The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-27-2017, 09:32 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
I think S-video requires a mod (supposedly pretty easy, though), and I don't think my TV has an S-video input on it unfortunately.
Oh, you're right. SEGA gave the MD/Genesis native RGB capabilities but not S-video. I say go ahead and jump in with an RGB cable, then.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:15 AM
Brain Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
I don't think the classic Xbox d-pad is as bad as the Xbox 360 d-pad (what could be?), but I'll admit that I use an adapter for most games. I'm using something called a ForceBox, but this one offers dual compatibility with the Xbox and GameCube.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Playstation...-/390308521137

Plug it in, and bam, all your PS2 controllers become fair game. I'm using some ancient-ass Hori joystick right now... I've had better sticks, but this one holds up under a lot of abuse.
I always forget about the adapters for like every console. I really need to look into getting a few. I wish I'd have gotten one of the SNES to Wii adapters back when Wii Virtual Console was a thing - I have an SNES Classic now, but I don't even have my Wii hooked up anymore.

Although what I really want is a Retropie built into a Wii U controller, but I don't have anywhere near the technical expertise to make one of those... plus that's a different thread.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:18 AM
the goon of the lagoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazin View Post
Although what I really want is a Retropie built into a Wii U controller, but I don't have anywhere near the technical expertise to make one of those... plus that's a different thread.
You could also just buy like Big Brain Academy on WiiU eshop and do some webkit tinkering
Old 11-01-2017, 07:37 AM
Hang in there, Sis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
for now my hi-fi solution is gonna be a six meter long RCA cable for the composite image.
I got a long cable, hooked it up and ran composite, and from across the room it looked pretty nice actually. But it did show some of the problems of converting the analog signal to digital incorrectly. I was playing Steel Empire, which frames itself as a film based on a book, and the intro has a flicker effect to simulate an old projector. It achieves this by alternating the image on and off from frame to frame. On the original system this works, but my TVís upscaler processes the image wrong*: an analog TV displays 30 fps, but each frame is made by drawing the odd numbered horizontal lines followed by the even numbered lines meaning actually 60 images are drawn per second, each of which is half a frame. Old consoles achieved 60fps by removing the signal to switch between odd and even lines, so the odd numbered lines are refreshed 60 times a second, and the even lines are not drawn (which is where scan lines come from). This is 240p. My TV doesnít recognise that this is happening, so it alternates the lines (480i), which usually I canít tell the difference but when a flicker effect is used it means suddenly you have scan lines. So instead of the intro flickering it just has blank lines through it. When you get hit and are supposed to flash, instead your sprite gets blank lines while everything else looks normal. Itís noticeable but not the end of the world.

I tried it through the component port (if you plug a composite signal into the green socket of a component input you get a black and white picture with vertical lines in it, dunno why) and the flicker seemed to work, so if I ever get my hands on some genesis component cables I might be set.

*Technical details may not be accurate.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:22 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
My latest quest to drain my checking account has me attempting to build the Ultimate GBA Experience: a first-run GameCube (with component-out), the Game Boy Advance Player, a Hori GameCube Digital Controller (the one that looks like an SNES controller with GameCube buttons), and GameCube component cables.
Six years later I have finally succumbed to my chronic brain-fever and bought this for an embarrassing amount of money:

On the plus side it's given me a great excuse to reattempt my abandoned Mother 3 playthrough on Game Boy Player (running Swiss via an SD card reader in the GC memory card slot, along with Game Boy Interface for nice clean 240p output to my xRGB-mini):

In conclusion, if you're a fool like me who insists on playing GBC/GBA titles on a home television and don't mind spending several hundred dollars on supporting A/V equipment and retro gaming hardware, then this is a pretty good option!
Old 03-03-2018, 01:24 PM
Chief Servbot

God Mother 3 looks so good, if Nintendo doesn't release it this year I'm definitely going to crack and get a repo cart

I say this every year...
Old 03-03-2018, 05:56 PM
concern troll

man, I have a GBA player and that cable. Maybe i should buy a repo cart ...
Old 03-03-2018, 09:10 PM

Either that, or if you're not a stickler for having a repro, you could get a cheap flash cart like the 3-in-1 Expansion Pack for DS. Well, that requires a DS flash cart too, so maybe that's not the best solution. That's how I run all my GBA games, anyway, and there are a few DS translations worth giving a go, too.

There's also the Everdrive GBA, but getting the flash carts above are cheaper. I'm sure the user experience is nicer, though, on the ED.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:08 AM
Hang in there, Sis.

HD Retrovision are restocking their shop in about six hours. They sell SNES and Mega Drive component cables and a few other things. Apparently last time they had stock it lasted for a few months, so I donít think thereís a big rush to order (also they recommend testing your tvís compatibility before ordering which is probably a good idea).
Old 03-17-2018, 11:18 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
There's also the Everdrive GBA, but getting the flash carts above are cheaper. I'm sure the user experience is nicer, though, on the ED.
I used an EZ-Flash IV GBA cart years ago and it was pretty awful. Its plastic shell was poorly molded and snapped apart constantly, and if I remember correctly, the cart only recognizes microSD cards up to 2GB (which are tough to even find these days). Plus I had to patch every GBA game with a crappy proprietary patching utility program before they'd work on the thing.

