The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 04-26-2019, 04:37 PM
Senhor Member

If I had the infinity gems I would simply wish that using the infinity gems didnít harm me, then for more infinity gems, then for infinite wishes, and so on.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:53 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
[*]How did Tony get the stones from Thanos at the end? Maybe the action was too quick. I didn't see precisely how he did it. I assume the Stark gauntlet had nanomachines that ferreted the stones over?
This was actually my favorite thing in the whole movie because it is 1000% a thing that they would do if this was a character from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure fighting Thanos. "Your next line is 'when did he grab the Infinity Stones?'!" would've fit in perfectly at that moment, but the world isn't ready for Joseph Joestar as Iron Man. It's not time yet; it may never be.

ANYWAY. Yeah, so this movie! It was...good? I think good with a question mark is the perfect way to describe it. I wasn't bored, but I wasn't all that into it either. There's a lot of time travel stuff that doesn't add up or make any sense, and there's a lot of character work that doesn't make any sense (the aforementioned undoing of Thor's Ragnarok arc REALLY sticks out, but Gamora being reverted back to Old Gamora is right there next to it), and most of the movie is kinda drawn out. There's the big fight scene at the end, but it has SO MANY people and it moves so quickly that it ends up being a big mess of brown CG on a grey background.

I enjoyed Infinity War a lot because of it's pacing and tone. I also traditionally hate really CG-heavy fights in movies, but I thought they did a really good job in that movie with making the fights visually interesting. This movie just felt kinda overly long and uninteresting in comparison. I'm disappointed a bit, but not really surprised. You knew they were gonna write out a lot of the older characters who'd been around and that's exactly what happened. It's essentially the end of the current MCU, but that feels appropriate (it's been a decade). Their character arcs were basically done so might as well move on to other things.

I dunno. It was alright. I'm curious what their new roadmap is gonna be, since Guardians 3 is back on but it got delayed and there basically can't be a new Avengers movie right now. When 2019 is done, there'll have been 6 movies in 2 years and now next year there's...nothing? Seems kinda odd from their perspective.

Edit: Oh, it's also clear to me that this movie was not aimed at me, either. There was a group of 20 somethings behind me who were going OHHHH and AHHHHH at a bunch of stuff that happened and I was like "why" each time they did. Like, one of them let out a sad/disappointed "oh no..." when they showed Fat Thorô and I was like "really?"

The big moment that really cemented that I am not the target audience was when Cap picked up Thor's hammer and I was mentally like "okay I guess" and the four of them went AHHHHHHHH OH SHITTTT AHHHHHHHHHH super loudly.

Hopefully other people enjoy it more than I did!
Old 04-26-2019, 05:42 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I loved ThorBowski. I wish he would keep that look.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:30 PM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

I loved almost everything, Nat deserved better, but the thing that made me happiest was that Steve finally got his date.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:42 PM
Holy Swine

Somebody probably made this observation already, but is Sam now...

Captain Falcon?
Old 04-26-2019, 09:02 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
I loved almost everything, Nat deserved better
On the one hand, I like that she won the fight in an in-narrative context.

On the other hand . . . MCU Hawkeye has basically none of the appeal of the original character. He's not a reformed criminal with campy boxing glove arrows who plays by his own rules, but he's also not Fraction's HawkGuy.

On the other other hand, I'm sure Jeremy Renner costs a lot less to keep around as a minor character and maybe Scarlett Johannsen wanted out after her solo picture.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:06 PM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
Somebody probably made this observation already, but is Sam now...

Captain Falcon?
American Eagle
Old 04-27-2019, 09:33 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Did you know that Tapatalk users get the first lines of the latest post in a thread automatically displayed unless they are marked as spoilers? Fellow Tapatalk users, I'm marking these lines as spoilers for you!

• As a movie ending the MCU this would have been amazing - emotionally hits the right notes and takes many story lines to its conclusion. Cool. The problem is that the universe is going to continue, so the plot holes are going to drive me nuts.

The biggest one: the five year gap. There was no reason to include one, and even then it would have been easy to wave away if you have the frickin' Infinity Iron Gauntlet. But now it's there and it's going to drive me crazy, particularly in the Spider-Man movies - like, isn't it a great coincidence that all of Peter's classmates and Aunt May got dusted? And that they can continue with their lives in their same apartments, same high school and, hey, a nice trip to Europe?

