The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-26-2018, 10:23 PM
i musnt run away

I've heard some speculations that White Diamond knew all along what Pink's game was, that unlike Yellow and Blue, she was wise to the scheme and just went along with things to let Pink learn a lesson on her own, as it were. Which obviously explains why they showed up to a cheering crowd and her quick and immediate acceptance of Steven as Pink when he showed up.

I do hope the pacing does take it down a couple notches after this. We've had a lot of pretty major doings-a-transpiring in short order with little room for the more intimate character moments that give this show such life.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:41 PM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Come to think of it... Why was that one colony Stevonnie got marooned on unfinished? Yellow doesn't seem the type to leave things undone.
It was finished -- the planet was cracked apart in the present, which judging from Homeworld is what happens to planets after too much Gem production
Old 07-27-2018, 12:14 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
It was finished -- the planet was cracked apart in the present, which judging from Homeworld is what happens to planets after too much Gem production

No, if you'll recall from "It Could Have Been Great", ideally a finished colony would look more like a webwork of various structures, having been hollowed out for every possible resource.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:52 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
White Diamond is definitely scary as fuck before we even see her. I didn't catch who plays her but the acting and animation really backs up the build up.
Christine Ebersole, another Broadway luminary. Husband accidentally spoiled this episode for me because Broadway Twitter was going nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkpen View Post
I do hope the pacing does take it down a couple notches after this. We've had a lot of pretty major doings-a-transpiring in short order with little room for the more intimate character moments that give this show such life.
When they were planning this season out they weren't sure if they'd be getting another season, so they wanted to end big. Presumably once we're past this it'll go back to being 80% delightful filler.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:59 PM
PUNK ROCK VAMPIRE DESTROY

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
It was teeming with life though, and Gem-occupied planets are specifically noted as being exhausted of all ability to support organic life.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:26 PM

That was a moon, complete with a moon-based diamond observation tower.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:30 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Greg: Garnet, should I be worried?
Garnet: Steven will be fine.

Oh dear...
Old 07-27-2018, 11:30 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

Random spoilery realizations:

As pointed out here... Remember how Pink crossed Pearl's arms and told her never to speak of their plan? Rose did the same thing to Garnet when she said "No more questions." In Know Your Fusion, Garnet said she can't ask questions.

One of the most important episodes of the whole series features a gay wedding where the brides swapped their usual gendered clothing. That's going to be hard for the censors in other countries to cut around.

Steven being the annoyingly precocious kid in the early episodes now seems appropriate (if still annoying) because now we know that Rose/Pink played exactly the same role to the Diamonds.

I forget who pointed this out on twitter but Pink basically left her repressive family (the Diamonds) to be with her girlfriend. A cosmic queer narrative. Also, it's a version of Paradise Lost where Satan is corrupted by humanity instead of the other way around.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:13 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Also, I'm sure this is a popular fan theory already since it seems so obvious to me now but...

Red, yellow and blue are primary colors and white is the combo of the primary colors, so, despite the fact that pink is a natural diamond color, was Pink supposed to be red (the rarest color of all diamonds in the real world) and is she, in the eyes of the diamonds, an off-color (albeit one "normal" enough to be allowed into the authority)? Other off-colors are treated pretty damned badly, but being born into the right family might have it's advantages...
Old 07-28-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Red, yellow and blue are primary colors and white is the combo of the primary colors
These two statements are never true within the same context.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:53 PM
We just don't know.

Cyan, Magenta and Yellow are the three colors in the subtractive model; Red, Blue and Green are the primary colors in the additive color model
Old 07-30-2018, 08:06 AM

Apparently Dove's footing the bill for several of these shorts as part of a body imaghe campaign. It's an odd (if thematically appropriate) tie-in, but it's neat to see the characters animated this way.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:29 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Awwww, that was pretty and really sweet. Are these announced somewhere? I don't really follow the SU social media so I didn't know it existed.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Awwww, that was pretty and really sweet. Are these announced somewhere? I don't really follow the SU social media so I didn't know it existed.
Literally the only outlet I saw talking about it was Autostraddle (lesbian culture site) so I think they're just gonna be random surprises.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:45 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

Save The Light will be released on Switch October 30. (I think it's also coming to PC sometime before then.)

