The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 12-22-2009, 07:36 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Default Fine whiskies and whiskeys

I am a single malt Scotch man. I lean toward the smokier varieties that are made in the islands. I am a man alone in my circle of Bourbon-drinker friends, but may become initiated into that universe as well. Despite being twentysomethings making twentysomething type money, we talk about $50+ bottles of spirits shockingly often.

So I wondered to myself, "does anyone else on Talking Time like any of these old man drinks?"
Old 12-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Super Nerd

I respect your position, but I am a bourbon man myself. Something about a liquor from Kentucky entices me. That said, I know much less about liquor than I'd like.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:06 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Whiskey is the best thing ever. A customer came into work today to return a bottle of whiskey (I forget the brand) because it had one of those bottles where only a few drops came out at a time. I told him that was how it was supposed to be, because you're only supposed to drink a glass at a time and savor the flavor, and he looked at me funny. "But I can't get drunk easily that way." Yes, well...that's true, I suppose.

Anyway, J&B Scotch Blended Whiskey is my drink of choice since it strikes the right balance of affordability and awesomeness. I'd love to drink Macallan or Blue Label or some other expensive crap all the time, but I can't always afford that, you know? Jameson's is pretty good too and in the same price range.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:13 PM
PROF. VIDEO GAMES, PHD.

Scotch, man. Nothing beats a fine bottle of Laphroig or Oban, which I realize are kind of on the exact opposite ends of the flavor spectrum, although I do prefer smokier scotches. Once I had some 21-year Jura that blew my mind which is kind of amazing considering that their younger scotches are all extremely terrible.

You want to talk old man drinks, though? My favorite mixed drink is a gin gimlet. No bartender under the age of 40 (in my experience) knows how to make one.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Minnesota Nice

Macallan 18-year is the finest scotch I have ever quaffed. Smooth, with fruity notes and a hint of smoke, though it'll give your wallet a decimating crotch kick.

So far as bourbon goes, I just tried some Knob Creek Kentucky bourbon yesterday, and it was damn smooth. A sight better than Maker's, in my opinion. I've never tried any of that Canadian stuff, so I can't give any opinions there.

Old man drinks? Nothing finer than a whiskey old-fashioned, says I!
Old 12-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Just bear with me

I've had both, and wasn't fond of either. There's an unpleasant woody flavor to the beverage and I just can't seem to acquire a taste for it. Having said that, I would rather drink whiskey than scotch, which tastes like a mouthful of dirt and moss. I prefer gin to either scotch or whiskey, which is odd because gin tastes like pine sap, which is something you'd never want to drink under normal circumstances.

You know what's a really kick-ass hard liquor? Rum. I swear by it. So sweet, so spicy, so buttery smooth! My former favorite was Captain Morgan, but after trying a rum and coke with Bacardi I'll probably buy that brand instead from this point forward.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:29 PM
HellCorgieが倒せない!

I'm not huge into hard whisky, but I do enjoy a good scotch with a beer chaser. I had some 18-year-old Chivas at my grandfather-in-law's house last Christmas...hoo-whee. As he said, "Just like drinkin' Pepsi Cola."
Old 12-22-2009, 11:26 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiv View Post
You want to talk old man drinks, though? My favorite mixed drink is a gin gimlet. No bartender under the age of 40 (in my experience) knows how to make one.
I am (well, was) a bartender under the age of 40 and I know how to make one. I know how to drink them, too (i.e. frequently.)

Also, I like scotch but I have to be in a good mood for it. And I don't like the cheap stuff, but I am cheap, so I ultimately don't drink it all that much. Something like Johnnie Walker Red strikes a good balance of price/quality I think.

But less expensive (i.e. non-scotch) whiskey is my go-to drink in the winter as a simple mixer.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:22 AM
Nonplussed

I don't really drink, but when we were in Ireland, we stopped at the Bushmills Distillery and took a tour. As part of it, we got to sample some things and we ended up bringing home a bottle of original stuff. I can't say that I like it, but I've knocked back a couple on various special occasions. *shudders*
Old 12-23-2009, 03:25 AM
Curious Young Gent

My brother's a big whiskey man, but I'm even more of an old man who prefers a flask of brandy on a chill night.
Whiskey's a close second, though.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:18 AM
Life is a Blender

I drink a lot of rye whiskey, since there is so much if it around here to choose from. A lot of people like crown royal, but I couldn't really care much for it. I'd probably prefer forty creek or wisers whiskey more.

Can't say I've tried that much scotch, just some cheaper brands that I can't remember the name of. Same with bourbon.

I also wish that the maple syrup and whiskey blends were sold outside of Quebec. That stuff is delicious
Old 12-23-2009, 04:59 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Best Scotch I've ever had was either the quarter-casked Laphroaig that I bought in the duty free shop on the way home from Korea, or Talisker 10, which I have only had a glass of in a bar once. Yesterday I was at a big wine & spirit warehouse store in Chicago that does their own handpicked bottlings sometimes, and I came dangerously close to spending way too much money on an exclusive 18-year Laphroaig. Then I remembered that I am 26.

