The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 02-05-2018, 08:06 AM
SHARPIE VANDAL

Default Can't remember the name of this OVA I saw saturday night.

What was the name of the 3 Part OVA from Saturday's Outerheaven? Because that shit FUCKED ME UP.

Ok so it's your standard Narnia situation, right? Some dude named Chris (seriously) is magically transported to a fantasy world of Swords and Sorcery and Dragons and fairies and shit where everybody is like "AH THE PROPHESIED WARRIOR THAT WILL SAVE OUR LAND FROM [GENERIC EVIL] and he's immediately able to fuck up a bunch of orc-monsters without any sword training and has magic wings on his ankles. This is all very standard MODERN NORMAL KID BECOMES FANTASY WORLD HERO shit, NBD.

PLOT TWIST: Normal Chris is Also still is modern world. There are like two normal boys, or like his soul is split between dimensions or something. So there's two Chris's, and they share some kind of inter-dimensional link, because they're the same person. So any Bruises that Fantasy Chris gets fighting demons will show up on normal Chris and anything Normal Chris knows fantasy Chris will also know. They take advantage of this by having normal Chris Read up on how to make gunpowder so Fantasy Chris can get an edge on the evil empire he's up against by creating exploding weapons. Ok, Clever! Not a bad idea.

So the magical nature of the show has got me thinking I kinda know how this is gonna play out. Like fantasy Chris is really made out of Chris's Eternal Soul or something, this is like a spiritual journey of some sort and at the end Fantasy Chris will save the day, End the war and return to normal Chris re-combining into TRUE Chris who is now a little more grown up.

WRONG.

Fantasy Chris's adventure started with him fighting obviously inhuman monsters. That lasted like 5 minutes. Ever since he and the army he's basically got drafted into has been fighting another army of humans. Humans who are not nice people with big evil plans and shit, but humans all the same. And they don't really seem to be getting any closer to a big showdown against the SOURCE OF ALL EVIL anytime soon either. So he's basically gone from EPIC HERO OF ANOTHER WORLD to relatively gifted soldier who's seeing a lot of combat.

Meanwhile Normal Chris is hanging out with his friends at the pool.

After a very big fight against some douche in golden armor, Normal Chris gets back to camp to find that the rest the ragtag army has captured another enemy combatant alive! It's now Chris's "honor" to execute a defenseless, chained-up man lying in the dirt!

Meanwhile Normal Chris is taking a nap.

We don't SEE Fantasy Chris stab that man to death. We just see him hunched between the tents vomiting his guts out in disgust over what he's just done. The rest of his group walks past him mocking him for his hesitation to murder a defenseless captive! This is Fantasy Chris's life now!

Meanwhile Normal Chris is riding a motorcycle with his girlfriend, excited about all the sex they're going to have tonight. He no longer seems physically affected by injuries Fantasy Chris sustains. He's not bothered by Fantasy Chris's severe mental trauma. He might be still be able to whip out magic ankle wings maybe IDFK. He has learned nothing from this experience.

Then the show just ends. It's over.

So yeah I'm trying to remember the name because HO-LEE MOTHER OF FUCKER WHAT EVEN WAS THAT.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:13 AM
Better be the real thing.

Garzey's Wing. Somehow it was my first guess even though all I've seen of it is a Youtube review, but I checked Wikipedia, and yes, that does look like an accurate description. The protag's name is even Chris.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:19 AM
Video Monster

I remember seeing that in high school when my best friend was buying up whatever OVAs he could find at Suncoast with a seemingly unlimited supply of cash. Most of them were bad.

IIRC Garzey's Wing is tangentially related to some well-known anime, maybe Dunbine?
Old 02-05-2018, 08:26 AM
Better be the real thing.

Same creator: Yoshiyuki Tomino.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:29 AM
Safe Space

There's a convenient way to find out what's on the Outer Heaven schedule each week.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:31 AM
SHARPIE VANDAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
Garzey's Wing. Somehow it was my first guess even though all I've seen of it is a Youtube review, but I checked Wikipedia, and yes, that does look like an accurate description. The protag's name is even Chris.
THAT WAS IT.

