The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-29-2017, 01:05 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I can't believe the fifth stratum is Phantasy Star.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:26 PM
does the Underpants Dance

I'm still mostly spinning my wheels in the 3rd Stratum. I stalled out when Master trees unlocked because I felt like I needed to change someone's class. I finally landed on replacing my Elemancer with a Blade Dancer, so my team is now:

Phantom Duelist/Chain Duelist/Blade Dancer
Hound Rover/Shaman

The overall synergy is to enchant everyone's weapons with whatever element using the Shaman, and then the Blade Dancer can start triggering Chain attacks. I don't think it really comes together until I get enough of a boost to the MAX followups for the Chain skills though, and the elemental buff only works on basic attacks so the Blade Dancer's multi-hit attack skills don't actually work for that. But they're still pretty useful to kill things in random battles.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:46 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Does this game ever get, you know, good?

I've put well over 500 hours into this series and found something to love in each entry (yes, even II), but I'm at the end of the first stratum and I'm just burned out already. The music is boring (maybe the FM versions will help?), the new map mechanics are nice but not essential, the mismatched fonts are driving me nuts.

Help me stick with it, Talking Time.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:51 PM
Love is OGR

I haven't gone past the first stratum or even seen all of it, but at that point the most appealing things about the game were the character portrait customization and the little narrative bookend report cards for interacting with the dungeon and its inhabitants.

I feel you on the fonts. I don't think the series ever really looked as good on the user interface front as with the tremendously sharp menus and typographies of the DS-based games.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:25 PM
I have a Plan

Pugilists can perform incredibly huge dunks.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:07 AM
Time for singing

God, the 3rd stratum was a massive drag, wasn’t it? You’d think a spooky graveyard would be pretty cool, but it was just an ugly slog.

I’m about halfway through the 4th stratum now, and I kind of feel like Etrian Odyssey 4 is still my favorite in the series. The stuff with the blimp and the overworld felt a lot more interesting? And it meant that each “stratum” had double the music. I really hope they decide to go back to that style in the future.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:55 AM
Nothing is more powerful

Open-world Etrian Odyssey
Old 01-03-2018, 08:59 AM
Fishing for Felbloom

I ended up preferring IV to V, but I hated the vehicle overworlds and hope they never return. Give me the single interconnected dungeon every time.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:59 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
I ended up preferring IV to V, but I hated the vehicle overworlds and hope they never return. Give me the single interconnected dungeon every time.
I think I need something to break up the dungeon crawling. V isn’t really gelling with me line III and IV did.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:50 PM

OK but what if there were a single megadungeon in the form of a tower, but rather than geo-poles you just periodically broke out onto new awnings and cleaned them up enough to dock your airship that otherwise just swings around the exterior of the whole thing?
Old 01-03-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
OK but what if there were a single megadungeon in the form of a tower, but rather than geo-poles you just periodically broke out onto new awnings and cleaned them up enough to dock your airship that otherwise just swings around the exterior of the whole thing?
That's....

Pretty cool actually.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:19 AM
Bertolli?!?...

That does sound super cool, but not as cool as what I initially misread "awnings" as:

Old 01-16-2018, 08:46 AM
Sudden chomper

Finally got around to beating the third stratum boss - not in the sense that it took me a lot of tries, but in that I had been kind of stalled and wasn't playing the game as much. I actually wound up enjoying the fight, because my Fencer finally got to put Chain All to good use. That skill tends to be overkill for regular random encounters (and it takes too long to set up anyway), but it was the perfect antidote to the constant summoning that the boss was doing. Once I realized how his phases were organized, I could roughly predict when he was going to summon and prepare the round before. Beat him on my third try and it wasn't even close. Found my way to the next stratum and just started exploring Macalania Woods.

I still think this is a solid entry in the series - much like Balrog, I'd put it behind I and III but ahead of II and IV. I like the new classes and all the cool things you can do with summoned allies. My only worry is that my party seems to be fully developed now and I'm not sure my tactics are going to change from here to the end of the game. But at least the labyrinth is well-designed and there are lots of interesting puzzles and encounters on every floor.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:04 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I still think this is a solid entry in the series - much like Balrog, I'd put it behind I and III but ahead of II and IV. I like the new classes and all the cool things you can do with summoned allies. My only worry is that my party seems to be fully developed now and I'm not sure my tactics are going to change from here to the end of the game. But at least the labyrinth is well-designed and there are lots of interesting puzzles and encounters on every floor.
I ran into a similar issue with my tactics where I figured out early on what I wanted to do. I tend to spend my points on offensive stuff then regret not making a more defensive build when it came to bosses.

I was pretty pleased with my build at the end but I had a few instances where my Harbinger used Judgment on a boss and it put it to sleep (nice!) but wiped out the poison state (dammit!). So I kinda wish I would have put zero points into Judgment.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:23 PM
:3

I finally started actually playing this recently after sitting on it since getting it for Christmas, but dang, I feel pretty clueless about party comp in this one. I'm going P/M/D/R/N because those are the classes that looked the most interesting to me, but I'm not too confident that it's actually a very viable combination. Three pet classes is probably too many honestly, and I'm not confident having two off-healers(hound for single target heals, wraith for party heals) will work as well as one dedicated healer. The Pugilist and Masurao seem fine so far, but I'm a little at a loss as to what kind of synergy this team can have.

Tips or suggestions, TT EO gurus? I figure I can solve the problem of too many pets by gritting my teeth and speccing the Dragoon with a bunker-less build, but as for everyone else I'm not sure how to distribute those skills points.

Also, some Necromancer thoughts: I love the concept of this class, but it seems like until you invest serious points into the passive skills that auto-rez your wraiths, they're not super useful on a turn-by-turn basis, since you have to spend every other turn or so on upkeep. The wraith auto-attack seems fairly worthless(at first anyway), and the Necromancer's own physical attacks are pretty garbo too, so I'm not sure why I wouldn't want to just spend their turn sacrificing a wraith as long as one is available. Is that accurate, or am I missing something here?
Old 02-09-2018, 03:02 AM

I have never finished an EO game with a totally dedicated healer in my party. Even in the original, by the end I'd respec'd my medic into a frontliner throwing down caduceus regularly.

So you're probably fine.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:39 AM
Sudden chomper

I've been using a combination of necromancer heals and HP gained from shaman prayers and it's been working pretty well. If you have a brouni in your party, they can learn a race skill called Hygieia's Bowl that gives you a full-party heal, resurrects one dead character and removes all ailments. Typically, when things go badly for me it's because a monster has done catastrophic damage to one or multiple characters in the same turn, so having better healing wouldn't help as much as having someone or something to soak up that damage.

Still plugging away at this very slowly. I'm a few floors into the 4th stratum and my team is getting by OK, but I have some quests that involve dealing with 3rd stratum FOEs and so far those aren't going well at all. Not quite sure if I need to change my tactics or just grind a bit right now. I'm opting to push farther into the dungeon, since that'll get me a level or two and maybe open up some good gear for purchase.

Tags
atlas , atlus , eo from myth to laughter , etrian odyssey