The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 10-12-2017, 08:54 AM
Video Monster

My list (bolded didn't make it)
  1. Streets of Rage 2 (Sega Genesis) - Dreamer
  2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Sony PS1) - Rainbow Cemetery
  3. Gradius III (SNES) - Cosmo Plant
  4. Katamari Damacy (Sony PS2) - Lonely Rolling Star
  5. Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (N64) - Gourmet Submarine
  6. Akumajou Densetsu (Famicom) - Mad Forest
  7. Undertale (PC) - Waterfall
  8. Metroid (FDS) - Title
  9. Mega Man VI (NES) - Mr. X Stage 1
  10. Final Fantasy V (SFC) - The Flying Dragon Spreads its Wings
  11. Castlevania Bloodlines (Sega Genesis) - Prayer of a Tragic Queen
  12. Ristar (Sega Genesis) - Break Silence
  13. Gunstar Heroes (Sega Genesis) - Theme of Seven-Force
  14. Kingdom Hearts (Sony PS2) - Blast Away! Gummi Ship 1
  15. Biohazard Battle (Sega Genesis) - Stage 7
  16. Castlevania Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (PC Engine CD) - Cemetery
  17. Phantasy Star II (Sega Genesis) - Phantasy
  18. Journey to Silius (NES) - Underground Concourse
  19. Super Mario RPG (SNES) - Fight Against an Armed Boss
  20. Breath of Fire III (Sony PS1) - An Uncertain Millennium
  21. Final Fantasy IX (Sony PS1) - Hilda Garde
  22. YS Book I/II (PC Engine CD) - Beat of the Terror
  23. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World: The Game (XBox 360) - Another Winter
  24. Secret of Mana (SNES) - Steel and Snare
  25. Earthbound (SNES) - You've Come Far, Ness

My thoughts on the tracks not in the list:

Gradius III (SNES) - It fills me with powerful energy.

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon (N64) - Surprised this one wasn't on the list. It's got great hooks. And Impact's theme song is sung by Ichirou Mizuki, the godfather of mech theme songs!

Mega Man VI (NES) - The nominated track is my phone's ringtone. Underrated game, underrated music.

FFV (SFC) - Really? This wasn't on the list? The Hiryu theme made me cry last time I played this game.

Castlevania Bloodlines (Sega Genesis) - Pumpin'

Ristar (Sega Genesis) - Criminally overlooked. Hot take: This game is better than Donkey Kong Country

Gunstar Heroes (Sega Genesis) - But at least we got to talk about Alien Soldier.

Kingdom Hearts (Sony PS2) - There's a train at our Zoo. Its whistle sounds almost exactly like the first couple of notes of the Jungle theme, so it gets in my head every time the train goes by.

Biohazard Battle (Sega Genesis) - I had no illusions that anyone else would vote for this (because I'm the only person who's played it, maybe), but it's some of the best music on the system, and ever.

Castlevania Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (PCE) - Holy grail game, holy grail music

Phantasy Star II (Genesis) - The cold synth is perfect for these weird worlds

Journey to Silius (NES) - Have you listened to this? HAVEYOU?

Breath of Fire III (PS1) - Fortunately we got to talk about this stuff anyway.

Final Fantasy IX (PS1) - See above.

Scott Pilgrim VS the World (Xbox 360) - Anamanaguchi's chiptunes fit this game perfectly. Nobody really talks about this game, but it's really good
Old 10-12-2017, 08:56 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
9. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World: The Game Really great chiptunes by Anamanaguchi in this one. Another Winter
My dude!!!!
Old 10-12-2017, 09:04 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudik View Post
well but it makes sense to say vice city is better because it maintains an atmosphere while gta iv in every aspect of the game is completely lifeless so having a better colleciton of music isn't actually that useful.
Vice City has a fairly good collection of music, but I feel San Andreas' choice works better for the landscape of the game as a whole. You want to drive through the country? You can have country music or hippie music.

I barely remember GTA IV. Never has a GTA game made being a fictional criminal less fun. I still never played V but I maintain CJ is the best GTA lead character and San Andreas is the best GTA game.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:54 AM
Thanks for noticing me

I usually don't think of 'great music' when I think of FF6 but damn if you guys don't make the case for it.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:01 AM
It's all good, man

Kind of funny how nobody else who voted in this played Hotline Miami.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:10 AM
Burnin' like a Noumander

Since everyone's doing it now, guess I'll do it too...

Quote:
1. G-Darius "KIMERA II"
2. Saga Frontier "Last Battle -Asellus-"
3. Castlevania Chronicles (Arrange) "Etude for the Killer"
4. Gradius Gaiden "INTERNAL (Stage 5 BGM)"
5. Metal Black "Waste Days"
6. Super Castlevania IV "Treasury Room"
7. Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge "Praying Hands"
8. Axelay "Colony"
9. Seiken Densetsu 3 "Evening Star"
10. Breath of Fire III "An Offering to the Dragons ~Main Theme~"
11. Galactic Storm "PROTMIND ~main theme~"
12. Space Manbow "AQUARIUM (Stage 3 BGM)"
13. Silpheed (Mega CD) "Hyperspace (Stage 05)"
14. Elemental Master "Dance of Flame (Stage 1)"
15. ActRaiser "Northwall"
16. Suikoden "Gathering of Warriors"
17. Dragon Quest III (SFC) "Prologue"
18. Alundra "The House of Taurus" (alternatively known as "The House of Taran")
19. Illusion of Gaia "In the Earthen Womb"
20. Demon's Crest "A SUNKEN AQUEDUCT (Temple)"
21. Revenge of Shinobi "CHINA TOWN (ROUND 6)"
22. Gaiapolis "Gaiapolis"
23. Hotel Dusk "Easy Feeling"
24. McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure "Magical Sea"
25. Contra: Hard Corps "Zephyr"
Stuff that made it in bold. I talked about how happy I am with a lot of things that I didn't actually vote for (most of which I figured would make it on anyway), and I'd like to extend that to pretty much the rest of the list too (was too lazy to comment on them at the time). I'm pleased as punch with it generally. My only sorrow is that the Megadrive was sorely under-represented, and there were no shmups! A few comments from me that no one's gonna read for the stuff that didn't make it:

G-Darius: I love a lot of video game soundtracks dearly, but I can't call most of them transcendent like I would with the works of Hisayoshi Ogura, and G-Darius is one of his best. Turbulent at times, calm at others, but always full of power, as if trying to live out its short life to its fullest before it inevitably expires...it's a true thing of beauty. My chosen track best represents this, I feel like, but really any track from his OST is excellent. And this was basically a general vote for the entire Darius series, and even all of Ogura's works.

Castlevania Chronicles: This is an incredibly good game with a soundtrack to match, but sadly one of the most overlooked. I particularly like the punchy arrangements on the PSX version, but all the soundtracks have merit. The track I chose, Etude for the Killer, is really beautiful and elegant in a macabre way. The perfect mood for a horror-inspired game, I'd say.

Gradius Gaiden: G-Darius is king among experimental soundtracks, but Gradius Gaiden is definitely one of the best when it comes to a more "typical" and adventurous shmup soundtrack. Although the track I chose doesn't really represent this, it's still an amazing ambient theme. Using heartbeats and organic-sounding synths as percussion...I think that's brilliant.

Metal Black: One of the most beautifully bleak games has a beautiful (but not always obviously bleak) soundtrack. Waste Days, the track I chose, represents this well I think. It's lonely, cold and melancholic, as if reaching out towards something it lost but being unable to achieve it. The rest of the soundtrack is similarly strong.

Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge: This one's another overlooked game in the franchise, and because of its juxtaposition, it's unfortunately dismissed at times. It has a soundtrack that's crackling with energy and creativity, and even includes two excellent renditions of classical music. Praying Hands' intro and long, low notes give it a brooding quality, but then the second part leaps into a hopeful crescendo. I can only imagine this is really the piece's title played out in music: praying, and receiving the ultimate reward. It's perfect for the game and its story, too.

Axelay: I just love my moody soundtracks, and Axelay is nothing short of brilliant when it comes to that. My chosen track, Colony, goes from brooding to heroic and it's a great time, but every other track is amazing too. I was contemplating choosing Silence instead, which is a beautifully alien piece.

Seiken Densetsu 3: I figured Secret of Mana would be chosen, so I voted this instead. Kikuta's soundtracks are incredibly vivid and colourful, and they have a depth of character I haven't experienced much otherwise. Having to choose from all of its tracks was hard, but Evening Star is really, really beautiful and calming. I can listen to it go on forever...

Galactic Storm: Another Ogura on my list. This one's not one of his better-known soundtracks, but it's incredible all the same. PROTMIND in particular is a track that is bursting with energy, and undergoes transformation several times. It's very ethereal and beautiful.

