The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Notices

Old 09-27-2016, 08:21 AM
100% All Original

French presses are nice and pretty versatile, since you can easily make 1-4 cups of coffee in a medium-sized one, plus you could strain tea and stuff (I have never done this, as I don't care about tea enough to buy loose leaf). Though I suppose a filter cone is the smallest possible thing, and you trade slightly less waste for an easier clean-up. French press coffee always has a bit of sediment in it too, if that bothers you. You also want a larger than standard grind for FP, so it helps to have a grinder at home or in your grocery.

I'd like to try Chemex, but I'm skeptical that it's worth the extra cost over regular filters.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:23 PM
We just don't know.

So, I picked up a phin for 6 bucks, and now I can make Vietnamese coffee. Went ahead and picked up a can of sweetened condensed milk, and today I made my very own ca phe sua da, and it turned out Pretty Great.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:36 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Hey this thread reminds me! I'm moving in with my girlfriend soon and we're totally gonna get a french press because when I was visiting my parents for Christmas, I found out my dad uses one and I got to taste it and holy shit was it good. We also went to a cafe here once that served french press and it was still amazing, so now I have to buy one and also a grinder.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:26 PM
We just don't know.

The grinder and the beans are going to be just as if not more important than the press itself. Good beans = good coffee. Fresh ground > pre-ground (because once ground they start losing their flavor faster than as whole beans).

The french press itself will probably be better than, say, a reg'lar old drip machine or *shudder* keurig, but won't be better or worse than other coffee methods like pourover, aeropress, clever, etc... It will be different/unique, though. I've taste-compared the same beans and grind on a french press vs pourover and they had a noticeable difference (pourover vs aeropress were almost identical, though to do it "right" you'd probably want a different grind size and there are like a hundred aeropress recipes to follow so blah blah blah).

This is all to say, you're doing the right thing and I salute you.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:41 AM
It's dog eat dog

I bought a stainless steel french press eight years ago and it is not remotely close to needing replacement. Most cost-effective purchase I have ever made.

Tags
seed water , wakey juice