The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 12:43 AM
the :motion: stands

Pronouns: He / Him
Default Random Thread of Musical Randomness

Could someone tell me how I'm completely in the wrong about believing that Fun's We Are Young is nothing more than an annoyingly repetitive completely facile empty earworm. and get off my lawn.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:51 AM

For a moment, I thought you were talking about a cover of this... which, since you bring it up, doesn't really have much in the way of sensible lyrics either. Like, there was probably some sort of metaphor in some early draft, but it's nowhere to be found now.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:17 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

It does get stuck in my head a lot, I'll give it that.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Could someone tell me how I'm completely in the wrong about believing that Fun's We Are Young is nothing more than an annoyingly repetitive completely facile empty earworm. and get off my lawn.
I try to avoid listening to that song whenever possible. But then even a mere reference causes me to keep hearing the song in my head endlessly. It also doesn't help that I associate it with certain events in my life. I don't find the song awful but the lyrical content is stupid as hell.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:33 AM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

I like them better when he was the format.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:58 AM
BIG STUPID SPEED

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I

Cannot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
For a moment, I thought you were talking about a cover of this... which, since you bring it up, doesn't really have much in the way of sensible lyrics either. Like, there was probably some sort of metaphor in some early draft, but it's nowhere to be found now.
How you got that from what Adam said is baffling to me.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Lichotaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
How you got that from what Adam said is baffling to me.
It's the first thing I thought of, too, because "we are young" are the first words from that song.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:47 PM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

Made me think of this song, myself.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Pronouns: He/Him

Fun's first album is so so so so so so so much better than their new album and it makes me very sad.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:34 PM
If anyone asks, I'm Gen

I can't stop listening to this.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 AM
There he is!

So are we using this thread instead of the Listening Time thread now?

The album version of "Pretty In Pink" is so much better than the soundtrack version.

Last edited by ajr82; 02-14-2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:28 PM
This way up

There is a new Pet Shop Boys album coming out! It's called "Electric", a title so suited to their one-word naming conventions that it's almost a surprise they haven't used it yet.
And it comes out in June, so not even a year after their last album. Good times.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:48 PM
actually an eevee

Pronouns: she/her

I'm finally at the point where I can listen to the stuff I listened to in my last years of high school and think 'man, this is lame'
Old 07-10-2013, 10:36 PM
everyone's connected

If there are any other fans of weird concept sci-fi rap out there, you'll be very excited to learn that a followup to Deltron 3030 is in the works.

This is almost too exciting, and the guest list is absolutely insane.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:23 PM
actually an eevee

Pronouns: she/her

Quote:
beautiful/soulful song of any structure, but the instrumentation must be a very out of tune churchy piano.
http://music.metafilter.com/7098/Str...a-Spell-On-You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lusd8vBTYzk
Old 05-03-2014, 09:23 PM
This way up

Default contrabass saxophone

Wikipedia insists this is a real instrument.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Just bear with me

Just watched And the Mouse Police Never Sleeps on YouTube recently. It's a clever tribute to the elegant brutality of the common housecat, but the video illustrates that Ian Anderson is one great big ham. I guess he's going for renaissance performer, but he looks more like a cross between a mental patient and a wild west prospector.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:14 AM
who's she

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaspoon View Post
Wikipedia insists this is a real instrument.
There's a flute of similar proportions, too. Makes you appreciate the bass ukulele.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:46 AM
This way up

This song is lousy.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:55 PM
le petite mort

Oh, god, Röyksopp and Robyn are teaming up. Robyn's fun, but I fucking love Röyksopp.

[e] oops~

Last edited by gahitsu; 05-23-2014 at 01:53 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:23 PM
If anyone asks, I'm Gen

Er, your URL tags are a little malformed there.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Though about putting this in the Live thread, but that seems like more a place for, you know, bands and stuff. So I'm dumping this cut-paste from my other blogs here:

So hey, I went to a concert. Video Games Live Bonus Round at the Raleigh Symphony. I had initially passed on this ongoing promotion when it started up a few years ago, since back then the game list didn’t look too interesting to me and the guy who runs it, Tommy Tallarico, seemed like a cheesy wannabe-rockstar. Well it turns out he is that, but it also turns out he puts on a pretty good show, and this year they pulled out some really fantastic selections. It was a good time, glad I went.

The other thing that got me to go was the soloist for the night was Jillian Aversa. I’ve been appreciating her work since back when she started collaborating on tracks over at OCRemix over a decade ago as pixietricks. So it was great to get to meet her and share some memories.

For anyone interested, I jotted down the evening’s playlist (they like to swap in segments on the fly) and some notes below the cut.

