The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-15-2019, 06:58 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Saw it a second time, this time with the kids. Greninja gave them a big jump scare, and Mewtwo in general was kind of cover your eyes scary for one of them until the end when he stopped being mind controlled. They both came out loving it regardless, though.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:59 AM

I liken it to the first Harry Potter film.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:44 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Watched it and enjoyed it. I liked the first half a lot more than the second, because of the stronger focus on showing different Pokemon. The second half focused more on the story, which wasn't the movies strongest point. It was sort of fun to watch how everything became really weird and dumb.

It pretty much was as I expected - cute Pokemon and an ok plot. Nothing amazing, but absolutely ok.

How long did it take everyone to realize that Pikachu was the father? It took me until the very end, the scene where controlled Mewtwo put everyones personality into their Pokemon at the parade.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:57 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixSH View Post
How long did it take everyone to realize that Pikachu was the father? It took me until the very end, the scene where controlled Mewtwo put everyones personality into their Pokemon at the parade.
I guessed after they first had a flashback showing his dad but deliberately not showing the dad's face. So then I figured it was because his dad was Ryan Reynolds.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:57 PM
I hunt Mondays.

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
I already guessed that was going to be the big 'twist' even without having seen the movie yet. In my opinion, Talking Pikachu=Missing Dad always seemed like such a predictable and obvious thing to pull that I hoped it would be subverted. I mean, the whole "Main character gets turned into a smaller form by bad guys" thing was the entire backstory of Detective Conan (SMRT Kid=Missing Boyfriend), a popular manga and anime series that's been actively running for over two decades now.

No biggie, though. The mystery wasn't even in the Top 10 for reasons why I wanted to watch Detective Pikachu.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:51 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

So yeah, saw this with 30+ Pokemon Go nerds yesterday. It was a lot of fun! If I had to nitpick I might complain that the gargantuan Torterra set-piece was completely pointless and there only to be "look at our cool landscape CGI effects whilt the main character inexplicably don't die" and went on too long, but eh, it's fine. The pokemon were great, the story was just as dumb as it needed to be, the acting started off a little stiff but got better, and Bill Nighy really getting into it is always fun. Looking forward to seeing what more they can do with this setting.

(Hmmm... can we let Taika Waititi make one of these??)
Old 05-18-2019, 08:01 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Embarrassingly, I too didn't realize it until the reveal. I also didn't guess that Ryan Reynolds was playing the dad, though every time the refused to show his face I was trying to figure out that actor was. It had to be someone, or they'd just show it.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:28 PM
King Of Space-Time

There's a Ryme City PD mug?
Old 05-19-2019, 11:12 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Just saw it. It was good enough to be worth seeing, pretty much what I expected. The villain’s plot was sufficiently bonkers for a Pokémon story, and would fit right in as an evil Team in the games.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:41 AM
actually an eevee

Pronouns: she/her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post

There's a Ryme City PD mug?
They're for sale on the Pokemon company shop
Old 05-19-2019, 11:48 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

I saw this over the weekend.

It was weird and fun. I'm not a huge Pokemans fan but I had to see it just for the weird spectacle of it all, and it certainly provided that.

Might this be the best video game movie to date? I can't say for sure, but it's definitely up there among the best ones.

Now if they want to make a sequel (spoiler: I totally expect a sequel) how are they going to contrive getting Daddy Reynolds back into the Pikachu body?
Old 05-19-2019, 12:23 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
How long did it take everyone to realize that Pikachu was the father?
Midway through the first trailer. I was genuinely surprised that Ryan Reynolds also played the father. Like... didn't you notice that your dad's partner pokemon, who was with him when they disappeared, and can speak to you despite every other pokemon bring unable to speak, sounds and acts exactly like your dad?? I was just expecting it would be another actor, maybe doing an impression or something.

I did guess that the woman in the pink and black wearing sunglasses was Bill Nighy's Ditto, but did not expect it was also masquerading as his son. That was some good misdirection. Also Mewtwo escaping from Kanto 20 years ago means this movie is canon with the first pokemon movie (there was also an "in association with Toho" credit, they distribute the animated movies in Japan)

That tiny car was awesome. I want one.

I've seen complaints that there were not enough variety of pokemon, which is fair but I thought it was a nice touch, reflecting their regional pokedex. I thought the story was pretty good, but am willing to concede that I have Stockholm Syndrome from seeing too many bad kid's movies. It was way better than the Lego Batman movie at any rate. It had a real noir vibe, and was surprisingly faithful to the world established in the games. They did a good job balancing everything.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:16 PM
play digimon cyber sleuth

Default ["well actually" voice]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
Also Mewtwo escaping from Kanto 20 years ago means this movie is canon with the first pokemon movie
A bunch of people say this and it drives me, a licensed Pokemon pedant, bonkers!

Mewtwo being created in Kanto (though not by Team Rocket) and then escaping from the site of its creation is canon from the video game universe. It's possible that this movie is supposed to exist in the same universe as Ash & Co of the anime/movies, but it could just as easily be set within the games universe, or (personally I think this is most likely) set in its own continuity that shares certain core elements and storylines with the games, like most spinoff Pokemon continuities are.

The last option gives them by far the most "don't think about it too hard" creative freedom and also, like, IP legal abloobloo freedom, probably.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:34 PM
Space Prez

It can't be the Mewtwo from red/blue, because I definitely caught that one. It didn't even escape Kanto, it was hiding in a cave!

