The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 04-16-2018, 11:16 AM

I second everything that Egarwaen said^

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
I want to hear more about this, because I read a synopsis and am not sure what they are so upset about
Long story short - it's your basic waifu wars shit. Asuka slapped the shit out of Rei, etc, etc.

Long story:
The MC of DintheF (His name is Hiro, because he is the story's hero. Get it? DintheF is a very complicated show) has two primary love interests. One is named STRAWBERRY. She is the childhood-friend stereotype to a T. Overbearing and nagging because she superduper loves the MC but she can't quite express those feelings because they're basically siblings. The kids in DintheF are even more at a disadvantage because they're lab rats living in an information vacuum, so they don't even know what the word love is, never mind know how to deal with their raging teenage hormones and feelings. STRAWBERRY loves MC, and MC likes her but not like that.

Then enter ZERO TWO. Her name is literally ZERO TWO because whoever named her is a dumbass. ZERO TWO is the new hotness who is has magnetic sexual chemistry and immediately latches onto MC, and MC reciprocates. Turns out though, ZERO TWO is only using MC. She doesn't actually care about MC, and is chewing him up to spit him out on her path to find her real love. She's also like half-DINOSAUR or something, so she's quite literally chewing him up and sucking out his lifeforce or whatever whenever they pilot together.

STRAWBERRY tries to look away and do what will make MC happy, but she can't abide by ZERO TWO trying to eat her and goes ape-shit on ZERO TWO and says MEAN THINGS and tries to keep them physically separated.

However, as it turns out, ZERO TWO was a secret childhood friend all along! MC was the only person who treated ZERO TWO like a human bean instead of a DINOSAUR. They both just forgot about each other because CONVENIENT SELECTIVE AMNESIA. Turns out, MC is ZERO TWO's raison d'être, and she starts go lose her marbles from the guilt of hurting the one person she truly cares about in the world.

STRAWBERRY doesn't understand any of this, and is only trying to protect MC from a threat. ZERO TWO has ZERO INTERPERSONAL SKILLS so she doesn't understand or handle this assault well, so she physically beats the crap out of STRAWBERRY and all of their friends. MC walks in on all this nonsense and then proclaims ZERO TWO is acting like a dumb DINOSAUR. Fade to black.

So that's what happened. And all of that boils down to people's waifus being mean to each other and doing stupid teenage shit. And then getting mad at others on the internet for having differing opinions. It's textbook Bad Anime Fans.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:38 AM
The metal babble flees!

in other news, a second watch-through of Free! has proved just as enjoyable as the first. kind of got bogged down partway through the second season last time, let's see how it goes.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:40 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I second everything that Egarwaen said^

Long story short - it's your basic waifu wars shit. Asuka slapped the shit out of Rei, etc, etc.

Long story:
The MC of DintheF (His name is Hiro, because he is the story's hero. Get it? DintheF is a very complicated show) has two primary love interests. One is named STRAWBERRY. She is the childhood-friend stereotype to a T. Overbearing and nagging because she superduper loves the MC but she can't quite express those feelings because they're basically siblings. The kids in DintheF are even more at a disadvantage because they're lab rats living in an information vacuum, so they don't even know what the word love is, never mind know how to deal with their raging teenage hormones and feelings. STRAWBERRY loves MC, and MC likes her but not like that.

Then enter ZERO TWO. Her name is literally ZERO TWO because whoever named her is a dumbass. ZERO TWO is the new hotness who is has magnetic sexual chemistry and immediately latches onto MC, and MC reciprocates. Turns out though, ZERO TWO is only using MC. She doesn't actually care about MC, and is chewing him up to spit him out on her path to find her real love. She's also like half-DINOSAUR or something, so she's quite literally chewing him up and sucking out his lifeforce or whatever whenever they pilot together.

STRAWBERRY tries to look away and do what will make MC happy, but she can't abide by ZERO TWO trying to eat her and goes ape-shit on ZERO TWO and says MEAN THINGS and tries to keep them physically separated.

However, as it turns out, ZERO TWO was a secret childhood friend all along! MC was the only person who treated ZERO TWO like a human bean instead of a DINOSAUR. They both just forgot about each other because CONVENIENT SELECTIVE AMNESIA. Turns out, MC is ZERO TWO's raison d'être, and she starts go lose her marbles from the guilt of hurting the one person she truly cares about in the world.

STRAWBERRY doesn't understand any of this, and is only trying to protect MC from a threat. ZERO TWO has ZERO INTERPERSONAL SKILLS so she doesn't understand or handle this assault well, so she physically beats the crap out of STRAWBERRY and all of their friends. MC walks in on all this nonsense and then proclaims ZERO TWO is acting like a dumb DINOSAUR. Fade to black.

So that's what happened. And all of that boils down to people's waifus being mean to each other and doing stupid teenage shit. And then getting mad at others on the internet for having differing opinions. It's textbook Bad Anime Fans.
Going to say, isn't 02 the numbering on Asuka's EVA in the show?
Old 04-16-2018, 11:52 AM
The metal babble flees!

I thought it was from Rei being "zero" and the name being like Zero Jr., but both interpretations work and that's actually mildly clever I think.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:54 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Then enter ZERO TWO. Her name is literally ZERO TWO because whoever named her is a dumbass. ZERO TWO is the new hotness who is has magnetic sexual chemistry and immediately latches onto MC, and MC reciprocates.
?