If you didn't play it, this game is Paper Mario as balls and really good. Earlier releases had some pretty major glitches that took a while to be patched out, but it's all fine now. It isn't necessary to have played its (still good, but much more threadbare) mobile predecessor, Save The Light.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:04 PM
Discordia

I looked around to see if there were any decent SU action figures yet, and still nothing... There is frankly no good reason why I can't spend an irresponsible quantity of cash on a posable Peridot with limb enhancers and meep morps right at this instant.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:43 AM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

i caught up finally

this show

is Good
Old 08-05-2018, 01:22 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
this show

is Good
YES

iT IS
Old 08-17-2018, 01:31 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

the boy has had close friends telling him for years to watch Steven Universe, and so when we were both sick recently, we started watching the show from the beginning together.

He loved it and has now finished the first two seasons; now Mr. LRLR and I are watching S3 with him during our family nights.

going back and rewatching the beginning is an uncanny experience, because you get to see with the benefit of hindsight just how much the series was carefully planned from the very beginning, and just how much damn foreshadowing exists. there's at least one ep in either S1 or S2 where we get our first fleeting glimpse of White Diamond's character design!
Old 08-17-2018, 01:35 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I've been meaning to re-watch the series from the beginning. I've only re-watched a handful of episodes, so I'm sure it will be extremely rewarding.

I've been really busy lately, so I haven't seen the most recent few episodes. That will probably be one of the first things I do once I get my TV set up in my new place.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:32 PM
The Blue Hat Returns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
I looked around to see if there were any decent SU action figures yet, and still nothing... There is frankly no good reason why I can't spend an irresponsible quantity of cash on a posable Peridot with limb enhancers and meep morps right at this instant.
Same same SAME

Why are they leaving money on the table!?
Old 08-19-2018, 08:48 PM
Discordia

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cartoon View Post
Same same SAME

Why are they leaving money on the table!?
I have no idea. Extortion by the Funko cartel?

I want my gay wedding playset!
Old 08-20-2018, 08:04 AM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

It's really pretty amazing to me how little action figure-aisle merch seems to exist for the litany of CN programs that would apparently benefit from them. SU especially. I mean it's basically transformers
Old 08-20-2018, 01:28 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
It's really pretty amazing to me how little action figure-aisle merch seems to exist for the litany of CN programs that would apparently benefit from them. SU especially. I mean it's basically transformers
Well, it's basically Rock Lords.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:38 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

Kinda funny how we've come to the exactly opposite scenario from the 80s, where entire beloved shows were made up whole cloth to sell a toy line, and entire characters/vehicles were devised entirely to sell toys first and service the story later, and now we have shows with characters we desperately want toys and figures of, but there are none to be found.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:11 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

another thing that struck me on the rewatch:

So if you described Pearl and Amethyst's characters to somebody who hadn't watched the show and asked them to imagine what their voices sounded like, they would probably imagine something very similar to Deedee Magno-Hall and Michaela Dietz's performances. The only surprise would be in how fucking good Magno-Hall and Dietz are.

If you described Garnet's character to somebody and asked them to imagine her voice, they probably wouldn't expect Estelle's voice. I mean. Estelle is fucking perfect in the role, but it's definitely a role that feels unique to her strengths, whereas you could probably get similar performances from other good VAs for Pearl and Amethyst, if that makes sense.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:41 PM

To my understanding and from my experience working at a toy store, traditional toys and action figures don't really sell to kids the way they used to. Video games, blind bagged figurines, and adult collectibles are where it's at; and SU fortunately has all of those.

Also that version of Yahtzee that used Garnet's gauntlet as the cup.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:34 PM
Crazy Old Bird

We got a really cute Lion plush at Comic Con last year. Small print con stuff seems your best bet if you don't want to go with Funko.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:35 AM
The Blue Hat Returns!

My dander get up whenever I see a newer series like Rick and Morty or even Ducktales get a merch line with action figures while this still doesn't. It's not their fault, but I still bristle.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:56 AM
Family Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
To my understanding and from my experience working at a toy store, traditional toys and action figures don't really sell to kids the way they used to. Video games, blind bagged figurines, and adult collectibles are where it's at; and SU fortunately has all of those.

Also that version of Yahtzee that used Garnet's gauntlet as the cup.
I can say from visiting my niece and nephew that shows like Paw Patrol sell lots of toys.

I wonder if maybe the reason Steven Universe doesn’t have much merchandise for kids is that it’s not very popular with the youngsters? It gets pretty heavy sometimes, and there’s not a lot of adventuring or monster fighting after the first season.

Tags
cartoons , cats=body horror , cheap tactics , dew and doritos , don't call again , gay agenda , healing lacrimal essence , i panicked , i'm bob , lgbt , mom collection , playing with swords , rose schwartz , sadder and gayer , singing while crying , steven universe