The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 10-06-2017, 01:41 PM
King Of Space-Time

I expect a good number of you all to read Astro City #47.

Otherwise I expect to see people turn in their dog lovers cards.

LOOKING AT YOU, OCTO
Old 10-06-2017, 02:33 PM
Mystery Contraption

Man, that guys name better be “Good Boy”
Old 10-06-2017, 04:50 PM
the :motion: stands

Close.

It's G-Dog.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:58 AM
Mystery Contraption

The most surprising thing I’ve seen so far in Judge Dredd is perhaps the story that introduces the concept of Future-Shock, a condition where people who stop to think about the state of the world they live in immediately experience a deep psychological breakdown.

Thats not the surprising part; it’s perhaps the most Judge Dreddy thing in the world.

No, what comes as a surprise is that one citizen undergoing Future Shock grabs a hatchet and murders twenty people, and Dredd admonishes another Judge for wanting to arrest him; saying that the man needs medical help not punishment.

Bear in mind that Dredd usually explodes people for far less than that, and once threatened to arrest his television set for airing an illegal pirate broadcast.

To be fair, it was The Most Illegal Gameshow In the World, and he let his TV off with a warning for helping him track down the studio.

I love this crazy-ass comic book.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:24 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Read the first volume of Kill Six Billion Demons. Really good art and I... think I liked the story. The problem is by the time I finished the book, I realized that the story seems to have just gotten started. I like that I don't know where it is going and the dialogue sometimes make it a little less accessible than I expected (which is part of the reason I was unable to get into Metabarons, though I'm sure if I had read The Incal, it might have helped a lot). There's a lot going on and these first chapters make it a bit hard to cling to the world when it seems so much is being introduced one right after the other. But I am looking forward to reading more and getting more invested in this crazy-ass world.

I also just started Alan Moore's The Bojeffries Saga. It's kind of refreshing to see more just do straight-up his version of the Addam's Family. It definitely has a Mad Magazine sensibility to it that I enjoy.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:49 AM
Can't peeve the Sheev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
The most surprising thing I’ve seen so far in Judge Dredd is perhaps the story that introduces the concept of Future-Shock, a condition where people who stop to think about the state of the world they live in immediately experience a deep psychological breakdown.

Thats not the surprising part; it’s perhaps the most Judge Dreddy thing in the world.

No, what comes as a surprise is that one citizen undergoing Future Shock grabs a hatchet and murders twenty people, and Dredd admonishes another Judge for wanting to arrest him; saying that the man needs medical help not punishment.

Bear in mind that Dredd usually explodes people for far less than that, and once threatened to arrest his television set for airing an illegal pirate broadcast.

To be fair, it was The Most Illegal Gameshow In the World, and he let his TV off with a warning for helping him track down the studio.

I love this crazy-ass comic book.
I've noticed that early Dredd can actually be quite lenient from time to time. The weird thing is that when I kept reading, he didn't gradually change, there was just one particular issue where he suddenly becomes a jerk (arresting a guy who tries to commit suicide for littering, and then fining a bystander when she takes him to task for it), and continues being so from there on out. Especially weird is that someone else then says "Oh, he's always been like that". So I guess they suddenly retconned him into being a jerk.

This all happened while he was working on the moon colony. I guess working on the moon changes a man.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:55 PM
poisonous thread snake

Anyone read Cosplayers by Dash Shaw? I really enjoyed it, though frankly I found it to be quaint compared to something like Bottomless Belly Button.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:17 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredde View Post
I've noticed that early Dredd can actually be quite lenient from time to time. The weird thing is that when I kept reading, he didn't gradually change, there was just one particular issue where he suddenly becomes a jerk (arresting a guy who tries to commit suicide for littering, and then fining a bystander when she takes him to task for it), and continues being so from there on out. Especially weird is that someone else then says "Oh, he's always been like that". So I guess they suddenly retconned him into being a jerk.

This all happened while he was working on the moon colony. I guess working on the moon changes a man.
Just read another story where it's revealed that parents warn their children that Judge Dredd will come for them if they don't behave and go to bed or eat their vegetables or what have you. The children accept it without question.

Dredd immediately kicks down the door of one such child and also rips his entire head off in front of his mother. It's okay, it was a robot duplicate-boy.

It's not so much that Dredd was ever a good guy so much as other Judges became Worse Guys
Old 10-19-2017, 04:48 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
It's not so much that Dredd was ever a good guy so much as other Judges became Worse Guys
Yeah, Dredd isn't much of a hero. He's a look at the real application of the "The Shadow/Batman" idea- a tireless ideal-become-man in service of the law above all. Y'know... a fascist supercop, more-or-less literally.

Those stories were being written from a sardonic, super-British Thatcherite perspective though, that I think can come off as quite cruel and alien to most U.S.-hero readers.