Also, how did Steve Rogers get to that bench if him traveling to the past caused an alternative timeline? Unless he's the Captain of an alternative universe who traveled to this one and was Peggy Carter's husband all along!

For the sake of my mental health, I'm going to see Endgame as the end of one MCU, and every movie after this one takes place in an alternative timeline! Yes, that's the ticket.

• I liked brainy Hulk, but I feel cheated we missed the reconciliation between those two. Oh, well.

• I agree that the A-Force scene seemed hamfisted, but I'm fine with it because a) knowing that it'll be the direct cause of hours of man-babies getting their misogynistic undies in a twist brings warmth to my cold, cold heart and b) we needed a chaser after that scene with the Fridge Gem. Two sacrifices, both women? *sigh!*

• Captain Marvel being so powerful they had to write her out of most of the movie was expected, but I didn't think she wouldn't pal around with the other surviving Avengers. But now that I know this was filmed before her movie, it makes a lot of sense.

• I'll miss OriginalFlavor!Gamora. I do hope they don't dip back into the will/won't they well in Asgardians of the Galaxy.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:16 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post

The biggest one: the five year gap. There was no reason to include one
Tony's daughter would probably disagree with you.
I am not convinced that the five year gap still exists. I am just going to do my best and try not to think about it. The time travel logic is tied up in knots. Like, they have to put the gems back in the same spot, but Thanos getting dusted doesn't change anything? Or Nebula killing her past self? How do you even put back the soul stone?
Old 04-27-2019, 10:18 AM
Senhor Member

The five year gap is fine imo and now the films are in the future so Peter Parker can be a spider high schooler for another half decade while we catch up. I wouldíve hated it if they actually undid the last five years because thatís actually like killing everyone else on Earth - erasing new memories and lives. Also I love thinking about the logistical nightmare of everybody suddenly coming back from the dead and am curious to see how itís handled in the next Spider-Man film.

Captain Americaís appearance does not make sense but letís just say he popped over from that other timeline which experienced decades in a few seconds because Time Kompression.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:19 AM
Senhor Member

They established that changing the past doesnít actually change the present. These are all alternate realities. (? Question mark) Vaeran has established how the soul stone was returned.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:22 AM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Also, how did Steve Rogers get to that bench if him traveling to the past caused an alternative timeline? Unless he's the Captain of an alternative universe who traveled to this one and was Peggy Carter's husband all along!
I've been giving this some thought, and my theory is that he went back and lived in the alternate timeline with Peggy until she died, then some time later activated his Pym Particles as an old man in order to return to the prime timeline and make his rendezvous with the Avengers to pass on the shield to Sam.

As for the five-year gap, I like it! I think that if they had used time travel magic to entirely negate a catastrophe of this universe-spanning magnitude it would have felt a little cheap. Now we get to explore the lasting repercussions in Far From Home and beyond. Besides, as this movie establishes, you can't go back and alter the past in order to change your present/future -- it would just create another branch in the timeline. Maybe it works differently if you have the Time Stone/Infinity Gauntlet, but I guess we'll never know.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:22 AM
Space Prez

I can't imagine Spider-Man will even address it. It's a Marvel co-production, but still a Sony film.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:34 AM
whatever it takes

I'd be very surprised and disappointed if you're right. I'm not saying it's going to be a central focus of the film, but it's going to at least be referenced. Homecoming was very much a look at life for the ordinary citizens on the ground of the MCU, and I'd expect Far From Home to be similar.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:44 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Nothing could be more true to the source material than if Marvel Studios didn't tell the Sony Spider-Man people about the major status quo shifts from an Event Comic. I will be delighted if Far From Home is after Endgame and doesn't acknowledge the 5 year gap, but I'm not getting my hopes up that it will be that hilariously accurate to how stupid event comics are.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:18 AM
This Guy

The only part of Endgame that I expect Far From Home to deal with is the big death. (vague because of that tapatalk warning upthread.)
Old 04-27-2019, 01:27 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

Just saw it!

I liked it a lot! I felt it was a pretty satisfying end to a decade-plus of movies. Of course there will be a phase 4, but I get the feeling it's going to feel a bit different from the previous 3.

Spider-Man Far From Home is supposedly the epilogue to Phase 3, I wouldn't be surprised if they touch on the aftermath of Endgame, but it probably won't be a huge part.

