The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 09-10-2014, 05:52 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him
Default If every porkchop were perfect we wouldn't have hotdogs. The Steven Universe thread

How do we not have a thread for this show yet?

It's so dang good! My top three favorite episodes are So Many Birthdays, Tiger Millionaire, and Steven and the Stevens (the most recent one, which is once again phenomenal). If you're not watching this yet you should start.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:05 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

This is the best cartoon on television.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:32 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

I haven't watched this yet. It looks good. I don't like the name "Steven Universe" though.

Why should I watch this over any of the thousand other things that vie for attention? What makes it the best cartoon on television?
Old 09-12-2014, 09:20 AM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

It's funny and good and good.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:40 AM
of the Black Falcons

It has wonderful music and it's incredibly touching. Before creating SU, Rebecca Sugar worked on Adventure Time. If you have seen any episode with a really good song in it she probably wrote it.

Sam Bosma does the backgrounds:

Tiffany Ford does coloring:

And Ian Jones-Quarterly directs episodes.

Basically, there are tons of crazy talented people working on the show, and it looks and sounds amazing and is ultra sweet.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:17 AM
oh my car

It has Humor and Emotion, and excellent music. The show's creator is Rebecca Sugar, formerly a storyboarder for Adventure Time, who directed that show's most touching episodes with the best songs, before moving on to bigger and better things called Steven Universe.

The writing is in turn sweet and dark, with an impeccable sense of comedic timing and extremely strong and endearing characters. The superpowered premise allows for basically unlimited variety of both action and visual comedy, and there are hints of bigger stories to come.

It's part of this decade's wave of cartoons made by a new generation of animators, who grew up watching the artistically ambitious television cartoons of the 1990s and experiencing the initial fascination with anime, and as a result never even considered the notion that cartoons should be shallow or childish. What they're making appeals as much to the adults who make it as to the children the network advertises to, and that fact has a noticeable effect on the quality and substance of the result. Comparing it to the other stand-out products of this wave is useful: it's laid-back where Adventure Time is frenetic, and open where Gravity Falls is guarded, but compared to both I feel like the emotions are more genuine and the long-running mystery more organic.

It's only in its first season, but there hasn't been a single dud episode. The first two episodes, "Gem Glow" and "Laser Light Cannon," more or less define the tonal extremes of the show, the first emphasizing the zanier qualities and the second showing off its more sensitive side, though neither of them gets into the light existential horror elements that also shows up. The best ones run the complete gamut, though. You should watch Steven Universe because one recent episode had a scene that had me, a grown-ass man, simultaneously laughing and weeping, because it was so disarmingly heartbreaking and hilarious.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:54 AM
of the Black Falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
It's only in its first season, but there hasn't been a single dud episode. The first two episodes, "Gem Glow" and "Laser Light Cannon," more or less define the tonal extremes of the show, the first emphasizing the zanier qualities and the second showing off its more sensitive side, though neither of them gets into the light existential horror elements that also shows up. The best ones run the complete gamut, though. You should watch Steven Universe because one recent episode had a scene that had me, a grown-ass man, simultaneously laughing and weeping, because it was so disarmingly heartbreaking and hilarious.
Yes to the existential horror, and yes to laughing and weeping. It hits all kinds of crazy buttons that you didn't even know existed.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Family Man

I haven't enjoyed every episode of Steven Universe, but when it hits for me, it's hits hard. Last night's is possibly my favorite one yet, and like Bongo said, it was a perfect mix of laughing and weeping.

Plus, it re-invents the entire Magical Girl genre in ways no anime and manga have ever done. It's like what Sym-Bionic Titan did with Mecha shows.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:56 PM
Space Prez

From waaaaaay back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
You should watch Steven Universe because one recent episode had a scene that had me, a grown-ass man, simultaneously laughing and weeping, because it was so disarmingly heartbreaking and hilarious.
I was going to start re-watching from the beginning, just curious what scene you were referring to.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:54 PM
EARTH FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
From waaaaaay back:

I was going to start re-watching from the beginning, just curious what scene you were referring to.
My guess would be the climax of the watermelon episode.