It's odd... I don't get drunk, and will usually stop drinking as soon as I feel the earliest effects of alcohol, and this is just how it's always been for me, so I really have zero experience with "everyday" stuff like Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Chivas Regal, Johnnie Walker, etc. I was introduced to this stuff strictly through special social events/celebrations where people saw fit to bring really good bottles and I forced myself to partake in order to not seem like a dick, so I really only developed a taste for... uh... second-to-top-shelf and up. I should probably try some of the widely available blended Scotches just so I can understand the difference.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
You know what's a really kick-ass hard liquor? Rum. I swear by it. So sweet, so spicy, so buttery smooth! My former favorite was Captain Morgan, but after trying a rum and coke with Bacardi I'll probably buy that brand instead from this point forward.
I used to like rum, but having Cuban rum spoiled it for me. That bottle of 20 year old Havana Club was the best liquor that I've ever drank neat.

I've never gotten scotch. It's alright, but I prefer bourbon by a mile, or moonshine if I can get it.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:36 AM
Curious Young Gent

I like rum mixed, but don't really find it all that appealing straight. Brandy is the opposite! Nothing should be allowed to dilute it. Even spiced, I'm not really a straight-rum drinker. I guess I only really like the light stuff.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:42 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

My only experience with rum is the high end Guatemalan rum that my neighbor sometimes brings out when we're hanging out on our shared back deck. Delicious, but I have no perspective to really describe it.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombar View Post
Nothing should be allowed to dilute it. Even spiced, I'm not really a straight-rum drinker. I guess I only really like the light stuff.
Most rum is shit if you drink it neat. You should be able to get Havana Club in the UK- the 7 year old is reasonably priced, or was reasonably priced, 10 years ago, in South America. The oldest one is either 15 or 20 years old IIRC and is very smooth and easy to drink. Very much unlike any other rum you've had before, I guarantee.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:36 AM
nobody in particular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Most rum is shit if you drink it neat. You should be able to get Havana Club in the UK- the 7 year old is reasonably priced, or was reasonably priced, 10 years ago, in South America. The oldest one is either 15 or 20 years old IIRC and is very smooth and easy to drink. Very much unlike any other rum you've had before, I guarantee.
Huh. I'll keep my eye out for it.

Sadly, most of my whiskey experience in Scotland has been bargain priced Jack & Cokes. I had some Highland Park single malt awhile back though, and it was amazing.

If you don't know anything about whiskey and are ever in Edinburgh, go to the Scotch Whisky Experience. It's super touristy and a little expensive but informative, and you can figure out what kind of scotch is right for you without buying your weight in mini-bottles (like me!). And you get a super classy scotch tasting glass out of it!
Old 12-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Super Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
I've never gotten scotch. It's alright, but I prefer bourbon by a mile, or moonshine if I can get it.
I like you. Let's be friends.

Moonshine was available at three weddings I attended in quick succession. It was supposed to be at mine too, but apparently my friend's source was dry.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Life is a Blender

This stuff is deee-licious.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjibot View Post
Moonshine was available at three weddings I attended in quick succession. It was supposed to be at mine too, but apparently my friend's source was dry.
We used to always get some around the holidays. There was a group of hunters that would come down from the mountains to hunt on our farm, and they'd pay us in homemade hams and moonshine. I miss that a lot.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:03 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

What does moonshine actually refer to? I always thought it was just a slang term for liquor that's made in a bathtub and makes you go blind.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by destro713 View Post
What does moonshine actually refer to? I always thought it was just a slang term for liquor that's made in a bathtub and makes you go blind.
It's an unaged corn whiskey.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Super Nerd

It's made of corn. The taste can vary wildly between batches and creator, but it's usually pretty damned potent. Typically it's made out in the country away from police attention. It's made the same way as other liquors in a still but as far as I know it isn't aged at all.

It's why them Duke boys needed that fancy car. Also NASCAR was born out of its production and distribution.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:20 AM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwrrrk View Post
I drink a lot of rye whiskey, since there is so much if it around here to choose from. A lot of people like crown royal, but I couldn't really care much for it. I'd probably prefer forty creek or wisers whiskey more.

Can't say I've tried that much scotch, just some cheaper brands that I can't remember the name of. Same with bourbon.

I also wish that the maple syrup and whiskey blends were sold outside of Quebec. That stuff is delicious
Fun fact: Canadian whiskey does not have any requirements for what's used to make it other than that it must "possess the aroma, taste and character generally attributed to Canadian whisky". Canadians call almost all this stuff "rye", even though there's almost always less than 10% rye grain in the mash.

Except for Alberta Springs and Alberta Premium, which use 100% rye and only cost about $20. They're both pretty good: sweeter and a lot bolder than stuff like CC.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:21 AM
Swag Brotagonist

I don't get a chance to drink very often, but I usually drink Wild Turkey for bourbon, and Powers for whiskey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
I'd love to drink Macallan or Blue Label or some other expensive crap all the time, but I can't always afford that, you know? Jameson's is pretty good too and in the same price range.
Oh my god, one of my old roommates drank Macallan all the fucking time. He let me try a sip once, and it was really damn tasty, but like $25-$50 a glass (depending on the age) was just ridiculous.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Minnesota Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwrrrk View Post

This stuff is deee-licious.
I actually find Jameson to be harsher than Bushmills or Powers.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:45 AM
Super Nerd

Another fun fact: The oak barrels used to age bourbon are used once and then exported to be reused to age scotch.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:46 AM
the STALIN BUS is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
I am (well, was) a bartender under the age of 40 and I know how to make one.
I'd love to read about this experience. Why did you quit?
Old 12-23-2009, 08:48 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Benjibot and I probably need to stage a Chicago-based TT meetup and spirit tasting event.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Super Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by destro713 View Post
Benjibot and I probably need to stage a Chicago-based TT meetup and spirit tasting event.
Hell yeah. I'll bring the Malört.

Tags
intoxication nation