Space Manbow: The MSX soundchip is the legend, and Space Manbow makes excellent use of its capabilities. With its rough but simultaneously refined sound and energetic melodies, I couldn't help but fall in love. AQUARIUM is actually one of the calmer pieces, but it's very cosmic and beautiful.

Silpheed: There's a lot of shmups here, I know...but Silpheed is just amazing. It manages to capture the feeling of fighting hordes of enemies in the vastness of space really well. The track of choice, Hyperspace, is an incredibly heroic theme that makes my heart race every time. The engine noises are a big plus!

Elemental Master: Among Tecnosoft's games, I chose this as my representative. It's an amazing and powerful soundtrack. Dance of Flame is, I think, a good representative of what to expect from the game. It has a strong, driving melody, and I can't get over how extremely good and bombastic the percussion is, especially in the build-up during the intro.

Dragon Quest III: Really a vote for the entire series, but I'm very fond of DraQue III in particular. It has some of the best town themes and one of the best castle themes, for what that's worth! I chose Prologue because of its beauty and mystery, the enormous sense of "what's yet to come" it gives you. The perfect start for a great adventure, I'd say.

Alundra: This one's an excellent soundtrack, with some amazing ambient themes. House of Taurus/Taran is a great one, starting out fairly quiet and unassuming, but eventually intensifying and then petering out at the very end...it's a brilliant progression. Though it's not the only good one: The Lizardman's Lair is a threatening and mysterious piece, and the song that plays during nightmares (called...Nightmare) is amazing in how unsettling and anxiety-inducing it is. And finally, The Inhuman One (the boss theme) is a tense theme that builds up a wall of instruments layer by layer, representing perfectly the adversity you're facing.

Illusion of Gaia: Beautiful, adventurous and contemplative all at the same time. Something I'd only expect from a Quintet game, really. In the Earthen Womb is a gorgeous sentimental piece, and it makes me wanna cry every time I listen to it.

Demon's Crest: A perfect gothic-ish soundtrack. It builds such a powerful atmosphere and has excellent compelling melodies. The synth itself is the stuff of legends. A SUNKEN AQUEDUCT is my choice for being so full of melancholy and sorrow, so beautifully mournful. It pulls at my heartstrings it does.

Revenge of Shinobi: One of my favourite Koshiro works, and the vote for it was to represent the rest of his body of Megadrive works. It's very punchy and to-the-point. Expectedly, CHINA TOWN is the track I chose, and it's the most contemplative of the bunch while still being fairly action-y. The phases it goes through, the bass, the percussion...I love everything about it.

Gaiapolis: Konami's arcade sound board is legendary, and Gaiapolis is one of the best on it. It's not anything particularly unique, but it does what it does really well, and that would be having exciting and adventurous fantasy themes. The theme I chose, Gaiapolis, starts out with a calm tone but then almost literally explodes. The rest of the song is some of the most impossibly heroic stuff I've ever heard, and I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.

Hotel Dusk: The laid-back and jazzy nature of this soundtrack is one of my favourite things about the whole game. Appropriately, I chose probably what's the most laid-back song on the whole thing, Easy Feeling. Whenever I listen to it, all my worries melt away and I just want to lean back and relax forever. I'd say that says a lot about its power.

McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure: I could've voted for any number of other games, even just Megadrive ones, or Treasure ones. But no. It had to be this. That makes it sound like I have a huge bias for it (maybe I do) but I sincerely believe it to be an excellent soundtrack. I chose Magical Sea because of its bombastic percussion and impossibly happy tone. It's really great!

Contra: Hard Corps: And finally, Hard Corps. This is a soundtrack that's near and dear to my heart. It's hard to not love it with its rough synth and over-excited melodies. Sometimes I feel like it's about to jump out of my computer, in fact. Zephyr is a good representative of this: fast, powerful, and unstoppable, as it goes through several phases, each amazing in its own way. Though if you ask me, the percussion is the real star in that track.

Generally, the ranking doesn't really mean anything for me besides deciding which ones I wanted to give a bigger boost. I love all these, and many of the ones I didn't vote for (and which didn't even show up) just about equally.

Many thanks for running the list, conchobhar and Positronic Brain! It was a good time.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:25 AM

I'm honestly embarrassed that I didn't include a single dragon quest game. Obviously it's just because it's never been popular in America but still, final fantasy is on this list and my list so much but dq at least stands shoulders with it but probably actually taller in general.

I also considered castlevania chronicles and a lot of arcade games but, idk, hard to include just because i don't have the experience for them. Like, weird I had zombies which i don't listen to anymore rather than something i still like just because i've heard zombies so much.

and I'm glad goemon got a vote. It'd be hard for me to throw it on there but it's lovely. This Journey to Silius ost is real good too...

Also I hope some people voted for bomberman because I completely forgot to include Bomberman Hero
Old 10-12-2017, 10:30 AM
Not a Beer

Ooh, Scott Pilgrim vs The World is one I didn't think of, and it might've made it near the bottom of my list if I had. Anamanaguchi does good stuff, and it fits the game perfectly.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:53 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazama Kuro View Post
G-Darius: I love a lot of video game soundtracks dearly, but I can't call most of them transcendent like I would with the works of Hisayoshi Ogura, and G-Darius is one of his best. Turbulent at times, calm at others, but always full of power, as if trying to live out its short life to its fullest before it inevitably expires...it's a true thing of beauty. My chosen track best represents this, I feel like, but really any track from his OST is excellent. And this was basically a general vote for the entire Darius series, and even all of Ogura's works.
meditate

MEDITATION
Old 10-12-2017, 11:41 AM

Oh damn, I need to add Elemental Master to my list (though not in my top 25). I voted for Thunder Force IV on #5, though!

My favorite Elemental Master track is probably Visual Scene 1, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax5JQAPyfVQ
Old 10-12-2017, 11:52 AM
-ryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
[*]Kingdom Hearts (Sony PS2) - Blast Away! Gummi Ship 1
I was going to put KH on my list. I really like the original tracks and a bunch of the music for disney worlds is not just a straight rip of something from the film but an adaption or remix if I remember correctly. Nice pick.

I'm seeing a lot of variety on these lists and a ton of stuff I've never even heard of and what I have now i'm like, I don't remember the music for that game, I'm going to go listen to a bunch more stuff!
Old 10-12-2017, 11:59 AM
Out Of Warranty

OK, first, the bad news.

Due to a mistake, we just realized there were a couple of lists that arrived into my inbox but weren't counted in the final tally. This wouldn't have affected anything in the Top 40, but it would have rearranged some stuff in the last places. Super Mario 2 & 3 would have placed, and Fez would have too. Xenoblade, Donkey Kong Country, Saga Frontier, Legend of Mana and Vagrant Story would have been kicked out.

Most importantly, though, Hotline Miami would have made it. And, if we had grouped together the votes for it and its pseudosequel Turbo, Street Figthter II would have made it right on#50.

(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻

So, yeah, this one's on me. I hope this Soundtrack-Gate doesn't affect your enjoyment of the final list. I'm sorry.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:03 PM
Out Of Warranty

That said... Here's the final list we based the thread on. Please don't give much importance to ranking numbers beyond 75 or so... Lots of ties, lost of games with low mentions. This was a very horizontal list due to the high participation (38 Tyrants, 422 nominations). You guys even broke my spreadsheet - twice!

