The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 12-12-2017, 01:17 PM
It's all good, man

It's definitely a lot. I think I like this trilogy more than ICE's other books, because it's really cool to see all these legendary figures from the empire as scrappy upstarts.
Old 12-12-2017, 03:37 PM
The metal babble flees!

These last few posts actually tie in to a conversation I had yesterday with an online buddy on another forum. They have only read the first two main Malazan books and weren't able to answer for sure, so I'll ask y'all: where does one start with this immense setting? Something breezier and jauntier than the pile of bricks that is the main series would be lovely. I tried Forge of Darkness and got nowhere.Are any of the Esslemonts self-contained?
Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM
It's all good, man

Esslemont's original series ties into and supports the main series. I wouldn't read it without also tackling Erikson's books. However, his current Path to Ascendancy series is a prequel exploring the empire's formation, and while I suppose it might spoil some things, I would also say it fits the "breezier and jauntier" description. It might be the new best jumping on point. The main series is great, but it took me about three books to really get a grip on what the hell was going on.

EDIT: The books were definitely written with fans in mind, they're loaded with references. I still think they're probably easier to get into.

Last edited by Adrenaline; Yesterday at 07:07 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM

I've been escaping our dystopian reality into some dystopian fiction in the form of 1984. I keep reflecting on aspects of the Oceania society that are like, "Oh, this is just like now only without the pretense." I'm into it, though it's surprising how little has happened halfway in. World building, ya know?

The book's been on my shelf for years. I can't remember if it was a blown off reading assignment from college or something I picked up on a lark and put down for lack of shiny things.
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
EDIT: The books were definitely written with fans in mind, they're loaded with references. I still think they're probably easier to get into.
Thanks, Adrenaline! I may end up just going with publishing order, but we'll see.
Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
These last few posts actually tie in to a conversation I had yesterday with an online buddy on another forum. They have only read the first two main Malazan books and weren't able to answer for sure, so I'll ask y'all: where does one start with this immense setting? Something breezier and jauntier than the pile of bricks that is the main series would be lovely. I tried Forge of Darkness and got nowhere.Are any of the Esslemonts self-contained?
FWIW, I have a lot of friends who bounced right off of Gardens of the Moon. It's unfortunately one of the weaker books in the series. It was shopped around and changed a lot over the years when they were trying to get it published, including a tv pitch (or maybe it was a movie?) at one point, and kind of a collaborative work (one of the many changes was taking ICE's name off the cover and making it more of a solo joint, which apparently appealed more to publishers), which results in a bit of a mess, and it shows. Deadhouse Gates is a direct sequel, but a much better, tighter story, with a reasonably self-contained main plot, and arguably the best book in the series.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM
It's all good, man

I'd like to read the whole series again, but only when I have the time. So like, when I retire.

Tags
books , calorie mate reads this , fear of new threads , octo does not do research , reading time , take a look its in a book