The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 03-30-2016, 05:43 AM
Dinger!

Pronouns: he/him

I wouldn't have included peanuts on my list, but I just remembered that I forgot to add cashes and for that, I am ashamed.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:54 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

I would probably put cashews on my list if I made it again today, but I've actually only started eating them regularly and enjoying them in the 2 months since I initially submitted my list.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:17 AM
Sudden chomper

I'm not gonna lie to you folks, I think Bugles are pretty gross.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:21 AM
Funko Superfan

Don't worry, there's 45 grosser foods to come
Old 03-30-2016, 07:36 AM
feeling mega-good!

Pronouns: her/she (kisses)

man, if some of the higher entries are fruit (if pears made it then i'm sure apples/some kind of oranges/grapes will), they're not ALL grosser
Old 03-30-2016, 07:37 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I'm not gonna lie to you folks, I think Bugles are pretty gross.
I've never actually eaten one, but I always kind of just assumed that for some reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
man, if some of the higher entries are fruit (if pears made it then i'm sure apples/some kind of oranges/grapes will), they're not ALL grosser
Says someone who has clearly never eaten a Grapple.

(They taste like apples dipped in purple. No, I don't mean grape; I mean purple.)
Old 03-30-2016, 07:44 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Other slogan suggestions.

"Grapple, the only apple promoted by MMA, I assume."

"Look, a bunch of fruit got in a teleporter accident and we plan to unload them on you."

"Our scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could that they didn’t stop to think if they should."

"Better than Broccolemons!"

I assume the very correct assumptions that Bugles are kind of gross is that they are a "getting high" staple. That's usually a bad sign. It's really damages the good name of frozen pizza bagels.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:47 AM

OK, I just had another look at that damn packing. Really absorb this:

"Looks like an apple. tm Tastes like a grape."

I know what you are thinking. You are right, they can't trademark an apple, but they can trademark an apple. if you get my drift. Insidious use of a period, really.

Last edited by Johnny Unusual; 03-30-2016 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:58 AM
Sudden chomper

Ok, a) that is some machine-translated-ass French and b) apparently the proper pronunciation is gray-ple? I've been saying it wrong for like 30 years, which would bother me more if gray-ple didn't sound incredibly unappealing.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:13 AM
Phantastic Oil

Everyone that I know pronounces it like the wrestling move, usually in sentences like "I can't believe how awful Grapples are." or "Why in hell would anybody eat a Grapple?"

Also, I've been doing a lot of talking about fruit, so out of fear of misrepresenting myself as some paragon of healthy snacking, I want to make it clear that asian pears were one of the few exceptions in the sea of filth that was my list. One of my entries literally starts with ""awful"", and lest anyone forget, I posted a picture of premade frozen bacon cheeseburgers in the fantasy books thread.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:35 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Pickles

37 points from 2 votes
Highest score: 21 points (Kirin)

Popular variants: Fried (21 points)

Let me just tell you that Kirin knows what's up. Fried pickles are crazy good, especially dipped in a little bit of ranch. Worth a try even if you don't like regular pickles (you monster).

"Pickles" is shorthand for "pickled cucumbers"; since cucumbers are far and away everyone's favorite food to pickle, they won the name. Pickling is the process of preserving food by letting it stew in brine or vinegar. There are lots of ways to pickle a cucumber, which is how you end up with delicious dills, nasty sweet gherkins, and everything in between.

Technically, "pickle" can refer to anything pickled, but for the purposes of this list, it's safe to assume it refers to the cucumbers, not sauerkraut or kimchi (though those are also tasty).
Old 03-30-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Pickles
Worth a try even if you don't like regular pickles (you monster).
Sorry, but your picture ain't helpin'. Looks like when the gremlins get wet in Gremlins 2 and the bumps are about to blister and pop forth with new vile pickles.

Actually, while I don't like pickles that much, I do use pickle juice in cooking spaghetti sauce (my dad taught it too me) and when I order, I will pick out the pickles. Why not just order without? I don't like the full pickle flavour but the residue can leave behind a nice flavour. I guess, I just don't like pickles in full force.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:59 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

I love pickles. I think I have at least two jars of them in my fridge right now. Some kosher crispy deli ones and then these whiskey brined ones.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:48 AM
Funko Superfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Sorry, but your picture ain't helpin'. Looks like when the gremlins get wet in Gremlins 2 and the bumps are about to blister and pop forth with new vile pickles.
no they look delicious
Old 03-30-2016, 10:05 AM
Phantastic Oil

Maybe Johnny loves eating Gremlins.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:09 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Twix

37 points from 3 votes
Highest score: 18 points (MCBanjoMike)

Twix are candy bars with a crunchy cookie base that is topped with caramel, then covered in chocolate. The standard package comes with two bars, while the "Fun" size contains just one.

