The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-15-2019, 05:38 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

Default Make it so! Talking about Star Trek: Picard

Because what else were they going to call it?

We got little more than a logo and a single frame to go on so far, but that frame is bringing some feelings.

Looking forward to seeing some f'real footage!
Old 05-15-2019, 06:20 PM

The name is super dumb but I'd watch it if it was called Star Trek: Fecal Matter
Old 05-15-2019, 07:38 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Holding out hope that "Picard" is a station he named after himself.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:45 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Or a retirement community station and he's roommates with Ian McKellan as holographic Ian McKellan and it's just a hang out show. Also, Spot is in it because future magic extends cat life expectancies. Barclay is activities director.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:07 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

And Picard still gets his name wrong?
Old 05-16-2019, 12:40 AM
Oh No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Or a retirement community station and he's roommates with Ian McKellan as holographic Ian McKellan and it's just a hang out show. Also, Spot is in it because future magic extends cat life expectancies. Barclay is activities director.
That description just makes me think Red Dwarf: Star Trek edition.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:12 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

I love Star Trek, and TNG is my favorite Star Trek by a mile, by a bajillion miles

I do not want this. Who wants this? Why do they want this?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:28 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

I have no idea what this is, so I have no idea whether or not I want it.

Similarly, the title Star Trek: Picard could be either good or bad, depending on the content of the series.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:33 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

If it's not a sitcom about Picard's new life post-Starfleet as an antiquities shop owner and/or museum curator, then it should be illegal. Cast includes his wacky neighbor Carmichael, street urchin Patches, and no-nonsense paralegal Ms. Wildefort.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:46 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
If it's not a sitcom about Picard's new life post-Starfleet as an antiquities shop owner and/or museum curator, then it should be illegal. Cast includes his wacky neighbor Carmichael, street urchin Patches, and no-nonsense paralegal Ms. Wildefort.
In that case, (1) I would want the show and (2) the title would be bad.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:10 AM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

I would love to see Patrick Stewart working with one or two actors from Deep Space 9 or Voyager. Even just like, one scene. That would be great.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:01 PM

lol I'm going to watch this show. And despite protestations, I know all of you are going to watch this show. And I'm going to reserve judgment for a while until I can give it a real, honest, fair shot. Because I've said it before many times, I'm done prematurely judging Star Trek shows for what they aren't/what I want them to be, rather than judging them on their own merits and giving them a real chance.

I have faith that whatever it'll be, it'll at least be interesting because Patrick Stewart has gone way out of his way for decades on end saying he'd never return to this character/ Star Trek. So his enthusiastic reprisal had to have at least sparked his imagination and acting-gene really hard.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:04 PM

Oh, here's a few leaked, sneaky production pics as well:

The uniform choice is interesting.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:10 PM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

Personally I'm excited for the first piece of Star Trek media to be set in the 24th century since Nemesis. Between prequels and alternate universes it feels like they did everything they could think of to avoid coming back to this era for whatever reason, but now here we are again.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:26 PM
has to go somewhere

Pronouns: he/him/his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
Personally I'm excited for the first piece of Star Trek media to be set in the 24th century since Nemesis. Between prequels and alternate universes it feels like they did everything they could think of to avoid coming back to this era for whatever reason, but now here we are again.
Hear, hear! I'm encouraged by anything Trek that doesn't look like yet another trip to the "let's just get back to the good old days of Kirk and Spock!" well.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:26 PM
Brain Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
I love Star Trek, and TNG is my favorite Star Trek by a mile, by a bajillion miles

I do not want this. Who wants this? Why do they want this?
I want this because it's about my favorite Star Trek character from my favorite Star Trek show who is played by one of my favorite actors who, as others have pointed out above, liked the scripts enough to want to come back to this character
Old 05-16-2019, 12:29 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
lol I'm going to watch this show. And despite protestations, I know all of you are going to watch this show.
At best, I'll watch it when it's done, because I refuse to sign up for CBS' streaming thing. I'm already signed up for too many, and more and more companies keep pushing to start their own services and it is so irritating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazin View Post
I want this because it's about my favorite Star Trek character from my favorite Star Trek show who is played by one of my favorite actors who, as others have pointed out above, liked the scripts enough to want to come back to this character
Mine too, mine too, mine too, that is neat

I still don't trust this. I'm not even cautiously optimistic, just cautious
Old 05-16-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposition Owl View Post
Hear, hear! I'm encouraged by anything Trek that doesn't look like yet another trip to the "let's just get back to the good old days of Kirk and Spock!" well.
I mean, you're trading the good ole days of Kirk & Spock for the good ole days of Picard and Data. Either one is a nostalgia grab, it's just a nostalgia grab for a different audience/subset of the fandom. Maybe you fit into one subset and not the other, but I personally don't and I don't see either one as more or less valid than the other. I love them both. And just want new Star Trek in my life versus the no Star Trek we previously dealt with for over a decade.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:51 PM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Honestly because they didn't leave themselves much of anywhere to obviously go -- the Gamma and Delta Quadrants have been done, the Dominion War basically left the Federation without serious geopolitical (astropolitical?) rivals save the Romulans, then they blew up Romulus (so dumb) -- I'm intensely interested in this solely to see what the post DS9 Trek status quo looks like.