Unless otherwise noted, everything is a medley of popular tunes from the given franchises…

Castlevania - Symphonic rock arrange of the usual, Vampire Killer, Bloody Tears, etc. Nice.
Shadow of the Colossus - !!! The big surprise of the night. Loved it. They played a bunch of the opening and then one of the colossus battles. Sweet.
God of War - Dun care about the franchise, but nice Jillian vocals
Journey - Apparently they’ve done this one before, but it was another great surprise for me. Beautiful.
Space Invaders - I know, what? They had someone from the audience play it live using body-tracking to move the ship (which didn’t actually work very well) while the orchestra played accelerating bloops as the ships descended. Amusing anyway.
Kingdom Hearts - Played the main theme (yay, Yoko Shimomura music!) set to animation from the Disney movies used in the game.
Monkey Island - I have to admit I haven’t played it, but I appreciate both the old-school and the bouncy pirate music.
Bioshock - Haven’t played this either, but the moody period score is nice.
Silent Hill 2 - Apparently sometimes the director/composer tours with them when he’s available, but not tonight.
Resident Evil 4 - Eh, some technically impressive stuff to pull off in live orchestra, but it amounted to generic hectic action soundtrack.
(intermission)
Destiny - This was interesting. You may note this game isn’t out yet. And apparently long-time Bungie composers O’Donnell and Salvatori collaborated with Paul McCartney? Okay then. Cool.
Skyrim - More recent stuff I haven’t played. Choir got a work-out.
Mass Effect - And an even more popular thing I haven’t played. Pity the videos didn’t use any femme-Shep.
Warcraft: Rise of the Lich King - See God of War
Guitar Hero - This was actually kind of epic. The winner of a lobby GH contest came up and played some Foo Fighters song on Extreme difficulty w/ symphonic backing, trying to beat 400k pts for a prize. Got it at the last second, everyone went wild.
Megaman - Yesssss. Medley from the 8-bit games, mostly the famous stuff from 2 and 3, in orchestral rock. Good times.
Liberi Fatale (FFVIII) - Honestly I was relieved this wasn’t One-Winged Angel. FF8 isn’t my favorite, but this is a fun piece and not nearly as over-exposed.
(encores)
Chrono medley - Very yes. I don’t remember exactly, but I think they did the opening and Memories of Green from Trigger, and the opening and a battle theme from Cross. Great stuff.
Still Alive - Jillian came out and sang with the audience singing along. Good fun.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:54 PM
We just don't know.

All the stuff about Fun. earlier in this thread (I like both albums a whole lot fwiw) reminds me to finally ask this:

Is it just me or are their lyrics total gibberish

Just a completely meaningless mish-mash of lines that sound good on their own and have nothing to do with each other

I think the only Fun. song that has any kind of meaning or theme or idea that I can identify is The Gambler, which can actually make me tear up. Everything else is like a word smoothie, a bunch of song lyrics spun together on puree and dumped back out
Old 06-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Media Sellout

Pronouns: He him

Liberated a couple of turntables (only one with a needle) and a handful of ancient records from my parents' garage sale. I with I had taken the entire record collection, but they got a serious buyer before the sale even officially started and I only got away with the few things I set aside beforehand. It's all in pretty medium-to-bad shape, since it's stuff my dad played the hell out of and then stored for 30 years, but it's cool to listen to physical history like that.

I've never been one of those "vinyl is better" kinds of people, but I appreciate the ritual with playing a record and listening to a full album instead of my itunes on shuffle. And, yeah, I'll say it, it does sound warmer to me (when the records play at all).

The really neat thing is I finally can play the Ben Folds Five record I got for backing their crowdfunded album a couple of years ago.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:37 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I have no better place to put this:

Just read in a Grantland article that "Hips Don't Lie" is the best-selling single of the 21st century. I know the music industry is in the crapper... but, seriously? I would've figured Shakira sold more copies of her 2010 World Cup song.

(I'd have put $100 on it being "Hey Yeah", FWIW.)
Old 06-25-2014, 10:50 PM
Bank Brothel Bro

You should probably link to this article. It makes more sense for Hey Ya! to be at the top, even though some younger folk don't remember/know who they are.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:27 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

I'm not a guitarist nor do I play one on TV but this seems pretty impressive
Old 12-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Banned

Default I don't know where else to post this so here

As if the album wasn't already confusing enough
Old 08-26-2015, 07:12 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Been listening to this: https://ap0c.bandcamp.com/album/listencore-vol-i
Old 09-07-2015, 11:15 AM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

I've been messing around with my guitar for the first time in 14 years, when I received it for Christmas as a stupid college freshman. Among the first things I have learned is that learning the standard beginner's set of open chords really demystifies AC/DC.

Tags
music , random