The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 04-04-2019, 08:27 AM
Senhor Member

The OA: when Riz Ahmed pops the fuck up out of nowhere again>>>
Old 04-04-2019, 08:28 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Congratulations on doing the impossible and making me interested in watching The OA
Old 04-06-2019, 06:13 PM
so exciting!

Groundbreaking musical romcom/examination of mental illness Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is over. the ending was fine but was pretty heavily telegraphed, and looking back at the series as a whole, it probably would have been better if it had been three seasons instead of four, because both season 2 and 4 felt like they spent a lot of time spinning in their wheels.

Paula is the greatest of all time though.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:53 PM
the :motion: stands

Pronouns: He / Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Congratulations on doing the impossible and making me interested in watching The OA
If you do, please post your thoughts. I'd like to know how my Octo-meter is functioning these days.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:54 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
Groundbreaking musical romcom/examination of mental illness Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is over. the ending was fine but was pretty heavily telegraphed, and looking back at the series as a whole, it probably would have been better if it had been three seasons instead of four, because both season 2 and 4 felt like they spent a lot of time spinning in their wheels.

Paula is the greatest of all time though.
Yeah, of the great shows I'm sad to see end this week, You're the Worst stuck the landing a bit better. I enjoyed the special they aired after the finale here, though. That manic grin on White Josh as he danced around was something special.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:20 PM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Good Girls is... a bad TV show.

It's an INTERESTING bad TV show though! Like a really WEIRD sort of bad that just sort of ping-pongs between outright sociopathy, ill-timed humor and a very weird, offbrand form of power fantasy that you think someone might have confused with feminism? Maybe?
Old 04-07-2019, 07:13 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
Yeah, of the great shows I'm sad to see end this week, You're the Worst stuck the landing a bit better. I enjoyed the special they aired after the finale here, though. That manic grin on White Josh as he danced around was something special.
i think part of the joke with White Josh doing that is that the actress who plays Heather never did any of the live show tours, and instead he had to do her parts in Friendtopia and Let's Generalize About Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post

It's an INTERESTING bad TV show though! Like a really WEIRD sort of bad that just sort of ping-pongs between outright sociopathy, ill-timed humor and a very weird, offbrand form of power fantasy that you think someone might have confused with feminism? Maybe?
look when you have retta, mae whitman, and christina hendricks as your leads you don't have to worry about, like, actual narratives or writing, you just coast on the charisma
Old 04-07-2019, 12:14 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
If you do, please post your thoughts. I'd like to know how my Octo-meter is functioning these days.
It's never a bad idea to regularly check to ensure that your Octo-meter is properly calibrated.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:36 PM
Mystery Contraption

Best not to do it yourself; Itís around this time of year that the city sends crews out to every house to make sure their Octometers are calibrated correctly. Let the professionals handle it.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:20 PM
Senhor Member

Quote:

Not watching season 2 bc season 1 was such a bummer for these reasons. Hulu said the first ep would would expire tomorrow but it changed its mind... wily.... great cats, though.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:32 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Best not to do it yourself; Itís around this time of year that the city sends crews out to every house to make sure their Octometers are calibrated correctly. Let the professionals handle it.
Yes, it is both tax and Octometer calibration season.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:26 PM
Mystery Contraption

Second season of The Tick finally dropped!

Ooooooh boooooooy!
Old 04-07-2019, 06:17 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

I thought I had already watched that. Was that some kind of thing where the first season was split up but was still just one season somehow?
Old 04-07-2019, 06:20 PM
Mystery Contraption

Not to my knowledge, but I didnít get Amazon Prime until the start of this year.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:24 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

I am pretty sure I remember watching a bunch of episodes, then having to wait a few months for more to come out. But then, I practically have the memory of JBear so that isn't too reliable.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:26 PM
Senhor Member

That is how the first season dropped, and now the second one is out all at once. Probably. Who can say?
Old 04-09-2019, 07:48 AM
Senhor Member

Dogs of Berlin has so many actual Dogs of Berlin and they are often supposed to be Hard, Aggro Dogs so of course angry barks are just affixed to friendly tail-wagging dogs who are happily hopping on people they want to hang out with. Not a cat to be seen. V. strong theming.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:28 AM
GASP

Pronouns: She/Her

I just rewatched The Middleman and it is an absolute tragedy that this show never got more than twelve episodes. Forget Firefly, this is the show I'd spend a genie wish on to see more of.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:49 AM
Mystery Contraption

Right?!?

At least thereís the comics.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:30 PM
Mystery Contraption

Amazon Prime is also apparently the only way to stream Parks & Recreation in Canada.

Guys, this show is very, very good.

I think I wouldnít be stepping on any toes to call it ďA Really Good ShowĒ
Old 04-14-2019, 03:48 PM
This Guy

Oh God, The Act is too goddamn much.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:31 AM
so exciting!