Holy shit that show was so fucking weird.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:23 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
I remember seeing that in high school when my best friend was buying up whatever OVAs he could find at Suncoast with a seemingly unlimited supply of cash. Most of them were bad.

IIRC Garzey's Wing is tangentially related to some well-known anime, maybe Dunbine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
Same creator: Yoshiyuki Tomino.
He's also the primary creator of Gundam. Like George Lucas, he's considered the father of the franchise, and also like Lucas he is the weight around it's neck. Sunrise moved him on to other projects in the early 90s.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:25 AM
Find Your Reason

Garzey's Wing is so, so, so unbelievably bad at everything (dub, plot, dub, characterization, dub, animation, dub, storytelling, dub, and even basic perspective) that once it was introduced to the Bad Anime! Bad! panel in the convention circuit, it never left. It is prime MST fodder and hilarious all on its own.

Its relation to Dunbine is that Tomino intended to use Byston Well as a setting to his mythopoeia. After Garzey, you can see how that idea never took off.

And neither did his mythopoeia.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
He's also the primary creator of Gundam. Like George Lucas, he's considered the father of the franchise, and also like Lucas he is the weight around it's neck. Sunrise moved him on to other projects in the early 90s.
I've gotta vehemently disagree. Mostly because this summation implies that 1) Turn-A Gundam isn't worth noting/is the Star Wars prequels of this analogy, and 2) that Gundam has moved on to better things outside of his stewardship (it hasn't).
Old 02-05-2018, 12:22 PM
SHARPIE VANDAL

I seriously can't get over the whole "You go to fantasy world and immediately start suffering as no one should suffer while growing ever more resentful of the alternate version of yourself who is currently having sex with your girlfriend" aspect.

Just

What the FUCK man.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:24 PM
Mystery Contraption

One of the only shorts in ABCs of Death that didn’t make me want to throw up in revulsion had this as nearly the exact same premise.

So that’s some nice synchroncity
Old 02-05-2018, 12:26 PM

Byston Well is basically the afterlife, so ya.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:45 PM
oh my car

The thing that stuck out about this to me was that the dub consists entirely of yelling. There is not a single line that isn't shouted, no matter the context.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:54 PM
charlotte is mai waifu

DAMN! YOU'RE SO EASYGOING!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2018, 02:11 PM
Video Monster

The aforementioned high school BFF was adamant that we only ever watch anime in dubbed form, so I'm sure I experienced this one in that way. Which is good because I guess if you're gonna watch bad anime, you might as well watch it as badly as possible.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:01 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
The aforementioned high school BFF was adamant that we only ever watch anime in dubbed form, so I'm sure I experienced this one in that way. Which is good because I guess if you're gonna watch bad anime, you might as well watch it as badly as possible.

...wait, what?

Old 02-05-2018, 04:02 PM
I. Love. It.

I knew exactly what BEAT was talking about the second he said magic wings on ankles and I've never even seen the damn thing.

Garzey's Wing is just legendarily bad.

I DID see the review by Bennett the Sage and The Spoony One waaaaaaay back when. Back when Channel Awesome was in its heyday, if it ever had one of those.

Last edited by SpoonyBardOL; 02-05-2018 at 04:06 PM. Reason: But did they ever send the Duragarolls to Gabajuju? I have to know.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:53 PM

I'm spellbound by Garzey's Wing, because there's no way it's as bad as people make it out to be, but it's probably still objectively bad. And I imagine I'll probably love it like I also loved Brain Powerd, which the internet told me was a burning trash-pile, and it kinda was, but actually turned out to be fascinating and amazing.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:14 AM

I love Garzey's Wings. I've seen it 3 times now. My fave part is when Chris in the real world attempts to explain how to make guns to fantasy Chris and then it never comes to anything. Beautiful.

I'm a huge fan of Tomino's works and watching Garzey's Wings is bizarre because you can see all the usual Tomino stuff except it's devoid of any soul, basically. It's like he just put it together as quickly as possible and then tried to move on. I wouldn't be surprised if there were stories of production being all fucked up.

Tags
anime , keyboard vomit from beat