The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Notices

Old 04-06-2017, 09:02 PM
Holy Swine

Then again, maybe not! Freeze is doing work here.

Hi, Eustachio!

And bye, Eustachio!

MF Doom revisits D:4 only to find that Grinder is scarily resistant to cold. Half an MP bar just to slightly scratch him. OK, forget D:4.

Not that there arenít threats further down in the dungeon. Wyvern zombies are fast, strong, and resist cold. Thankfully, this one is sleeping and wonít mind if MF Doom tries another stair.

An ice beast is problematic, for obvious reasons. And it would be suicide to run from it right into that sleeping centaur, so itís going to get next to MF Doom, thereís no avoiding that.

Thankfully, a wand of polymorph turns it into a much more manageable black bear, which goes down without a fuss.

Ozoís is now reliable and defenses are getting pretty solid; itís time to start training Polearms. With a +4 aptitude, theyíll rocket up to mindelay.

Oh no, a ghost! Whatever shall we do?

Freeze his pumpkin head off, thatís what. No rC on him either.

Uh-oh, we woke that centaur. Itís so fast that trying to run away would be deadly, so weíll try to get adjacent to it as soon as possible once it rounds the corner.

OK Ė that hurt but at least it isnít shooting arrows any more.

Yipes, that was close. Centaurs are scary.

Another rC unique. This time weíll be smart for a change and leave it alone.

Whattaya know, itís a special delivery! Thanks for the trident, orc!

NOPE

Also nope. He doesnít rC but a weapon of venom in a ghostís hands can mean lethal levels of poison very quickly.

Thankfully, an escape presents itself in the form of the Temple, with a handy merfolk-friendly pool of water right there!

And so itís hello, Hepliaklqana! New in 0.19, Hepliaklqana follows in Crawlís fine tradition of unpronounceable gods. As you can see, Hepís gimmick is a permanent ally, flavored as an ancestral memory. As you gain power and XLs, the ally will become stronger and gain new abilities, and Hep allows the player to use invocations that help support the ancestor. While the ancestor can be hurt and can even die, thereís never any permanent harm; itíll respawn in a little while, usually long enough not to help during the current fight, but quickly enough that itís easy to wait for it to respawn if thereís no trouble around.

The game lets you choose your ancestorís name and gender (male, female, or neither), so weíre not stuck with boring old Xiuhtonal forever. This is a good place to end the update, so hit me with your best shot on name and gender! Next time, weíll move on to Lair and maybe beyond. Until then, I leave you with status screens.

Skills!

Inventory!

More inventory!

Status!

And the dungeon overview! See you next time!
Old 04-06-2017, 09:49 PM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
Yikel, itís Pikel!
Old 04-06-2017, 09:54 PM
post-mystic lich princess

Oannes the enby. (almost any other fishpeople names I like like Wakasagihime and Rusalka are kind of trivially misspelled, so.)
Old 04-06-2017, 10:10 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
tee hee
Old 04-07-2017, 12:07 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

If you can't name your own character, then you should give the ancestor your character's name. It's the right thing to do!
Old 04-07-2017, 04:52 PM

This is from wikipedia about MF Doom's musical collaborations:
Quote:
He has appeared in several collaborative projects such as Madvillain (with Madlib), Danger Doom (with Danger Mouse), Doomstarks (with Ghostface Killah), JJ Doom (with Jneiro Jarel), and NehruvianDoom (with Bishop Nehru).
emphasis mine.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:38 AM
Phantastic Oil

I have no familiarity with Mr. Doom's musical stylings, but I'll second Bunk's suggestion anyway because it is rad.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:43 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
I have no familiarity with Mr. Doom's musical stylings, but I'll second Bunk's suggestion anyway because it is rad.
Be enlightened!

Old 04-11-2017, 08:37 PM
Holy Swine

I played this session before JBear weighed in, but thankfully the result was the same, thanks to my impromptu tiebreaker in favor of the one who suggested the character. Meet MF Doomís ancestral buddy, Ghostface Killah!

Fighting the ghost upon exiting is somewhat unavoidable. OK, itís mostly avoidable; but Summon Ice Beast manages not to miscast a couple times, and, combined with Ghostface Killah, it enables MF Doom to just sit and wait for the ghost to die.

Some orcs peek around the corner, so MF Doom closes in and finishes off the ghost before things get too hectic. Having allies helps a lot! Not only do they do damage; any attack directed at them is one that isnít directed at you. Theyíre replaceable; youíre not.

Having a dependable ally around opens up some tactical options that more straightforward characters wonít see. Here, MF Doom uses Ghostface Killah as a wall to poke at orcs over. Itís free damage until GK dies, and if he does die, itís no big deal. This enables MF Doom to take out this orc warlord without breaking a sweat.

