The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-15-2019, 11:50 AM

Why does Dracula look like Heatwave?

That honestly looks pretty great to me
Old 05-15-2019, 11:54 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I mean, you wouldn't expect Dracula to wear formal ballroom attire on the Manhattan streets now would you? If anything he should be wearing a backwards ballcap and a pair of parachute pants.
A tuxedo t-shirt, suspenders and a monocle for each eye.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:53 PM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

Yeah, I could see Dracula succeeding in prop comic stand-up.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:39 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I see that screencap and I all can think of is Wrex going "Shepard!" in the Mass Effect series.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:09 PM
Interstellar Private Eye

Hey, I liked Dominic Purcell as Dracula.

Ryan Reynolds and Parker Posey are always fun, and we get to see pomeranian vampires.

Trinity is definitely not a good movie but it's not boring.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:56 PM
ドラキュラの様な奴

I didn't say there was anything wrong with him! All Draculas are good.

That being said, I do enjoy his "oh god, do you think they can smell my fart?" facial expression.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:19 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Yeah, I could see Dracula succeeding in prop comic stand-up.
I bet every review of his show says he “sucks”.

Leaves him feeling pretty blah.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:00 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Why does Dracula look like Heatwave?
I can't tell if you're joking or serious...
Old 05-16-2019, 08:33 AM
Eelection 2019 Info

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Leaves him feeling pretty blah-blah-blah.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:11 PM
This Guy

John Wick 3 is MORE John Wick. It feels like a middle chapter, even more so than the last one. Also the movie is just filled with very good dogs. I think they are running out of ways to go bigger, which is understandable. Lots of shades of Westerns and Samurai movies, and I think I even caught a little Akira in there. Also, I've never felt I needed a spin off more than I do with Halle Berry's Sofia. Though I think that spin off might just be a slightly rearranged Kill Bill.

I don't think John Wick 3 is quite as good as the previous two, but it is still great.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:51 AM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I thought Blade would be campy fun and often it was, but also it's honestly just a fantastic action movie.
Just be glad they didn't end with the blood tornado.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:12 AM
Born in the USA

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
John Wick 3 is MORE John Wick. It feels like a middle chapter, even more so than the last one. Also the movie is just filled with very good dogs. I think they are running out of ways to go bigger, which is understandable. Lots of shades of Westerns and Samurai movies, and I think I even caught a little Akira in there. Also, I've never felt I needed a spin off more than I do with Halle Berry's Sofia. Though I think that spin off might just be a slightly rearranged Kill Bill.

I don't think John Wick 3 is quite as good as the previous two, but it is still great.
Does it tease John Wick 4?
Old 05-17-2019, 06:58 AM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Does it tease John Wick 4?
Heavily.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:20 AM
Are You Sure About That?

If the nicest man in Hollywood wants to star/direct in stylistic action films until he retires, I have no complaints (I like the Wick movies, but I usually wait until they're out on VOD).
Old 05-17-2019, 08:13 AM
It's dog eat dog

I realized that the one-two of John Wick 3 and Bill & Ted 3 next year gives Keanu Reeves the rare distinction of leading three trilogies. Who else has managed to do that?
Old 05-17-2019, 08:27 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonetrope View Post
I realized that the one-two of John Wick 3 and Bill & Ted 3 next year gives Keanu Reeves the rare distinction of leading three trilogies. Who else has managed to do that?
Heck I'm having a hard time thinking of lead actors that have two trilogies. Mel Gibson?
Old 05-17-2019, 08:55 AM
Born in the USA

Sylvester Stallone - Rocky, Rambo, The Expendables
Old 05-17-2019, 08:56 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Michael Fassbender and Clint Eastwood come to mind (the former for the nu-Aliens stuff and 'nu'-X-dudes stuff).
Old 05-17-2019, 08:57 AM
It's dog eat dog

Ooo, good one.

