The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-10-2019, 08:43 PM
The metal babble flees!

Pronouns: she/her or they/them

Hitoribocchi set a new record for CGDCT anime with me, its streak ending about two minutes into ep. 5. Oh well, it was a good run.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:30 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Dor anyone not watching Dororo, this is ACTUAL ANIMATION from episode 15.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:47 AM

Carole & Tuesday continues to be a welcome respite. There's also been an undercurrent of Macross Plus themes I've been picking up on (with regards to algorithm engineered music, deconstructing music with neuroscience, and the je ne sais quoi of live performances and genuine enthusiasm/love for music) which both makes sense given the pedigree and is a welcome thing to see. Also, the music in this is REAL GOOD
Old 05-11-2019, 02:09 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Yeah I'm enjoying it a whole lot. Relatively light fare but put together really well.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:38 AM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Dor anyone not watching Dororo, this is ACTUAL ANIMATION from episode 15.

Wow that...wow...

Anyway, I'm sure they'll doll up that scene for the DVD release. That's how anime usually rolls these days.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:31 PM

I should stress, Dororo is not a BAD show. It can be inconsistent but when it is on, from a storytelling perspective, it has some pretty strong episodes. It also has some weak ones. THAT episode wasn't bad from a story perspective but while the show has had some middling animation from time to time, that episode was particularly bad in that regard. That's the worse scene, but it is clear the creators had a budget problem and most of the scenes have the characters far away and sketchy looking in an attempt to hide how poor they are.

While it hasn't been as bad, the animation has remained rather weak in the last two episodes as well, including some particularly stiff looking sharks.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:37 AM
The metal babble flees!

I've seen this "placeholder animation on TV, real animation on BD" phenomenon enough times to make me curious: I know that manga artists will clean up errors in the art and dialogue between the magazine and tankoubon publication. Is this new to anime, or has it been going on for a long time?
Old 05-13-2019, 11:50 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Mostly since DVDs were a thing, though occasional shows were touched up a bit on home release in the past. The real money for anime/manga is in the merch, and having higher quality home releases that you can watch anytime you want is a big draw. That, and DVD/BR prices in Japan are and were extortionate.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:16 PM

It also helps that in the digital age, going back and changing something is far more trivial than it used to be. Ranma's face is a little wonky in this one scene? You have to go find the exact physical cells and background art in some box hidden among thousands of others in the basement, physically redraw and repaint everything by hand, re-photograph and develop the footage, then manually splice the footage into the old masters and essentially remaster the footage one more time. And there just isn't really a lot of motivation to do that in an SD era where people are watching on fuzzy, interpolated, at best 20" TV screens. All for what? There's not much of a home market for these shows in the analog days, leaving just syndication. Plus most anime in the analog days are made for a kid audience who, let's face it, don't care as much about things looking ugly. And pre-DVDs, anime was (and to a large extent still is) a loss leader to promote source material and merchandise which gives a much higher profit margins for its production committees. It isn't until DVDs that selling the show itself could be a profit center in and of itself.

It wasn't until productions were entirely digitalized that editing things becomes easier. Just open whatever frames in photoshop, manually adjust a few vectors, hit export, profit. Plus there's the new financial incentive since collecting DVDs in your tiny Japanese apartment is a more viable thing versus giant VHS tapes.

There's this whole vortex in the early 2000s of productions going digital, to DVDs catching on with the public, to the exploding popularity of late-night anime among an adult(ish) crowd on cable tv, that all just happened at the perfect time to transform the industry and how it does business.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:07 PM
Cool Guy

I watched a random episode of Detective Conan, about Conan and friends happening upon a break-in at mansion. The actual mystery is Encyclopedia Brown caliber fluff, but what got me was when Conan, a child who’s sleep darts and Turbo Nike’s were in the shop or else there wouldn’t have been an episode, confronts the adult who he knows has already killed before, and is caught completely off guard when said murderer tries to kill him to shut him up. How has this boy survived for 900 episodes and 20+ movies?
Old 05-13-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
I watched a random episode of Detective Conan, about Conan and friends happening upon a break-in at mansion. The actual mystery is Encyclopedia Brown caliber fluff, but what got me was when Conan, a child who’s sleep darts and Turbo Nike’s were in the shop or else there wouldn’t have been an episode, confronts the adult who he knows has already killed before, and is caught completely off guard when said murderer tries to kill him to shut him up. How has this boy survived for 900 episodes and 20+ movies?
Sleep darts and turbo Nikes.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:08 PM

I love me some Detective Conan. I can't keep up with the TV show b/c 25 years of nonstop episodes is a little too much. But the annual movies are always good popcorn watching.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:15 PM
The metal babble flees!

