The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-05-2018, 08:42 AM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Went ahead and picked up World of Final Fantasy today; was pleasantly surprised to find the game was actually $20 when it was rung up instead of being $40 like it was displayed as. On the one hand, much like Torment: Tides of Numenera before it, I feel a little guilty for getting such a steal on the Day One Edition.* But on the other hand, "Holy shit I got WoFF Day One for $20 this is awesome!"

Anyway, expect pictures of itty bitty 3D versions of locales from past Final Fantasy games over in the designated FF thread in the near future.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:38 AM
so exciting!

if we all believe in our heart of hearts, and i mean really truly believe, this will end up being a real game and not a bad mobile title like the previous two katamari damacy entries
Old 09-07-2018, 01:12 PM

195 Rapid-Fire Questions About Call Of Duty's Blackout

Quote:
Ben Hanson: Are you guys really launching in October just to get ahead of Red Dead Redemption 2? Is that a consideration?
David Vonderhaar: *chuckles* Is that a thing people say?
Ben Hanson: YES EVERYONE SAYS THAT
David Vonderhaar: Oh. I don't know, I just make the shoes.

Ben Hanson, gesturing with his right hand lowering onto his left hand:
Quote:
Alright, if this is the ground, and this is the boot, you tell me when to stop.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:26 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
if we all believe in our heart of hearts, and i mean really truly believe, this will end up being a real game and not a bad mobile title like the previous two katamari damacy entries
All I want them to do is remaster the first game and make it playable on PC. Same stages, same music, just higher resolution and a nice smooth framerate. Please be that, I would be so happy.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:48 PM
:O

Quote:

name is a bit on the nose for a gatcha game
Old 09-08-2018, 03:39 AM
:tweet:

Mewburn! :mews:
Old 09-09-2018, 08:38 PM
BAG

So we all know they put Rabbit-Eared Marge in The Simpsons arcade game, right? I just found out you automatically change your attack direction if somebody crosses-up.
Try it for yourself, turn your back to a guy and press attack.

Last edited by Ghost from Spelunker; 09-10-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:43 AM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

I've been playing the Battlefield 5 open beta. This one is set in WW2 and every time the game puts on me on the German side, I have to give it the side eye. I hope I win the match, of course, but I'm not rooting for my side on principle.

As far as the game itself, I hope the relative lack of equipment is due to being a beta. Battlefield's whole schtick lies with the umpteen kinds of weapons and vehicles available and this one feels even more anemic than BF1, which was based on WW1. Seems like there'd be more...stuff.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:58 PM
so exciting!

Quote:

Old 09-10-2018, 02:34 PM
Fifth Business

I have determined that it is AN UNFAIR OUTRAGE that Alundra 2 has been dismissed and reviled just because no sequel has ever had less in common with the game it puts a number after. This game is an absolute charmer.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:33 PM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deptford View Post
I have determined that it is AN UNFAIR OUTRAGE that Alundra 2 has been dismissed and reviled just because no sequel has ever had less in common with the game it puts a number after. This game is an absolute charmer.
Alundra 1:Alundra 2::Chrono Trigger:Chrono Cross

Which is to say, good games on their own but they should have named them something else entirely.

(I will admit a soft spot for the mischievous-anything-goes naming convention in these games, like it's the late 80s and no one knows what a sequel is supposed to look like.)

Edit: And yes, I know CC has narrative connections to CT. They still vastly different to me.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:10 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Alundra 1:Alundra 2::Chrono Trigger:Chrono Cross

Which is to say, good games on their own but they should have named them something else entirely.

(I will admit a soft spot for the mischievous-anything-goes naming convention in these games, like it's the late 80s and no one knows what a sequel is supposed to look like.)
That works in terms of sequels, but in terms of tone I'd say Alundra 1:Alundra 2::Chrono Cross:Chrono Trigger. Or Grandia 2:Grandia 1.

Not Final Fantasy Tactics:Final Fantasy Tactics Advance though, which I almost used. While I still consider FFTA lighter in tone than the game where the main-ish villain* is a jerkass uses a magic rock to turn into a furry and maul his own son to death, I remember our own Deptford (I think) did a mini series of sorts on how Marche is basically one big Fun Ruiner trying to make his friends and family leave their storybook fantasy world of alive moms, not being crippled, and different natural hair colors and face dumb ol' stupid reality again.

* Ultima's the main villain, but is one of those "pops up at the last second" bosses like Zeromus and Necron. Folmarv's the one who's actively doing a lot of the Evil Shit (R) in the game.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:28 PM

Alundra 2 is weird as hell and a serious departure from what came before it. Still didnít prevent me from playing it, and enjoying it when I had bought it upon its release.

Itís campy af but I remember it being mechanically solid with most of your time spent in Zelda-esque Dungeons. I also remember there being a ton of mini-games, and it even had 2D side scrolling levels within its 3D engine.

Last edited by Belmont; 09-10-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:17 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Well that explains the viral campaign.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:07 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Donut County was a fun little game.
It absolutely is! It's also blissfully short, so you can wrap it up in a couple hours, and I don't think it's even possible to lose a stage (other than the "boss battle" at the very end) so it's perfect for unwinding and enjoying the extraordinarily Katamari-esque mood. (Heck, between the graphics, the humor, the hilariously mean Trashopedia entries, and the surrealism, it IS Katamari: The Hole, and I'm not surprised that there's a King of All Raccoons at the end.)

