The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 04-11-2014, 10:37 AM
There he is!

Hawaiian is definitely my favourite pizza, as long as it isn't cubed ham. That shit's gross as hell.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:53 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekun View Post
What place is this? I used to live in Manchester and still have friends there who I visit when I'm back in the US.
I hadda look it up, but it's Randy's Wooster Street Pizza. They also have a location in Storrs.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:28 PM
We just don't know.

Hawaiian pizza was invented in Canada, and is the most popular pizza by far in Australia and New Zealand.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Banned

Anyone else think Round Table has slipped in recent years? Their sauce isn't as thick and flavorful, their cheese is thin, toppings sparser... they must have had to cut back on gourmet to save costs? It's bullshit.

Old 04-12-2014, 04:16 PM

There was a crazy good seasonal curry pizza at Pizza-La around this time last year. I mean it was basically a giant naan with curry sauce and diced vegetables, topped with cheese.

I used to work for a pizza place that had some confusing names for their pizza styles. Regular pizza was the best in the town by far, then they had "Chicago style" (garlic butter and actual tomato slices on the crust) and I think the other was called "Chicago pie" or "Chicago deep dish" and was like an actual pizza pie. At that place I learned that the frozen pizza brands in the US are dirty liars with their suggested baking instructions. 450F and like 6-8 minutes is way better than the lower temperature and longer time they write on the back of the box.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:55 AM
..and his little cat, too

Something I've become curious about is a double-dough pizza. I know the gist, but can anyone explain or recommend it? How does it differ from a pan pizza?

Is it a common thing to order, or will only certain places do it? I'm wondering if I can order one from anywhere in Toronto...
Old 04-13-2014, 02:27 AM

I wish I could remember exactly what it was I used to make those thicker crusts, but it wasn't more dough. It was just something extra in how I prepared it before baking. The dough amount was the same as it was for any other kind of pizza, but it takes on that shape/consistency because of how we baked it.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:33 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
I plan on making this-a one on Saturday, with some thinly-sliced spanish chorizo in lieu of pepperoni.
So it turned out pretty good!

Though it was my first time using my new perforated pizza pan, and I think I did something wrong? Maybe I put the dough on too early but by the time it was cooked some of it had squeezed down through the holes before it cooked and it was kind of tough to get out.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:14 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

Hard to go wrong with chorizo.

Really, all kinds of cured meats work great on pizza, not just the traditional pepperoni or Italian sausage. When I was in Italy years ago I had a ton of pizza with prosciutto on it.

Around here there's a fancy-ish joint that does a pizza with slices of pork belly, baked just to the point where some of it is still soft and chewy and some of the fatty parts have turned into crisp pork crackling.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:13 PM
gatchapon 3*

Pronouns: he/him

my all time favorite pizza was pesto with artichoke hearts, almond slivers and sun dried tomatoes.

closely behind, thinly sliced grilled japanese eggplant, feta cheese, and balsamic.

basically, i like california style pizzas, with all sorts of non-traditional toppings. if nothing else, it gives tons of variety for vegetarians.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:10 PM
heh

Last night we got an interesting one from the local 'gourmet' chain.

Roasted beet slices, spinach, bocconcini, with a harissa and hummus base, sprinkled with walnuts. It was really interesting, but not something I could eat on its own. Needed a few slices of something a little more traditional to balance it out.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:16 PM

You guys are going to leave me hanging on this one, aren't you? =(
Old 04-13-2014, 05:52 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
I don't even know what you're talking about

We ordered Uno's to our hotel room tonight because we're in Florida and not NY so that's probably the best we're getting, jeer all you want but that stuff is a-ok
Old 04-13-2014, 06:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
Ok, when I worked at Round Table there was something called the Big Vinnie that came out and it was amazing. They rereleased it years later but they massively skimped on the recipe and the second iteration was disappointing. But. I think this 'double dough' thing you're talking about might be how we prepped the dough?

We took the trimmings from the previous day's pizza dough cuts and refridgerated them all night, then the next day I'd mix half fresh and half the older, stiffer dough to make Big Vinnie dough. It came out... denser than regular dough? The breading was less leavened maybe, idk, fewer bubbles or something. Anyway it was basically amazing.

That's all I got though! I've never heard of Double Dough Pizza before this thread.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:31 PM
Renegade Game Councelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guild View Post
Ok, when I worked at Round Table there was something called the Big Vinnie that came out and it was amazing. They rereleased it years later but they massively skimped on the recipe and the second iteration was disappointing. But. I think this 'double dough' thing you're talking about might be how we prepped the dough?

We took the trimmings from the previous day's pizza dough cuts and refridgerated them all night, then the next day I'd mix half fresh and half the older, stiffer dough to make Big Vinnie dough. It came out... denser than regular dough? The breading was less leavened maybe, idk, fewer bubbles or something. Anyway it was basically amazing.

That's all I got though! I've never heard of Double Dough Pizza before this thread.

