The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about music and podcast

Old 03-30-2018, 03:03 PM
SO LONG GAY BOWSER

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her
Default Listening Devices

I wanna see how y'all listen to your music! I've always had certain suspicions about who on here has an amazing setup and who just uses Spotify on their phone, and now curiosity's gotten the better of me. I'll go first:

I recently splurged on a Cowon Plenue D to help deal with my (temporary but still bothersome) tinnitus through music. It's so nice to have a good player again after not having a proper dedicated audio device for like four years (RIP Cowon J3) and making do with cheapies and stopgap solutions in the interim. I couldn't be happier with the thing itself too, I've been gushing about the incredible sound quality since I got it. Plus it's tiny and adorable . I've got it hooked up to a set of Sennheiser HD 598 Cs with a third-party braided cable and it sounds aces. It's got 32GB onboard and expandable by another 128GB with microSD, so all in all it can hold about a third of my music collection, which seems pretty fair. And there's no dumb proprietary cable like on the J3 had or like the more recent Sonys have, which is a bonus. And it has buttons on the side! Remember buttons? I missed you, buttons.

So now y'all know that I'm a secret audiophile.

Cue a bunch of "I just google the song and listen to the first Youtube link" replies.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:14 AM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

My actual listening setup is pretty basic, though I don't like streaming, so it's all MP3s. iPhone 6s, 128 GB with a pair of Bluetooth Backbeat Fit headphones (which are pretty sturdy as wireless earbuds go). They don't have the best bass or max volume, but I mostly use them for dog walking, during which I'm usually listening to podcasts anyway. I listen to most music on a JBL Flip 3 wireless speaker while I'm working or doing stuff around the house, and it fills the room pretty nicely.

What I'm really obsessive about is my collection. I don't have a physical CD collection anymore, but I'm the digital equivalent of one of those vinyl junkies who has everything meticulously labeled and in proper order. I have about 350GB of music, all sorted and tagged with album art, backed up on two external hard drives, one of which syncs to a monthly Google account I pay for. I'm not a serious audiophile, but I prefer that things not obviously sound like shit, so it's all at 320kbps.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:00 AM
SO LONG GAY BOWSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonetrope View Post
What I'm really obsessive about is my collection. I don't have a physical CD collection anymore, but I'm the digital equivalent of one of those vinyl junkies who has everything meticulously labeled and in proper order. I have about 350GB of music, all sorted and tagged with album art, backed up on two external hard drives, one of which syncs to a monthly Google account I pay for. I'm not a serious audiophile, but I prefer that things not obviously sound like shit, so it's all at 320kbps.
Aw hell yeah, do you use Picard too? I ran my entire music collection through it last year and it is such a huge help. I wish I had had this back in the day when everything on Limewire was just someone's shitty band tagging themselves as a more popular band so people would torrent them.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:26 AM
qu'ai-je attendu

Sadly, I don't have a fancy playback system. I just use my phone, but I do use a pair of Sennheiser 380pros for a lot of my listening (as well as for headset use with an add-on Antlion mic). I also have a pair of AKG Y50BT I picked up really cheaply for use with my phone via Bluetooth. Yeah it isn't quite as good sound, but it's useful for when I don't want a cord around.

I actively avoid MP3s and prefer FLAC. My collection used to be VBR MP3 or OGG but then I reripped it all into FLAC (via Exact Audio Copy) since storage is less of an issue. I still buy CDs so I can rip them, but are then stored since I have lossless audio.

I'm a big fucking nerd and I fucking tag shit myself with my own system of categorisation. I am OLD and SET IN MY WAYS.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:09 PM
It's dog eat dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
Aw hell yeah, do you use Picard too? I ran my entire music collection through it last year and it is such a huge help. I wish I had had this back in the day when everything on Limewire was just someone's shitty band tagging themselves as a more popular band so people would torrent them.
No but I will now! Wow!
Old 03-31-2018, 12:20 PM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

I think mp3 files are fine for all the but the most ardent audiophiles as long as it's a high quality rip and encoded with settings to achieve a certain level of quality. So back when I was big into ripping music I used Exact Audio Copy because it was (and as far as I know still is) the gold standard of ripping software and it partnered with LAME as the mp3 encoder and I used some sort of 256k vbr quality level. Sure, it's not lossless. But I've never been able to tell the difference between a good mp3 and flac even on headphones that cost a couple hundred bucks.