Bold choice for a love interest, but I think I like it
Old 04-16-2018, 12:08 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Yeah, I'm actually pretty impressed that the showrunners went through with it? Like, I really feel like it's the first thing they've done that isn't in just deferring to fan expectations.
They've been hinting for a few episodes now that 02 and Hiro's relationship was not the fairy tale the first arc had painted it as; that, in fact, 02's priorities inevitably poison her relationships, and a single moment of catharsis is nowhere near enough to override her long-set habit. This also leads her to violently reject the limited help Squad 13 is able to offer. But just because she's out of the way doesn't mean that Hiro and Ichigo are going to Happily Ever After, because their relationship is just as unhealthy. None of these characters are really equipped to form stable relationships, because the decrepit adults whose whims direct their lives prioritize their own comfort and entertainment over the welfare of the children. Which, really, is also very apt commentary on the fandom's reaction to honestly otherwise completely trite teen drama.

She's also named 02 because by the naming scheme Hiro uses for everyone else, she'd be "O-Ni", right? Literally "ogre." Franxx is not subtle.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:41 PM
anti-piracy measure

Ah, so if I understand this then it's basically FF8 if Quistis and Rinoa were at each other's throats or something, probably. I forget the finer details of FF8's plot
Old 04-17-2018, 06:08 PM
Remembers Love

Another promising episode of LogH: Sonne statt Reagan. Expected backstory episode for Reinhard and Keirchies, but it did a lot as well to show the rottenness of the Empire, with flashes of both the secret police's panopticon and wretched condition of the subaltern class. Boy golly, Ruenthal's Hanson hair, though.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:27 PM
Family Man

I enjoyed the first episode of MegaloBox, but the ads on Crunchyroll pop up at really odd times. I briefly considered getting the premium service to not deal with ads and get the episodes sooner, yet decided not to after browsing what else they had to watch.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
I briefly considered getting the premium service to not deal with ads and get the episodes sooner, yet decided not to after browsing what else they had to watch.
Crunchyroll's catalog is actually fairly impressive, all things considered.

Like, you can watch every single episode of Lupin III on it. Do you know how wild that is? Up until recently, you couldn't even get decent bootlegs of Part II. It only existed in bad rips with machine-translated subs that were completely out of synch. Then suddenly one day, *poof* the whole show shows up with professional subs on DVD rips. WAOW!
Old 04-18-2018, 09:16 AM
The metal babble flees!

CR is a treasure trove. Not all of the shows are of super great video quality, but there's so much there, from all sorts of time frames, that it's well worth the fee.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:23 AM
Inherently Stealthy

They're also in the process of adding the subs from most of (?) Funimation's streaming service, so random shows from the '90s and '00s are just... Popping up.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:34 AM
Family Man

I looked at the list Wisteria linked and nothing caught my attention other than JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, which may be worth reconsidering. For me, domestic shows like O.K. KO and Steven Universe have taken a lot of the good parts of anime while leaving the bad, so I watch those instead.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:17 AM
FUCK IT FUCK IT SHIT

somebody figured out that the new Galactic Heroes opening goes pretty well with 80s pop power ballads.

it further occurs to me that Jim Steinman could have scored the shit out of some Galactic Heroes.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:51 AM
Not a Beer

Now that I would watch.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:45 PM
Cyber Casual

SAO Alternative: Gun Gale Online doesn't have Reki Kawahara or the original SAO characters anywhere near it, and it's pretty okay so far? As a person who is large horizontally and plays teeny-tiny characters in video games, I definitely get the protagonist's whole thing. Also the protagonist is a lady who accidentally becomes a feared PKer by taking the tutorial too seriously about PVP.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:04 PM
Phantastic Oil

I just finished watching the first two episodes of that! I too thought that it was pretty okay. Okay enough that I intend to keep watching for the moment, at any rate.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:05 PM
Cyber Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I just finished watching the first two episodes of that! I too thought that it was pretty okay. Okay enough that I intend to keep watching for the moment, at any rate.
Yeah, it's nothing mind-blowing, but I was surprised when avid SAO critics went "no, this is okay," so I watched it. It is indeed okay!
Old 04-18-2018, 09:54 PM
anti-piracy measure

so the wildest thing about uma musume is not the fact that the girls in it are based on real-world japanese racehorses, no. it's this, about one of those horses:
Quote:
Grass Wonder had a talented career, but his career was mired by injuries. After a promising first season, Grass Wonder had to sit out a year due to a leg injury, but he would bounce back to win two Arima Kinen races.
Old Yesterday, 02:49 AM
Blue Comet

Just finished ep. 3 of Megalo Box. I'm wondering, are those orphans/street urchins references to characters from the original Joe?
Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM
Not a Beer

Also that was a surprisingly quick disposal of an obvious Chekhov's gun. But I guess this is the sort of story where you can't leave the protag with any advantages other than his own wits and strength and a little support from companions.

Tags
お前はもう死んでいる , ウエアブー , 3 2 1 let's jam , animation , anime , animeanimeanimeanimeanime , cartoons , cour , didn't read the manga , don't watch anime , fear of new technology , imouto , japan , japanimation , my japanese animes , only weeaboos say weeaboo , panties! , read the manga , voca droids? , watch anime , weeaboo , what's all this racket , wrath of the lich king , you seen orange road , you'll like orange road