Once the battleís done, wait around, and heíll come right back!

Hereís the wall strategy again. With GK and polearm pokes, MF Doom takes this ogre down to near-death without taking any damage. With an adder and an orc warrior coming to join the fight, this is a very good thing.

Given that the orc warrior happens to have extremely powerful stones, avoiding all attacks from that ogre made an enormous difference in this encounter. A surprise big hit like this when you think youíre safe is the type of thing that can kill a character even when youíre playing well and cause you to ragequit. MF Doom isnít out of the woods yet; heís got to find an upstair to get away from this orc warrior and its stones, and heís fleeing into the unknown, which is always a dangerous way to go. It probably could have been avoided with better foresight, but itís too late now.

An alarm trap forces MF Doom to read a teleport. He could run through it and look for stairs, but if they werenít really close, heíd have the whole level on him in no time. Better to teleport now than wait until the orc warrior catches back up.

The teleport works, and MF Doom is able to rest up to full health before the same orc warrior finds him again. It still has its nasty stones! MF Doom gets Ozoís up for some added protection, but itís not without a complication; in 0.19, Ozocuboís Armour has the drawback of slowing your movement speed by 0.1 aut. So MF Doom is now slower than this orc warrior, not at parity. Guess this is looking like a fight!

Or not. He has a polearm too, dummy!

So itís another teleport and a hope for some luck to escape. If a couple stones get through GK and hit MF Doom, it could end him.

But the teleport is safe, and MF Doom can rest up. When the orc warrior finds him again, he decides to just find another stair and skip the rest of this level. Itís mostly explored anyway.

On to D:8, wherein MF Doom meets another roadblock. Anything that can two-shot GK Ė at range! Ė isnít to be played with.

The trek back through D:7 to another stair brings happier news. Level 10! Weíre 10/27ths of the way there!

The ďGhostface Killah remembers more of his old skillĒ message signifies that Ghostface Killah has powered up as well. This means that his HP, MR, damage, and AC are all better than they used to be. I believe this happens two out of every three levels.

Whoa, what happened here?

MF Doom came down another stair only to be next to the same ghost. Rather than choosing wisely and heading right back up, he summoned an ice beast and fought it. Everything went OK until the ghost got a battlesphere-boosted Dazzling Spray off and simultaneously crippled and confused MF Doom.

Confusion really limits your options; itís pretty much either heal wounds or curing, to remove the confusion. MF Doom goes with curing.

And the ice beast sneaks in a kill. Sometimes itís better to be lucky than good!

More on the levity side of things: Xom party! If only MF Doom could join inÖ

This is a fairly common vault, with a human, some food, and pet livestock. MF Doom retreats to the corridor behind him and is able to fight them all off fairly easily.

Now back to D:7 for revenge! MF Doom pulls out all the stops this time; the orc warrior is no match for a wall of icy beast.

A great find! With Repel Missiles and Swiftness, the book of Air is a cornerstone for any hybrid character.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:38 PM
Holy Swine

MF Doom is really getting stronger quickly; heís to the point where he can fight off a herd of yaks in a corridor. One of them bumps him up to level 11.

Hmm. On the one hand, wow, MF Doom would really like that weapon. But, on the otherÖitís really going to hurt if he tries to take it point-first.

The answer is ice beasts; itís always ice beasts. One glaive reclaimed!

The vault loot is a staff of wizardry, staff of air, amulet of faith, and a rod of inaccuracy. Inaccuracy, despite its ineffective-sounding name, is one of the better rods to get on a character that isnít focusing on Evocations. It is inaccurate, like the name; youíll probably never hit something with even decent EV with it. But there are plenty of things with terrible EV, and lots of those things are tough-to-handle threats: hydras, dragons, statues, giants of all kinds all the way up to titans, curse skulls/toes, and even hell sentinels all fear a rod of inaccuracy. And the accuracy of the rod doesnít depend on Evo skill, so you can blast away at 0 Evo. The damage isnít bad, and gets to be plenty worth using with a little bit of Evo.

The amulet of faith goes right on, because MF Doom hasnít found any other amulets and would like to ride the piety rocket straight to 6*.

Hey, an armor-upgrade dragon! 2 free AC beats MR at this point in the game any day. Plus we get the all-important rSteam!

Shortly after, MF Doom hits 2* piety, which is a key point for a Hep worshipper.

This allows MF Doom to assign Ghostface Killah to one of three professions. The choice is permanent, and will last for the rest of his Hep-worship.

Knight is the first option, specializing in strong melee and good defense.