And for headphones, I've done a bit of a journey. I'd pick up some fancy pair about once every other year but the ones I've settled on as my favorite are the Sennheiser HD 598 *fistbumps teg*. They sound fantastic and they have the rare virtue of being extremely comfortable even after I've had them on my noggin for hours on end.

The most recent listening device I acquired quite recently after perusing the Head Fi forum's thread on Chi-Fi. Those dudes have managed to dig through the vast quantity of cheap Chinese headphones and find the ones that have amazing price-to-quality ratios. I got some earbuds for less than ten bucks that sound absolutely exceptional for that price. I was really just trying to find some earbuds that I could wear in bed and be able to fall asleep with comfortably and instead got buds that deliver quality comparable to something that I would have expected to cost five or eight times as much.
Old 03-31-2018, 12:20 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Quote:
I wanna see how y'all listen to your music! I've always had certain suspicions about who on here has an amazing setup and who just uses Spotify on their phone, and now curiosity's gotten the better of me.
Spotify? Pfft, I just--

Quote:
Cue a bunch of "I just google the song and listen to the first Youtube link" replies.

i am sorry that i have disappointed you, teg
Old 03-31-2018, 03:08 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
who just uses Spotify on their phone
‘sup
Old 03-31-2018, 04:20 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

I have... way too many gigs of music files on external drives.

I usually just use spotify.

I really only listen to podcasts now anyway...
Old 04-01-2018, 10:53 AM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

A generation 1 iPod shuffle

I'm sorry, everyone u_u
Old 04-01-2018, 11:35 AM
qu'ai-je attendu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
A generation 1 iPod shuffle

I'm sorry, everyone u_u
Other Half fucking loves Shuffles. Seriously.

Other Half also can't tell the difference between 128kbps and FLAC.

Sometimes I wonder how we are together.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:59 PM
SO LONG GAY BOWSER

I am also onboard that FLAC train when I can get it. I'll do mp3 without complaining, but I'm willing to go the extra mile for lossless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
And for headphones, I've done a bit of a journey. I'd pick up some fancy pair about once every other year but the ones I've settled on as my favorite are the Sennheiser HD 598 *fistbumps teg*. They sound fantastic and they have the rare virtue of being extremely comfortable even after I've had them on my noggin for hours on end.
hell yeah my dude *fistbumps ya right back*

I should mention that at home, I use my PC, with some old Logitech speakers that are good but unexceptional. They're not very bassy, but they're not thin either. And even though it's been dead for almost five years, I still play all my music through Winamp 5.666 (I have a backup folder and a USB drive that both have the installer and a .ZIP of my favourite skin, just in case I ever have to wipe a drive or move to a new machine and the site dies.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:25 PM
This way up

my phone broke

so I use CDs on the go

CDs are fun!
Old 04-01-2018, 08:29 PM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

I tend to use VBR 0 (i.e., highest fidelity) settings when it comes to mp3s if I can help it, though I'm hardly picky about this sort of thing. Playback is through my phone.

Generally that's fine. The file size increase is not worth the hassle unless I am going to do studio work with it. By the way my mashup project is a year old today. A bunch of those songs I had to make do with youtube rips because that's all that was there and boy howdy does it show when you pitch shift that stuff.

Most of what I listen to via my phone these days is podcasts. Due to the cirumstances of work I tend to have to stream music when I want to listen to something there, so I have youtube for that. Meh.

Since I do a lot of stuff in trackers or chiptunes I prefer to play back using the native format of the tracker when I'm not uploading the tunes somewhere. On phone, I use Droidsound-E for that. On my computer, I just use Winamp.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:32 PM
There he is!

