The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 09-25-2008, 01:27 AM
forbidden noise

Default I FEEL ASLEEP: Talking about sleeping and dreaming

Well that one thread has started to derail, though it's not like it wasn't kind of already. I think the topic of sleeping is really interesting though! I also like reading about dreams, because I basically never remember mine.

Right now I live on a horrible sleep schedule, where I sleep whenever I want and wake up as my obligations demand. This breaks down to:
Getting up at 6 on M/W/F so I can catch a bus to school. I usually nap on the way there, though I usually feel guilty when I wake up and see I'm one of the few people who gets their own twofer.
Breakfast time on Saturday and Sunday. Usually around 9 or 10 my dad is cooking something.
Sometime before 11 on Tuesday and Thursday. I don't have to do anything on those days, but my mom really hates it if I just don't get up.

As for dreams, basically the only one I've ever remembered much was a nightmare where we drove hundreds and hundreds of miles, only to stop in a strange town. It was named "Wheat Ridge" which is the name of the city about five minutes south of where I live, but it freaked the hell out of me as a six-year-old because it was completely strange and unfamiliar.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:04 AM
Renegade Game Councelor

I'm a horrible sleeper.

I am a total night owl: I love staying awake and always have at least a little trouble falling asleep, no matter how tired I am. Naturally, I also like to sleep as much as possible when I'm able to... which is rarely. During my military days, I simply could not fall asleep before midnight (usually not until 1 am) and I had to wake up at six, so I slept a ton during the weekends.

Now that I'm in school, I get about 6 hours of sleep on M/W/F when I have an 8:45 am class, and usually about 7-8 hours on other days. I feel a hell of a lot better as a result, but I've noticed that if something comes up and I get less sleep than this, I get really cranky. I guess my body has adjusted to getting more sleep on a regular basis, or maybe I was just in a really bad mood for six years (that actually may be the case...).

I don't like taking naps... I always end up sleeping through my alarm and I tend to wake up around the time I'm supposed to go to sleep, which means that I'll be wide awake for several hours and end up falling asleep about an hour or two before I have to actually wake up.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:57 AM
I am being eaten?

Hey, cool thread. I recently found out I have a mild case of narcolepsy. Probably have had it for six years or so by now.

With that in mind, I've had all sorts of sleep schedules, both good and horrible, but it never meant a lot because I would always be sleepy. Its weird knowing you can fall asleep fairly normally and still feel like shit during the day.

In any case, my current routine is head to bed around 10:30 and wake up around 8:00, and I have some medicine to help me feel better during the day. I used to get up at 6:00, but that wasn't exactly making it easier during the day. I hope to get back to earlier rise times so I'm not at work so damn late.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Banned

I used to be a big night owl, but I moved to day shift last year, which forces me to get up at 6am because I have a 45-50 minute commute one way. I don't get to sleep in on my days off because we have a toddler who gets up by 6:30am at the latest. Urgh.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Hawkguy

I had a dream that Garnett Lee and I were hunting and killing demons. It was sorta bizarre.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:53 AM

My recent sleep schedule hit the crapper when I had to cram big time... only I found out that it was all unnecessary. Now I can sleep normally again. I hate that.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Fun Club Agent

I recently had a dream I was being hunted by zombies in an underwater city and I wandered into the pilot's hold and had to solve a puzzle in the computer to seal the hatch.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by taidan View Post
With that in mind, I've had all sorts of sleep schedules, both good and horrible, but it never meant a lot because I would always be sleepy. Its weird knowing you can fall asleep fairly normally and still feel like shit during the day.
Do you snore? I had the same problem until I had a sleep study done and they told me that I quit breathing several times a night which caused me to wake up just enough to get out of REM sleep.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:25 AM
twinkling photon

never write AP History notes at 2 in the morning

nothing jacks your grade up more than noting Czar Peter I's role in "russian silence dogg"
Old 09-25-2008, 09:26 AM
100% All Original

At this point I consider 6 hours to be "enough" sleep. This is probably wrong, but whatever. My schedule this semester is actually pretty lenient - I have to get up by 9:00 MWF, by 6:00 TR, and I'm completely free on the weekends. I HAVE NO ONE TO BLAME BUT MYSELF.

Also I'm always jealous of exciting dream stories, because I can never remember my dreams.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Starts with your heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinforcements View Post
Also I'm always jealous of exciting dream stories, because I can never remember my dreams.
Exciting dream stories are 80% flimflam, 20% desperate need to impress others. Except mine; mine are pure truth and entertainment.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:54 AM
I am being eaten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
Do you snore? I had the same problem until I had a sleep study done and they told me that I quit breathing several times a night which caused me to wake up just enough to get out of REM sleep.
Naw, my sleep study indicated no breathing problems, but that I was falling into deep sleep too quickly.

