The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-20-2018, 01:27 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Apocalypse was able to learn English by gently caressing a television set, and for his honour-guard of the most powerful mutants on Earth, he chose "a guy with wings" as his only super power.

For that I am forced to admire it.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:19 AM
Senhor Member

Logan Noir seems like the inferior way to watch the film. This clearly wasn’t filmed in black-and-white and it doesn’t look particularly interesting this way. The color’s just... obviously missing.

I saw this just last year but it was before I started listening to an X-Men podcast and reading these comics. I had no idea who Donald Pierce was and now I’m like, “that was Donald Pierce? lmao.”

This is A Very Serious movie and a lot of the comic book mad science nonsense landed very poorly. (Donald Pierce was fine, tho)
Old 05-21-2018, 05:54 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
I had no idea who Donald Pierce was and now I’m like, “that was Donald Pierce? lmao.”
[...] (Donald Pierce was fine, tho)
The biggest missed opportunity was not including Bonebreaker.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:24 AM

I didn't see any social media or trailers for Deadpool 2 and the debut of X-Force was definitely the highlight of the film for me.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:30 AM
PROGRAMMED BY NASIR

Pronouns: ♂

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Blacksmith View Post
I didn't see any social media or trailers for Deadpool 2 and the debut of X-Force was definitely the highlight of the film for me.
*whispers*

X-Force...
Old 05-21-2018, 01:29 PM
Fifth Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Apocalypse was able to learn English by gently caressing a television set, and for his honour-guard of the most powerful mutants on Earth, he chose "a guy with wings" as his only super power.

For that I am forced to admire it.
I learned Italian by side-eyeing a radio, and my honor-guard (called the Dishonor Guard to piss off the plebs) included a guy with only one wing.

So admire ME.

Quote:
Logan Noir seems like the inferior way to watch the film. This clearly wasn’t filmed in black-and-white and it doesn’t look particularly interesting this way. The color’s just... obviously missing.
At a store I saw a book called Watchmen Noir that was just the whole comic with all the color taken out and I kept coming back around to that part of the aisle to do double-takes at it.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:52 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

The Black & White version of Fury Road is also not very good. I like B&W comics and movies, but just throwing something behind a grey scale is probably not a good idea.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:38 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
The Black & White version of Fury Road is also not very good. I like B&W comics and movies, but just throwing something behind a grey scale is probably not a good idea.
It definitely isn't. Watchmen, Fury Road, even The Killing Joke, were all drawn/shot with specific color compositions in mind. Simply desaturating them into B&W (or muting the colors in TKJ's case) misses the visual intent and diminishes the narrative. Old films dodn't look dramatic because they lacked color--they looked dramatic because, in absence of color, cinematography employed lighting to compose a shot. Highlights and shadows are starker, more solid. Film noir is ALL about chiaroscuro. That's why desaturated visuals look worse then honest black-and-white ones.

(The opposite is also true for colorized film. Simply slapping color onto a B&W frame doesn't work, because the high-contrast lighting makes the colors look cartoony.)
Old 05-21-2018, 02:41 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Watching Apocalypse and just remembered someone (estragon?) pointing one great aspect of this franchise: there are like half a dozen hair origin stories herein.
If I said this I almost definitely stole it from someone, maybe either Jay and Miles or Maddy Meyers.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:15 PM
Senhor Member

WalMart always comes through. I found a set of all the Marvel Anime for 25 dollars (less than they all cost online) so I would’ve been losing money if I didn’t buy it. I’m inclined to just watch the X-Men/Wolverine stuff, but is the rest of it connected? They say Blade is “the best” but Iron Man is “the first.” What a pickle.

I also picked up Wolverine and the X-Men 9 months ago and watched Disc 1... I suppose I should (?) see what’s up with that.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:28 AM
Mystery Contraption

My thoughts on Wolverine and the X-Men at so confused.

