The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-14-2019, 03:54 PM
You must whip it

That was a good read. And while whether Steve and Bucky had a romantic attraction is up for debate, what isn't is that Hollywood and a lot of moviegoing audiences are uncomfortable with intimate platonic relationships between men being portrayed. Exhibit 1 being the LOL GAY comments about Sam and Frodo way back when.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:04 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Itís not romantic, but theyíre clearly the most important relationship in each otherís lives. And we have trouble as a culture with knowing how to parse that kind of love. I doubt keeping them apart was intentional, the writers probably just forgot.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:22 PM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I don't think I mentioned this yet. When Cap yelled the Avengers Assemble line and then there was a shot of the the 2 armies running at each other, I legitimately thought it was gonna smash-cut to the end of the fight after the Avengers beat Thanos.
That sorta joke only works for stuff like Mario and Bowser where everyone's already seen the fight happen a hundred times before and the characters themselves aren't even invested.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:24 PM
SEARING RED GAZE

I'm not sure WHY you want that, is what I'm saying.

I mean.

Outside of just not liking big fight superhero battles, in which case, why are you watching an avengers movie?
Old 05-14-2019, 10:34 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I mean honestly the big superhero battles were the weakest part of this movie.

The strongest parts of Endgame were definitely the melancholic first act and the time heist.

As far as battles go, smaller scale encounters like the decapitation of Thanos by the Leftover Avengers and Captain America vs. Time Hopping Thanos were the real highlights.

Once everyone showed up it was CGI mush with no sense of rhythm.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:07 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
I'm not sure WHY you want that, is what I'm saying.
All of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post

The strongest parts of Endgame were definitely the melancholic first act and the time heist.

As far as battles go, smaller scale encounters like the decapitation of Thanos by the Leftover Avengers and Captain America vs. Time Hopping Thanos were the real highlights.

And another point: we already saw them beat Thanos' army in Infinity War. It's not like I don't understand why there was yet another CGI army smashing showdown. It was just not terribly engaging this go around.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:30 AM
Crazy Old Bird

I loved the big dumb CGI mush.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:26 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Yeah that stuff's awesome.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:59 AM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:

Yeah, I agree completely. Once it stopped being a film about survivor's guilt it got slightly less interesting, and the fight had no rhythm or sense of geography. Wasn't exactly the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. I can understand why they had to do that at the end of the film, but it wasn't an interesting battle outside of cool moments.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:59 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

The CGI fight was fun, and it didnít even take that long.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:42 AM
That bug is NUTS!

I was legit dreading the two-CGI-armies-smash-into-each-other-for-20-minutes scene that all tent pole super hero flicks are legally required to have but this one was fairly inoffensive as far as those things go. It was relatively short and actually had some character stuff happen. I'm not saying I liked it, but it wasn't so bad.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:49 AM
The Blue Hat Returns!

Hah! Just saw a reference that, yes, Marvel's Inhumans did actually exist. Wonder where they were for Endgame?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:02 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cartoon View Post
Hah! Just saw a reference that, yes, Marvel's Inhumans did actually exist. Wonder where they were for Endgame?
My guess? They *all* got snapped and Bruce forgot to wish them back.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:23 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
My guess? They *all* got snapped and Bruce forgot to wish them back.
Yeah. Forgot.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:32 PM
oh my car

I don't like it when a superhero movie turns into Dynasty Warriors.

However, if Dynasty Warriors turned into a superhero movie, I think that would be fine.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:31 PM
Fluffy Prince

Hmm....

Couldn't the whole final battle with Thanos have been avoided if Capt. Marvel joined them on their time-caper? That way they would've screwed up a whole lot less and not cause past-Thanos to cross-over.

I mean, the entire galaxy depended on them to retrieve the stones for their big Undo-snap, so...
Old 05-16-2019, 06:41 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfried View Post
Couldn't the whole final battle with Thanos have been avoided if Capt. Marvel joined them on their time-caper?
No.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:42 PM
Fluffy Prince

Quote:
No.
How so? Marvel would've probably joined up with Nebula and averted a crisis. Or maybe join Tony Stark in securing the Tesseract.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:05 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Marvel was busy with the other half of the universe. Iím not sure how sheer power would have helped in a stealth mission.

