two have the most significant changes (the latter's different subweapon and the former's difficulty/music/graphics/Grant. Maybe Castlevania 1 too, if they include that alternate version with the saving and easier difficulty options.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:43 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost from Spelunker View Post
What about European ROMs in these collections for people in the USA?
Over the years maybe some people might have gone from Weeabo to Europeaboo.
I in fact worry that we may be stuck with the 50 Hz PAL versions... no word on that? Maybe that German video explains but... Ich kanst nein sprache Deutsche.

Tags
can love bloom , erotic violence , goemon , group therapy , hard hitting anime , hit the lever , konami , literal dawn of sorrow , pachinkodius , please look forward to it , sadness , thin edge of the wedge , up up down down way down , valis is that you , y tho