The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about sports

Old 11-19-2015, 04:42 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I think my new goal is to go to a Mark Hunt after-party. I imagine several roast pigs and Rikishi as DJ.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:14 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

This weekend the first superfight of the post-Mayweather era goes down, as Miguel Cotto (not really a middleweight) and Canelo Alvarez (also not really a middleweight) face off for the WBC middleweight championship of the world and the opportunity to fight blown-up or dieted-to-death bums while ducking Gennady Golovkin.

The betting lines favor Canelo, but probably not as much as they should. Cotto racked up his last credible win four or five years ago. His handlers have since treated him like a vessel of the finest porcelain in anticipation of this one last big payday. Canelo in eight or so.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
This weekend the first superfight of the post-Mayweather era goes down, as Miguel Cotto (not really a middleweight) and Canelo Alvarez (also not really a middleweight) face off for the WBC middleweight championship of the world and the opportunity to fight blown-up or dieted-to-death bums while ducking Gennady Golovkin.
I haven't seen a lot of Canelo, but in what I have seen he's seemed overrated. He struggled against Trout, IIRC. Although didn't Cotto lose to Trout? I don't think I saw that fight.

Also, if this is a superfight...man. Man.

MAN.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:24 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

I'll always remember Cotto as a very good fighter who could never break through to greatness. He feasted on guys like Chop Chop Corley but got blasted out of the ring by an inflated featherweight. I have no doubt he'll end up in the Hall, though.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:00 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man & Rush Limbaugh View Post
I haven't seen a lot of Canelo, but in what I have seen he's seemed overrated. He struggled against Trout, IIRC. Although didn't Cotto lose to Trout? I don't think I saw that fight.

Also, if this is a superfight...man. Man.

MAN.
Cott lost to Trout, yeah. The fight that really exposed Alvarez was against Erislandy Lara, though, where Lara pretty conclusively outboxed him all night and lost a decision anyway.

It's still a pretty big fight given the Mexico vs. PR angle. But yeah. Boxing's star power pickings are getting slimmer with Manny going and PBF gone.

In re AV's remarks, if Cotto weren't Puerto Rican and expertly sheltered by Bob Arum for his whole career, he is nobody. Such is the fight game.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:16 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Dear God, they cobbled together enough of Mayorga's earthly remains for a fight in 2011?
Old 11-20-2015, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
In re AV's remarks, if Cotto weren't Puerto Rican and expertly sheltered by Bob Arum for his whole career, he is nobody. Such is the fight game.
Canelo seems to be playing a similar role for Golden Boy/Mexico. Márquez is a real fighter but I think casual fans don't like counterpunchers.

Still, re: Cotto, he was a better standard bearer for Puerto Rican fans than Trinidad, aka the Boricua Prince Naseem Hamed.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:34 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

so the fight you want to catch from last night was Miura vs. Vargas, tiny Mexican dude and tiny Japanese dude in a battle to the death.

meanwhile Canelo defeats Cotto, but doesn't stop him, meaning I suspect we will see our worst fears realized and they do the rematch instead of Canelo/GGG.

Last edited by The Raider Dr. Jones; 11-22-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:40 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Miura and Vargas put on a hell of a show.

Meanwhile, in the deepest bowels of Laughter_7
Old 11-23-2015, 12:13 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Excuse me, I have a CAW I need to go edit....

WSOF card apparently went hilariously bad / awesome / both this past weekend. As in, tournament ended with guy who was subbed in one minute in the first round winning the entire thing with a desperation knockout.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:16 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

I have sworn off all WSOF events until they reinstate Toquinho.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:42 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I have sworn off all WSOF events until they reinstate Toquinho.
Which isn't going to happen absent a medical / pharmaceutical miracle.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:54 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

HORSEMEAT

NUTRITIONING ME

ALL I EAT

ABSOLUTE PROTEIN
Old 11-23-2015, 08:45 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

The UFC brass made Jones mad enough to actually train. Dana and company owe Daniel Cormier big time, providing he does not die.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:28 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

I feel a certain closeness to Daniel Cormier, professional weepy fat man, and I fear for him.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:31 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:

HORSEMEAT

NUTRITIONING ME

ALL I EAT

ABSOLUTE PROTEIN
Is that Metallica
Old 11-24-2015, 07:22 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
I feel a certain closeness to Daniel Cormier, professional weepy fat man, and I fear for him.
He's like the black guy on Sliders, only he's had his ass handed to him a few more times by Cael Sanderson.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:38 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

As we get closer to The fight proper there will be mention of the usual X factors. Bones' cardio might be worse with the new muscle. He's still never been tested on his back.