Place Game Pts Mentions
1 Chrono Trigger 687 23
2 Final Fantasy Vi 528 18
3 Katamari Damacy 475 18
4 Undertale 391 15
5 Chrono Cross 391 14
6 Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night 388 14
7 Shadow Of The Colossus 353 13
8 Secret Of Mana 340 13
9 Mega Man 2 271 11
10 Final Fantasy Iv 268 9
11 Final Fantasy Tactics 259 11
12 Nier 242 8
13 Super Castlevania Iv 234 9
14 Earthbound 210 9
15 Xenogears 208 8
16 Shovel Knight 206 9
17 Mega Man 3 195 9
18 The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time 190 8
19 Mega Man X 187 8
20 Persona 4 184 7
21 The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past 167 7
22 Persona 5 166 6
23 Nier: Automata 164 6
24 Final Fantasy Vii 161 8
25 Streets Of Rage 2 159 7
26 Suikoden 133 5
27 Skies Of Arcadia 132 5
28 Okami 124 5
29 Ys Iii 122 5
30 Suikoden Ii 121 4
31 Super Metroid 114 5
32 Ys I & Ii 114 4
33 Final Fantasy Viii 112 4
34 Ducktales 111 5
35 Final Fantasy Xii 109 4
36 Super Mario Bros. 105 5
37 Actraiser 99 5
38 Castlevania 3 98 4
39 Metroid 96 5
40 Castlevania: Lament Of Innocence 96 4
41 Ico 96 3
42 Gitaroo Man 92 4
43 Super Mario Galaxy 91 4
44 Xenoblade Chronicles 85 4
45 Saga Frontier 85 3
46 Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze 84 3
47 Bastion 80 4
48 Cave Story 79 3
49 Legend Of Mana 78 3
49 Vagrant Story 78 3
51 Breath Of Fire Iii 77 4
51 Final Fantasy Ix 77 4
53 Hotline Miami 76 3
53 Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne 76 3
55 Castlevania Chronicles 75 3
56 The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker 74 4
57 Dragon Quest Viii 74 3
58 The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild 72 3
59 Castlevania 68 3
60 Fez 68 2
61 Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood 67 3
61 Phantasy Star Ii 67 3
61 Valkyria Chronicles 67 3
64 G-Darius 66 2
65 Mother 3 64 3
65 Super Mario Bros. 2 64 3
67 Bravely Default 63 3
67 Castlevania Ii 63 3
67 Life Is Strange 63 3
70 Jet Set Radio Future 63 2
71 Banjo-Kazooie 62 2
71 Tales Of Legendia 62 2
71 We Know The Devil 62 2
74 Suikoden Iii 61 3
74 Tetris 61 3
76 Thunder Force Iv 61 2
77 Valkyrie Profile 60 3
77 Bubble Bobble 60 2
77 Warcraft Ii 60 2
80 Final Fantasy V 59 3
80 Final Fantasy X 59 3
82 Persona 3 59 2
83 Etrian Odyssey Iii 58 3
84 Silver Surfer 58 2
84 The World Ends With You 58 2
86 Terranigma 55 3
87 Saga Frontier 2 55 2
87 Splatoon 55 2
89 Super Mario Bros. 3 54 3
90 Gunstar Heroes 54 2
91 Grand Theft Auto: Vice City 53 2
92 Gradius Iii 51 2
92 Star Tropics 51 2
94 Kirby'S Dream Land 50 3
95 Castlevania Ii: Belmont'S Revenge 50 2
95 Castlevania: Order Of Ecclesia 50 2
95 Donkey Kong Country 50 2
95 Final Fantasy Mystic Quest 50 2
95 Grim Fandango 50 2
95 Journey 50 2
95 Tactics Ogre 50 2
102 Dark Souls 49 2
102 Donkey Kong Country 2 49 2
102 Phantasy Star 49 2
102 Rocket Knight Adventures 49 2
106 Contra 48 2
106 Diablo Ii 48 2
106 Gradius V 48 2
106 Mass Effect 48 2
106 Sonic 2 48 2
111 Silent Hill 2 47 2
112 Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete 46 2
112 Metroid Prime 46 2
112 Muramasa: The Demon Blade 46 2
112 River City Ransom 46 2
116 Street Fighter Ii 45 3
117 Metal Black 45 2
117 Ninja Gaiden 45 2
117 Portal 45 2
120 Animal Crossing 43 2
120 Baten Kaitos 43 2
122 World Of Goo 42 3
123 Blaster Master 42 2
123 Castlevania: Harmony Of Dissonance 42 2
123 Final Fantasy Iii 42 2
123 Soul Blazer 42 2
123 The Neverhood 42 2
128 Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 41 2
128 Star Fox 41 2
128 The Legend Of Zelda 41 2
131 Hyper Light Drifter 40 2
132 Contra: Hard Corps 39 2
132 Ristar 39 2
132 Vvvvvv 39 2
135 Ecco The Dolphin 38 2
135 Journey To Silius 38 2
135 Rez 38 2
138 Hotel Dusk 37 2
139 Full Throttle 36 2
139 Lost Odyssey 36 2
139 Ninja Gaiden Ii 36 2
141 Castlevania: Aria Of Sorrow 35 2
141 Lufia 2 35 2
141 Metal Gear Solid 35 2
141 Star Control Ii 35 2
146 Alien Soldier 35 1
146 Drakengard 35 1
146 Final Fantasy Legend Iii 35 1
146 Gone Home 35 1
146 Heroes Of Might & Magic 2 35 1
146 Quest For Glory 4: Shadows Of Darkness 35 1
146 Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey 35 1
146 The Legend Of Heroes: Trails In The Sky The 3Rd 35 1
146 Transistor 35 1
154 Mega Man 9 34 2
154 Super Smash Bros For Wii U 34 2
154 Xenoblade Chronicles X 34 2
158 Beyond Good And Evil 34 1
158 Morrowind 34 1
158 Opoona 34 1
158 The Binding Of Isaac 34 1
158 Unlimited Saga 34 1
163 Sonic Mania 33 2
164 Etrian Odyssey 33 1
164 Her Story 33 1
164 Just Dance 2014 33 1
164 Perfect Cherry Blossom 33 1
164 Red Dead Redemption 33 1
164 Touhou 10: Mountain Of Faith 33 1
170 Super Mario Land 32 2
170 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Iv: Turtles In Time 32 2
172 Brutal Legend 32 1
172 Crusader: No Remorse 32 1
172 Donkey Kong Country 3 32 1
172 Flashback 32 1
172 Gradius Gaiden 32 1
172 Mega Man 1 32 1
178 Crypt Of The Necrodancer 31 2
178 Rayman Origins 31 2
178 Sonic The Hedgehog 31 2
181 Batman (Nes) 31 1
181 Brigador 31 1
181 F-Zero Gx 31 1
181 Final Fantasy Xiv 31 1
181 Guilty Gear Xrd 31 1
181 Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon 31 1
181 Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 31 1
181 Pyre 31 1
181 The Legend Of Zelda: Majora'S Mask 31 1
181 Zeliard 31 1
191 Bioshock 30 2
192 Digital Devil Saga 30 1
192 Plok 30 1
192 Rogue Legacy 30 1
192 Street Fighter Ex Plus 30 1
192 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 30 1
192 Yoshi'S Island 30 1
198 Vandal Hearts 29 2
199 Anticipation 29 1
199 Banjo-Tooie 29 1
199 Dodonpachi: Daifukkatsu 29 1
199 Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn 29 1
199 Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance 29 1
199 Phantasy Star Iv 29 1
199 Quake 29 1
199 Sonic 3 29 1
199 Sonic Adventure 2 29 1
199 Super Mario 3D World 29 1
209 Axelay 28 1
209 Curse Of Monkey Island 28 1
209 Doom (2016) 28 1
209 Eschatos 28 1
209 Etrian Odyssey Ii 28 1
209 The Guardian Legend 28 1
209 The Legend Of Zelda: Link'S Awakening 28 1
209 Valdis Story: Abyssal City 28 1
217 God Hand 27 2
217 Shining Force Ii 27 2
219 Breath Of Fire V 27 1
219 Digital Devil Saga 2 27 1
219 Mega Man 6 27 1
219 Ragnarok Online 27 1
219 Seiken Densetsu 3 27 1
219 Tail Of The Sun 27 1
219 The Last Remnant 27 1
219 Trauma Team 27 1
219 We Love Katamari 27 1
219 Zen: Intergalactic Ninja 27 1
229 Breath Of Fire Iv 26 1
229 Final Fantasy Legend Ii 26 1
229 Ftl: Faster Than Light 26 1
229 Killer 7 26 1
229 Kirby'S Epic Yarn 26 1
229 Shadow Hearts 26 1
229 Tales Of Phantasia 26 1
229 Tekken 2 26 1
229 Wonder Boy In Monster Land 26 1
238 Battle Garegga 25 1
238 Bit.Trip Beat 25 1
238 Castlevania Bloodlines 25 1
238 Command & Conquer: Red Alert 25 1
238 Dragon'S Dogma 25 1
238 Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers 25 1
238 Galactic Storm 25 1
238 Shining Force Iii 25 1
238 Sonic 3 & Knuckles 25 1
238 Street Fighter Ex3 25 1
238 Street Fighter Ii Turbo 25 1
238 Tetrisphere 25 1
238 The Legend Of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 25 1
238 The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess 25 1
238 Ys Vi: Ark Of Napisthim 25 1
253 Cho Ren Sha 68K 24 1
253 Double Dragon Neon 24 1
253 Dragon Quest Iv 24 1
253 Elemental Gearbolt 24 1
253 Flower, Sun, Rain 24 1
253 Parappa The Rapper 24 1
253 Professor Layton & The Curious Village 24 1
253 Space Manbow 24 1
253 Tree Of Savior 24 1
262 7Th Saga 23 1
262 Guilty Gear Xx 23 1
262 Marvel Super Heroes 23 1
262 Shin Megami Tensei Iv: Apocalypse 23 1
262 Silpheed 23 1
262 The Adventures Of Batman & Robin (Genesis) 23 1
262 Tokyo Mirage Sessions #Fe 23 1
262 Umjammer Lammy 23 1
262 Wonder Boy Iii: The Dragon'S Trap 23 1
271 Dragon Quest Ii 22 1
271 Dynamite Headdy 22 1
271 Elemental Master 22 1
271 Fantavision (Eu) 22 1
271 Guilty Gear X 22 1
271 Kingdom Hearts 22 1
271 Panzer Dragoon Saga 22 1
271 Portal 2 22 1
271 Saints Row: The Third 22 1
271 Shadow Hearts Covenant 22 1
271 Shatterhand 22 1
271 The Elder Scrolls Iv: Oblivion 22 1
271 Treasure Of The Rudras 22 1
271 Trip World 22 1
271 Wild Arms 3 22 1
271 Zelda Ii: The Adventure Of Link 22 1
287 Biohazard Battle 21 1
287 Botanicula 21 1
287 Contra: Shattered Soldier 21 1
287 Devil'S Crush 21 1
287 Einhander 21 1
287 Fire Emblem Echoes 21 1
287 Guitar Hero 21 1
287 Mega Man X2 21 1
287 New Super Mario Bros. 21 1
287 Prey (2017) 21 1
287 Prince Of Persia: The Sands Of Time 21 1
287 Romancing Saga Minstrel Song 21 1
287 Shadowgate 21 1
287 Super Mario World 21 1
301 Axiom Verge 20 1
301 Bloodborne 20 1
301 Brave Fencer Musashi 20 1
301 Castlevania Adventure 20 1
301 Fire Emblem: Geneology Of The Holy War 20 1
301 Jet Set Radio 20 1
301 Legend Of The Mystical Ninja 20 1
301 Mega Man Soccer 20 1
301 Psychic World 20 1
301 Shin Megami Tensei Iv 20 1
301 The Path 20 1
312 Age Of Mythology 19 1
312 Dragon Quest Iii 19 1
312 El Shaddai 19 1
312 Final Fantasy 19 1
312 Final Fantasy Xiii-2 19 1
312 Secret Of Evermore 19 1
312 Snatcher 19 1
312 Xcom: Ufo Defense 19 1
320 Alundra 18 1
320 Bayonetta 18 1
320 Braid 18 1
320 Etrian Odyssey Iv 18 1
320 Final Fantasy Xiii 18 1
320 Furi 18 1
320 Heroes Of Might & Magic Iv 18 1
320 Icewind Dale 18 1
320 Lunar 2: Eternal Blue 18 1
320 Silent Hill: Shattered Memories 18 1
320 The Last Of Us 18 1
320 The Last Story 18 1
332 Castlevania: Curse Of Darkness 17 1
332 Dustforce 17 1
332 Illusion Of Gaia 17 1
332 Ken Griffey'S Winnin' Run 17 1
332 Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards 17 1
332 Mega Man Zero 3 17 1
332 Mike Tyson'S Punch Out 17 1
332 Minecraft 17 1
332 Romance Of The Three Kingdoms Viii 17 1
332 Shining Force 17 1
332 Sim City 17 1
332 Super Mario 64 17 1
332 Super Mario Galaxy 2 17 1
332 Super Mario Rpg 17 1
332 Warcraft Iii 17 1
332 Wing Commander 17 1
348 Animal Crossing: New Leaf 16 1
348 Danganronpa 2 16 1
348 Demon'S Crest 16 1
348 Fire Emblem: Path Of Radiance 16 1
348 Golden Eye 007 16 1
348 Starcraft Ii Wings Of Liberty 16 1
348 Super Robot Wars Alpha 16 1
348 Zone Of The Enders: The 2Nd Runner 16 1
356 Arcana 15 1
356 Drakengard 3 15 1
356 Gimmick! 15 1
356 Kid Icarus Uprising 15 1
356 Kirby Air Ride 15 1
356 Paladin'S Quest 15 1
356 Parasite Eve 15 1
356 Read Only Memories 15 1
356 Revenge Of Shinobi 15 1
356 Soldier Blade 15 1
356 Star Ocean 15 1
356 To The Moon 15 1
356 Trine 15 1
356 Uncharted 4 15 1
370 Castle Crashers 14 1
370 Civilization Iv 14 1
370 Fire Emblem: Awakening 14 1
370 Gaiapolis 14 1
370 Gauntlet Iv 14 1
370 Kirby: Canvas Curse 14 1
370 R-Type 3 14 1
370 Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero 14 1
370 Shin Megami Tense: Digital Devil Saga 14 1
370 Skullmonkeys 14 1
370 Tales Of Destiny 14 1
370 Wild Arms 14 1
370 Zombies Ate My Neighbours 14 1
383 Castlevania: Portrait Of Ruin 13 1
383 Civilization 13 1
383 F-Zero 13 1
383 Magician 13 1
383 Mega Man X Command Mission 13 1
383 No More Heroes 13 1
383 Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World 13 1
383 Star Ocean The Second Story 13 1
383 World Of Warcraft 13 1
383 Yoshi'S Story 13 1
393 Ar Tonelico 3 12 1
393 Bomberman 64 12 1
393 Freedom Planet 12 1
393 Guacamelee 12 1
393 Half-Minute Hero 12 1
393 Katamari Damacy: Forever 12 1
393 Kirby Super Star 12 1
393 Mcdonald'S Treasure Land Adventure 12 1
393 Mega Man 5 12 1
393 Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door 12 1
393 Power Strike Ii 12 1
393 Probability 0 12 1
393 Sigma Harmonics 12 1
393 Soukaigi 12 1
393 Space Channel 5 12 1
393 Steamworld Heist 12 1
393 Super Smash Bros Brawl 12 1
410 Deathsmiles 11 1
410 Dolucky Sandlot Baseball 11 1
410 Dragon Quest 11 1
410 Dragon'S Crown 11 1
410 King Arthur 11 1
410 Pikmin 2 11 1
410 Sonic Cd 11 1
410 Sonic Colours 11 1
410 Suikoden V 11 1
410 The Witcher Iii 11 1
410 Total Annihilation 11 1
410 Viewtiful Joe 11 1

