The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-27-2017, 10:32 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
I think S-video requires a mod (supposedly pretty easy, though), and I don't think my TV has an S-video input on it unfortunately.
Oh, you're right. SEGA gave the MD/Genesis native RGB capabilities but not S-video. I say go ahead and jump in with an RGB cable, then.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:15 AM
Life depends on change

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
I don't think the classic Xbox d-pad is as bad as the Xbox 360 d-pad (what could be?), but I'll admit that I use an adapter for most games. I'm using something called a ForceBox, but this one offers dual compatibility with the Xbox and GameCube.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Playstation...-/390308521137

Plug it in, and bam, all your PS2 controllers become fair game. I'm using some ancient-ass Hori joystick right now... I've had better sticks, but this one holds up under a lot of abuse.
I always forget about the adapters for like every console. I really need to look into getting a few. I wish I'd have gotten one of the SNES to Wii adapters back when Wii Virtual Console was a thing - I have an SNES Classic now, but I don't even have my Wii hooked up anymore.

Although what I really want is a Retropie built into a Wii U controller, but I don't have anywhere near the technical expertise to make one of those... plus that's a different thread.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:18 AM
Good Jo.R.B.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazin View Post
Although what I really want is a Retropie built into a Wii U controller, but I don't have anywhere near the technical expertise to make one of those... plus that's a different thread.
You could also just buy like Big Brain Academy on WiiU eshop and do some webkit tinkering
Old 11-01-2017, 08:37 AM
Cool Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimothy View Post
for now my hi-fi solution is gonna be a six meter long RCA cable for the composite image.
I got a long cable, hooked it up and ran composite, and from across the room it looked pretty nice actually. But it did show some of the problems of converting the analog signal to digital incorrectly. I was playing Steel Empire, which frames itself as a film based on a book, and the intro has a flicker effect to simulate an old projector. It achieves this by alternating the image on and off from frame to frame. On the original system this works, but my TVís upscaler processes the image wrong*: an analog TV displays 30 fps, but each frame is made by drawing the odd numbered horizontal lines followed by the even numbered lines meaning actually 60 images are drawn per second, each of which is half a frame. Old consoles achieved 60fps by removing the signal to switch between odd and even lines, so the odd numbered lines are refreshed 60 times a second, and the even lines are not drawn (which is where scan lines come from). This is 240p. My TV doesnít recognise that this is happening, so it alternates the lines (480i), which usually I canít tell the difference but when a flicker effect is used it means suddenly you have scan lines. So instead of the intro flickering it just has blank lines through it. When you get hit and are supposed to flash, instead your sprite gets blank lines while everything else looks normal. Itís noticeable but not the end of the world.

I tried it through the component port (if you plug a composite signal into the green socket of a component input you get a black and white picture with vertical lines in it, dunno why) and the flicker seemed to work, so if I ever get my hands on some genesis component cables I might be set.

*Technical details may not be accurate.

Tags
nostalgia , retro games , struggle against entropy