The sad truth is that Cormier had one good round against bones the last time out and JBJ coasted through the championship rounds easily. Jackson has mentioned that JBJ has the best cardio he's ever seen in a fighter. Jones toyed with Cormier in the clinch before his pantastic transformation. This is not a fight. This is euthanasia
Old 11-24-2015, 07:45 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Also I've seen it mentioned that we might see JBJ annihilate DC, then piss so hot it's radioactive. We could be gifted with a two-time champion who never beat Jon Jones. Oh my God it's full of stars
Old 11-24-2015, 08:15 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

The one thing I trust WADA to do is nail Jones before the fight if he's blatantly using. Whether UFC takes action on it until after the fight is the more interesting question.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:21 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
The one thing I trust WADA to do is nail Jones before the fight if he's blatantly using. Whether UFC takes action on it until after the fight is the more interesting question.
From what TOM and others have said regarding Jones's new training associates, they seem savvy enough to time his cycles correctly.

that said I like AV's proposed scenario because it would be hilarious.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:58 PM

Akiyama's fighting tomorrow! For those in the thread unfamiliar with Akiyama, he was pretty well known before coming to the UFC, having made his name in K1 and other organizations. He's also a star independent of fighting in South Korea - his family is in a popular reality show called Return of Superman. He also sings and models. However, in the UFC, he's known for two things:

1) His losing streak. After beating Alan Belcher in his first UFC fight by (controversial) decision, he went on to lose his next four fights. This is notable because every time he lost, the UFC would match him up against higher ranked opponents. The running joke was he would eventually lose his way into a title shot.

2) His nickname. You can't talk about Akiyama without bringing up his nickname - Sexyama. The origin of his nickname stems from a bunch of people on the internet coming to a consensus on the high levels of Akiyama's sexual quotient. If the threads are to be believed, Sexyama can compel even the straightest of men to question their sexuality. As some random sherdogger puts it, "Sexyama doesn't need to hit on women. They flock to him, like ants to a very sexy honey." This is a very common refrain in threads involving Akiyama.

On average, he's been fighting about once a year since he's joined the UFC. That's uncommon enough that it's worth watching this card for him alone. Having said that, there are plenty of other Korean fighters that are being showcased in tomorrow's event, as this is the UFC's first event in South Korea. Look forward to seeing it.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:17 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

For the record, I scored the Belcher fight for Akiyama. But I was watching at a bar with no sound (at that point) so I totally understand why someone would score it otherwise.

Also: I don't care how good looking he is, he still married up.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:29 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Wladimir Klitschko appears to have finally decided he was bored of being champion of the world. 52 punches landed in 12 rounds tonight. Anybody who bet the underdog cleaned up, I think Fury was like 7:2 last couple days before the fight.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:50 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

I stand by my first instinct: This fight should have happened 3-4 years ago. Good on Fury tho
Old 11-28-2015, 07:51 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

some new Bob Sapp news as opposed to hoary old Bob Sapp retrospectives: Sapp/Akebono II is on for Nobuhiko Takada's New Year's Eve show.

this would be our quarterly reminder that Enson Inoue really should have let that alley full of yakuza goons gang-rape Takada.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
This fight should have happened 3-4 years ago.
Is this a comment about a particular fight or about boxing in general?
Old 11-29-2015, 09:14 AM

This is something I've been thinking about, with all the boxing talk about ducking fights. Do you all think that if the UFC had fights set up in the same way as boxing, would Ronda have fought Holly Holm? I'm leaning towards no, but she could have been blinded by her stardom and still taken the fight.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:37 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Ah, Akiyama. I like him. He did lose a bunch of fights in the UFC, but I don't remember seeing a boring fight he was in. Him vs. Chris Leben was a great match. Ah, Leben. He also lost a bunch of fights in the UFC, but I don't remember seeing a boring fight he was in.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:50 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Speaking of non-boring fights....

REMATCH SIGNED

(Terrifying thought: What if Sapp wins? They've been looking for an excuse to put him in with Fedor for a decade now....)

Tags
best thread on the forum , concussion discussion , fight sports , guy in your mma