Ideal storyline -- Picard goes to Garak to get a pair of slacks taken in, hijinks ensue
Old 05-16-2019, 01:36 PM
Child of the Sun and Sky

Quote:
I mean, you're trading the good ole days of Kirk & Spock for the good ole days of Picard and Data. Either one is a nostalgia grab, it's just a nostalgia grab for a different audience/subset of the fandom. Maybe you fit into one subset and not the other, but I personally don't and I don't see either one as more or less valid than the other. I love them both. And just want new Star Trek in my life versus the no Star Trek we previously dealt with for over a decade.
But every time there is new Trek, it's always for Kirk fans. I feel a bit left behind. Just give me one show from the TNG era. Of course it's all for nostalgia, but I want something for my nostalgia too.

Of course new Trek is good, and more Kirk era stuff is far better than nothing. But I only like the Kirk era a lot, while I love the TNG era, and for once it's nice to not only get Trek, but also from my favourite era.

The main reason why I like to get out of the Kirk era is actually that it gives me hope that we, maybe, finally can move on and just hop hundred years or so into the future and explore actually new ground, getting rid of a ton of baggage in the process. That's just a pipe dream, but I'd really like ashow that has the freedom TNG had back than.

Also, please no Klingons. I'm so tired of them.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:39 PM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:

The uniform choice is interesting.
This the early DS9 / voyager uniform?
Old 05-16-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixSH View Post
But every time there is new Trek, it's always for Kirk fans. I feel a bit left behind. Just give me one show from the TNG era.
But that doesn't really bare out under scrutiny? "Every time" amounts to twice - the reboot films, and Discovery. The latter of which went to great lengths its first season to separate itself from the TOS era both visually and thematically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
This the early DS9 / voyager uniform?
I don't think so. It certainly is meant to evoke that imagery I'm sure, but there's plenty of small differences I can spot that make it distinct. The DS9/VOY uniforms have the purple turtlenecks underneath which these don't immediately appear to have. The collars on these are far more pronounced. It looks like there are medals or rank pips that run along the top of the color change versus being on the collars like all TNG era uniforms. The insignia/combages look a lot bigger. The department color of the shoulers doesn't cut cleanly across the front of the chest, rather it dips down a bit along the opening around the neck. And rather than being a tuck-in top, or cinched with elastic along the waist line, these uniforms seem more like an open coat along the hem that's tailored to body type.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:39 PM

Even more set photos are leaking.

We're probably gonna see a lot of stuff like this given LA and the media.

It's interesting to me that the Anaheim Convention Center is Starfleet HQ I guess?
Old 05-16-2019, 04:14 PM
whatever it takes

Actually, this is Picard attending a Star Trek convention.

It's very meta.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
But that doesn't really bare out under scrutiny? "Every time" amounts to twice - the reboot films, and Discovery. The latter of which went to great lengths its first season to separate itself from the TOS era both visually and thematically.
There was also Enterprise.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:03 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

Quote:
Actually, this is Picard attending a Star Trek convention.

It's very meta.
This immediately made me think "Oh, Galaxy Quest but with Patrick Stewart" and now I'm not sure if that's a thing I want or not? I really don't know. Curious to hear more for sure.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
There was also Enterprise.
That's not TOS-era though, it's its own thing. It's as far removed from TOS's time frame as TNG is from TOS. It actually shares more with TNG-era, considering all its time travel elements are the natural progression of several future plot lines from TNG and VOY, and it works as both a prequel AND a sequel.

If you gave me an option for putting a show within a pre-established era, I'd go with ENT easily. It's the least explored time frame, with the most open horizons, and the most dangerous/isolated setting for exploring the great unknown.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:36 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
I don't think so. It certainly is meant to evoke that imagery I'm sure, but there's plenty of small differences I can spot that make it distinct. The DS9/VOY uniforms have the purple turtlenecks underneath which these don't immediately appear to have. The collars on these are far more pronounced. It looks like there are medals or rank pips that run along the top of the color change versus being on the collars like all TNG era uniforms. The insignia/combages look a lot bigger. The department color of the shoulers doesn't cut cleanly across the front of the chest, rather it dips down a bit along the opening around the neck. And rather than being a tuck-in top, or cinched with elastic along the waist line, these uniforms seem more like an open coat along the hem that's tailored to body type.
Looks a lot like the basic Star Trek Online unis to me, actually.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:19 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
This immediately made me think "Oh, Galaxy Quest but with Patrick Stewart" and now I'm not sure if that's a thing I want or not? I really don't know. Curious to hear more for sure.
By Grabthar's hammer... make it so?
Old 05-18-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
Looking forward to seeing some f'real footage!
Here's a tiny leaked clip:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Looks a lot like the basic Star Trek Online unis to me, actually.
It does have some similarities, but it's missing a lot of the trim decorations and flair of those unis.

Tags
engage , mon capitan! , picard , shut up wesley , star trek , tea earl grey hot