However, I think the writing staffs thoughts were also very confused, so I was able to understand their intent perfectly.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:52 AM

I thought Wolverine & The X-Men was the best adaptation of the X-Men to date. Tons of time travel / alternate reality shit. Its a shame they never got a season 2 so we could actually see the Age of Apocalypse stuff they teased.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:39 AM
Mystery Contraption

Like TAS, it was trying to be vague about how long the X-Men had been in operation, so about half the characters are familiar to the team and half aren’t. But it came across as being really arbitrary as to which was which.

Expecting viewers to know who Magneto or The Brotherhood Are is one thing. Just casually tossing the flippin’ Shadow King on screen and saying “oh, it’s just that guy again” is quite another. It perfectly captures the feeling of picking up a random issue in the middle of a storyline and just trying to get by on context clues, I’ll give it that.

It also had one of the most confusing depictions of time travel I’ve ever seen. And yes, I’m aware I’m talking about X-Men when I say this.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:11 AM

"Logan...I'm talking to you from the future via psychic powers via my comatose body!"
Old 05-24-2018, 08:26 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
WalMart always comes through. I found a set of all the Marvel Anime for 25 dollars (less than they all cost online) so I would’ve been losing money if I didn’t buy it. I’m inclined to just watch the X-Men/Wolverine stuff, but is the rest of it connected? They say Blade is “the best” but Iron Man is “the first.” What a pickle.
They technically all take place in the same continuity and but the individual series are self-contained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Like TAS, it was trying to be vague about how long the X-Men had been in operation, so about half the characters are familiar to the team and half aren’t. But it came across as being really arbitrary as to which was which.
I love that the 90s show suddenly decided in the back half of the show's run that the Original Five era was something that happened.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:01 AM
Senhor Member

Thought O5 flashback stuff was there from the beginning, but I could be misremembering.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:13 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
"Logan...I'm talking to you from the future via psychic powers via my comatose body!"
There was also the episode where Xavier gave Logan directions to a Sentinal factory in the future so he could destroy it, but Wolverine kept screwing up so the Sentinals already in the future just kept getting stronger and stronger.

And the Professor kept sending a running commentary on what was happening to him to Wolverine.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:43 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Thought O5 flashback stuff was there from the beginning, but I could be misremembering.
Oh, it was definitely not there from the beginning! Warren is a stranger to everyone in season 1. Late in Season 4 when Xavier is having Shadow King related flashbacks, Warren was an original member of the team.

It's very funny that literally no X-Men adaptation can figure out how much backstory predates the show and just . . . stick to it.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:45 AM
Mystery Contraption

Could have been a different guy with wings. Like Beak. Let’s say it was Beak.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:40 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
The biggest missed opportunity was not including Bonebreaker.
I watched Logan again last night, and I have much to say on it, but wanted to point out before I forget: Bonebreaker is in Logan, he just doesn't have his treads. Of course, if he doesn't have his treads.... Is he really Bonebreaker?
Old 05-31-2018, 11:47 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

The moment where X-Men Apocalypse went from funny to very funny to me was when one scene ended with Apocalypse and his horsemen posing dramatically on some rocks, and then when it cut back to them later they were still posing dramatically on those rocks
Old 05-31-2018, 12:53 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
The moment where X-Men Apocalypse went from funny to very funny to me was when one scene ended with Apocalypse and his horsemen posing dramatically on some rocks, and then when it cut back to them later they were still posing dramatically on those rocks
I know most people here dislike CinemaSins, but it does illustrate the above very well!

...insert entire Stryker plot at Alkali Lake here...

So what were they doing in the meantime?
Old 05-31-2018, 01:14 PM
Senhor Member

Spoken like people who’ve never had a boss have them stand senselessly for hours when equipment isn’t working because you’re still on the clock and they inhabit a perverse moral universe!