Nadia, if we combine our energy we'll have enough for one wakeful person.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:52 AM
You want a toe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
I recently had a sleep study done and had the same diagnosis, sleep apnea. Do you use a CPAP machine now? I have used mine for a couple of months now and I'm not real sure that I feel any different after sleeping than I did before. I do know that it has helped my nose breathing a ton, day and night.

I can never remember my dreams. I do have one that I remember, though. I dreamed that I was awake and laying in bed. There was a silver Mylar rabbit balloon floating over me. I remember waking up and not seeing the balloon. It really freaked me out for whatever reason. It was just so real and to realize it was a dream was creepy and bizarre.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalladeath View Post
I recently had a sleep study done and had the same diagnosis, sleep apnea. Do you use a CPAP machine now? I have used mine for a couple of months now and I'm not real sure that I feel any different after sleeping than I did before. I do know that it has helped my nose breathing a ton, day and night.
Yeah, I've got one. It didn't seem to work at first but it wasn't calibrated right or something. I feel a lot more rested now but it is hard to say because I really don't sleep much.
Old 09-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Terrible confusion

Awesome topic.

My sleep patterns got really messed up last year, to a point where I was going to sleep at 3 in the morning. I would basically listen to epic podcasts in my bed. Things are better this year, but I still couldn't fall asleep before 12 if I wanted to.

As for dreams, I've always found them fascinating as well. I've had some neat ones, but what I want to ask is about dying in your dreams. Whenever I have a dream where I am falling, for example, I will wake up a split second before hitting the ground. In my first year Psych course, there were some oddball theories that came up about how the "dream" world is actually the real world, and the lives we live are actually dreams. This theory has plausibility for a couple of reasons: firstly, you phase into this "dream" world when you are in danger (ie. about to die). Secondly, you may enter it in periods of non-danger for the same reason that we concieve our "sleep" for-- merely to recharge.

Another thing that I heard is that the people you see in your dreams are all people you have seen in real life. Your mind isn't capable of creating a face on its own. Neat stuff, eh?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:12 PM
worse than last time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergasa View Post
As for dreams, I've always found them fascinating as well. I've had some neat ones, but what I want to ask is about dying in your dreams.
For whatever reason, my dreams abhor violence. If I pick up a gun, I just point it at people and make bang-bang noises. If I get into a fight, we're in slow motion such that we can't land sufficient hits to injure each other.

...Which makes it all the more shocking when a dream goes nightmarish, and I look down to find myself covered in wounds and blood.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:50 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
I've had some neat ones, but what I want to ask is about dying in your dreams. Whenever I have a dream where I am falling, for example, I will wake up a split second before hitting the ground. In my first year Psych course, there were some oddball theories that came up about how the "dream" world is actually the real world, and the lives we live are actually dreams. This theory has plausibility for a couple of reasons: firstly, you phase into this "dream" world when you are in danger (ie. about to die). Secondly, you may enter it in periods of non-danger for the same reason that we concieve our "sleep" for-- merely to recharge.
I've died in dreams, or at least, kind of. One time, I got shot to death, although I don't remember if I died (what I do remember is lying on the ground, bleeding out, staring into the face of my dead friend next to me) or woke up right before/just as I finally perished.

Another time, as I mentioned above, I was thrown out of a tower, but I never saw myself hit the ground or die (although I didn't appear in that dream and the understanding was that I had indeed been killed).

I think there was one other time when I got shot, but as it was in the feet and legs I don't think it was fatal.

Also, that "dream world" thing is total bollocks. For one, it's far too inconsistent on a day-to-day basis or even within any given dream, compared with a very stable consistency in our waking world, and far too malleable overall to have any grounding in reality beyond neurons firing subconsciously while we sleep.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Terrible confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Also, that "dream world" thing is total bollocks. For one, it's far too inconsistent on a day-to-day basis or even within any given dream, compared with a very stable consistency in our waking world, and far too malleable overall to have any grounding in reality beyond neurons firing subconsciously while we sleep.
Not that I am a proponent of the theory, but couldn't it be possible that while the world we see in dreams seems less stable/coherent, that that could just be how real life is? You are imposing our earthly knowledge on this, and as such what seems disjointed to us by our "real world" standards, could simply be the norm, which we have no experience with. Maybe in that "real" world, we are beings who can assume any form, and zip around the galaxy at will?
Old 09-27-2008, 11:38 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Not that I am a proponent of the theory, but couldn't it be possible that while the world we see in dreams seems less stable/coherent, that that could just be how real life is? You are imposing our earthly knowledge on this, and as such what seems disjointed to us by our "real world" standards, could simply be the norm, which we have no experience with. Maybe in that "real" world, we are beings who can assume any form, and zip around the galaxy at will?
Possible, maybe (although I doubt it), but not nearly probable enough to warrant serious discussion.