Misc thoughts:

I really wish it were Hawkeye instead of Nat that had to get Soul Stone'd. I'm just not a fan of either the character, or Renner himself, honestly. But I guess ScarJo was done. Not sure what this means for the Black Widow movie, but I really hope they don't just make it a prequel, though they probably will.

I, too, wish we had actually seen that reconciliation between Banner and Hulk instead of just being told they worked it out somehow. Prof Hulk was neat, but I feel we got cheated out of something much more interesting. It also would have been nice to see Hulk participate in the final battle, but he was injured I guess and things were crowded enough.

I also wish that we had seen the scenes of Steve bringing the stones back, if only for the hilariously awkward encounter with Red Skull.

Did Natalie Portman agree to come back only to shoot a few scenes where she doesn't even interact with anyone? That's kind of a flex.

Dangit, Nebula. All you had to do was go back immediately once you realized Thanos was on to you. You had so much time to just activate your suit! Sure we wouldn't have had a third act otherwise, but it feels like a pretty severely dumb decision. Way to go, Blue Seven Of Nine.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Gamora's death being, well, not undone but written out? Regardless we have an alternate universe Gamora with no history with the other Guardians, save Nebula, running around out there. Speaking of which, when exactly did she sneak off? She just kind of blends into the carnage I guess? I'm sure she will be addressed somehow or another in Guardians 3, but I feel like this needed a bit more attention.

Hey it's Wong! Wong exists!

We really should have had a scene where Rocket first finds Groot alive and well.

It would have been impossible, but it would have been so dang cool if one of the many, many portals at the end spat out the Marvflix Defenders. I mean, they would have been out of place, and Jessica surely would have just noped right back through the portal, but the climax already wasn't shy with fanservice so why the hell not?

I think we needed just a bit of buildup to Pepper flying in, suited up in her Rescue armor, to bust heads. Though I did like the one tiny bit of foreshadowing to it. Not the bit with their daughter and the helmet, no. I mean this:

"Mommy sent me to rescue you."

Well played.

I know they built Captain Marvel up to be this unstoppable badass, and as a result they kind of had to keep her out of things until the end, but it really is a shame that she sat out most of the movie when she was kind of billed as one of the top selling points.

Speaking of which, I think the movie needed to square the brief timeline regarding the Captain Marvel end credits scene and when she first shows up here in Endgame. It's like, I think we're supposed to believe she went to Earth first, then after that went and found Tony and Nebula, but... why? Why would she turn around and go back out into space, especially when there was no reason the other Avengers would have known Tony was out there. The only way this makes sense is if you completely disregard the Captain Marvel credits scene and assume she ran into Tony and Nebula on their way to Earth, but then that completely erases the significance of the credits scene of both Captain Marvel AND Infinity War and I just don't see that as being the intent.

Anyway, looking ahead, I think one thing I'd like to see is not as much a focus on the one big crossover with ALL THE CHARACTERS, at least not so often, but more movies like Thor Ragnarok, that pairs up a smaller number of the characters with smaller stakes.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:47 PM
whatever it takes

Default Thank you for contacting MCU customer service

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
Speaking of which, I think the movie needed to square the brief timeline regarding the Captain Marvel end credits scene and when she first shows up here in Endgame. It's like, I think we're supposed to believe she went to Earth first, then after that went and found Tony and Nebula, but... why? Why would she turn around and go back out into space, especially when there was no reason the other Avengers would have known Tony was out there. The only way this makes sense is if you completely disregard the Captain Marvel credits scene and assume she ran into Tony and Nebula on their way to Earth, but then that completely erases the significance of the credits scene of both Captain Marvel AND Infinity War and I just don't see that as being the intent.
There's a third possibility: In the opening scene of Infinity War, Thor hears Thanos tell the Black Order to meet him on Titan once they've retrieved the two Stones from Earth. After pooling their information post-snap, the Avengers could reasonably guess that the Q-ship that left New York was probably headed there, possibly with Tony aboard. The problem of course is that none of them have any idea where Titan is. But Carol very well might! So they ask her to go check it out to see if she can find any sign of Tony or Thanos, and she runs into the Benatar either on the way there or the way back.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:29 PM

Just got out of this movie. It was no more or less entertaining and disposable as any other Marvel movie. So I had fun. But I really resent a lot of stuff about this film. There was a lot of really dumb stuff!

Things I liked:
- Emasculating white power symbol Thor was pretty great. So was his character arc in this movie.