I'm mp3 only as well, I got rid of all my CDs about 5 years ago. I try to stick to 320 kbps if possible. I listen on a 160 GB iPod Classic, and when it goes I'm planning to replace the hard drive with a SSD.

For headphones, I use a pair of Sennheiser PX200s, because I like the foldability of them for putting them in my bag.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:55 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
No. ... Sometimes I go directly to youtube and use the search there.

I really need to get around to ripping my CD collection at some point.

When I'm in my car I usually hit next on my presets until I find something that doesn't make me want to drive off a bridge (having XM radio helps).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaer View Post
Other Half fucking loves Shuffles. Seriously.

Other Half also can't tell the difference between 128kbps and FLAC.

Sometimes I wonder how we are together.
Does your other half have a better sense of smell or sight than you do?
Old 04-01-2018, 10:38 PM
qu'ai-je attendu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
Does your other half have a better sense of smell or sight than you do?
Nope and nope.

Other Half is able to make things with their hands though. They're astonishingly good at anything they put a mind to (carpentry, knitting, metalwork, leatherwork, etc).
Old 04-02-2018, 12:22 AM

I have a few pairs of those Panasonic $12 in-car ear buds. They're surprisingly good and have some excellent bass response for earbuds. I also have a 2.1 Logitech refurbished setup I've plugged into my laptop, but my TV uses just its (actually pretty nice) built in speakers.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:35 AM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

I think my car only plays MP3s, so I am in the process of re-ripping most of my modest music collection and organizing the files better. I'm not sure I can tell the difference between different quality files, never really thought about it. I put them on a tiny commodity flash drive that is like this tiny nub of a chip wrapped in blank aluminum, and that stays in my car. I probably only have like 15gb of stuff, so they're probably the lower quality files.

At home we have a decent stereo that we use with an input cable, but we also listen to CDs and the radio a ton.

I also have very decent portable speaker I like to take when I'm cleaning apartments, or listening to music in the bathroom/bedroom, picnics, swimming in the lake, etc. I play the music off a Vita, which works fine for me.

If I'm listening with headphones like after bedtime, well I use these impossibly cheap unbranded earbuds I got in a roadside market on a trip through Nebraska.

In all, I am incredibly haphazard about music. Sorry!
Old 04-02-2018, 10:41 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I use Pulsar on my smartphone (they just added a playback speed option...and inline ads, hooray?), and foobar2k at home. Use a pair of cheapo Panasonic earbuds with my phone, and at home I've got a pair of Sennheiser 350SE headphones (and cheap Amazon Essentials speakers).

I'm not terribly picky about sound quality, but given that I listen to a lot of lo-fi to begin with music (chiptunes, EDM, etc) the mp3/FLAC debate is mostly secondary to me.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:45 AM
Brain Genius

The cheapest headphones Skullcandy makes, Jib, plugged into my Samsung Galaxy Core Prime phone (cheapest model!), all MP3s using the phone's included music player. My dad is a huge audiophile and has been trying to get me to listen to lossless music on good headphones and whatnot but I refuse so I don't have to spend the time converting files and spending a bunch of cash on headphones. I do have a Bluetooth Skullcandy headset for use while exercising that I got essentially for free from Skullcandy because I sent in like five pairs of Jib headphones where only one earbud worked so I used the credit to buy that. The reason I'm so cheap is because I usually fall asleep listening to podcasts or whatever so I go through headphones quick and don't want to buy expensive ones to break while sleeping.

tl;dr I'm cheap af
Old 04-02-2018, 11:45 AM
GO!

As a cheapskate audiophile, I use an iPod 5.5G (upgraded to a 240gb HDD) with a pair of Grado SR60s for regular listening and Sony XBA-H1 earbuds for work/travel. Need to get an mSATA adapter card and bump the iPod up to 500gb w/ Rockbox for FLAC support, but that probably won't happen until I need to disassemble it again for a battery replacement.

For my computer, I'm still a Winamp user with a set of KLH 2.1s. Fairly cheap but good quality.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:14 PM

These days I go simple.