Second is Battlemage, with a repertoire of offensive spells and decent melee/defense.

And third is Hexer, generally agreed to be the strongest, with various debilitating spells, eventually an antimagic weapon, and decent melee/defense. Weíll put this choice up to a vote at the end of the update.

MF Doom used Freeze. Itís super-effective! Killer Bees fainted.

But seriously, Freezeís ability to always hit can be very useful against dodgefiends like this ex-swarm of bees. Having it in your toolbox simplifies some encounters tremendously.

Itís not bad against the hell hounds guarding this Lair entrance either, two-shotting this one due to its weakness to cold.

A jewelry shop fills up the olí shopping list nicely, though unfortunely thereís nothing here thatís a must-buy gamechanger.

Troll armour merits consideration; eventually I decide that 1 AC and 1 EV are worth more than Regen.

In 0.19, things like trolls and dragons no longer have a chance to drop hides which can be enchanted into armor; instead they just have a chance to drop the armor directly. Little things like this, compounded with each version, are why Crawl keeps getting better and better even if many of the big changes in each version are controversial.

On D:11, things start getting dangerous again. MF Doom took this ugly thing very seriously and it still came close to being life-threatening. Ice beasts help a lot.

Speaking of which: it might be time to start getting that fail rate down!

There, thatís better. Get Summon Ice Beasts down to 10% miscast or so, get Polearms to mindelay, and then itíll be time to work on defenses again.

Dangit Ė unseen horror in wide-open territory and no SInv anywhere to be found. If there were a corridor anywhere nearby, MF Doom could probably blindly flail it to death, but thereís no chance of that working out in the open like this. Time for a teleport before things get bad.

OK, this may look worse, but at least we can SEE all the threats. Teleport again!

Much better. With that unseen horror roaming around, itís time to abandon this level and try something else. Lair is a good alternative at this point. It has a bunch of XP and Freeze slows many of its biggest threats. MF Doom finds some stairs up without issue.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:38 PM
Holy Swine

Hum-de-dum, stashing and overdue memorization.

More AC and another god ability, oh boy! Lair is paying off already.

Transference is fairly simple; it swaps your ancestor and an enemy. With good Invocations, it even drains the enemy. Itís got two main use cases; most of the time, your ancestor will be near you, and you can use it as a longer-range Lesser Beckoning, to draw nasty things like summoners or tormentors up close to you where they can be beat on. Or, if youíve got a dangerous thing next to you, maneuver so your ancestor is a little bit away from you and use it to create some space. As far as I can tell, itís irresistible, and the costs are small, so go nuts!

Ice Elementalist reasons: easy Lair. Seriously, pretty much every major threat is nerfed by Freeze: komodo dragons, black mambas, spiny frogs, blink frogs, hydrasÖonly death yaks and elephants stick out as dangerous things that donít get slowed.

Soon, L:1 is complete. I donít want to go too far without selecting Ghostface Killahís profession, so Iím going to end the update here. Sorry itís a short one; I should have realized Iíd need another vote pretty soon after the last one.

Here are MF Doomís skills.

Hereís his status.

And hereís the dungeon overview. Let me know what type of ancestor you want: Knight, Battlemage, or Hexer, and weíll see you next time!
Old 04-11-2017, 08:50 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Knight probably isn't a bad idea if you want to have him play portable wall for your polearm.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:07 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Knight sounds boring, so... one of those other two.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:14 PM
Phantastic Oil

I think they both make good points, so I'll abstain.

I'm surprised you didn't wishlist that rElec ring. I mean, it's not good, but it's your only source so far if you happen to come across a need for it.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:01 AM

I've never seen a Battlemage in action, so that gets my vote!
Old 04-12-2017, 07:52 AM
Holy Swine

Quote:
I think they both make good points, so I'll abstain.

I'm surprised you didn't wishlist that rElec ring. I mean, it's not good, but it's your only source so far if you happen to come across a need for it.
Yeah, that would have made some sense. There's always potions of resistance too, though. I'll probably wishlist it next time I play just in case.

The vote so far:

Knight 1
Battlemage 1.5
Hexer 0.5
Old 04-12-2017, 07:55 AM
-ryn

I think the portable wall with polearms is a good idea, but Knight does sound kind of boring, so maybe Hexer? I'm assuming a mage would have lowest tank ability
Old 04-12-2017, 08:39 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Hexer sounds fun, you're already doing battlemage with your actual character and meatheads are boring.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:53 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

I guess I will also throw my vote to Hexer.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:35 AM

When I tried Hep, I went for a battlemage ghost. Hexer is cool with me. Ghostface Killah can spit some serious rhymes.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:37 PM
Chaotic Good

Pronouns: he / him

Hexer.
Old 04-18-2017, 04:45 AM

I'd vote hexer but it'd be redundant
Old 04-18-2017, 06:07 AM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by randakar View Post
I'd vote hexer but it'd be redundant
Witcher.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:34 PM
Holy Swine

As we pick back up with MF Doom and his transparent buddy Ghostface Killah, we suddenly remember: GK was a hexer! Thatís right! He was that way all along!