It definitely satisfies my need for a new Katamari until Keita Takahashi's own Wattam hits stores later this year. And between Donut County and Wattam, I definitely appreciate this wave of "charming, pass the time just having fun" games that literally anyone can play. I double-dipped on DC for PS4 and Steam, and would absolutely love to have it on mobile. It's the perfect little-kid game.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:04 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
It's the perfect little-kid game.
It's definitely teaching my kids the difference between slow and fast movements on an analog stick.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:32 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Pronouns: He / Him

So this interesting glitch happened while I was dicking around in Photo Mode in Spider-Man...
Old 09-13-2018, 07:47 PM
boku girl

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her

My copy of Crypt of the Necrodancer on Switch is seemingly irreversably bugged, even if I reinstall. So far all I've noticed is definitely wrong is that the text on the loading screen is messed up and there are no sound effects at all, but I dunno what things I had attributed to the game's idiosyncrasies are actually due to this weird glitch. Am I supposed to eventually be able to buy more permanent upgrades? Is the heart cap really six? Who knooooows?
Old 09-14-2018, 08:14 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
All I want them to do is remaster the first [Katamari] and make it playable on PC. Same stages, same music, just higher resolution and a nice smooth framerate. Please be that, I would be so happy.
It's coming to Switch! That might be even better, I just hope the port is good. I want to show this game to my son, I think he might find it really funny.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:38 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
It's coming to Switch! That might be even better, I just hope the port is good. I want to show this game to my son, I think he might find it really funny.
Bamco's twitter says it's also coming to the PC (bizarrely, only Switch and PC thinking emoji).
Old 09-14-2018, 09:23 AM
Sudden chomper

If that's the case, I might just get it on PC. I really want that smooth framerate and I'm not actually that interested in playing the game portably. To be totally honest, I'd love to be able to run it in 4K in a couple years once I have a new TV...
Old 09-14-2018, 09:59 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Bamco's twitter says it's also coming to the PC (bizarrely, only Switch and PC thinking emoji).
I'm kinda annoyed that the Katamari Damacy remaster isn't on PS4 just because I've been hoping for a PS2 on PS4 release of Katamari Damacy ever since PS2 on PS4 became a thing, you know? Guess this is how the Microsoft faithful feel when a 360 exclusive gets a PS4 only remaster. =/

Like, I'm planning to get a Switch eventually but it'd be nice if Bandai Namco would show the other platforms some more retro love, too.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I remember our own Deptford (I think) did a mini series of sorts on how Marche is basically one big Fun Ruiner trying to make his friends and family leave their storybook fantasy world of alive moms, not being crippled, and different natural hair colors and face dumb ol' stupid reality again.
This is a shockingly bad take on what is one of the sweetest video game stories I've ever played through.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:25 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
This is a shockingly bad take on what is one of the sweetest video game stories I've ever played through.
"Marche is the real villain of FFTA" is a pretty common (bad) take that usually comes up anytime someone mentions the game.
(For whatever reason, proponents of it usually skate right on past the whole "Being a child mercenary constantly fighting other child mercenaries is the only viable lifestyle" thing when they talk about how Fantasy Ivalice is good, actually)
Old 09-14-2018, 02:27 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I remember our own Deptford (I think) did a mini series of sorts on how Marche is basically one big Fun Ruiner trying to make his friends and family leave their storybook fantasy world of alive moms, not being crippled, and different natural hair colors and face dumb ol' stupid reality again.
Yep.

This video does a great job at arguing against that really bad and shallow take. Long, but I enjoyed the chance to take another good look at one of my old faves:

Old 09-14-2018, 02:32 PM
Objection!

Pronouns: She/Her

Any take about how Marche is the actual villain conveniently ignores that the moral of TA is that escapism is dangerous and unhealthy. And also ignores that even if what Mewt was doing was an unadulterated good thing, it's still trapping Marche in a world he does not want to be a part of at all, and won't let him just leave.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:32 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
"Marche is the real villain of FFTA" is a pretty common (bad) take that usually comes up anytime someone mentions the game.
(For whatever reason, proponents of it usually skate right on past the whole "Being a child mercenary constantly fighting other child mercenaries is the only viable lifestyle" thing when they talk about how Fantasy Ivalice is good, actually)
Honestly I have no serious commitment to the take, I just remember it being a thing that's been brought up before.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:42 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
Any take about how Marche is the actual villain conveniently ignores that the moral of TA is that escapism is dangerous and unhealthy. And also ignores that even if what Mewt was doing was an unadulterated good thing, it's still trapping Marche in a world he does not want to be a part of at all, and won't let him just leave.
Yeah, this does remind me a lot of how some people claim Syndrome from The Incredibles was actually a hero 'cuz he was trying to make everybody super so nobody would be super. While conveniently ignoring that he's murdered several superheroes, attempted to kill Mr. Incredible and his family, wrecked up a city with his robots, and tried to kidnap a baby when everything went to shit.

You're right Marche = Fun Ruiner does ignore that his friends' escapism is a problem.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:53 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
Long, but I enjoyed the chance to take another good look at one of my old faves:
By Youtube nerd content standards, 20 minutes is downright pithy!

I will try to give this a watch some time....
Old 09-14-2018, 03:12 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Yeah, to me it was always pretty obvious that Marche never bought into the illusion because the things he wanted were mostly for his brother, and the grimoire had granted them anyways since that's what his brother wanted for himself too. Then he spent the entire game wandering around a fucked-up pastiche of his world and "Ivalice", seeing how the magic of the grimoire was only a wallpaper over his friends' problems and exacerbating them in most cases. No wonder he wanted to put an end to things. Marche and to a much lesser extent Ritz were the only two who cared about the others at all, and it still took Ritz most of the game to work through her self-confidence issues.

You can also see it in the difference in how Montblanc acts with Marche compared to the other kids and their Ivalician guardians; Montblanc just sets Marche free to see the world with all its warts and problems while the others become firmly ensconced in their fantasies (with Ritz's partial exception again since her problems stem from her self-image and not family issues or physical disabilities).

Tags
all the games , news , not worth its own thread , snippets , thread shortage