The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 10-22-2017, 10:24 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

We still harsh!

Nowadays though we just harsh turds like Onomarchus

harshin the turds since 2017.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:27 AM
charlotte is mai waifu

I suppose I should not be surprised such an ode to crap would appear on the Rick and Morty thread, given the reptuation the show's developed. And yet. I have not seen any of this show besides a couple dumb throwaway gags and the Mr. Jelly Bean bit. What the hell is it about this show that turns so many people who watch it into the cover model for an issue of Reason magazine?
Old 10-23-2017, 02:03 AM
Mischief Maker

I think it's similar to people not understanding that Walter White in Breaking Bad is not a role model. People mistake the nihilistic and self-destructive tendencies of the main characters as admirable qualities, missing that we're supposed to hate them for it.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:28 AM
Crazy Old Bird

To the extent the show tries to have a point, it's the tension between Rick's nihilism - life is meaningless, so do whatever you want - and Morty's nihilism - life is meaningless, so find comfort in what you can. Morty views his family as a comfort in his life, and wants them to be happy. Rick views his family as an impediment to his life, and wants them to leave him alone. He views any attachment or affection towards them as a fatal flaw, and yet still can't bring himself to move out of their garage.

It's all delivered with the nuance of a Twitter egg, so it's easy to see why certain personality types would latch on to Rick as some sort of spirit animal. He says things you're not supposed to say and therefore must be right and smart.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:34 AM
Space Prez

I think what happens is that smart people get picked on, and they believe they are being ostracized because they are smart, and not some other character flaw they are blind to. Or perhaps they are picked on for no reason at all! But there is a disconnect between how you perceive yourself, and how others treat you. Some people, when faced with this disconnect, became shy, withdrawn, depressed. Others become rampaging egomaniacs. As I write this, I'm not sure I can say which is better.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:10 AM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrai View Post
I think it's similar to people not understanding that Walter White in Breaking Bad is not a role model. People mistake the nihilistic and self-destructive tendencies of the main characters as admirable qualities, missing that we're supposed to hate them for it.
I was going to make the comparison to Rorschach. He's a fundamentally broken human being that can't accept a truth that doesn't fit his worldview, but there's still fans that lionize him because he's decisive and intelligent.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:28 AM
Fifth Business

A thing that makes this situation worse in Rick and Morty's case is that, while Vince Gilligan is very obviously not Walter White, Dan Harmon basically is Rick, except instead of "I'm smarter and better than everyone else because I'm a scientist in a setting where that makes me God" it's "I'm smarter and better than everyone else because I've got jokes"

And while the show definitely doesn't endorse everything Rick does of course, it also at least kinda thinks he's awesome and hilarious much of the time (because again, Dan Harmon is Rick, and Dan Harmon is the sort of person who will name a show HarmonQuest and pick petty fights with strangers online and then smugly tweet #HarmonBlock2017 when he blocks them), and that sense of self-regard keeps the tone from ever being quite as harsh or clear in its indictment as it should be, making it even easier for shallow thinkers to only appreciate or understand Rick on the "awesome and hilarious" level. Even his angst and flaws are mostly recognized in the same way that Dan Harmon recognizes his own angst and flaws, a pompous sort of "heavy lies the crown of being so much more talented and complex and tortured than everyone around you", which further muddies the waters of actually discouraging this sort of behavior.

Basically, I'm not even sure if it ACTUALLY condemns Rick in any real way at all. Peel layers away from some characters out there, and you definitely reach very strong indictments against what they represent. Peel layers away from Rick, and you reach maybe a paper-thin stratum of "gosh, I know I really shouldn't keep acting this way" before breaking through to a huge solid core of "...but I'm gonna keep doing it anyway! #HARMONBLOCK2017, I'M A PICKLE NOW MORTY, BUY OUR MERCHANDISE AND USE OUR APPS BECAUSE WE BOTH KNOW I'M HILARIOUS AND AWESOME"
Old 10-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Highway To HFIL

pickle riiick
Old 10-23-2017, 03:08 PM
Serial Thread Killer

I too, wish this show I like and think is funny doesn't keep getting ruined by idiots.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:16 PM
poisonous thread snake

I think people are/were expecting way too much of it. The third season wasn't bad, but it did sorta make it seem like the series showed all its cards in the first and second season. It doesn't really feel fresh anymore, which for some I think is a letdown, but it will probably still be funny for a few years.

The show still has room to go both ways on its treatment of Rick and his philosophy, too.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:08 PM
Starts with your heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
harshin the turds since 2017.
We need Kishi to gifify this for us.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:32 PM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isrieri View Post
I too, wish this show I like and think is funny doesn't keep getting ruined by idiots.
P much this.

I thought season 3 was the best so far personally.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:45 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
P much this.

I thought season 3 was the best so far personally.
Same

Tags
ball fondlers , doc and marty , grass tastes bad , my time here is ogre , nevernude , turbulent juice , two brothers