It's also available as a Google sheet, with a detailed point breakdown.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:05 PM
All are Santa Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
And, if we had grouped together the votes for it and its pseudosequel Turbo, Street Figthter II would have made it right on#50.
VINDICATION.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:17 PM
Bertolli?!?...

No worries-- mistakes happen. Thanks for running, guys! Lots of great write-ups!

Misses in bold, which is most of them, which is not really a surprise:
  1. Final Fantasy Legend III "Divine Battle"
  2. Final Fantasy IV (SNES) "The Dreadful Fight"
  3. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night "Wandering Ghosts"
  4. Nier "Hills of Radiant Wind"
  5. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan "Melody"
  6. Final Fantasy III (Famicom) "Cloud of Darkness Theme"
  7. Anticipation "Title Screen"
  8. Startropics "Dungeon Theme"
  9. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest "Battle 1"
  10. Katamari Damacy "The Moon and the Prince"
  11. Phantasy Star (SMS) "Cave"
  12. Suikoden III "Exceeding Love"
  13. 7th Saga "Battle in a World of Light"
  14. Final Fantasy VI "Spinach Rag"
  15. Shadowgate (NES) "Twilight"
  16. Mega Man Soccer "Wood Field"
  17. Tetris (GB) "A-Type"
  18. Shovel Knight "Strike the Earth!"
  19. Earthbound "Buy Somethin' Will Ya!"
  20. Street Fighter II "Opening Title"
  21. Vandal Hearts "Burning Sorrow (Ending)"
  22. Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete "Wings"
  23. Mother 3 "Even More Intense Guys"
  24. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door "Petal Meadows"
  25. Dragon Warrior "Overworld Theme"

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan - I'm not surprised that Ouendan didn't make the cut, but I am disappointed. One of my absolute faves, and one of the hardest games to choose a favourite track for. I can't believe that it didn't get a single vote besides me.

Final Fantasy III (Famicom) - This absence did surprise me. People are super unfair to this game, but I thought that people at least generally agreed that the soundtrack is aces. That Cloud of Darkness theme just... Hrnnng.

Anticipation - This game has a ridiculously good soundtrack for an obscure NES game that no one but me played. One of David Wise's first efforts.

Startropics - Glad to see one other Startropics vote, but surprised that there weren't more. Like FFIII, I thought this was a game that people are unfair to but still liked the music for.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Genuinely floored that this didn't make it. Only one other vote, even? I guess the silver lining is that I wasn't spoiling when I mentioned it in my FFL3 post up-thread?

Phantasy Star (SMS) - I never expected this to make it, and I'm actually pleased that I miraculously wasn't the only vote for it! Huzzah!

Suikoden III - I knew that Suikoden 1 & 2 were going to get more votes, but I was still hoping that this might squeeze on at the bottom, just like it did on the previous list. Oh well.