If you expand it to supporting roles you get some fun ones, like Simon Pegg (Trek, M:I, Cornetto).
Old 05-17-2019, 09:00 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Thinking about it more, I guess Fassbender doesn't technically qualify (the third nu-Aliens movie is still in production I think?), but he'll get there eventually.

E: Also counted all the Marvel stuff as one 'series', because despite RDJ and both Chrises getting individual trilogies plus the Avengers movies, they're not separate cinematic properties either.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:21 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Couple others that don't quite fit the rules;

Ben Stiller (Night at the Museum, Meet the Family [think there were three of these?], Zoolander [two movies + SNL appearances])

Vin Diesel (F&TF, xXx, Chronicles of Riddick stuff [two movies, DTV animated dealio, vidya games], Marvel stuff as Groot)

Huh, wonder if there are any other four franchisers out there? I know the Rock's done a bunch of movie+sequels but the only big series he's been a long-term part of is F&TF.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:25 AM
YOU FOOL??

Harrison Ford comes very close (Star Wars, Indiana Jones) but bowed out of the Jack Ryan role after just two Tom Clancy movies.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:56 AM
Born in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Thinking about it more, I guess Fassbender doesn't technically qualify (the third nu-Aliens movie is still in production I think?), but he'll get there eventually.
There's no Alien movie in production right now and future plans might be different since Disney owns it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Vin Diesel (F&TF, xXx, Chronicles of Riddick stuff [two movies, DTV animated dealio, vidya games], Marvel stuff as Groot)
There were actually three Riddick movies, but he was only in two of the XXX movies.

EDIT: Jason Statham - Transporter, Expendables, F&F
Old 05-17-2019, 10:11 AM
Slammaster

Pronouns: He, etc.

I had, for some reason, never seen Q: The Winged Serpent until this week. I love Larry Cohen, I love Michael Moriarty, I love David Carradine. It was a decided hole in my viewing. And... wow, it's really good. Much better than a low-budget movie about a Mesoamerican god/monster showing up in New York has any right to be. And, like, not in that "this is so silly, hahaha" kind of way. Like, this movie is legit, with great performances from pretty much everyone.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:55 AM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerhof View Post
Harrison Ford comes very close (Star Wars, Indiana Jones) but bowed out of the Jack Ryan role after just two Tom Clancy movies.
Just pretend that Air Force One is a Jack Ryan movie.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:27 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

The Favourite is a perfect movie, accomplishing the always wonderful feat of making you simultaneously love and hate all three central characters, empathizing with them all even when they're working at cross purposes with each other or doing genuinely terrible things.

Every shot is a joy to look at, every performer nails it, the costumes and sets are gorgeous.

I imagine the setting probably robs it of an audience because people might assume it would be frumpy and unapproachable and full of itself. But it's an extremely bawdy movie, never sucked up into the spectacle of powdered wigs and elaborate dresses for their own sake, always focused on the violence and raw emotion and power dynamics that are barely concealed by them.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:00 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Fright Night (2011)

I'm not the biggest Tom Holland fan but I found the original Fright Night to be a delight (RHYMES!). Still, it also felt like one of those films open to a fun remake. Sadly, this isn't it. It isn't a completely bad movie but it largely just isn't interesting enough to be called a good one either.

First, while this is supposed to be the "fun" kind of horror movie, there still needed to be some actual scares in it, a fun goosing of the audience. Even some jump scares would be fine (this is the kind of film where they are most welcome). Instead, it is pretty much scare free. There are some kind of cool images and I'm glad that they clearly hired some real contortionists for a surprisingly cool vampire freakout scene (there is a chase in the middle that's actually pretty fun) but nothing actually remotely scary.

Second, the film is largely style-free. It is very polished and its not bad to look at, I guess, but the closest thing it has is some old fashioned "COMIN' AT YA!" 3-D effects. The director has done some good movies but the direction here is pretty uninspired.