I wasn't really sure of that backstory. I'm going to lean into the Macross angle and say that both movies are fictionalized dramatizations of real pokemon world events, and released in theaters in that world. Bill Nighy is canon, dammit.

(It was the Toho credit that pushed me in the direction of movies over games)
Old 05-19-2019, 04:43 PM
Space Prez

Following this movie's logic, and it's consistency with other branches of the franchise, I have an important discovery to announce: Meowth is Jesse and James' dad.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:47 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredde View Post
Speaking of dark, what was the creepiest bit in the movie? The swarm of rabid aipoms? Greninjas acting like xenomorphs? Or a human being with tiny ditto eyes?
Yes
Old 05-19-2019, 04:50 PM
actually an eevee

Pronouns: she/her

Quote:
Following this movie's logic, and it's consistency with other branches of the franchise, I have an important discovery to announce: Meowth is Jesse and James' dad.
new headcanon
Old 05-19-2019, 05:00 PM
Senhor Member

Quote:
gdi
Old 05-19-2019, 05:43 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

I saw the new movie about the world's maybe most famous cartoon rodent, and I enjoyed it. Good effects.

It succeeded in conveying the fundamental appeal of the franchise's premise, without being a glorification of that premise or of the franchise.

It's a low-key utopia where everybody has a superpowered pet, and where connection, openness, and trust axiomatically bring out the best in everybody and lead to the best outcomes. That setting, more than the story or any character involved in it, is the star here.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:22 PM
Space Prez

I thought it was a prop car IT'S A REALly terrible CAR

Old 05-20-2019, 02:32 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

Watched it yesterday, was exactly what I expected, enjoyed it quite a lot, even when I'm not at all a Pokémon fan (what I know I've gotten from playing the beginning of a couple of the first generations, from Smash and from general vg cultural osmosis).

Quote:
Watched it and enjoyed it. I liked the first half a lot more than the second, because of the stronger focus on showing different Pokemon. The second half focused more on the story, which wasn't the movies strongest point. It was sort of fun to watch how everything became really weird and dumb.

It pretty much was as I expected - cute Pokemon and an ok plot. Nothing amazing, but absolutely ok.
Ayup, this here.

Quote:
Since the trailer where they told that his father was missing/presumed dead, it was pretty clear cut.
It was a very formulaic and predictable story, this and Bill Nighy is the bad guy (see also) were total non-twists. I admit the ditto did catch me off guard though, should've seen that one coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
So yeah, saw this with 30+ Pokemon Go nerds yesterday. It was a lot of fun! If I had to nitpick I might complain that the gargantuan Torterra set-piece was completely pointless and there only to be "look at our cool landscape CGI effects whilt the main character inexplicably don't die" and went on too long, but eh, it's fine. The pokemon were great, the story was just as dumb as it needed to be, the acting started off a little stiff but got better, and Bill Nighy really getting into it is always fun. Looking forward to seeing what more they can do with this setting.

(Hmmm... can we let Taika Waititi make one of these??)
Yeah, totally agreed on the Torterra scene: unnecessary (Pikachu could've gotten hurt by the xenomorph!greninjas -excellent simile, Fredde, BTW-), absurd and far far too excessive. The lowest point of the movie for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hologramblue View Post
(...) or (personally I think this is most likely) set in its own continuity that shares certain core elements and storylines with the games, like most spinoff Pokemon continuities are.

The last option gives them by far the most "don't think about it too hard" creative freedom and also, like, IP legal abloobloo freedom, probably.
Yeah, they'll totally go that broad strokes route, it's what they always do, and it's common sense really - more freedom but allows for all the fan winks you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
That setting, more than the story or any character involved in it, is the star here.
Totally, it's what sets apart and sells the movie.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:39 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
I saw the new movie about the world's maybe most famous cartoon rodent, and I enjoyed it. Good effects.
The Walt Disney corporation would like to have a word with you.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:24 AM
Space Prez

Mmmm, I think he has it right.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:25 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
The Walt Disney corporation would like to have a word with you.
Pretty sure Nintendo has overtaken Disney for "most recognizable mascot" twice over at this point (Mario & Pikachu)?
Old 05-20-2019, 07:50 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Mickey mouse can kiss my ass.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:26 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensenic View Post
It was a very formulaic and predictable story, this and Bill Nighy is the bad guy (see also) were total non-twists. I admit the ditto did catch me off guard though, should've seen that one coming.
Ironically, I had the pink-haired assistant pegged as a ditto from the beginning, but failed to notice that the son was wearing sunglasses every time he was being evil for an embarrassingly long time.

(There was a background clue to this part of the plot early on that some people may have missed - after the TV broadcast with both Nighy and his son, as the camera pulls away when they're leaving you can see his ditto transform into a different random human assistant to push his chair out.)
Old 05-20-2019, 08:57 AM
Space Prez

When I saw it again on Sunday, I realized that the last time you see the real son, he is putting on those glasses as he walked away. It's a proper murder mystery with three suspects (Mewtwo, the son and Bill Nighy)

It's not like mindblowingly good, but I thought the story was pretty clever.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:46 AM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Yeah, it's fine, especially considering that a good part of the audience will be kids, who are probably as genre savy as me. 😅 They will even get surprised by the twists.

But yes, the setting and the Pokemon are the main draw, and are really well done.

Tags
foreverially delitized , forget it pikachu , it's pallet town , law enforcement , p.i. kachu , pikachu , who framed roger buneary?