7th Saga - As I've mentioned on more than one occasion, I've been known to listen to the 2-second long victory jingle for this on loop. I love the music in this game, which does a lot to... sand off the rough edges when I play it.

Shadowgate (NES) - It's a sad thing that Shadowgate's list aspirations have ended here.

Mega Man Soccer - No one likes this game as much as I do, and no one likes the music in it as much as I do either. This is legit my favourite Mega Man soundtrack, but people always think that I'm joking or trolling when I say that.

Tetris (GB) - Admittedly not really much of a "soundtrack", per se, but holy shit the few tunes that are there are some of the catchiest tunes ever to grace a video game.

Street Fighter II - I can't believe that this didn't make it. Even accounting for the PM errors, I would have thought that it would be a shoo-in. So many of these themes are so iconic. I don't even like fighting games, but this was one of the first games to go on my list.

Vandal Hearts - Gotta rep my personal brand here. I've spent a lot of hours playing this game, and I still love the music for it. Super stoked that someone else voted for it too!

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete - Quick show of hands for who can sing the intro and/or the boat song from memory. Admittedly a pretty nostalgic choice, and not one that I expected to actually make it.

Mother 3 - I not only thought that this would rank, but I thought it might our-rank Earthbound. Nope! I just played this earlier this year and loved it, and the music was a big part of that.

Dragon Warrior - Enix nailed the music right out of the gate, and has been remixing it in later games ever since. The theme to my childhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Arcana (Boss Theme)
Ooo, good pull. This one just narrowly missed my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Risk of Rain
Another good pull, and another that just narrowly missed my own list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraeg View Post
Out of the ones that didn't, I expected my PC game nominations to be futile, but am surprised by the omissions of Valkyria Chronicles and especially Etrian Odyssey.
Yeah, I was really surprised that no EO game placed as well. On Talking Time, no less! I'm guessing that there was a fair amount of vote splitting? It was one of the last cuts from my own list, and I've started playing EO3 since submitting my list, and would probably include it if I was to make a new list right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraeg View Post
Steamworld Heist
Maaan, I'm bummed that I didn't think to vote for Heist. That soundtrack is aces.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Find Your Reason

Well, since evveryone's doing it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef
Here's mine, from best to least best:

1 Chrono Cross (PS1) - "The Girl Who Stole A Star"
2 NieR: Automata (PS4/PC) - "Weight of the World/the End of YoRHa"
3 Nier (PS3) - "Gods Bound By Rules"
4 Okami (PS2/Wii) - "The Sun Rises"
5 Final Fantasy IV (SNES) - "Main Theme of Final Fantasy IV"
6 Chrono Trigger (SNES) - "Schala's Theme"
7 Katamari Damacy (PS2) - "Katamari on the Rock"
8 Persona 5 (PS4) - "Life Will Change"
9 We Love Katamari (PS2) - "Disco Prince"
10 Final Fantasy VI (SNES) - "Terra's Theme"
11 Persona 3 (PS2) - "Burn My Dread"
12 Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne (PS2) - "Large Map ~ Last Area"
13 Final Fantasy XII (PS2) - "The Battle for Freedom"
14 Xenogears (PS1) - "Premonition"
15 Lost Odyssey (XB360) - "Main Theme"
16 Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS) - "Tokyo"
17 El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (PS3) - "From Heaven Above, the Bell of Hope Echoes"
18 Crypt of the Necrodancer (PC) - "Mausoleum Mash (W/Shopkeeper)"
19 Castlevania Curse of Darkness (PS2) - "Eneomaos Machine Tower"
20 Mega Man 2 (NES) - "Wily 1"
21 Drakengard 3 (PS3) - "Black Song"
22 Mega Man 9 (Wii/PS3/XB360) - "Thunder Tornado"
23 Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) - "Counterattack ~Battle With the Colossus~"
24 Sigma Harmonics (NDS) - "Rippling Dream"
We Love Katamari It was a tossup between this and the original, and the original won simply because it was the original and thus allowed this one to exist. But tracks like "Everlasting Love", "Baby Universe", and my pick, "Disco Prince" are right up there with Katamari Damacy's. The animal version of "Katamari on the Rocks", "Sun-baked Savannah", is both a treat and absolutely hilarious.

Persona 3 As I mentioned before, P3 was THE introduction to Persona/Megaten music for me, and I bet lots of other RPG players who had no idea an RPG could sound like this. I mean, here you are, summoning real-world mythological entities and world deities to do battle with the very concept of Death itself, and it's all... high-schoolers? At the sound of hip-hop? And J-rap? Where's the opera, where's the grand symphonies, where's the dramatic overtures? But because it doesn't use any of that, because it used contemporary music styles, it works. It made the experience much more real. And there's such sheer cohesion in the soundtrack with its many callbacks to the Burn My Dread and Memories of You leitmotifs, which tie not just the soundtrack together but also the two primary themes of the game: your own mortality, and what meaning you give your life.

Burn My Bread Burn My Dread gets a lot of flak for its unintelligible, mondegreen-happy lyrics, but its central motif is sill a pretty great one. It's all about accepting the fear of death, facing it, and living with it without running away. It only makes sense for it to come back for the ultimate (albeit scripted) battle, mixing in aspects of Mass Destruction, when you are literally staring Death in the face.

I would have chosen "The Battle for Everyone's Souls" as my pick, but like I said earlier, that's cheating Even Final Fantasy IV refrained from using "The Prologue/Theme of Final Fantasy" as a battle theme, and as incredible a concept as it is to use "Poem of Everyone's Souls", the theme of the Velvet Room, the bonafide theme to the Persona franchise, and representative of your innermost self, as THE last battle theme? And as absolutely amazing as the rearrangement itself is? It's not really P3's own composition

Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne This game's NA name is a superb match. The music is dark, mystical, pitch-perfect to a world destroyed and reduced to a literal cosmic egg where gods and demons fight over the remains of mankind to create a new reality. The character themes run the gamut from the melancholy to the menacing, and the final boss battles are weird, alien, or simply "oh shit what have I done". You ARE fighting an aspect of God and Lucifer in these, and you'd EXPECT some angelic choir or an O Fortuna-style piece, like One Winged Angel did, but you get a completely alien synth instead. No other SMT game has even come close to matching these.

My pick was "Large Map ~ Last Area", as it perfectly encapsulates the meaning of SMT Nocturne. It picks up the main leitmotifs/theme songs of the game and turns them into a "last stand" theme. You're about to face God's judgement and create a new reality, and this is the best possible theme to go with that.

Lost Odyssey A criminally underappreciated game, I'm sure it would have had many more fans had it come out on PS3 instead of the 360. It's basically Nobuo Uematsu channeling all his 16-bit Final Fantasy/Joe Hisaishi education into an even more cinematic score, with callbacks to 70s film scores. Like FFIV, picking one theme from this beautiful OST was ridiculously hard, so in the end I just HAD to go with the Main Theme. If that's not the purest, most refined essence of Uematsu, I don't know what is.

Shin Megami Tensei IV Believe me, I'm as surprised as anyone I picked this instead of SMT Strange Journey. But as much as I love SJ, SMTIV won for its richer instrumentation and more varied compositions. SJ is so in love with O Fortuna and Dies Irae that sometimes tracks meld into each other; IV never lets you forget exactly what each track conveys and what it represents. My pick, "Tokyo" is probably my favorite part of the whole game.

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron OK, now THIS is what a divine battle between Heaven and Hell sounds like! Another horribly unappreciated gem --though, granted, the game part needs a lot of polish-- this game just ooooooozes art, and the music often exceeds the already trippy visuals. It's an acid dream involving an acid-washed jean-wearing Enoch, on the cusp of his transfiguration, teaming up with a pre-fall Lucifer to hunt down the fallen Watchers in a century-spanning battle across dimensions, from Heaven to Hell to everything in between. What kind of music can even match that? Well, THIS music matches that. Again, another OST where it was painful picking just one favorite piece.

Crypt of the Necrodancer Let's just... let's just feature the whole thing. I utterly suck at this game, I've never even SEEN the Golden Lute, but DAMN if I don't love sucking at it. Of course, when the game is centered on the very concept of music, when the gameplay is based on keeping up with the beat, literally dancing your way through dungeons, it damn better have jaw-dropping compositions, right? Well, it does. It does indeed.

Castlevania: Curse of Darkness I love Catlevania OSTs. SCIV is one of my favorite all-time soundtracks. But Curse of Darkness is, in my opinion, the purest expression of the franchise --in musical terms, I mean. I blame Lament of Innocence and CoD's own lackluster gameplay for its lack of popularity, but you can't get more Castlevania, you can't get more Gothic, than Eneomaos Machine Tower.