Conversely, the GBA Everdrive allows you to just drag-and-drop your ROMs onto the SD card as you like. Alhough it lacks all the bells and whistles of more advanced products like SD2SNES, the GBA ED is definitely the way to go for playing patched ROMs on real hardware.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:16 PM

Heck, now you've got me wanting one.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:40 PM
All are Mr. Saturn

I got my Super Nt in and it occurred to me that aside from Soul Blazer, Earthbound, and a Super Fami copy of Chrono Trigger, all of my SNES games are in storage.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:29 PM
Just bear with me

As I mentioned in another thread, don't buy a Genesis Flashback HD.

As I didn't mention in another thread, I just got the SCART cable for my actual Genesis, and the results are mixed. I don't know if it's the cable or the converter I'm using, but pixels are soft around the edges and there's dot crawl on the screen when it fades to black. Maybe I should try this with a smaller monitor, I dunno. Probably wouldn't hurt to have better games to test than crappy Ballz 3D, too. I've got like twenty or thirty Genesis games in MI, but here? Just Ballz. Yeesh.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:22 AM
the goon of the lagoon

The HDRetrovision store was in stock again when I checked. If they still have stock in a month I might get an RGB cable for Genesis.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:26 PM
Spear of Justice

Yesterday Voultar refreshed his stock of N64 RGB mod kits on his storefront page, so I placed an order for one. Unfortunately he only accepts Google Pay, which has been a royal pain in the ass for me to try and set up due to their insane verification process. Regardless, if I can manage to install the mod myself (video guide here), all my consoles will be connected via either RGB, component or HDMI cables. After that I suppose all that's left will be to finally buy an El Gato and start streaming some retro games on real hardware. And maybe track down a PVM for a reasonable price...
Old 03-30-2018, 09:17 AM
Hang in there, Sis.

Default I have spent way too much money on mega drive accessories lately

So my HD Retrovision mega drive component cable arrived the other day. I've only had time to fire it up briefly, but I took a couple pictures (the first one is not from a console):

This is Steel Empire. At the top is a picture I took from HG101 which I assume came from an emulator, just for reference. In the middle is what I got with the component cable from my Nomad, which I tried out first because its AV out port is easier to get to than on the normal console. I was pretty alarmed when I fired it up: it looks like a smoothing filter in an emulator - yuck! At the bottom is from my Mega Drive - it's not perfect, but the pixels are pretty well defined. This is really zoomed in, obviously (also the colour is all blown out because I took these pictures on my phone without spending much time on it). I think it's pretty good. Wish I'd taken a shot on composite first for comparison, though.

I'm not sure why the nomad has that filtery look to it. It's got a screen replacement mod in it, which I think piggybacks its signal from the AV out socket, so maybe it's putting out a weaker signal and getting more distorted. One thing it did have going for it was that the flicker effect was working, while on the MD I got scanlines when things were supposed to flicker. Maybe that's because it's an NTSC copy of the game and I'm running it on a PAL MD so it doesn't sync properly? Dunno.

Here's Bub from SMS Bubble Bobble. It's a little more zoomed out than the above shots. I've never managed to get my copy of Bubble Bobble to work on a mega drive before, but this was running through my new Power Base FM, which in addition to its FM synthesizer has a BIOS that's supposed to improve compatibility with some games, apparently including BB. I'm pretty pleased about that. BB isn't one of the games with FM sound though. I've tried it on a couple that do have it, it's pretty neat. Oddly, at least one of my games uses both FM synth and the normal SMS beep-and-booper. I played Wonder Boy in Monster Land, and the music was all FM but the sound effects were PSG. Unfortunately the PSG seems to be mixed higher than the FM. Not sure if that can be fixed. Another problem with it is that the FM sound doesn't work on the (SMS modified) Nomad. The games run fine, but are silent unless I disable the FM synth and just have the normal sound. Bit of a shame. Apparently the MD cart port has audio signal pins which the power base FM runs the FM sound to, and they aren't functional in the nomad.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:21 AM
Spear of Justice

Dat Bub is lookin' fiiiiine

I'm no Sega expert, but I've definitely heard about different revisions of the Genesis having somewhat different sound hardware that can affect the audio output.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:40 PM
Just bear with me

I wound up getting a Super Retro Cade after looking at the reviews and watching the system in action. It doesn't run everything perfectly (Midnight Resistance and Double Dragon have issues, apparently) but it seems to offer much better performance than the Genesis Flashback HD I bought a month ago. Games are evidently pretty easy to add to the unit as well... just drop them on an SD card along with a picture and you're good to go. It plays games for a lot of different formats... NES, Super NES, Genesis, and arcade among others.

I considered a Raspberry Pi, but... I dunno. Something about it is just repellent to me. Too much DIY involved, I guess.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:41 PM
Hang in there, Sis.

I took another couple of pictures. Sonic 2 looks pretty good! The horizontal bands of light and dark (thereís one across Sonicís eyes and another at his forehead, for example) I think are the result of taking a photo of a tv screen. I couldnít see them just looking at the screen.

Hereís an example of it not working right: the emerald is supposed to flicker, being visible on alternate frames. Instead, itís a static image with a comb effect from being drawn on alternate rows of pixels. I think thatís the TVís fault, but itís strange that it doesnít seem to happen when I plug in the nomad.

Tags
nostalgia , retro games , struggle against entropy