Since I was the other dough roller who worked there at the same time as you, I can make some corrections. The leftover dough thing was just what we did with all the dough in general and had nothing to do with the Big Vinnie in particular. What was special about the BV was that we used the amount of dough for a large pizza but stretched it over an extra large pan to make it thin, then we spread a white sauce around the edge of the dough and folded it over so it would be inside the crust. The pepperoni was bigger, too. God, I loved that pizza.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guild View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosencrantz View Post
Since I was the other dough roller who worked there at the same time as you, I can make some corrections. The leftover dough thing was just what we did with all the dough in general and had nothing to do with the Big Vinnie in particular. What was special about the BV was that we used the amount of dough for a large pizza but stretched it over an extra large pan to make it thin, then we spread a white sauce around the edge of the dough and folded it over so it would be inside the crust. The pepperoni was bigger, too. God, I loved that pizza.
Neat stuff, thanks!
Old 04-14-2014, 12:41 AM
heh

So apparently the World Pizza Championships happened and they decided the world's best margherita is from right here in Melbourne.

I've been past his place plenty of times, but I've never been in to eat. I suppose I'll have to try it now, if this success doesn't make the place impossible to get a seat in.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosencrantz View Post
God, I loved that pizza.
I feel like you could make a pizza place that served ONLY THOSE and make billions of billions of dollars (off of me, I would pay them billions, I would rob banks) augagugugu we'll never get one again noooo

also, i thought original was the mix and fresh was for pan crust (or whichever was thick crust?)

Maybe that's what double dough means? When the crust is not all thin and New Yorky?
Old 04-14-2014, 06:04 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekun View Post
Pizza is the only food I will drink orange soda with. Artificial fruit flavoured sodas and pizza are made for each other.

Halfway through this post I realised I don't think grape soda even exists in Australia and now I want to cry, thanks a lot Wolfgang
Larry Hama has been lying to me all these years...?

Anwyay, question: have we accurately determined the best method to re-heat pizza (regular, not deep dish; it's clinically proven to be impossible to re-heat deep dish)? This came up the other day and someone suggested a frying pan, which... I don't know how that would work vis a vis the toppings.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:33 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

A frying pan is absolutely the best way to re-heat pizza.

I don't know why you would need to though, cold pizza is the best thing on earth. The other day I was short on foil, so I stacked three slices together. When I took it out the next day they were fused together, so I just ate all three as a stack. It was super good, you guys.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:57 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I need my cheese gooey and the toppings with a bit of sizzle. I'm a snob like that.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:24 AM
For blood and gold

I've already demonstrated in previous threads my snobbiness with regards to pizza, so instead I'll focus on personal tastes:

Meat on pizza rarely works for me. It is almost always either too oily or too dry. Every time I get excited for some type of meat on a pizza and try, it is never better than fine for me. Now veggies - veggies are where pizza toppings are at. Roast them and then finish the roasting on top of the pizza and it is just divine - spinach, broccoli, asparagus, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, onions, yum yum yum yum yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
I need my cheese gooey and the toppings with a bit of sizzle. I'm a snob like that.
Yeah, me too. I want my cheese hot and gooey and my crust crusty - I actually think reheating in the oven is fine, but I'll try a cast iron skillet next time.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:27 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Try stir-frying or roasting the meat in with the veggies before putting it on the pizza - the veggies absorb enough of the oiliness to balance everything out.

(Doesn't work with peppers, though - not porus enough)
Old 04-14-2014, 11:55 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
Yeah, me too. I want my cheese hot and gooey and my crust crusty - I actually think reheating in the oven is fine, but I'll try a cast iron skillet next time.
I like to re-heat mine in the oven on bake for a few minutes (after pre-heating the oven). Then I put it on the top rack and broil it for a minute to get the cheese "hot and gooey". That doesn't work with every pizza though so I have to check after the initial baking. I also put foil over the outer crust so it doesn't burn or get too crunchy.

I don't see how people can stand cold pizza. That sounds like the ravings and behaviors of a madman.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:24 PM
It's dog eat dog

You just gotta like cold food in general, like Chinese leftovers (rice excepted). Though I usually reheat deep-dish, which doesn't pass the fridge test in my experience.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:03 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
The other day I was short on foil, so I stacked three slices together. When I took it out the next day they were fused together, so I just ate all three as a stack. It was super good, you guys.
I didn't absorb this earlier, but this is how we all ate pizza in Grade 4 when we'd get cold leftover slices for lunch.

Theory: Hawaiian actually tastes significantly better when cold.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:53 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
I didn't absorb this earlier, but this is how we all ate pizza in Grade 4 when we'd get cold leftover slices for lunch.

Theory: Hawaiian actually tastes significantly better when cold.
Ham is a cured lunchmeat, pineapple is a fruit, both frequently eaten room temperature or cold. Cheese is always good in any state. I can see it.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:26 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I went over to a friend's place to make pizza tonight. The one I made had red sauce, mozzarella, cheddar, pepperoni, salami, and cucumber. It was pretty dang good!
Old 04-21-2014, 08:36 AM
It's dog eat dog

I neglected to take a photo but I made a pizza on par with Berkeley's Cheese Board last night, I swear to god. It's this one using the "magic dough" from River Cottage Veg; rolled out correctly the dough forms a very similar crust to theirs.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Chaotic Good

Pronouns: he / him

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Hard to go wrong with chorizo.

Really, all kinds of cured meats work great on pizza, not just the traditional pepperoni or Italian sausage. When I was in Italy years ago I had a ton of pizza with prosciutto on it.
Yeah, well, it's hard to go wrong with prosciutto, too.

Tags
'za , put it on the pizzaaaaaaa