Drakengard 3 It's Nier's Keiichi Okabe, of course it's good. Doesn't have the emotional impact of the Nier series, but as pure music, it's gorgeous. And while both the main theme, The Black Song, and the end credits theme, This Silence Is Mine, are as beautiful and sad as Ashes of Dreams, I gave the nod to Black Song.

Mega Man 9 Honestly? It absolutely blows MM3 and ANY other Mega Man but 2 out of the water. There is not a single weak piece here; they're all eminently hummable, and the one track Capcom picked to represent MM9 in the release trailers, Thunder Tornado, is definitely the most representative of this (short-lived) rebirth.

Sigma Harmonics I... have to confess. I haven't actually played this game. But ever since I ran into the music, man. Like Crypt of the Necrodancer, it's a game whose central theme IS music, so you'd expect it to deliver in awesomeness, and it delivers wonderfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
17. Ninja Gaiden 2 (NES) "Ending Part 2"
Oh, man, I remembered Ninja Gaiden II days after submitting my list, and I kept beating my head against the wall for that omission. While FFIV broke open the floodgates for actual cinematic scores, the NGs provided an excellent glimpse into that future, and the borderline 80s/90s animesque stage tracks instill such perfect atmosphere to their respective levels --Midnight Runner (Going Gets Tough) is level-headed and heroic, and makes for a great "main theme"; The Parasprinter is a rush through a deadly maze, desperate-sounding; Fire Cavern is almost Arabesque; and Unlimited Moment is mystical, wistful.

But your choice, Ending 2, is amazing. It desperately wants to be made into a J-pop song, and I love it

You should also check out the official arranged soundtrack. It's the animest "90s anime" anime that ever anime'd.

Quote:
Again, the lack of Street Fighter 2 is mind-boggling. For better or worse, I keep trying to think of some rational reason why it didn't even get a runner-up spot. Street Fighter 2 ranks up there with Mario and Final Fantasy in terms of its historical importance to me and the OST is huge part of that.
I dunno everyone else, but for me, personally? I adore the SF2 soundtrack, but it didn't make my list because the samples are so short. I hum it all the time --my favorites are the Ending Theme, Blanka, Ryu, M.Bison, Cammy, and Vega, in that order-- but I can't see myself getting the soundtrack to listen to standalone, which was my #1 criteria. I got the remixes, but those didn't count for this contest.

Last edited by Zef; 10-12-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:23 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Co-running this list has been a blast. Preparing my own list gave me ample opportunity to revisit old favourites, but in listening to your choices I got to discover brand new music and reassess old music I'd previously taken for granted. This past month has been a constant musical journey for me, and I couldn't be more grateful. Plus, in the research I did for my blurbs, I got to learn many an interesting thing about their development (for instance, I'm never going to get over that Koji Kondo thinks that Mario is cool). I can only hope this was the same for all of you.

Thanks to everyone who participated and/or followed along with the thread. And special thanks to Positronic Brain, who not only allowed me to co-host this with him, but shot down my stupider ideas and refined my better ones.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to listen to some non-video game music for the first time in a month.

Full disclosure: I actually kind of like Sonic Eraser's music.

As for my list…
  1. Xenoblade ["Satorl Marsh (Night)"]
  2. Tales of Legendia ["The Man in Red Armor"]
  3. Chrono Cross ["The Scars of Time"]
  4. Jet Set Radio Future ["Teknopathic"]
  5. Katamari Damacy ["Lonely Rolling Star"]
  6. We Know the Devil ["A New Apple"]
  7. Shadow of the Colossus ["Swift Horse"]
  8. Super Castlevania IV ["Forest of Monsters"]
  9. ICO ["Coffin"]
  10. Final Fantasy VI ["Terra's Theme"]
  11. Ecco the Dolphin (Sega CD) ["Aqua Vistas"]
  12. Nier ["Kaine / Escape"]
  13. Final Fantasy Tactics ["Antipyretic"]
  14. Wild Arms 3 ["Ready! Lady Gunner!!"]
  15. MOTHER 3 ["Alec's Log Cabin"]
  16. Super Metroid ["Lower Brinstar"]
  17. Mega Man 3 ["Gemini Man"]
  18. Xenoblade X ["Z10 Briefing"]
  19. Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance ["Clock Tower Casualty"]
  20. Terranigma ["Overworld"]
  21. Castlevania: Lament of Innocence ["Rinaldo's Cabin"]
  22. Ys III (PC Engine) ["Illburns Ruins"]
  23. Castlevania Chronicles (PS1) ["Theme of Simon"]
  24. Streets of Rage 2 ["Never Return Alive"]
  25. Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker ["Title"]
Old 10-12-2017, 12:26 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Most importantly, though, Hotline Miami would have made it.
I see it tied with Nocturne at 53 with matching number of points and mentions, though
Old 10-12-2017, 12:30 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
I see it tied with Nocturne at 53 with matching number of points and mentions, though
That's the tally we used for the rankings, but as said a couple lists were accidentally missed— so they aren't included in that tally.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:33 PM
Out Of Warranty

Oh, right, closing words. My last post as a host!

First, I want to thank my co-conspirator Conchobhar. This past few weeks haven't been really good to me, and frankly without Conchobhar's help I'd probably still be counting votes and I would have made a lot more stupid mistakes. It was his dedication and his ideas that made this list ten times better than it would have been. So thank you so, so much.

I also am in debt with everybody else who contributed - from those who wrote us a few words for the Honourable Mentions to those guests who helped us with the entries we weren't familiar with. You too made this list richer.

And I want to thank everybody else for their participation. I didn't expect to win the nomination round for this list, and I certainly wasn't expecting the deluge of entries we got. Thank you for sending your lists, and/or for commenting in this thread. This forum's the best, guys.

Except when it comes down to musical taste. I'm not thanking you for not making Chrono Cross #1. Seriously, Talking Time

Oh, and one last thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Man, only five left. And I feel like they would have to be FF VI, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Katamari Damacy and Undertale.
Issun, can you tell me the winning numbers of this friday's european lottery? I'm not greedy, 5 out of 6 will do ^_^
Old 10-12-2017, 12:39 PM
Out Of Warranty

I almost forgot.... Remember that the next list is Dracula's Top 25 Toys and Toylines. You're still in time to enter, and I have in good authority that vampires are better at counting votes that us mere mortals.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:40 PM
Bob

I'm sad my number 1 didn't make the list and wasn't mentioned otherwise, because Fez truly is an astounding soundtrack I would have liked to share with others, although it seems like it was in an unfortunate middle ground where two (or three) people voted for it. I'll go through my picks that didn't make it as well as the top ranks when I feel better, it's been tough to listen to music with my ear problems right now.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:41 PM
Love is OGR

1. Super Castlevania IV "Forest of Monsters"
2. Vagrant Story "Factory"
3. Perfect Cherry Blossom "Bloom Nobly, Ink-Black Cherry Blossom ~ Border of Life"
4. Nier "Shadowlord's Castle / Memory"
5. G-Darius "B.T. Dutch"
6. Street Fighter EX Plus α "Precious Heart"
7. Castlevania Chronicles "Thrashard in the Cave"
8. Eschatos "Silver Lining"
9. Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City "That's the Beginning of the Adventure"
10. Tekken 2 "Black Winter Night Sky"
11. Castlevania: Lament of Innocence "Dark Night Toccata"
12. Cho Ren Sha 68K "Pleasure Trip"
13. Marvel Super Heroes "Captain America Stage"
14. Breath of Fire III "To a Distant Place"
15. Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge "Praying Hands"
16. Nier: Automata "A Beautiful Song"
17. Snatcher (PC-8801) "Theme of Ending"
18. Final Fantasy XIII "The Gapra Whitewood"
19. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood "Cross a Fear"
20. SaGa Frontier "Last Battle ~ Asellus"
21. Read Only Memories "Saving the World"
22. Metal Black "Time"
23. Final Fantasy VII "You Can Hear the Cry of the Planet"
24. Chrono Cross "Jellyfish Sea"
25. Suikoden "Passacaglia"

~Notes on the Unranked~

Perfect Cherry Blossom - Absolutely had to have some ZUN. I went with an obvious and iconic soundtrack, but the personal connection is significant because it was my first exposure to his compositional quirks, among which rank super sentimental chord progressions, trumpet and percussion samples bordering on abrasive, and extremely fiddly and manic melodic structures. Somehow it's all endearing when it coalesces together, and Perfect Cherry Blossom is one of the most blatantly emotional scores within that particularity.

G-Darius - And here's the famed OGR, or Hisayoshi Ogura, in what is certainly his definitive work to me, within a series he defined from the start. Synths as deep as the ocean clashing against the clangs of biomechanical lifeforms in a revelry that's equal parts primordial and futuristic. You will see the creation of new lives.