Which makes more sense:

We live and are aware in a stable, consistent world where things behave the laws of physics and when we go to sleep, neurons fire off and create surreal, costantly-shifting images and storylines and impossible places cobbled together from all sorts of different random thoughts

or

We live in a magical world where anything can happen, but when we sleep (or apparently are in danger) we flit off to a boring, predictable world where everyone experiences more or less the same things and nothing changes inexplicably or happens that violates every sort of science

Yeah, no.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:52 PM
who's she

Wikipedia link posted in hopes of ending thread drift
Old 12-22-2008, 05:07 PM
We just don't know.

I can't remember much of the arc of my dream, mostly scenes here and there, but it involved I think it was a theater group, or community service, or literary club, or something, an extracurricular group at school (although school had little or nothing to do with the dream). Ringworm was there, as one of the club leaders. Hie told us his real name was Hennessey Stone.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Pikachu Pirate

Last night I had a dream that I was playing a strategy game that used ASCII graphics and involved a mish-mash of modern human armies and fantasy creatures (more of a Those Who Hunt Elves thing than Warhammer 40K). I was overjoyed when I figured out that in certain scenarios a single incendiary grenade could start a large enough fire to totally wipe out one of the Elf Menace's forest outposts. Anyone want to make this game with me?

The night before that I had a very awkward dream. I had a girlfriend and had taken her home to meet my parents. We were sitting in the living room chatting with my mom when my dad came home from work. Mom goes to introduce my girlfriend to him when it turns out she never quite caught her name. They turn to me despite my attempts to stay out of the conversation and I'm forced to admit that in the months we've been going out, I've never learned my girlfriend's name. The girl chokes out, "Well, it sounds like" something I can't catch, maybe Dierdre? and runs out the door, crying.

I woke up from that dream and my very first thought was, "Oh shit, I haven't even met this girl yet and already I'm in the doghouse with her."
Old 01-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Symphony of the Nightbug

I dreamt that George W. Bush and Dick Cheney were dressed as cowboys and riding around on a stagecoach equipped with a flux capacitor, loudly and brazenly assassinating historical figures such as King Henry VIII and General Ulysses S. Grant. The Joker was chasing them through time on his stagecoach, and he was going to kill them for stealing his idea.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Starts with your heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfroog View Post
I dreamt that George W. Bush and Dick Cheney were dressed as cowboys and riding around on a stagecoach equipped with a flux capacitor, loudly and brazenly assassinating historical figures such as King Henry VIII and General Ulysses S. Grant. The Joker was chasing them through time on his stagecoach, and he was going to kill them for stealing his idea.
I genuinely have no idea who would win that fight.

I was up a little over 24 hours, went to bed around nine, then bolted awake around four in the morning.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:29 PM
borgn

Can you guys post more traumatic nightmares here? I remember a thread that asked what your worst nightmare was and I got a perverse thrill being scared by other people's bad dreams.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:44 PM
23 ski-dook

I dreamt I was late to school.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:02 AM
Shall we praise the sun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
They turn to me despite my attempts to stay out of the conversation and I'm forced to admit that in the months we've been going out, I've never learned my girlfriend's name. The girl chokes out, "Well, it sounds like" something I can't catch, maybe Dierdre? and runs out the door, crying.
Was it Mulva?

I had a dream a couple of nights ago where I was making out with a cute girl. But before it could proceed further in that direction, I started getting annoyed with her. She was always following me around and I just wanted some peace and quiet. I told her some lie to get her off my back, but then I felt extremely guilty about it, because she was really a well-meaning, naïve girl.

Then I was in a shopping mall that was being raided by Melnibonéans with rayguns.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:32 PM
forbidden noise

Early this morning I dreamed I was in High School again.

That's bad enough on its own, but the subject of the dream was that, apparently my English teacher from middle school had me again senior year (and this is no stretch since my Middle School Social Studies teacher was my Economics teacher as a Senior), and she was telling me sadly that I had to start coming to class or I wouldn't graduate.

When this woke me up, I decided I wasn't going to be able to get back to sleep so I played some Silent Hill 2 before breakfast. I died.

My dreams though are starting to give me the feeling that I feel inadequate about myself on every level. The only ones I remember are the ones where I'm an abject failure, a total loser.

*sigh*
Old 01-20-2009, 09:54 PM
and ermine, too

A guy I slept with years ago was in a bed in my grandmother's kitchen, making soft tacos. Each soft taco contained a different variety of pepper, and he offered me a spot in the kitchen-bed, at which point I woke up.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Evocative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makkuro View Post
Then I was in a shopping mall that was being raided by Melnibonéans with rayguns.
Not screaming black rayguns I hope? (Or needle guns?)

Melnibonéan dreams are long.

Tags
dreams , physiology , psychology , sleep