You could be forgiven for being unfamiliar with the rest of the Twix family, which includes Peanut Butter Twix (which got a vote, but the threshold for "popular variants" is an arbitrary 10 points), Twix PB (which is... a lot like Peanut Butter Twix), Gingerbread Twix, Cookies-n-Creme Twix, Chocolate Fudge Twix, Choc 'N' Orange Twix, Twix Mint, Ice Cream Twix, Orange Twix, White Chocolate Twix, Dark Chocolate Twix, Coffee Twix, Twix Coconut, and more. Perhaps unsurprisingly, many of these flavors are unavailable in North America.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:12 AM
Phantastic Oil

I like Twix well enough, but I had no idea that there were so many variants, or any at all. I don't think I've ever seen anything but the default. Which is fine, since most of them sound awful to me.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:16 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I like Twix well enough, but I had no idea that there were so many variants, or any at all. I don't think I've ever seen anything but the default. Which is fine, since most of them sound awful to me.
Wait until we get to KitKat (if they made the list)
Old 03-30-2016, 10:17 AM
-ryn

I'm with Johnny. I don't like pickles, but I think pickle flavor is good in combination with other flavors (like chicken salad).

#LeftTwix
Old 03-30-2016, 11:01 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Twix

37 points from 3 votes
Highest score: 18 points (MCBanjoMike)
I saw this and then I went to get a Twix. Thanks, me.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:01 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Skittles

37 points from 3 votes
Highest score: 14 points (RT-55J)

Skittles are small, fruit-flavored candies that closely resemble M&Ms, except that whereas M&Ms are stamped with the letter "m," Skittles display the letter "s." For a fun (read: sadistic) time, get a bowl and fill it with a mixture of Skittles, M&Ms, and Reese's Pieces, and watch as your friends "taste the rainbow."

In their original packaging, Skittles come in grape, lemon, green apple, strawberry, and orange flavors. In the UK and Sweden, the grape flavor is blackcurrant. Green apple is a relatively recent change to the roster; it replaced lime in 2013.

Of the many variants, the longest-lived are Tropical and Wild Berry Skittles. The displaced lime flavor lives on in the Darkside Skittles package (the best variant, for my money), although to me, Darkside lime seems more tart than the classic version. Among the stranger variants are Mint, Chocolate, and Liquorice (which, as the spelling suggests, was a Europe exclusive).
Old 03-30-2016, 11:08 AM
Funko Superfan

Candy is bad for you.

Green apple > Lime.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:24 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Skittles
*starts throwing up at his desk, and doesn't stop*

But no, seriously, they're easily the most disgusting candy I've ever eaten. Just thinking about them is genuinely making me a bit queasy. Something about them absolutely does not agree with me.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:27 AM
Yes, let's feast!

PRO SKITTLES TECH: Pair the grape and lemon flavors. I don't know why, but I'm not a big fan of either flavor in isolation, and they're great together.

MORE PRO SKITTLES TECH: Put them in your Sprite? Or maybe absolutely don't put them in your Sprite. There's some sort of Skittles/Sprite interaction, I'm pretty sure.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:43 AM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
MORE PRO SKITTLES TECH: Put them in your Sprite? Or maybe absolutely don't put them in your Sprite. There's some sort of Skittles/Sprite interaction, I'm pretty sure.
Is this like a Mentos/Diet Coke situation

Obviously the ideal testing arena for this concoction is the surprisingly durable human stomach. Someone chug a bag of Skittles with a Sprite chaser and report what happens to your body if you survive.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:50 AM
Tausendsassa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Candy is bad for you.

Green apple > Lime.
I agree with the first statement but not the second.

Quote:
MORE PRO SKITTLES TECH: Put them in your Sprite?
I actually tried this when I was developing a new mixed drink several years ago. I ended up using circus peanuts because it turns out they go great with vodka.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:24 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Starburst

38 points from 3 votes
Highest score: 22 points (Mogri)

The other half of the "mass-market fruity candy" equation and a personal favorite, Starbursts are fruit chews that come in four-flavor packages. The original Starburst package has lemon, orange, cherry, and strawberry. Somewhere along the line, someone pointed out that cherry and strawberry are vastly better than the citrus flavors, and the FaveReds package was born.

Like Skittles, Starburst also found success with its Tropical variant, and I can't say I'm surprised -- it's a great selection of flavors. Starburst can't lay claim to as many package variants, but it has included a wider variety of flavors in its standard packages over the years, usually as part of a promotion. The brand has also branched out in the form of jelly beans, lollipops, gummis, hard candy, and more. What's the point of that, though? It's the pleasant texture that makes Starburst what they are.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:29 PM
Phantastic Oil

Now Starburst is a candy that I can get behind (which is saying a lot, because I've hated most candy my whole life). I don't buy them very often, but I always enjoy one when offered. I think that I like the flavours on offer in Tropical best.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:35 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Hah, I wasn't expecting fried pickles to get me name in the list, but here we are.
It should also be noted that some fried pickles are vastly superior to others - best to shop around. There's a bar a town over from me that makes the most amazing ones, razor thin sliced and sparingly beer-battered; light and delectable unlike many which, while still delicious, are the kind of state-fair fried that you can only eat a few of before feeling like you've consumed you oil+carb quota for the week.

Also all you people who only like the leftover sauce from pickles probably just need more vinegar in your diet?

Meanwhile, blackcurrant Skittles sound amazing and have to be so much better than the ubiquitous purple "grape" flavor we get over here. Jealous.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:35 PM
Funko Superfan

lemon, orange, cherry, > strawberry

Tags
bertollice , c is for cookie , classy jbear pics , food , jeremiah camembert , munchies , olive oil , popato chisps , salt , snacks , top 50 , top 50 countdown