The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-06-2018, 11:28 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
Great run of episodes, among the best of the series. And they pretty much resolved the show's whole conflict. The only big questions left are what's the deal with White Diamond, and can the corrupted gems be fixed. And I guess implicitly, is there more to say or are we headed into an extended ending a la Return of the King?
I don't read it that way. This looks like a ceasefire, a chance to characterize the villains a little further. The Diamond Authority still rule a repressive and oppressive colonialist space empire; caring about their little sister didn't stop them before, and it isn't gonna be enough to persuade them of the value of self-determination on its own.

They're Steven's grumpiest foes yet and he only just barely managed to make them acknowledge his existence. Even though he's now mature enough to have a facial hair, that boy hasn't powered up far enough to be able to persuade them of a principle.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:12 AM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

This show... is good.

As an aside I'm starting to feel that everyone saying "Obviously going to end soon" has never seen a television show before
Old 07-07-2018, 08:16 AM
Family Man

I had to watch the rest of the show on Dailymotion like a common criminal! Worth going to T.V. prison for, though.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:05 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
This show... is good.

As an aside I'm starting to feel that everyone saying "Obviously going to end soon" has never seen a television show before
No one has seen a television show like this before.

When I say it seems like SU is drawing to a close, that's because the show began with a ton of mysteries, character arcs, and foreshadowing, and the last season has resolved virtually all of them, falling one after another like dominoes. I speculate about what that means because it's fun to do so.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:52 PM
till the sheriff stops by

What really impressed me in the Reunited two parter is exactly how much stuff happened while all feeling completely organic and unrushed.

We get Garnet getting married (and first lesbian smoochies in an American kid's show, maybe), both Diamonds showing up, all the heroes vs Blue, the Cluster finally both coming into play and getting a big hero moment,

I also love that instead of Bismuth coming in the episode before for some time of dire need, Steven brought her out because, shit, we missed her and love her and she should be a wedding guest let's give this another chance.

There's still a lot to explore (rehabilitating the gems, redeeming Jasper, maybe changing the horrible social/political/belief structure of homeworld, Pearl's potential GF, will Onion grow up to be a super-criminal who is sort of a cross between Lupin the 3rd and Herbie the Fat Fury...), it really felt like they could have gotten us to true endgame very quickly while still being largely satisfying.

Also, I think Bongo might be half right, but I could see current events causing them to be more conflicted about their mission. Also, they might try to do what Pearl almost did to baby Steven and try to turn Steven back into Pink. That said, their reaction to the truth seems presented, for the moment, as not only a victory but a part where Steven reaches them emotionally and the animation and camera portrays them much more sympathetically, if just for a few moments.

Seriously, I have no real idea of where the show goes from here, but I love it.

Also, I want an entire Lonesome Lasso 50-issue series.

Last edited by Johnny Unusual; 07-07-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:57 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Just binged the whole week at once.

Holy fuck I love this show.

But also shit that was a lot of feels for where Iím at personally right now.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
[SPOILER]Garnet getting married (and first lesbian smoochies in an American kid's show, maybe)
Technically the first time those two characters kissed already happened the first time they were sharing the screen and not sharing a mouth (or was it the last time they had a fight?) Here though it's significant because it was A- Unambiguously on the lips. Apparently they were previously specifically not allowed to go there, so we had some misaimed lips, and B- while Ruby was wearing a big ol' gown so rationalizing bigots can't go calling her a guy.

Also I like how that was more or less immediately followed up with Dewey and the Mailman hooking up with each other after finally getting the picture that Garnet isn't available. Also Renaldo's coincidentally matching outfit.

Also I know that one bit in the last of these episodes probably had everyone else thinking of Attack on Titan but literally all I could think about the whole time was this.

My only real complaint with this batch is they really kinda keep sidelining Connie when she should theoretically be getting way more involved in things, and the cruel teasing of whatever Lapis/Peridot is going to be called officially. Like, I kinda thought that was what this whole thing was building up to what with the title and the foreshadowing and especially with the Garnet saying "this was supposed to be my day" right before LL shows up.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:42 PM
Chief Servbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
No one has seen a television show like this before.

When I say it seems like SU is drawing to a close, that's because the show began with a ton of mysteries, character arcs, and foreshadowing, and the last season has resolved virtually all of them, falling one after another like dominoes. I speculate about what that means because it's fun to do so.
All this is true but logic has rarely entered into when televisions end/ are cancelled, which what I meant. They can simply write more story if the spirit catches them (or the network can demand more, or cancel it without warning, etc).