And thereís no way anyone could have predicted what happened with Nebula.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
...thereís no way anyone could have predicted what happened with Nebula.
I mean, I figure Nebula herself might have an idea about how she works. Also, we've seen Thanos control her body against her will before, and they send her back to a time where he's alive and can do it again and I'm just like, how did nobody see this one coming actually??
Old 05-16-2019, 11:52 PM
Fluffy Prince

Quote:
Marvel was busy with the other half of the universe. Iím not sure how sheer power would have helped in a stealth mission.
...Because the other half of the universe all depended on them retrieving the Stones?
Old 05-17-2019, 01:15 AM
Senhor Member

Nothing would have been any easier with Captain Marvel because power levels and scheme-setbacks are made up. imo
Old 05-17-2019, 01:16 AM
Senhor Member

If Captain Marvel joins Nebula and Rhodes she just wouldíve been off with Rhodes not noticing that Nebula was having Time Troubles.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:11 AM
Born in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I mean, I figure Nebula herself might have an idea about how she works.
I find it perfectly reasonable that Thanos has tech to monitor Nebula's location and everything she's doing and never told her about it. He's an abusive father.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:05 AM
Crazy Old Bird

I mean that thereís no way anyone could have predicted that a time displaced Nebula would short circuit that timelineís Nebula and send it accidental signals, because no one knew that two Nebulas occupying one universe was even possible.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:34 AM
Fluffy Prince

Quote:
I mean that thereís no way anyone could have predicted that a time displaced Nebula would short circuit that timelineís Nebula and send it accidental signals, because no one knew that two Nebulas occupying one universe was even possible.
Still, Capt. Marvel joining them would reduced setbacks, and they really could need it considering how they attracted the unwanted attention of some of their past selves.

The other half of the galaxy can wait, since they are trying to bring back the other half of the universe.

Also there was the whole thing with present-Nebula getting captured. Capt. Marv could've easily gotten her out of that situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
Nothing would have been any easier with Captain Marvel because power levels and scheme-setbacks are made up. imo
All the setbacks are conveniently set up so "we want Loki as a bad-guy again" and "we need that big fight scene to cap this film's climax."
Old 05-17-2019, 12:19 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Okoye could have been useful too but she was busy dealing with an earthquake. They didnít need to ask every hero they knew to come along. Bringing along more people would add variables, not reduce them.

Iím discovering that arguing over how this movie uses Captain Marvel is one of my favorite things about it.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:21 PM
whatever it takes

They also only had so many Pym Particles. Bringing one more person along would have meant only one zero trial runs. Dammit Scott!
Old 05-17-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Okoye could have been useful too but she was busy dealing with an earthquake.
Was she though? What's she gonna do there? Hand out water bottles? Supervise? It seems like a misapplication of her talents and a poor prioritization when you've got one chance to bring back half the universe and you've gotta stick the landing. IIRC even in the movie they ask her how to stop an earthquake and she's like, "Uh, you don't do anything, duh. It's an earthquake..."

I was never satisfied with how they largely wrote both her and Capt Marvel out of the film. I get you want a send-off for the original squad. I don't care though. Your original squad was boring, and your universe is made better by the wide breadth and scope of its heroes. Big misstep. You've got like 5 hours of runtime, you can fit one or both of these characters into your scenario. If the rabbit can fit in, so can these ladies.

You know an easy way to instantly improve this movie? Send Capt Marvel to go get the Soul Stone. And when Hawkedge and Black Widow start doing their super stupid stupid suicide dance, Capt Marvel just stops them and is like, "this is dumb" and blasts whatever bullshit is keeping the Soul Stone captive and just takes it b/c she's a bad ass and doesn't care about the laws of physics or whatever bullshit Red Skull is throwing down.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:12 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Okoye was an important leader in a country recovering from the fallout of a power vacuum and natural disaster. If the heist didnít go well sheíd be needed there.

Though, yes, itís dumb and bad that they felt the need to sideline important female characters, particularly when said characters are on the poster.

And sending the two humans without powers to a strange planet no one knew anything about was pretty dumb.

Tags
america's ass , i am iron man , marvel , marvel cinematic universe , mcu , sequels are inevitable , thanos the hand of fate , thorcc , unsnapple