The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 09-27-2016, 09:21 AM
100% All Original

French presses are nice and pretty versatile, since you can easily make 1-4 cups of coffee in a medium-sized one, plus you could strain tea and stuff (I have never done this, as I don't care about tea enough to buy loose leaf). Though I suppose a filter cone is the smallest possible thing, and you trade slightly less waste for an easier clean-up. French press coffee always has a bit of sediment in it too, if that bothers you. You also want a larger than standard grind for FP, so it helps to have a grinder at home or in your grocery.

I'd like to try Chemex, but I'm skeptical that it's worth the extra cost over regular filters.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:23 PM
We just don't know.

So, I picked up a phin for 6 bucks, and now I can make Vietnamese coffee. Went ahead and picked up a can of sweetened condensed milk, and today I made my very own ca phe sua da, and it turned out Pretty Great.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:36 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Hey this thread reminds me! I'm moving in with my girlfriend soon and we're totally gonna get a french press because when I was visiting my parents for Christmas, I found out my dad uses one and I got to taste it and holy shit was it good. We also went to a cafe here once that served french press and it was still amazing, so now I have to buy one and also a grinder.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:26 PM
We just don't know.

The grinder and the beans are going to be just as if not more important than the press itself. Good beans = good coffee. Fresh ground > pre-ground (because once ground they start losing their flavor faster than as whole beans).

The french press itself will probably be better than, say, a reg'lar old drip machine or *shudder* keurig, but won't be better or worse than other coffee methods like pourover, aeropress, clever, etc... It will be different/unique, though. I've taste-compared the same beans and grind on a french press vs pourover and they had a noticeable difference (pourover vs aeropress were almost identical, though to do it "right" you'd probably want a different grind size and there are like a hundred aeropress recipes to follow so blah blah blah).

This is all to say, you're doing the right thing and I salute you.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:41 AM
It's dog eat dog

I bought a stainless steel french press eight years ago and it is not remotely close to needing replacement. Most cost-effective purchase I have ever made.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:26 PM
Find Your Reason

I've decided to give up milk and dairy as part of a diet, which means that I'm looking for substitutes for my evening drink. I'm not much of a coffee drinker outside the office, so even the French press I have is more of a dining room decoration than something I use more than once a month. If I wanted to invest in an introductory-level coffee maker, what should I look for?

(No Keurigs or anything that uses disposable pods, though. Looking for something that can take anything from fine-ground coffee to whole beans.)
Old 08-11-2018, 02:23 PM
hang high, soft star

Keurigs with reusable pods are pretty awesome imo, it cut down the amount of coffee I used by like three fourths over a basic drip pot when I switched over to the one I used until recently.

And then it broke and now I'm here to ask the same exact question, halp where how do good not expensive coffee maker. The only reason I ended up with a Keurig to begin with was it was a hand me down.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:03 AM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

The ones by Hamilton Beach are fairly inexpensive and work quite well. I have one.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:49 PM
Outraged!

My brother bought an industrial coffee maker like you’d see at a Denny’s. Brews 4 gallons an hour, extremely normal thing for a two person household to own.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:17 PM
We just don't know.

If you're only brewing for yourself, a pourover cone like the Kalita Wave dripper or vortex or Clever are pretty fast and easy ways to make a good cup for yourself. There's also the aeropress which is only slightly more complicated. And honestly you could start using your French press, too. A Chemex is also good.

I have never owned a coffee machine, only manual methods. I'm but one man and have never needed to make more than two cups of coffee in my own home at the same time. (and my French press makes up to three if things start going crazy.) So I guess take my word with a grain of salt.

Anyway I'm more worried about you making coffee as an evening drink. You know it has caffeine in it, right???
Old 08-25-2018, 05:25 PM
Find Your Reason

Ever since my caffeine receptors burned out in college, I have to ingest industrial levels of it (or combine it with liquor) for it to have any effect... but even then, I usually drink decaf at night I don't use my French press that often, usually just on weekend mornings or for company, because it takes me 5x times longer to clean it than to brew and drink the coffee. So if I want something that I can incorporate into my workday mornings + late supper without setting aside extra cleaning time, I don't think it's much of an option.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:19 PM

I have a friend at work that's big on cold brew coffee; he makes it in liter batches himself and then freezes servings of it into giant cubes. That way as it thaws it keeps the coffee cool through out the day as it slowly melts.

Recently I noticed he was mixing it with something that I couldn't identify at a glance. Turns out it was Topo Chico, which is a carbonated mineral water bottled in Mexico.

The combination sounded a bit odd, but after trying it myself I do think it's surprisingly good. Some searching online revealed this combination isn't all that strange, I probably just would have never considered it since I'm usually not big on mineral water.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:13 PM
We just don't know.

zef: pour overs etc. are pretty easy to clean since you just toss the filter, so that's an option!

seltzer/sparkling water and espresso is definitely a thing people do, though I can't stand sparkling waters myself. Lately, espresso and tonic has been a thing I'm seeing around too. I... don't know what to think about that. Though a friend turned me on to espresso and san pellegrino (the flavored ones) and I have to admit they're not bad...
Old 08-27-2018, 12:02 PM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Anyway I'm more worried about you making coffee as an evening drink. You know it has caffeine in it, right???
My mutant superpower is the ability to fall asleep anywhere, at any time, under any circumstances, so I will often enjoy a big cup of coffee at 11pm and still be sound asleep by 12:30.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:16 PM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
My mutant superpower is the ability to fall asleep anywhere, at any time, under any circumstances, so I will often enjoy a big cup of coffee at 11pm and still be sound asleep by 12:30.
Are you me? I mean, are you sure you're not? Have you checked recently?

Yeah, I love coffee and drink it pretty much all the time. It's not uncommon to find the pot on at all hours of the day. Seems to be fairly consistent with most people in the area, too; may be a regional thing.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:45 PM
King Of Space-Time

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
So, I picked up a phin for 6 bucks...
A what? Please explain.

Tags
seed water , wakey juice