- Cap is always The Best

- Right and proper Big Comic Crossover Event

- I chuckled at most of the jokes, and most of the jokes did a good job of being timed properly so they wouldn't kill dramatic moments unlike a lot of other Marvel movies.

- There were a lot of good character moments, among the characters that did get a focus here.

Things I didn't like:
- The only original Avenger that was a woman, they fridged. Grosssssssss gtfo.

- I can tolerate bad timey-wimey stuff happening, but it's really obnoxious when they lampshade it so hard just to then go ahead and break causality/riddle the plot with holes anyways.

- I guess Black Panther's GF is just not invited to the party?

- Tony's death was D.U.M.B. why was this a thing

- Unlike an actual crossover event in actual comics, there isn't all the tie-in issues spread across dozens of comics so that you can better explore the characters you like and how they reacted to [Big Event] because it's just a single movie. Hi, I would like to know more about what was happening in Wakanda, no these morsels in Endgame were not enough.

- I about threw a shoe at the movie screen when they began to crib the credits gimmick from The Undiscovered Country. Find your own gimmick, Disney!

- The power scale Capt Marvel is working on was completely incompatible with the power scale otherwise demonstrated in the movie. It was like watching SSGSS Goku fighting in the very first Budokai in the original DB. Why exactly am I supposed to believe she couldn't have just ended everything on her own?

- I still don't like what the Marvel movies have done to Hulk.

- I really really don't like Cap going back in time. You're going to tell me Cap is gonna go back to the 50s or 70s or whenever, with knowledge of how everything unfolds, and not interfere with the timeline? That he's just gonna sit back and let stuff like the Kennedy assassination or 9/11 happen? I hate it. I hate it a lot.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:53 PM
Senhor Member

Per Rene Russo, sentient beings in the Marvel Cinematic Multiverse consider it unsporting to use knowledge of the future to easily prevent horrible things from happening.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:58 PM
Senhor Member

I really do think the movie makes it clear that Captain America couldnít have actually gone back in time and, like, altered the timeline. Iím sure he stopped 9/11 in the alternate reality he moved to and made sure to warn everybody in the other ones about Thanos and how to stop him. (ďjust go ahead and kill VisionĒ)
Old 04-27-2019, 06:03 PM
jiggery-pokery

I liked the movie, though it was Fan Service, the Film. They got everybody and their brother back to cameo. It felt like a fitting send-off to the Marvel films thus far, and RDJ Tony Stark in particular. Nat got the shaft.

Really wish we couldíve gotten the scene of Cap stabbing Jane Foster with the device to re-insert the Aether into her body. That was the WORST time to time heist that stone. Why not jump Sif and other dude outside of the Collectorís place and take it then? Or, just take it from the Collector? But they wanted to contrive a scene with Thor and mom for character reasons, and past-Thor has to be there too so future-Thor can bring the hammer back with him, so Cap can wield the hammer. Thatís a long way to go, and it doesnít quite work. Also, Dark World is not a great movie to call back to.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:09 PM

Or how about the time stone. You can use it to reverse time on things, right? So why not just use the time stone to reverse people's deaths, or un-explode the other infinity stones rather than dangerously going through time to get them. Or if you have the time stone and it lets you go through time, why be worried about being stuck in time if you have it?
Old 04-27-2019, 06:31 PM
World of Darkness Returns

What's the deal with going to the forge for the gauntlet in the last movie to withstand the power of the stones if that did / meant nothing anyway?
Old 04-27-2019, 07:29 PM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
What's the deal with going to the forge for the gauntlet in the last movie to withstand the power of the stones if that did / meant nothing anyway?
Remember that touching at least the Power Stone with your bare hand is a very bad idea, so whoever wants to use the Stones in concert needs something to house them in that can channel that power without being destroyed itself. Even with a Gauntlet, Thanos and Hulk got fucked up from snapping, and Tony got dead. It's a testament to Tony's engineering prowess that he was able to whip up something comparable to or even superior to Eitri's Infinity Gauntlet (what I'm dubbing the Iron Gauntlet) using Earth tech... comparatively, a box of scraps.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:50 PM
Brain Genius

I like how Tony just.. figures out time travel. Lol

Didn't like Thor's arc in this movie but that's probably because Ragnarok is my favorite Marvel film and this movie just undoes Thor's arc from that, though I am always, ALWAYS up for more Korg. I wonder if offscreen Thor asks his mom like, so you were never gonna tell me about Hela, were you? Reaaaallly? Lol

I don't get why people are saying all the women heroes lining up for that one shot in the climactic battle is cheesy or stands out or is contrived or whatever. That sort of shot has happened in every Avengers/superhero movie ever and they're all fuckin' contrived. Let the women have one, sheesh

Loved how Cap went out (he got to live to death :3. It's weird he didn't talk to Bucky, though) and loved what Tony said when he snapped. Really liked that the kid from Iron Man 3 was at Tony's funeral.