Right out of the box, that gives GK a draining brand for his attacks and the spells Slow and Confuse. Heís only been a hexer for one turn and already he has access to three great debuffs!

The dungeon provides something of interest on L:2 in the form of a volcano. rF isnít strictly necessary for a volcano, but MF Doom has an rF ring in his back pocket and a bunch of cold attacks; heíll definitely want to check it out.

s
Hexing in action! This early on, low lands on most things without difficulty, and it greatly reduces enemiesí fighting ability, as well as allowing MF Doom to run from them easily if needed.

Confuse similarly lands on most things at this point, and it may be even better than Slow. Confused enemies have mostly-random actions, and even if they do manage to try to attack, they suffer an accuracy penalty, as well as an EV penalty. Like Slow, Confuse makes an enemy trivial to run from.

Of course, you canít rely on GK pulling out Confuse or Slow when you need it most. MF Doom tries to overwhelm this hydra with some ice beasts; heís really not ready to let it hit him yet.

They, along with GKís valiant sacrifice, manage to hold off the hydra long enough to do some damage and let MF Doom get an inaccuracy blast inÖ

Öand another one finishes it off. Being able to take out a hydra this early is a real luxury.

MF Doom finds the volcano and dispatches its guardians without too much trouble, and in we go!

MmmÖred and glowy. Just makes an Ice Elementalist feel right at home, doesnít it?

A few key points of interest here: 1) a two-headed ogre with two nice weapons is a tough foe, and one MF Doom needs to be careful with. An ogre mage assisting it brings this encounter into the potentially life-threatening category. 2) both enemies are asleep, so they can be avoided trivially. But 3) thereís a bardiche here. And, being in a volcano, itís almost certain to have the excellent flaming brand.

I think weíre going to have to take on these ogres.

First, though, weíll check out the rest of the volcano. Thereís another loot pileÖthis time guarded by a denizen of Zot! Normal red draconians may be cannon fodder by the time youíre in Zot, but remember Ė youíre usually in Zot at XL 26 or 27, and MF Doom here is at XL 11. Thereís a little bit of a difference there.

So of course we fight it with reckless abandon. The good news: like most things in Lair, red draconians can be slowed by Freeze. But the damage tally is already high, and this draconian has an ogre backing it up.

GK comes through with the assist, and the draconian goes down!

GK also does in the ogre while MF Doom retreats, and that potentially deadly encounter is over. Letís hope this loot stash is at least nearly as nice as the other one!

Itís not, really, but some rF leather armor, an unIDed potion, and gold isnít bad.

Now for the other encounter. MF Doom is able to summon some help before the enemies can reach him, and this battle starts much more smoothly than the last. Whatever the ogre mageís really dangerous spell is, it hasnít used it yet.

It goes down, and the two-headed ogre follows in its footsteps. Easy peasy.

This nets MF Doom the real prize of the volcano. Heís now set for an endgame weapon, and since heís got that silly +4 Polearms aptitude, it can also be his midgame weapon! Thatís going to take some more training, but itís a definite possibility!

Now back to the real world of the Lair. After that rough volcano, an elephant pack doesnít seem nearly as dangerous. Just wait for help and then lead the elephants on a merry chase.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:34 PM
Holy Swine

Looks like Spiderís Nest is one of our Lair branches this time around.

Oh no, a hydra! What do we do?

Savage murder, thatís what!

As MF Doom goes along, heís been steadily gaining pietyÖand I realize that we havenít seen Hepís second invocation.

So far, weíve got Idealize and Transference. Both success and power of each depend on Invocations skill. MF Doom has had higher priorities than Invocations so far, but soon itíll be well worth his while to power up Hep a bit. We learned about Transference last time; now that MF Doom has reached 5* piety, itíll also drain enemies near its target.

Idealize will heal and buff MF Doom for a short duration, with Invocations increasing the amount of healing and the duration of the buff. The buff increases strength, armour, and spellcasting. Itís a bit boring conceptually, but it is effective.

As Hep doesnít have any 6* abilities, this is all weíll see out of him. His most important gift by far is the mere presence of GK.

MF Doom is starting to feel more and more invincible, but even hubris canít tempt me into this fight. An eight-headed hydra we can probably take, but with two electric eels taking potshots? Thatís a hard pass.