On that note I saw something pointing out that Lapis's situation parallels Baby Melon's and lmfao it totally does.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:10 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
From waaaaaay back:

Pearl's scene near the climax of "So Many Birthdays."
Old 09-12-2014, 01:02 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post

Why should I watch this over any of the thousand other things that vie for attention? What makes it the best cartoon on television?
Because we said so.
/cracks knuckles
Old 09-12-2014, 03:52 PM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

I grabbed the first ep of this, not watched it all yet but I watched the opening and flicked through and boy is it gorgeous aesthetically. I'll watch tonight.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:04 PM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Holy shit Garnet is just my wife. A black, British-accented ass-kicker with, frankly, bangin' hips? Art reflects life!

This show is beautiful to look at and a pleasure to watch! The performances are great, all the characters are likeable and interesting. I'm not laughing out loud yet but I'm very taken with it. What a lovely program.

Edit: Two laughs out loud right after I posted.

Edit 2: Thumbs up. Very funny, quite moving in a couple of places. Preferred the second episode (Laser Light Cannon) to the first, but they were both fantastic! Best part: Fries guy going "what?"

Last edited by madhair60; 09-12-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:58 PM
Awoken Amaterasu Ohkami

The last episode was Dokes.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:11 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
(Laser Light Cannon)
I'm way behind on this show (I think the cat-fingers one is the most recent one I've seen), but "Laser Light Cannon" definitely sold me on it. The tension between the Gems and Steven's dad is so palatable, but they all keep a happy face on for Steven's benefit. In the course of ten minutes you saw an outline of these characters' lives, and it wasn't all rosy.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Outraged!

Steven and the Stevens is definitely my favorite so far.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:47 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
rosy
I get it

"So Many Birthdays" is my favorite.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Funko Superfan

For sure.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:28 PM
Conquers the World

Just saw Monster Buddies. After more than twenty episodes, it was really cool to see Steven intentionally use a gem power correctly!
Old 10-10-2014, 01:53 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

I'm working through this very slowly. The "balanced breakfast" gag in Together Breakfast got me laughing, especially the cut back to Steven's absurd expression. Great show.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:59 AM
Bob

It's interesting to see how the show emphasizes the dichotomy between the Gems and Greg, just like yesterday's episode.

Pearl can be a bit one-track minded, but it's really heartening to see how much she really (and the rest of the gems) really care for Steven.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:24 PM
Bob

Sadie's (and Lars's) characterization is also being treated very well. What did everyone think of the last episode?
Old 10-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Phantastic Oil

I was rather surprised to see Sadie and Lars vigorously making out. I guess I don't really have a good feel for what is or is not considered to be appropriate children's programming these days, and I was certainly fine with it, but I can't recall seeing that in a kids cartoon before.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:27 PM
Awoken Amaterasu Ohkami

Did anyone else think of current events while watching last nights episode?
Old 11-15-2014, 04:06 PM
Space Prez

I only count eight. The placement of gems in the temple I think is something of a clue.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:11 PM
Space Prez

They say home is where the quartz is.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:13 PM
oh my car

Hmm, you're right. I thought there was a fifth pair somewhere.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:04 PM
In anyone asks, I'm jolly

So did anyone catch the latest? I thought it was pretty cute. (Baby Melon ;n; ) Bongo Bill, you wanna unpack some of the food symbolism going on here?
Old 11-20-2014, 08:25 PM
EARTH FOREVER

steven universe is the weird-ass children's show from space we all need and deserve.

Ronaldo toes the line between spooky and ludicrous really well.

Tags
cartoons , cats=body horror , cheap tactics , dew and doritos , don't call again , gay agenda , healing lacrimal essence , i panicked , i'm bob , lgbt , mom collection , playing with swords , rose schwartz , sadder and gayer , singing while crying , steven universe