Somebody upthread said it best, the Soul Stone is actually the Man Pain Stone. Never liked Hawkeye, either, so... meh

I feel cheated we didn't get to see Banner and Hulk... combine or whatever, too. The character is a lot less interesting in this form, and I'll miss the two versions of him.

Anyway even given my complaints above I liked that a lot more than Infinity War.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:02 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I loved it! Itís definitely messy, like Infinity War, but it never got as messy as Age of Ultron. Theyíre trying to fit an absurd amount of plot and characters into one movie. Also, Iím pretty forgiving of this series because itís the kind of dumb entertainment that I like.

Regarding time travel: the time machine does not let you travel back in time directly, it shoots you into an alternate universe that is identical to the original timeline, except that the time travelers are there. Thereís an additional timeline for each time period that they travel to. (The time stone does alter time within the same timeline, but thereís also an entire movie about thatís not a great idea to mess around with). So, Loki has the Tesseract in his branched off timeline, but it only lets him travel around in that space and he canít interact with the main timeline anymore. New Gamora is now missing in her timeline (along with Thanos, Nebula, and his army!!) The Ancient Oneís point was that removing infinity stones from the branched off timelines will totally mess them up. Presumably the other things they do & take from those timelines change things too, but the infinity stones are just super important comparatively. Thanos destroying the stones is bad too, but itís not a result of time travel.

So Steve lived his life in a different timeline and returned after Peggy died. Also, in this timeline he was friends with Howard Stark and Iím sure everything that happened in the main branch of the MCU turned out differently in his timeline because he knew a ton of what was going to happen. Iím sure getting a shield made up for Sam was super easy. As to why he appeared on a bench instead of at the machine: it just made for a more interesting scene. (PS: I really like the idea that he returned Thorís hammer!)Iím pretty sure that Bucky knew exactly what was going to happen, either because he talked to Steve off screen or because he just thought about it for a minute & figured it out.

I liked that they continued Thorís character arc of becoming progressively funnier. Iím really looking forward to whatever James Gunn or Taika Waititi does with him next. I feel like his arc from Ragnarok ended with Infinity War, and this movie was him dealing with that failure & starting a new arc. I can see why that bothers some people but my initial impression was extremely positive. I also liked that his lowest point was basically becoming a troll in Fortnite.

There are so many little details that I loved. Like, they really tried to incorporate a lot of stuff from Thor 2 (the Natalie Portman shots were from a deleted scene) and Iron Man 2. The kid from Iron Man 3 got a cameo. The original Jarvis had some lines. Itís kind of bonkers.

I didnít like that they killed Gamora in Infinity War, and they did the exact same thing with Black Widow. I was sure it was going to be a fakeout because weíve already seen that setup, but they just did the same thing again. Thatís the worst part of both movies. That whole planet is just a place to kill women to make men feel sad. At least they brought Gamora back in an interesting way, and I hope she gets a ton of screen time in GOTG3

Feige said that the new Spider-Man is the last film from phase 3 and it serves as an epilogue to this movie. Also, Ned was snapped, but May was not. Iím certain that they will address the weird new world, and I bet the trailers that weíve seen were edited to not mentioning anything about it.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:51 AM
hourglass figure

I liked the movie, I guess. It was... alright? All the female characters got terribly underserved, though, and the "girl power" moment during the final battle felt completely unearned and hollow as a result (and also lasted like, five seconds). Ultimately, this was a movie first and foremost about sad dudes. Sad dads, even.

Sad dades.
Old 04-28-2019, 05:25 AM
5000 posts and I'm gone

My rating: Victory Lap/10.

The movie sends you home happy. Just donít think about it too much.

- Eddie
Old 04-28-2019, 09:18 AM
GASP

Pronouns: She/Her

My theory is that a soul for a soul works when you're returning the stone, too.

Tags
america's ass , i am iron man , marvel , marvel cinematic universe , mcu , sequels are inevitable , thanos the hand of fate , thorcc , unsnapple