I have a couple Rockbox'd Sansa Clip Zips. Having Rockbox in a matchbox with a microSD slot fits me to a T. I browse by folder and usually don't bother with album art.

Almost all of my stuff is .ogg.

For headphones I now use a surprisingly good $9 pair of Panasonic ear buds. I still have some Hippo VB ear buds, which are super nice, but the cords are failing because I like to fall asleep to tunes or audio books. It turns out that's really rough on them; who knew?

As for programs and utilities, I prefer Foobar2000 and MP3Tag. I use Audacity occasionally, especially for grabbing vgm right out of the device. Picard was really useful when I ripped all my CDs.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:47 PM

My ripping tool of choice tends to be winlame, especially since it still connects to an extant music database to get metadata unlike winamp, and supports more formats out of the box.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:13 PM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

I use Spotify pretty much everywhere, usually just playing through my computer speakers while I'm working or through the Sonos speaker if I'm in the living room/kitchen working on chores. I have some loss-less MP3s and other high-fi files on my PC but I don't usually listen to them. I should probably start listening to stuff on those 7.1 expensive ass headphones I bought a few months ago for gaming but I don't particularly like wearing headphones.

Outside of that I have a record player and some vinyl with no goddamn place to set it up, so it waits - and I wait - until I can find a space for it.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:02 PM
SO LONG GAY BOWSER

I would love to get a turntable. I have very fond memories of listening to me da's old records when I was a kid and I've been thinking more and more these days about grabbing a few choice albums on vinyl. Ideally I'd like to get this automatic Denon model for its automatic features, but I've been told that this Audio-Technica entry-level model is a good jumping-off point since it's super cheap but doesn't leave you lacking in the quality department or stuck having to fuck with finnicky shit like phono preamps.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
I recently splurged on a Cowon Plenue D to help deal with my (temporary but still bothersome) tinnitus through music
teg, I meant to ask you more about dealing with tinnitus. Would you mind going into a bit more detail on what you mean by dealing with it through music?

I've developed some permanent tinnitus in my left ear which I most likely inherited from my mother and exacerbated by accidentally exploding a bicycle tire by using a car pump when I was young. We both have a constant, high frequency tone. Mine is usually drowned out by everyday noise but she says her case is more severe.

At the moment my only way of dealing with it is to ignore it when I notice it and avoid taking NSAIDS because I've read they can make it worse.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:19 PM
SO LONG GAY BOWSER

I'm basically just drowning it out with low-volume sound until it goes away, being careful not to turn it up too loud. It's by no means a cure or anything. I've had mine for about two months now and it's at a point where I can only hear it very faintly, and only in complete silence, so I'll listen to something while I'm commuting or relaxing.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:47 PM
Mr Toad's Wild Ride

That Plenue really is kinda cute!

I'm no sound snob, but I've noticed in recent years that ordinary dollar store earphones just aren't good enough for me. They produce sound that's too soft, too tinny. Skullcandy earphones don't cost too much more and offer substantially improved sound. Sennheisers are better still, but alas, those earphones crapped out on me after several years, and I only get sound out of one ear. Sennheisers are pretty costly, so I guess I'll be sticking with Skullcandy from now on!

As for the music player, I generally just use a smartphone... my current one is a Moto E4. The iPod Touch I had back in 2009 worked really well as an MP3 player, and I've heard encouraging things about the Zune line of players. Lots of storage and a solid interface for brosing through your library. I had a Sansa player and an iRiver clip player years and years ago, but I'm not sure if I'd want to go back to those... neither offered much storage.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:46 PM
SO LONG GAY BOWSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
That Plenue really is kinda cute!

I generally don't recommend Skullcandy as their stuff is of wildly varying quality because they practice the cheap headphone tradition of literally ordering shit out of a catalogue and charging a huge markup. They're hardly alone in that regard, a lot of companies farm out their low-end earbuds, but they do it for pretty much everything they make. I've seen $100+ pairs of Skullcandies that are identical to $50 store brand headphones except for a camo paintjob.