Which brings me to third, a lot of talented people involved in this movie but none of them are given enough to do. The closest is David Tennant, playing a douchey Cris Angel-type (I guess, we never actually see him do magic, which seems like it would have been fun to incorporate into his character when he starts fighting vampires), who really gives it his all but can only do so much with the material. Unfortunately, Toni Collete and Imogen Poots fare far worse because their characters are that underdeveloped. Sadly all the female characters are in this one are underdeveloped at best and seem to fall into generic female character category that you would expect about 25 years prior. I mean, all of the characters are kind of weak, but the female characters especially are disappointing. It also surprises me that Marti Noxon wrote this one. She was never my favourite Buffy writer but she's written some good ones and I hear very good things about Sharp Objects. I don't know if her original script was changed or if she just wrote a despairingly generic script but it is an all around bummer that the film is loaded with talent and nothing came together well.

And lastly, I wish it explored some of its themes. It comes a bit close with Colin Ferrell's vampire clearly being a sexual predator but I feel like the first few scenes brought up potential themes of the illusion of "coolness", fear of growing up and sexuality, and toxic masculinity and really did nothing with them.

Its a film I really wish could have brought the sum of its parts together to create a fun horror romp with great actors and interesting themes and it doesn't seem capable of any of it.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:52 AM
Mystery Contraption

Dick Tracy is a film designed to look really cool first and foremost. It's a movie that you look at more than you watch. The color scheme of every single scene was apparently chosen to do the maximum level of damage to a CRT screen; everything is a brighter contrast than Batman '66 could ever hope to achieve.

Second, it's also a film that presents a world where with one single exception, the uglier you are, the more evil you become; Al Pacino is wearing so much make-up an prosthesis as Bigboy I'm surprised he didn't develop permanent spine damage, and he's not even the most drastic example. Furthermore, Al Pacino was far-and-away the most entertaining part of the movie, and every time he wasn't on screen

Dick Tracy himself is a police officer who's overzealous compulsion to uphold the law would make Robocop and Judge Dredd alike ask him to tone it down, yet he has no problem whatsoever in breaking any and all rules that govern how a police officer should behave so long as it means he gets to arrest someone. The best example being the fact that he doesn't really adopt a child so much as he kidnaps him until he becomes a common-law son.

Anyway, the movie looks really cool and has a great soundtrack. And while Warren Beatty and Harrison Ford are too close in age for me to think they’re Loopers, i do think they’re Sliders. Just from a weird episode of Sliders where the same person looks very different.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:19 PM
ドラキュラの様な奴

I learned about Dick Tracy mostly via the Playmates action figure line that tied into the Warren Beatty film, and then via my dad's memories of the newspaper strip. When I got to buy one of the toys, the figure I picked out was The Rodent, a guy with a purple suit and a pointy nose. I don't know why I picked him. There probably weren't a lot of good choices at the pharmacy, which was the only place in town that stocked these figures.

Anyway, I didn't get to see the film until a while after I came home with The Rodent. In it, The Rodent goes down in a hail of bullets within the first ten minutes. At the time, I didn't really understand the concept of "gratuitous cameo." I just wanted to see my action figure guy again. But he was dead. I kinda felt like I'd bet on the wrong horse.

In sum, I'm probably the only person in history whose initial enjoyment of Warren Beatty's Dick Tracy hinged on The Rodent.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:12 PM
Slammaster

Pronouns: He, etc.

John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum is, in my estimation, the 2nd-best Wick, and is probably the best movie I've seen this year. If I may channel my inner-Joe Bob Briggs for a moment, this is a film that contains:

Kung-Fu
Knife-Fu
Gun-Fu
Book-Fu
Axe-Fu
Horse-Fu
Dog-Fu
Motorcycle-Fu
Belt-Fu

(Spoiler tagged just in case you really want to be surprised by how John dispatches innumerable foes.)

Also, good to see Mark Decascos getting a paycheck. Though it does make me sad he didn't get to do more as Jimmy Lee.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , rooster cogburn , several live eels , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road