I think Dredd and most of the other stories in 2000 AD would still probably come off as structurally bizarre and foreign to most Americans, much the way Jump manga did to the uninitiated in the 90s and so on.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:37 PM
This Guy

I'm not sure that anyone other than me has been reading Keith Giffen's work at DC since New 52, (I don't mean here, I mean period) but I finally got caught up on the last half year's worth of Rebirth Blue Beetle and this is a comic for nobody.

I don't think its bad, it just seems perfectly designed to squander the appeal that they want Jaime Reyes to have by giving him back to Giffen and Dematteis. Giffen continues to do the same work he's been doing, with or without DeMatteis, on books like Justice League 3000 and 3001, OMAC, Infinity Man & The Forever People, Sugar & Spike and Threshold. It is not poppy fun, young skewing superheroics, something like you'd get from recent Batgirl stories or Ms Marvel or hell even Spider-Man, but instead dense and convoluted stuff with banter obviously written by a 60 year old man trying to sound like a teenager. But on its own terms, it mostly works.

I mentioned all those series that Giffen wrote or co-wrote because he weaves nearly all of them in. The most recent storyline not only featured Jaime and Ted Kord working together to defeat an evil wizard that was not Mordru, but also Giffen's new Sugar & Spike,* the New 52 OMAC, the future Flash and Batgirl from JL3001, and Dr. Fate thrown on top just for the hell of it. I can't imagine the story making sense if you haven't read all those books, books that I am fairly certain no one other than me has read. As another chapter in a continuing story it is just fine, as a single comic story it is downright impenetrable.

*Incidentally, that series from the Legends of Tomorrow anthology book is his best work since his last Booster Gold run
Old 11-07-2017, 08:04 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Bendis jumped ship to DC all of a sudden. Now DC fans can rejoice at having boneheaded crossovers that ignore the involved characters' arcs for no good reason...wait.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:17 AM
It's all good, man

I think that's less his fault than Marvel's editorial approach.

Surprising news. He's still got four ongoing Marvel books he needs to wrap up his run on quickly.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:25 AM
This Guy

Is this still a get for DC? I know five or six years ago this would have been a huge deal, but that is about how long it's been since I've read or payed attention to a Bendis comic.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:32 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Is this still a get for DC? I know five or six years ago this would have been a huge deal, but that is about how long it's been since I've read or payed attention to a Bendis comic.
His current run on Spider-man is still great, but everything else is kind of a miss over at Marvel.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:42 AM
ah’m margaret wartahm

I loved Alias and I’m currently reading Jessica Jones b/c it’s an “adult” (as opposed to other Marvel Comic Books) title and won’t show up on Marvel Unlimited. It’s okay, but one less comic book to purchase? Also okay!

What else is he writing? Spider-Man, apparently? (his USM is my primary exposure to comic Spider-Man)? The Defenders?

He gave the world gay Iceman, which I’m all for. Some say that was handled “badly” or that Iceman “sucks.” Disagree, but also, it takes “all sorts.”

I hope his work for DC is good and well-recieved, as I do with all work I don’t think is produced by monsters.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:48 AM
It's all good, man

He's currently writing the Miles Morales Spider-Man, Jessica Jones, Defenders, and Iron Man.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:46 PM

Finished Vol. 1 of House of Mystery (the Showcase edition). Not as good as the EC Comics stuff, but shit, Alex Toth art is so great.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:59 AM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Finished Vol. 1 of House of Mystery (the Showcase edition). Not as good as the EC Comics stuff, but shit, Alex Toth art is so great.
Hell yeah it is. Toth's ink work is so sensuous and fine. It's a shame he never drew anything, y'know, good. Good by modern, adult standards. Bravo for Adventure is pretty lackluster in spite of the visual dazzle and outright focus on Toth's various period fetishes. His pages for Torpedo look great but his child-like view of morality shot that in the foot. His various horror anthology comics are probably his best-aged works.

If anyone was waiting to grab the NYRB edition of Blutch's Peplum, Amazon has some used copies for $1.50 + shipping right now. I just ordered one.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
Anyone read Cosplayers by Dash Shaw? I really enjoyed it, though frankly I found it to be quaint compared to something like Bottomless Belly Button.
I read it! I liked it. Even if the the subject matter was close to home, the atmosphere of the book is kinda surreal, which i liked - weird world we live in and all of that. I think i prefer it to Bottomless Belly Button, even if the latter is more creative as a comic. But this type of story has been done better, with more nuance, elsewhere.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
Hell yeah it is. Toth's ink work is so sensuous and fine. It's a shame he never drew anything, y'know, good. Good by modern, adult standards. Bravo for Adventure is pretty lackluster in spite of the visual dazzle and outright focus on Toth's various period fetishes. His pages for Torpedo look great but his child-like view of morality shot that in the foot. His various horror anthology comics are probably his best-aged works.
It also looks equally good in black and white and in colour. As soon as I read one of the stories, I looked up how it looked in colour, since often a lot of the old colour doesn't look that great. But it looks pretty damned good.