Hit The CW show Legacies, part of the Vampire Diaries Cinematic Universe: It's vaguely like X-Men or Generation X meets Buffy/Charmed/Supernatural/Whatever, as it is about super powered teenagers going to a super power private school that's basically a mansion with a Monster of the Week structure. The show makes a biggish deal about how the main character, Hope Summers Mikkelsen is a (sigh) tribrid, who's part Vampire, Witch, and Werewolf, but she seems to have like no Vampire powers and she turned into a werewolf, like, once in the first episode and has not displayed the superstrength that defines the other werewolves so??

So anyway, the first episode ended on kind of a fun twist: The normie Dan Humphrey-type who had been our point of view character turned out to be an antagonist, but then the next episode immediately backed down on that because of course it did. Instead the show falls into a pattern of Half Teen Drama and Half Monster of the Week, which is kind of funny because so far they keep having A Witch, or a Werewolf, or a Vampire say, "But Dragons/Gargoyles/Zombies/Whatever aren't real, they're just old stories!"

There's a lot of name dropping that I would probably care about if I had ever seen The Vampire Diaries or The Originals (I also feel like I'd know whether or not the Headmaster and the Sheriff are supposed to be twins or if it's just all white people looking the same)

In Conclusion, It Is A The CW Show.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:24 PM
This Guy

I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson is pretty great. Not only is it really funny, but all the episodes are less than 20 minutes long. I guess I could see its brand of absurdism not being to everyone's taste, but I loved seeing sketches about the Ghost of Christmas Way Future showing up in Scrooge's bedroom to recruit him to shoot space skeletons.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:02 PM
Eelection 2019 Info

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I guess I could see its brand of absurdism not being to everyone's taste, but I loved seeing sketches about the Ghost of Christmas Way Future showing up in Scrooge's bedroom to recruit him to shoot space skeletons.
Honestly despite the hedge that sounds like the perfect pitch to get this forum interested. I know I am.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:02 PM
Cool Guy

Since it probably isnít coming back next year, I want to give props to New Amsterdam for being a hospital show that made the broken healthcare system and itís life ending effects on patients one of, if not THE, central themes of the show. The last episode has the embattled medical director flat out telling the head of the hospital board that America needs socialized medicine.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:37 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Quote:

I think I've half-seen at least half of the second season of this?

The ways in which the show tries to get you to be in the main trio's corner is just so fucking weird.

The main lady who's BEST AT CRIME became a crimelord, lost her family then gained it back, then became a crimelord again (but now with her family). The thing that made her decide to go back to CRIMING IT UP was... the parent-teacher association didn't like her cookies. She managed to escape the FBI by refusing to open the door while she ripped up all her CRIME DOCUMENTS while the FBI was on the other side asking her to let them in so they could take a peek at her crime documents.

The lady who's husband is a cop went from MY HUSBAND HATES ME to MY HUSBAND LOVES ME AND WILL DO CRIME WITH ME to MY HUSBAND IS SAD CUZ OF ALL THOSE CRIMES I HAD HIM do. She admitted to doing crimes to the FBI, but for some reason she's still out and about criming it up.

The kid sister has never had a good idea in her life, is very self-concious about it, can't understand why her non-binary child is upset with her just because she ruined her former husband's new marriage by sleeping with him while his new wife was pregnant, is very upset that the other two keep shooting down her very good ideas like "Do murders" and "Use girl scouts to smuggle drugs", is currently fucking an undercover FBI officer.

Meanwhile the GANG MEMBER is still a crimewizard/racist stereotype.

I'm kinda amazed how hard it is to find people with shit to say about this show. It's such a bizarre trainwreck, you'd think there'd be whole swaths of the internet trying to break down it's fucking deranged attempts at messaging and going "what the fuck is even" after every new episode. Most big media websites don't even have reviews for it.

I sincerely doubt anyone cares about this mess enough for it to get a third season, but I'm really hoping it does, just so it can limp around confusedly picking random crimes out of the new Hampshire Penal Code, going nowhere and accomplishing nothing
Old 05-15-2019, 06:51 AM
This Guy

It might not be your intention BEAT, but you are making me want to watch it.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:08 PM
Mystery Contraption

Iím about midway through Parks & Rec. this is tragic because it means that now Iím running out of Parks & Rec to watch.

Also, the show gives me weird conflicting emotions of being slightly more crushed that Aziz Ansari wound up being a sucky jerk in real life, and also thinking that, considering his arc in the show, it really isnít surprising at all.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:17 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

I finally finished watching Halt and Catch Fire. I think this show flew under the radar when it first started and never really recovered an audience, but I loved it. The first season is probably the weakest overall but the show always improves in every season, and at a lean 10-episode 4-season count it doesn't overstay its welcome either.

Lee Pace, Mackenzie Davis, and Scoot McNairy (and later Kerry Bishe) all really get to live their characters and they all have amazing chemistry with each other, which is the key to the whole show because that's what it's About. If you have any interest in the history of personal computing or the internet, and/or people's relationship to technology, then I highly recommend watching this.

Tags
bingewatch purgatory , fear of new threads , sex house , television