Psylocke’s posing is definitely part of that films charm. Also I think she pops up at Auschwitz. (still... dressed like Psylocke)

Finished the first season of Legion! I was pretty much down with what they were selling by the end. I will subtract one star out of however many I awarded because it had a post-credits stinger but it’s television.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:19 PM
Senhor Member

There’s a chance this Psylocke is the same ‘locke that shows up in the Jay Faerber-penned movie tie-in comic, or perhaps that’s the younger Psylocke from The Last Stand. Can’t be both. I like to think one bittersweet effect of the timeline-altering is that Munnlocke was always or became good in the first universe, but never reformed in the new one. (doubt she’ll appear again, though she did scamper off at the end of Apocalypse)

WAIT SHE’S RUMORED TO BE APPEARING IN DARK PHOENIX? Yessssssssss. I hope they give her a backstory with Revanche and really just dig into that with a shovel composed of the focused totality of my ironic detachment.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:43 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
WAIT SHE’S RUMORED TO BE APPEARING IN DARK PHOENIX? Yessssssssss. I hope they give her a backstory with Revanche and really just dig into that with a shovel composed of the focused totality of my ironic detachment.
You're asking too much from this particular film franchise, let's start off small and give her actual lines and maybe a second dimension to her character, then we can talk backstories and focused totalities.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:53 PM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Saw Deadpool 2 and it just made me feel old and done
Old 06-04-2018, 07:43 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

X-MEN. Eh.

X2: X-Men United. It was okay I guess.

X-Men: The Last Stand. This one's pretty bad. Also, I always thought it was really fucked up how everybody got on Rouge's case for wanting to get the mutant cure when their powers were stuff like "Shooting fire" and "controlling the weather" and "Unaided flight" and her power was "YOU WILL KILL EVERYONE YOU LOVE". Killing everyone you love isn't a power, you guys! THIS IS WHY YOU HAVE TO THINK ABOUT YOUR METAPHORS!

X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

X-Men: First Class. At lot of people claim this is the "Good" one but I couldn't help but think it was really kinda dopey how half the team just ended up on team magneto "Just cuz".

The Wolverine. I didn't see it, I hear it's kinda eh.

X-Men: Days of Future Past. Skipped this one too.

Deadpool. I like movies where people say bad words IS THAT SUCH A CRIME?!?!?!

X-Men: Apocalypse. Skipped it, but I watched the super-speed scene on youtube and it was pretty okay.

Logan. This one's legitimately mind-blowing like holy shit. Who guessed that the only truly great movie about Wolverine would be about Wolverine's slow death?

Deadpool 2. I thought it was hilarious and I loved it. Also it's kind of It's kind of amazing that of all the X-Men movies I've seen, this is the only one that's entirely about trying to reach out to and help a troubled child.

I mean

The whole X-Men series is supposedly about a special school that exists to help children who don't fit in with their peers! But ALL of those movies are about some douchebag with magnets and CONQUEROR THE WORLD plots and bullshit. Only the joke movie where the main character mugs at the camera and says the F-word is the one that's actually about the importance of reaching out to troubled children!

The mind reels.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:48 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

I guess Logan is technically also about trying to help troubled children too.

So 2 movies that cover that subject matter out of 11. The one that's a joke, and the one that's mainly about slowly dying in a world that no longer has a place for you.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:18 AM
Senhor Member

I mean, I’ve read a lot of X-Men comics and I wouldn’t say they’re mostly about helping troubled children at all. Maybe more about “helping troubled people, sometimes.” Still.

Deadpool 2 isn’t even the first movie in the franchise to use the “we’ve gotta travel back in time to stop a character from one person so they don’t kill a ton of other people! not that there’s anything wrong with killing a ton of people if the circumstances are right, though” plot. Also, second movie to feature an extensive dream ghost plot. (The Wolverine) Both plot elements were better executed in the other movies, IMO.

I dunno! I liked the first one, but this one bothered me. It could’ve been more cynical and self-aware because its sincere elements fatally clashed with its comedy.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:48 AM
Space Prez

Logan is really quite excellent, and I need to give it a few more rewatches because I think I have a lot to say about it.

Tags
berserker barrage , pero-x-ide , x-men