While it certainly reminds me of artists like Bruce Timm and Darwyn Cooke who were directly inspired by him, I'm also seeing that Marc Hempel might have also been heavily inspired by his style. If not, there are some definite similarities.

Also, I wish that DC writers would remember that Cain, as he originally appeared... was kind of a swingin' 60's guy. While there's a bit of that in the slang he'd throw around, it was also in his haircut, while was a bit shaggier than the specifically pointier versions you see even in this relatively early story. Like, maybe after murdering Abel at the end of the day, they could split some weed. Take the edge off the murders, ya know.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:05 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
It also looks equally good in black and white and in colour. As soon as I read one of the stories, I looked up how it looked in colour, since often a lot of the old colour doesn't look that great. But it looks pretty damned good.

While it certainly reminds me of artists like Bruce Timm and Darwyn Cooke who were directly inspired by him, I'm also seeing that Marc Hempel might have also been heavily inspired by his style. If not, there are some definite similarities.

Also, I wish that DC writers would remember that Cain, as he originally appeared... was kind of a swingin' 60's guy. While there's a bit of that in the slang he'd throw around, it was also in his haircut, while was a bit shaggier than the specifically pointier versions you see even in this relatively early story. Like, maybe after murdering Abel at the end of the day, they could split some weed. Take the edge off the murders, ya know.
Look at how clean that bottom panel reads with all that linework going on (plus the dutch angle framing overtop!). Brilliant.

Isn't "Cain but kinda hip" kinda what Hellblazer was? Reading your idea about Cain and Abel smoking weed kinda makes me astonished that nobody has used the pair to do a groovy DC version of Dr. Strange where the pair are old spiritual-hippie types. I'd read it if someone like Allred drew it.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:31 PM
poisonous thread snake

Hey guys...

It's friday... so I'm, y'know, just putting it out there...but don't spoil it for yourself if you don't wanna know...

I like comics
Old 11-19-2017, 04:47 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

This is more of a general comics question, but it seemed like the best place to ask:

How is Jack Kirby's Fourth World?

Is it self-contained enough to make sense if you're not that familiar with DC?
Old 11-19-2017, 05:12 PM
Better be the real thing.

From what little I've read, there's not much you need to know going in, except for some very basic stuff about Superman and Jimmy Olson.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:22 PM
This Guy

The Fourth World by Kirby is largely self-contained. After the initial run was over it became more integrated with the larger DC Universe, but early on I can only remember some run-ins with Superman.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:29 PM
poisonous thread snake

I've only read New Gods and thought it was incredible (though it's obviously hamstrung at the end). How do the other 3 series' stack up?
Old 11-19-2017, 05:42 PM
This Guy

Mister Miracle is amazing. Forever People is fine.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:31 PM
Love is OGR

I'm not very familiar with DC and I read the entirety of the Fourth World on its own. Loved basically all of it, and never felt like I needed it to be contextualized externally by anything else.
Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
Mister Miracle is amazing. Forever People is fine.
I kind of love it all though, though to be fair, I only read the first omnibus and never continued.

The Forever People is hampered by it's leads, who are dull, but has some great ideas. Really, from what I read the entire series seems to be Jack Kirby's love letter to the next generation. I feel like there was a bit of that at DC at the time, with Joe Simon's lovable misfires Brother Power and Prez. I've never read them but based on what I read it was pro-hippy without GETTING what hippies were (someone who has read them can correct me on that). But I feel that the recurring theme through all four Fourth World books is pro-youth.

The villains are delightfully silly but they also represent the world's evils. I guess all villains are supposed to but specifically they feel like evils spawned from the cultural mindscape. Mantis is humanity's hunger to consume its resources. Glorious Godfrey is lies and bullshit. It's been so long, so I'd have to re-read the stuff to remember the deals of some of the other villains.

As for the heroes, they are all either young or represent a better generation. Orion is trying to overcome his evil dad's... well, evil. Mr. Miracle is taking the mantle of a good man and continuing his goodness and adding his own. Jimmy Olsen, The Forever People and the Newsboy Legion are a gang of kids fighting evil. It's all pretty great.

Shit, even if it craps out with the ending, I really need to finish reading the Fourth World some day.

As for me, I'm reading the original Legion of Super-Heroes stories. Not so good. Though I have DEEP love for the Legion of Substitute Heroes. But it's bizarre that so many plots involve Legion members lying to each other, abusing each other (usually as part of the lie) and deceiving each other to save the day. It's, like, every issue.
Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM
This Guy

I don't disagree with anything you said, I just think Mister Miracle is the best part of the Fourth World.

Speaking of the Fourth World, the current issues of Superman have him and his family stranded on Apocalypse, along with Luthor. In the space of about 5 pages Lois goes from "captured by the Female Furies" to "recruited into the Female Furies." It is pretty great.

Tags
comics , demon bush , detective comics , detective comics comics , manga , marvel , paid comic book day