It isn't a good idea to dissect mystery series. Like... just how many murders in Japan has the main character investigated? And all of them with a gimmick or twist of some kind?
Old 05-13-2019, 07:02 PM

Also, Cabbot Cove is awash in corpses.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:19 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
It isn't a good idea to dissect mystery series. Like... just how many murders in Japan has the main character investigated? And all of them with a gimmick or twist of some kind?
And then we have the American mystery canon, where a big city detective moves to a small town which is then mercilessly depopulated over the course of a 53-book series alongside an obsessive focus on the two foods that could be deemed “regional cuisine”.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:57 AM
Are You Sure About That?

I spent an unhealthy part of my teenage years reading the siamese cat mysteries.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:58 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Mostly since DVDs were a thing, though occasional shows were touched up a bit on home release in the past. The real money for anime/manga is in the merch, and having higher quality home releases that you can watch anytime you want is a big draw. That, and DVD/BR prices in Japan are and were extortionate.
The OAV market is alive and well!
Old 05-14-2019, 09:11 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Not sure why I keep hate-watching Shield Hero. Every person in that world is a moron.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:44 AM
Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I love me some Detective Conan. I can't keep up with the TV show b/c 25 years of nonstop episodes is a little too much. But the annual movies are always good popcorn watching.
I like mystery shows quite a lot, but Detective Conan has always confused me. It is way too violent to show to kids in most parts of the world, but’s it’s too kid focused to be a hit with adults, either. Except in Japan, where it’s huge.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:45 AM
Are You Sure About That?

I'm surprised you made it past the general concept of "women are trash except for the sweet and utterly subservient to you ones" and edgelord assholery.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:52 AM
World of Darkness Returns

I keep expecting it to flip something on its head but...nope.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
I like mystery shows quite a lot, but Detective Conan has always confused me. It is way too violent to show to kids in most parts of the world, but’s it’s too kid focused to be a hit with adults, either. Except in Japan, where it’s huge.
You just accidentally described the vast majority of popular anime.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:41 AM

When I was living in Japan, I got a pamphlet in the mail where he and his friends told me how to be safe with ovens and heaters, presumably between a decapitation and an asphyxiation.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:18 PM
Apply Bertolli, cast FIRE

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
I'm surprised you made it past the general concept of "women are trash except for the sweet and utterly subservient to you ones" and edgelord assholery.
Given the post ordering here, I was briefly very confused about which version of Detective Conan you'd been watching.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:42 PM
Cool Guy

One last thing about Detective Conan. The whole thing starts with Shinichi getting poisoned by Criminal Organization, but the poison turns him back into a kid instead of killing him. Are there any other fantastical elements to the show, or is that it? There can be some weird crimes to deal with if Venture Bros. technology like that is a factor in the world.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:19 PM

Dude, did you SEE the shoes? Conan has all sorts of super gadgets. Beyond that, there isn't much in the way of that, but the poison is a big part of the show, as another mini-sized adult ends up joining the cast.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:19 PM
King Of Space-Time

Old 05-20-2019, 02:13 AM

Inuyasha is coming to blu-ray! The news is a mixed bag.

On the one hand, the remaster here is really good! Inuyasha was always a gorgeous show, and seeing all the cells in high res makes it even better. Which is surprising, considering it's a show from the early 00s with a lot of early CGI mixed into it, to the degree that I just assumed it would have suffered the same fate of a lot of its contemporaries like Gundam SEED and just gotten a bad, blurry, upres. That is not the case here! It's a proper remaster and looks great! Well, the first season does at least.

The downside is that Sunrise appears to have lost the right to some of the show's iconic songs. The opening lost "Change the World" and got replaced with some random BGM a la Zeta Gundam. But not only did they change the song out, but they recut the OP to time it with the new song, meaning it's impossible to remux the right music into the OP on your own. It's... really frustrating!

Just for reference, a short clip from the BDs (excuse the Portuguese)

Old 05-20-2019, 08:54 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

I never got super into Inu-Yasha, though I read a lot of the early manga when Viz was putting it out - but that does look super nice for a show from that era for sure.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:59 AM
The metal babble flees!

Kimagure Orange Road is now available on CR, so if you're at all curious about what those thread tags are all about, here's your chance to check it out.

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road