Separating enemies in corridors: now and forever Crawlís strongest tactic. Hydras really have a tough time against MF Doom now, between the flaming weapon, slowing ice beasts, and inaccuracy.

Soon after, a porcupine gets MF Doom to level 13.

This little guy thought he could hide from MF Doom and Ghostface Killah, with some plants blocking the way to his house. Well, he canít!

Wraiths in Lair can only mean one thingÖ

ÖJosephine!

I imagine itís not often she finds herself outnumbered. Well, thereís a first time for everything.

Wraiths:Josephine::Pigs:Kirke

Just canít get enough of these quotes. I wish everything had one.

Unfortunately, Kirke decides itís time for the Porkalator, and away we go as fast as our stumpy little legs can take us. Which is actually pretty fast, as pigs somehow move in 0.7 auts. GK can fend for himself. MF Doom runs away to wait out his porkalation before returning for Round 2.

Round 2 sets up better than Round 1, as MF Doom gets a lot of allies out, but that sphinx is worrying. With Smite and Paralyze, it can end anyoneís day fast, and MF retreats for another try.

Round 3 finally looks pretty good. MF Doom has a bunch of friends and good position behind them.

Indeed, it goes great, and down goes Kirke. This sequence really shows how important it is to be able to recognize a bad situation and reset in Crawl. Either of those first two fights could have ended the game if MF Doom had stuck it out a little too long; but eventually the RNG will fall on your side.

This type of ďnah nah you canít hit meĒ situation is cropping up all over the place in Lair. The ability to do this with ice beasts for a long time is one of the reasons the Ice Elementalist background is so strong.

Whoa, surprise acquirement! With weapon well in hand, I go with wand, as is my wont.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:35 PM
Holy Swine

And am rewarded supremely.

Level 14 comes courtesy of another one-sided hydra fight.

A lucky Book of Party Tricks nets MF Doom Lesser Beckoning (new in 0.19; it irresistibly pulls an enemy adjacent to you, but requires line of sight and has range that heavily depends on spell power), Apportation, and Summon Butterflies. His spell list is rounding out nicely.

Looks like the elephant Lair end (I think called Jungle Book in the code). One of the older Lair ends, its uniqueness hinges on a nifty piece of scripting.

One side of the vault has four elephants, but not much loot. Thereís got to be loot somewhere, right?

A lone staff of air that you have to burn down trees to get hardly counts, either.

This anaconda is the key to the vault. Kill it (icy stuff slows it) andÖ

Öa distant trumpeting signifies that six of the elephant statues have turned into dire elephants, which are not to be trifled with.

Dire elephants hit way harder than the regular variety and have good MR. MF Doom has no chance against one one-on-one; letís see what the whole squad can do.

UhÖnot great.

MF Doom manages to take it out before he gets hurt badly, but it was a close one. Letís hope the wall of friends can hold out longer against the other elephants.

Thereís the loot. Also two elephants at once; not great, but the water will let MF Doom get a good head start to better terrain.

However, he doesnít have time to get his allies up, and the dire elephant shows off the kind of damage spike that makes them really dangerous. MF Doom queues up and executes a teleport. The elephants are just too dangerous right now; weíll have to come back later.

GK is really coming into his own, scattering this pack of yaks on the way back to the stash and letting MF Doom fight them off easily even on poor terrain.

On to D:11; itís always amazing how much of a power boost doing Lair is. Before Lair, this encounter would have been very scary, mainly due to the enemiesí high speed; now, theyíre almost risk-free, with some ice beasts and GK around for support.

Skeletal warriors, though, prove to be a little much for MF Doom, and he runs to a teleport trap for safety.

A second attempt, this time at a lone skeletal warrior, also proves life-threatening, and MF Doom decides to call it a day. Next time, heíll dodge the skeletal warriors, explore the dungeon down to 15, and take a break in the scenic Orcish Mines, not necessarily in that order.

Inventory 1.

Inventory 2.

Skills. Polearms is getting awfully close to glaive mindelay.

Spells.

Status.

Overview.

And GKís status.

See you next time!
Old 04-19-2017, 09:36 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Go kill Grinder and the ghost!
Old 04-19-2017, 11:11 AM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Go kill Grinder and the ghost!
And Menkaure and the zombie! Good idea.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:23 AM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
Menkaure and the zombies! Good band name.
(Grinder and the ghosts also isn't bad.)
Old 04-19-2017, 04:37 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
(Grinder and the ghosts also isn't bad.)
Make sure you don't drop that first e.

Tags
let's play , roguelike , rougelike , smoimo rote