Anyways some people seem to be most excited to see new Lapis/ Peridot designs and I can't really say they're wrong
Old 07-08-2018, 02:09 PM
oh my car

What I have heard is that there are two more episodes in this season, and then the next season is odd-length with 32 episodes, and I have neither confirmation nor denial of seasons beyond that.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:41 PM
Absolutely The Worst

How many more episodes are left for this bomb? There gonna be another one today?
Old 07-08-2018, 03:51 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaer View Post
How many more episodes are left for this bomb? There gonna be another one today?
The bomb has ended. We don't know when the next episode will air.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:00 PM
Absolutely The Worst

Ah, back to the normal SU life.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:10 PM
PUNK ROCK VAMPIRE DESTROY

Pronouns: She/Her

Really happy that Bismuth got redemption, now bring back Jasper.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:12 PM
PUNK ROCK VAMPIRE DESTROY

Pronouns: She/Her

oh shit can Garnet play the guitar now
Old 07-09-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
oh shit can Garnet play the guitar now
She was already halfway there.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:44 AM
King Of Space-Time

Via Joe Johnston's Tumblr

Quote:
Sorry, itís really hot in LA right now and Iím making bad jokes.

Also!

Old 07-10-2018, 08:47 AM
100% All Original

I love the detail in "Now We're Only Falling Apart" and "What's Your Problem" that Ruby doesn't leave enough room on the note for Sapphire's name because she doesn't have any foresight.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:02 AM
I have a Plan

YAY COOL AUNT SMITHY IS BACK
Old 07-10-2018, 08:15 PM
Mischief Maker

Some clipped audio for people
Old 07-11-2018, 08:02 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Nnnnng, Amazon, hurry up and upload the last episode, I want to seeee it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
What I have heard is that there are two more episodes in this season, and then the next season is odd-length with 32 episodes, and I have neither confirmation nor denial of seasons beyond that.
Is the next season full-on confirmed? I know there have been rumblings here and there that they've definitely been working on it, but I haven't seen an official confirmation yet.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:52 PM
YOU FOOL??

There's an official Which Gem Are You quiz and I took it because these things are fun and got Pearl, which gave me a quiet, smug sense of satisfaction so it must have been on the mark.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:52 PM
King Of Space-Time

I is a Steven
Old 07-11-2018, 08:04 PM
In anyone asks, I'm jolly

I got
Quote:
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>BD256A1CBBAD52C2</RequestId>
<HostId>
t6VdvMYLC/i2PeDgJ+U7pQHH/LcExQ1jZzAfZz1/DzFwKcqinYMUbwg+/Z35E750wdGwxt2Ffws=
</HostId>
</Error>
(Mine is clearly the best.)
Old 07-11-2018, 09:12 PM
Phantastic Oil

I am also apparently a Steven! I am okay with this!
Old 07-11-2018, 09:13 PM
King Of Space-Time

Try this.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:30 PM

I'm Garnet somehow. Cool, but probably not accurate.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:57 PM
I have a Plan

I like how one of the questions asks who your favorite is.

I also like how there are no bad answers.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:23 PM
Phantastic Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
I'm Garnet somehow. Cool, but probably not accurate.
You do have impressively destructive hands...
Old 07-12-2018, 01:22 AM
We just don't know.

I saw this grouped as 3 episodes that are each 2 shorter episodes long, which only matters as a classification because boy howdy I sure did tear up a lot at each of the ends of those 3 episodes.

It does feel like it's coming closer to a conclusion of the greater overarching story, but like, right in the middle of all this huge stuff going on we had an episode of Ruby being a cowboy on an Amethyst horse so it's not like there won't be breaks for beach city/slice of life stuff along the way.

In addition to seeing how this plays out, we also have to deal with Lars's return and his crew's arrival/integration, Lapis and Peridot's re-formations and the last step of development in their relationship (which I didn't think was particularly subtle even leading up to this, but there will be more exploration there) and White Diamond. And probably at least one more fuckin' Ronaldo episode.

White Diamond's absence in particular is conspicuous. Just like how Pink Diamond's absence was extremely conspicuous leading up to the reveal (which I realized partway through this block was partly or largely because having the same voice actress would be a dead giveaway.) But there's Something going on with White Diamond and I'd bet dollars to Big Donuts it's more than just "She's off somewhere doing something else." Seeing her hand alongside Blue and Yellow during the Flash throws a wrench in the fusion idea, as does the idea that Pink is younger than Blue and Yellow. But, like, what's the deal?
Old 07-12-2018, 03:24 AM

Pronouns: 'He' & co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
I also like how there are no bad answers.
That made some questions really hard to answer, haha.
I got Amethyst, and I wasn't feeling it, but in retrospect seems to be quite appropriate? Yeah, I'd put myself somewhere in Pearl +/- Amethyst, although I ain't no Giant Woman. XD

As for the last round of episodes I'm afraid I didn't enjoy them as much, specially the last one, partially due to Spoilers (thanks @#$%& twitter algorithm), partially because everything seemed to be solved all too quickly and thanks to New Powers As The Plot Demands again I 'unno, I liked them enough, had a "gay old time", and I understand they have to be rather quick about things due to the short episode structure but still, couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed. *shrug*

Tags
cartoons , cats=body horror , cheap tactics , dew and doritos , don't call again , gay agenda , healing lacrimal essence , i panicked , i'm bob , lgbt , mom collection , playing with swords , rose schwartz , sadder and gayer , singing while crying , steven universe