Street Fighter EX Plus α - Okay. You want some hard truths? There's nothing, absolutely nothing, in Street Fighter's entire musical legacy that compares to what Ayako Saso, Takayuki Aihara and Shinji Hosoe achieved over the course of their involvement with the EX series. The three games are collectively the best soundtrack composed for a fighting game, and choosing one over the others is a purely semantic distinction. Even track choice is largely a moot issue because it's all so incredibly consistent, inventive and delightful.

Castlevania Chronicles - This soundtrack embodies Castlevania. The series and its lasting appeal is built on the specific contrasts between presumed subject matter and tonal execution of the former, and I can scarcely think of anything that better lives up to that ethos than what Sota Fujimori, then/future Bemani maestro, did with the already sterling material provided to him. Hard-hitting FM synth crunch transformed into airy electronica and dance beats, virtuosic slap bass exhibitions and bombastic orchestral anthems, and I transformed into a prostrating mess on the floor.

Eschatos - Yousuke Yasui's ode, tribute and continuation of the grand legacy of FM SYNTH, with all the blazing heroism of a shooter soundtrack, wrapped in orchestral hits, driving percussion and general tremendous enthusiasm projecting from every note and synthesized handclap. The highest melodrama for your earholes.

Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City - Yuzo Koshiro is a machine with his Etrian Odyssey work. To be sure, such a high quality standard risks roteness with prolonged exposure, but it's difficult to not be impressed with any one of the soundtracks he's crafted to represent lonely map charting voyages. I think he reached a sort of creative apex with the series's culmination on DS hardware, while he still worked within the framework of FM synth or its approximation on the system's sound hardware. I'm more receptive to the ambiguities and, indeed, freedom, of synth instruments purely representing synth audio, in contrast to his later adoption of live instruments.

Tekken 2 - The other peak of fighting game music for me. I struggle to describe how Yoshie Takayanagi and Yoshie "Strong Yoshie" Arakawa's masterpiece makes me feel. Exceedingly dramatic from the start, it excels in every field it attempts, from serene stillness to groovy jams, back to imposing austerity and upbeat slams. It's serious to a fault and goofy as hell. It's Tekken.

Cho Ren Sha 68K - Loser Kashiwagi's seminal shooter soundtrack. The excellent track titles speak to the score's tonal qualities: a bittersweet, even melancholic burst of action in a lonesome universe, juxtaposed with more traditional electronic flourishes characteristic of the genre. It works like nothing else.

Marvel Super Heroes - Capcom's CPS-2 arcade system board was host to a huge number of era-defining games, and there's one area where it was definitive above all others: its sound. The specific tenor of CPS-2 games is immediately recognizable and pleasing, and whether that's due to the characteristics of the hardware, or the consistency of the composers who worked with it, it's difficult to say. In any case, Marvel Super Heroes represents that soundscape excellently, brought to us by some of its most important architects: Takayuki and Yuki Iwai. There are several tracks in this game that define the characters for me as much as decades upon decades of stories about them. It's the soundtrack comic book-derivative games should have and be inspired by.

Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge - How did Hidehiro Funauchi do it? One from the group of composers who scored the similarly superb predecessor to Belmont's Revenge, the sequel represented a solo work on the Game Boy, with a far expanded scope. As if motivated by the circumstances, Funauchi's ambition seemingly also blossomed, and the score is, in a word, transcendent. This isn't some "oh isn't that cute" modest also-ran, but a legitimate masterwork in a series full of such occasions. Perhaps even more so, for its sheer audacity to dazzle against all odds.

Snatcher (PC-8801) - Snatcher has had many different iterations of its music. My pick is always the sublime PC-8801 score, highlighting the cold menace and overwrought sentimentality of the game's events with equal expertise.

Final Fantasy XIII - As much a vote for Final Fantasy XIII the soundtrack as it is for the spellbinding talent of Masashi Hamauzu in general. This is the score I'm personally most familiar with from him. In a way it's almost too vast and dense to contemplate, but that reckless ambition is part of the appeal. Every idea gets explored here, from mournful dirges to blues intermissions, textural ambience and defiant battle anthems. And, as always, there is the piano, in the employ of a master.

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood - This, then, is another facet of the shifting identity and recontextualization of what Castlevania is and represents. In most things, Rondo of Blood is extremely, perhaps even exhaustively, in line with its lineage, but with the coming of the CD format the interstitial and promotional material adopted a glossy, primary-coloured anime sheen, bridging the ostensible gap between the stern-faced fantasy musclebeasts of old and the bright, garish and colorful contents of the games they inhabited more than ever before. Thus, the music direction, as if in sync, took a delightful step towards a danceable synth pop verve, with a renewed vigour of expression. In this specific context, it's simultaneously working against as well as with preconceived aesthetic notions, and that makes it immeasurably appealing to engage with.

Read Only Memories - 2Mello's score sings in a way the best soundtracks do: they linger in the periphery of your mind, echoing the contexts in which you experienced them, enriching themselves by accruing new layers upon those. I could try to deliberately disassociate to offer some profoundly "objective" academic estimation, as if such a thing existed to begin with or was desirable even if it did, but why bother? Music is emotion, and my emotions are tied up with the people and places represented by these songs. A contender for the most affecting credits theme of all time.

Metal Black - An early work by the former Zuntata member Yasuhisa "Yack" Watanabe, Metal Black is unbridled sorrow and regret in audio form. Its context as a score to a shooter—one of the most inherently and flagrantly violent genres—only heightens the sense of tragic futility that permeates its atmosphere, while still offering a glimmer of hope. A singular achievement.

--------

Many, many thanks to Conchobhar and Positronic Brain for organizing and running this list through the weeks. I'm very appreciative of the prolonged and sustained writing effort that was put into each of the posts, as they were likely often about subjects other people had essentially chosen for you, and necessitated additional improvisation and research. It turned out well, and I had a good time following the process.

Finally, about all the "I can't believe (x) didn't rank" comments: twenty-five soundtracks is an atrociously low number to condense anyone's sum totality of musical tastes into. All of us who participated made cuts, and none can claim that the submitted list represents anyone in full. They're just small slivers of musical morsels, meant to appetize and intrigue. I hope people become exposed to something they hadn't considered before through them.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:48 PM
Leading Sigma's Sleigh

I'll post my list and thoughts later. First, though: Thanks for running this, conc and PB. It was a lot of fun.

I'm genuinely surprised to see that Tactics Ogre only got 2 votes. It was my #3, and it just edges out FFT as my favorite "Basiscape" soundtrack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudik View Post
Also I hope some people voted for bomberman because I completely forgot to include Bomberman Hero
I voted for Bomberman 64 2, at least.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:02 PM
Video Monster

Yo Zef.

I finished SMTIV a month ago or so and that "Tokyo" track is still in my head.
The whole soundtrack is a masterpiece
Old 10-12-2017, 01:10 PM
Out Of Warranty

Default Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We

Didn't make it are in bold.
  1. Persona 5,"Beneath The Mask"
  2. Chrono Cross,"Dream from the Shore - Another World"
  3. Persona 4,"Reach Out To The Truth"
  4. Xenogears,"Gathering Stars in the Night Sky"
  5. Gitaroo Man,"The Legendary Theme"
  6. Katamari Damacy,"Que Sera Sera"
  7. Final Fantasy VIII,"Omen"
  8. Chrono Trigger,"Chrono Trigger"
  9. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  10. Final Fantasy Tactics,"Run Past Through The Plain"
  11. Final Fantasy VI,"Terra's Theme"
  12. Xenoblade Chronicles,"Gaur Plains"
  13. Vagrant Story,"Climax of the Grayland Incident"
  14. Symphony of the NIght,"The Final Tocatta"
  15. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time ,"The Setting Sun"
  16. Shadow of the Colossus,"The Opened Way"
  17. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker,"Ocean"
  18. Secret of Mana,"Sorcerer (Battle with Thanatos)"
  19. Shovel Knight,"The Betrayer"
  20. Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner, "ALOIVIA"
  21. Final Fantasy X,"To Zanarkand"
  22. Civilization IV,"Baba Yetu"
  23. Crypt of the Necrodancer,"Disco Descent"
  24. Guacamelee,"Santa Luchita"
  25. Life Is Strange,"Max and Chloe"

Uh, looks like my musical tastes are too mainstream - or too in synch with TT's collective consciousness. All of my Top 14 made it in!

About those that didn't made the cut....

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time was a revelation, back then. The use of music and chorus to heighten the battles was masterful. I've been keeping an eye in Inon Zur's career since then, and while he has made some good stuff ("Leliana's Song" is incredible) this is the OST of him I like best.

Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner's soundtrack is one of the highlights of the PS3 era. Is full of techno songs with great choirs (maybe you'ld like it, Rya). I chose "ALOIVIA" not because it's the best, but because it encapsulates the style of the OST. "Ardjet" is also very good.

Crypt of the Necrodancer is so gooood.... It's one of the games I never skip the intro, just because of the music. Everybody is nuts about "Crypteque", but for my money the most memorable one is "Disco Descent", the theme of the first level. Certainly it's the one you'll hear the most

Guacamelee is my sentimental choice. It's good, but frankly it could be much worse and I'd still like it because of the cultural resonance of the arrangements. But not only does it have good compositions, you can tell the music is a labor of love. My favorite is "Santa Luchita".

And Life Is Strange's soundtrack is amazing. I put it in last place because it's mostly licensed tracks, but they fit the mood of the game quite well. The Dontnod guys know how to weaponize songs for maximum effect. The score is good, though, particularly "Max & Chloe", the theme of the two portagonists. It plays during the closing credits and in key scenes where the titular characters have a heart to heart (most memorable in that sweet pool conversation on Episode 3, which can be either two friends relaxing together or go into straight shameless flirting ig you play your cards right). it's sad and heartouching, just like a theme from the Sad Lesbians in the Pacific Northwest genre should be.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:16 PM
graffiti programmer

This was an awesome experience! First time I've voted in one of these, and it was great to get exposed to a few soundtracks I'd never heard.

Here's my list, with ones that didn't make it bolded:

1. Secret of Mana - "Fear of the Heavens"
2. Chrono Trigger (SNES) - "Chrono Trigger"
3. Fez - "Continuum"
4. NieR - "Song of the Ancients"
5. Earthbound - "You've Come Far, Ness"
6. Xenogears - "One Who Bears Fangs at God"
7. Sonic 3 - "Hydrocity Zone Act 2"
8. Final Fantasy VI (SNES) - "Dark World"
9. Streets of Rage 2 - "Go Straight"
10. Persona 4 - "Signs of Love"
11. Final Fantasy VII - "Anxious Heart"
12. Final Fantasy Tactics - "Trisection"
13. NieR: Automata - "City Ruins"
14. Dynamite Headdy - "Headdy the Hero"
15. Katamari Damacy - "Lonely Rolling Star"
16. Legend of the Mystical Ninja - "Headquarters of the Otafu Army"
17. Mega Man 3 - "Wily Fortress 1"
18. Castlevania 3/Akumajou Densetsu 3 - "Beginning"
19. Actraiser - "Birth of the People"
20. Undertale - "Dating Start!"all
21. Street Fighter 2 (SNES) - "Ken's Theme"
22. Duck Tales - "The Moon"
23. Persona 5 - "Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There"
24. Hotline Miami - "Daisuke"
25. Hyper Light Drifter - "The Last General"

I was... pretty consensus-y! But here's me saying my piece on the ones that didn't make it, because I recommend all of them:

Fez is a powerful ambient soundtrack by Rich Vreeland (aka Disasterpeace) - probably the closest OST I've ever heard to Brian Eno's Music for Airports. The whole thing is tremendous - the album version is worth a listen, but the version in the game is reactive to what you're actually doing - so during night cycles, the more serene and less crowded versions of the themes play. My featured track, "Continuum", is a bit-degraded MIDI version of Chopin's Prelude Op. 28 that plays during the "bad ending" - I didn't know that at the time, but again I was reduced to tears without understanding why.

My now-fiancée had exactly the same experience with it when we played through it on a snowy weekend as we started dating, and it was one of many signs that I'd found my match.

Hyper Light Drifter is another work by Vreeland so I want to comment on it here as well - a degraded soundtrack for a degraded world. Vreeland released this nearly a year after his soundtrack for the genuinely terrifying "It Follows", and it has a little of that OST's John Carpenter influence. The rattling bass square waves and backing synth strings set an oppressive tone, especially given how bright and colorful the game's palette is.

My featured track, "The Last General", is tied to the boss the player is most likely to fight first. If you haven't heard anything about Hyper Light Drifter, be aware: It's very difficult until you get the hang of it. The titular Last General is the first major roadblock many players will run up against, and you can expect to die upwards of a dozen times while trying to figure out his patterns. Meanwhile, this song trudges on in the background - a mournful piece that seems to accept the fact it's doomed to loop forever. The melody rises, but never for long.

Sonic 3 is ... frankly the soundtrack I was most dismayed to see off the list. Since my childhood it had been practically a given that Sonic had some of the best soundtracks ever written. This one even had Michael Jackson as a ghostwriter! This was also the first Sonic game to give Act 2 a remix of the Act 1 music -- I voted in Hydrocity Act 2, but in retrospect I think it works as well as it does because it builds off of Hydrocity Act 1, one of the funkiest songs in the series. I'm glad they finally made another Sonic game this year, after going completely dormant with the release of Sonic & Knuckles in 1994.

Dynamite Headdy is a friggin masterpiece of platforming on Genesis. It's nearly as manic as Treasure's better-known Gunstar Heroes, but trades in that game's bullet-hell adjacent gameplay by playing with settings, gimmicks, and unusual bosses. The soundtrack is just as playful and chaotic. There are a bunch of tracks worth your time, like "Schumacher Fly", "South Town Theme", and "Sky High", but for an introduction, the dizzying stereo pan and kitchen-sink arrangement of the main theme "Headdy the Hero" is a good introduction. Recommended with headphones.

Legend of the Mystical Ninja is, IMO, an overlooked gem of the 16-bit generation. Later games in the series would often center on the conflict between Western and traditional Japanese culture, but those two competing themes first surfaced in this game - stage 3 is an amusement park in medieval Japan, including a game show and an arcade where you can play level 1 of Gradius. The 80-some track soundtrack covers a ton of ground while keeping similar sound fonts between the vast majority of the songs, giving the listener the impression of a killer house band going back and forth between fusion jazz and pentatonic-scale "traditional" music. For the former, I had highlighted "Headquarters of the Otafu Army", but "King Ryukyu's Secret" is a little more bombastic. Listen to that bassline!

Street Fighter 2 is another one that requires no further introduction and I don't think I can say anything more about it other than that you have at least one of its songs in your head right now. I'm partial to "Ken's Theme", although I've been listening to Dee Jay's theme a lot recently.

Hotline Miami's soundtrack is a great match for the fever-dream psychedelic violence of the game it's in. There are a lot of driving house beats, but my pick was "Daisuke", which plays during post-mission interstitial scenes where you go to a video store or a pizza place - your post-adrenaline rush cooldown music.

SIDE QUESTION(s): Is there a dedicated thread for video game music? Should there be one? Where?
Old 10-12-2017, 01:23 PM
It's all good, man

Quote:
OK, first, the bad news.

Due to a mistake, we just realized there were a couple of lists that arrived into my inbox but weren't counted in the final tally. This wouldn't have affected anything in the Top 40, but it would have rearranged some stuff in the last places. Super Mario 2 & 3 would have placed, and Fez would have too. Xenoblade, Donkey Kong Country, Saga Frontier, Legend of Mana and Vagrant Story would have been kicked out.

Most importantly, though, Hotline Miami would have made it. And, if we had grouped together the votes for it and its pseudosequel Turbo, Street Figthter II would have made it right on#50.
Boo
Old 10-12-2017, 01:31 PM
Thanks for noticing me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozacrot View Post
Legend of the Mystical Ninja is, IMO, an overlooked gem of the 16-bit generation. Later games in the series would often center on the conflict between Western and traditional Japanese culture, but those two competing themes first surfaced in this game - stage 3 is an amusement park in medieval Japan, including a game show and an arcade where you can play level 1 of Gradius. The 80-some track soundtrack covers a ton of ground while keeping similar sound fonts between the vast majority of the songs, giving the listener the impression of a killer house band going back and forth between fusion jazz and pentatonic-scale "traditional" music. For the former, I had highlighted "Headquarters of the Otafu Army", but "King Ryukyu's Secret" is a little more bombastic. Listen to that bassline!
I love this game and don't know why nobody ever talks about it. One of the best games on SNES in my opinion. Criminally underappreciated.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:39 PM
All are Santa Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
I love this game and don't know why nobody ever talks about it. One of the best games on SNES in my opinion. Criminally underappreciated.
I'm over here nodding my head vigorously in agreement. The OST didn't make my list but it is one of the best games of the SNES, and the first game I can remember where a random rental was answered with buying the game outright the following week.

The other Goemon games I've played are pretty good but none of them ever came close to capturing the magic of Legend of the Mystical Ninja. My brother and I spent ridiculous amounts of time playing it; I can conjure up quite a bit of the music from memory.

Tags
atlus/jrpg dick riding , democracy was a mistake , erauqs si dlrow eht , hip to be a square wave , pronounced "eece" , top 50 countdown , treble with anticipation