The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 02-15-2018, 09:58 AM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
This is the only part of the movie I saw as a kid and it gave me nightmares for a month. Then I watched the whole thing and felt a little silly.
We could probably have a whole thread of movie things that scared us, or other children we knew. The one I specifically remember: in the '70s Willy Wonka movie*, where Augustus Gloop falls into the chocolate lake, and there's a brief bit where you see him yelling for help as he gets stuck in a transparent pipe. I'm not sure if I was afraid of him drowning, or if Wonka said something about that pipe going to the manufacturing floor and Augustus being made into candy, but my parents had to retrieve me crying from my bedroom to show me that he had lived.

*probably also in the remake, which I haven't seen

Dahl's stuff is nightmare fodder just in general. In my admittedly biased opinion.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:02 AM
FUCK IT FUCK IT SHIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosewood View Post
Dahl's stuff is nightmare fodder just in general. In my admittedly biased opinion.
naw man I don't think you're gonna get a lot of argument on that point.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:50 AM
Starts with your heart

Roald Dahl’s first book was based on his experiences fighting the RAF’s holding action at Haifa. Not a dude interested in sugarcoating the world.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:54 AM
charlotte is mai waifu

Little wonder he disliked the movie adaptation, then, eh
Personally I've always thought an erudite Satan-figure is the most interesting kind and may prefer the movie to the book
Old 02-17-2018, 08:09 AM
hidden in snow

Watched Coco. Beautiful movie. Bawled through the last third.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:00 PM
Mystery Contraption

Boy was I looking forward to Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets and boy oh boy was that anticipation not justified. It felt a lot like The Fifth Element, except I hated every single character and the plot took forever to go nowhere. Seriously, it still felt like it was gearing up near the end of it, and about half the movies run time were spent with the two leads trying to rescue one another from fairly mild troubles.

On the plus side, John Goodman as a Jabba the Hutt and Rihanna as Metroid Prime played their parts well, for the short time they had on screen.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:19 PM
Out Of Warranty

The Shape of Water was pure Del Toro - down to the monster being a real monster, but also one of the most human characters in the film, and the antagonist being a monster in human skin with just the right ticks to make him completely unlikable without turning him into a mustache-twirling Gaston. Beautiful film, it left my heart tied in knots. And Doug Jones is a national treasure.

By the way, I find funny that the color palette and art direction make it look almost like a Cuaron film - the tracking shot at the beginning felt almost Cuaronesque.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:05 PM
Space dad

Black Panther was excellent. The only real quibble I had was with the "Erik kills his girlfriend to show the audience how evil he is" moment, which struck me as the only lazy and cheap moment in the film.

Last edited by Sarcasmorator; Yesterday at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:33 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Boy was I looking forward to Valerian: City of a Thousand Planets and boy oh boy was that anticipation not justified. It felt a lot like The Fifth Element, except I hated every single character and the plot took forever to go nowhere. Seriously, it still felt like it was gearing up near the end of it, and about half the movies run time were spent with the two leads trying to rescue one another from fairly mild troubles.

On the plus side, John Goodman as a Jabba the Hutt and Rihanna as Metroid Prime played their parts well, for the short time they had on screen.
Pretty much this, yep.

On the bright side, it made me retroactively love Jupiter Ascending even more, which I didn't think was possible!
Old Yesterday, 02:28 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
Pretty much this, yep.

On the bright side, it made me retroactively love Jupiter Ascending even more, which I didn't think was possible!
Both movies made this happen to Fifth Element for me.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , wild speed: sky mission , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road