The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about sports

Notices

Old 03-14-2018, 06:17 PM
Bob

ayyyyyyyyyy, McCarron for 10 mil 2 years. That's what I like to see from a bridge QB contract!
Old 03-14-2018, 10:33 PM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

At least it's not as bad as what the Bears did last year. They guaranteed $18 million to Mike Glennon last year, benched him after four games, and then cut him and leave $4.5 million in dead money on this year's cap. That's $194,000 per pass Glennon completed in a Bears uniform. But just because the Bills didn't egregiously overpay like the Bears did doesn't mean I think McCarron will be any good. Buffalo's best chances for fielding a competent squad next year are to draft a QB and hope that he turns into the next Dak Prescott or Carson Wentz.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:49 AM
Bob

The Bills aren't trying to win it all this year, and aren't entirely concerned with fielding a competent team. Their whole modus operandi was to trade away talent that didn't fit with their goal last year (Dareus and Watkins) to acquire picks for this year to get the QB they want (which they are in a good spot to do, trading back last year and then getting picks 12 and 22 along with two picks in the next two rounds and five in the first 65 picks) with a target of being competitive next year. McCarron is just a flier and a bridge QB. If he's good, maybe we'll trade him away next year for some more value if the rookie QB we draft now is already looking good development-wise.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:34 PM
Gotta Boogie!

I'm actually surprised Foles isn't a Buffalo Bill.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:17 PM
Bob

I'm not. Why would you give up draft capital to grab a backup QB when you can get one for 5 million from FA? Not that Foles isn't a great QB, it's just that we'd be buying high.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:27 PM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
I'm actually surprised Foles isn't a Buffalo Bill.
The Eagles are holding out because 1) they're hoping to get lucky again like they did when they traded away Bradford and trade Foles in August or September when some established starter somewhere gets injured and a desperate team will give them a bounty of picks for him and 2) it's uncertain when Wentz will be fully recovered so Foles is probably penciled in as their starter for at least the first part of the season.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:16 AM
Gotta Boogie!

Turns out the Seahawks FO decided postpone workouts with Kaep because of his protests.

I am so fucking disappointed and angry right now.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:46 PM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Repeat the NFL executive mantra; Kaepernick isn't blacklisted, he just isn't any good.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:06 AM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

NFL Draft thoughts:
  • I was always jazzed to watch Baker Mayfield at Oklahoma but despair for his future because being drafted by the Browns has been a career death sentence for so many quarterbacks.
  • The Bills appear to be catastrophically foolish to trade up to draft Josh Allen (who as a tall, athletic white guy looks the part of a NFL QB and therefore became a premium commodity despite not being able to throw the ball accurately). The Bills then doubled down on their apparent foolishness by trading up again to get Tremaine Edmunds at inside linebacker, a position that most teams can fill without using premium draft picks. But it's pretty cool that Edmunds and his brother both got drafted in the first round.
  • Washington drafting a guy named Da'ron Payne confuses me because I keep thinking of Ron Dayne.
  • The Seahawks absolute refusal to draft any help for their o-line should prompt Russell Wilson to file an OSHA complaint that his employer has willfully provided him an unsafe work environment.
  • The Patriots drafting a running back in the first round seems wasteful for two reasons. 1) The Patriots have gotten a lot of production at the position from guys that got cheap (late round draft picks, undrafted free agents, players underutilized by divisional rivals, etc) and 2) there was still a QB available on the board who appeared to have enough talent to be a successor to Tom Brady. Instead they passed on him and opened up the door for Baltimore...
  • The Ravens picking up Lamar Jackson at the end of the first round is my favorite pick of the draft. Partly because Jackson seems like he has enormous potential, partly because he's going to a franchise that I think can develop his talents (unlike Mayfield in Cleveland) but mostly because Joe Flacco has become painfully bad in the years following his Super Bowl win and this pick means he will be out the door within a year in all likelihood.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:26 PM
Gotta Boogie!

Worrying whether this is the week the greatest quarterback in your team's history finally gets beheaded by a 320 lb behemoth because the OL doesn't know what an assignment is is the new normal around here.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:45 PM

Man. What's it like being a Browns fan???
Old 04-27-2018, 06:21 PM
Gotta Boogie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Man. What's it like being a Browns fan???
The Browns' greatest QB died fifteen years ago though.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:59 PM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
The Browns' greatest QB died fifteen years ago though.
This actually prompted me to spend more time than the subject merits trying to figure out who the best Browns quarterback is. (And I'm only considering the 1999-onward franchise because the team before that is in all reality the current Baltimore Ravens) So the best season by a Browns quarterback is probably Derek Anderson's 2007 season. He led the team to 10 wins but because the AFC was loaded that year they were the odd team out and didn't make the playoffs. Anderson's numbers that year were far from exceptional but it was the window of time when Braylon Edwards and Kellen Winslow Jr. were both really good pass catchers, Jamal Lewis came over from the Ravens and was a quality running back, Josh Cribbs was tearing it up as a returner, and the quarterbacking was competent.

The best player to have played as quarterback for the Browns is a little more interesting. Cleveland has gone through so many starters at the position in the last two decades that some decent players have managed to play there in their twilight years or in their early careers. Brian Hoyer has been a decent backup and spot starter for a decade but is far from inspiring. Jason Campbell was a mediocre starter for a few teams for about a decade who played a lot more than Hoyer did. Robert Griffin had the one electrifying year at Washington before his knees were shredded by Fedex field's criminally shoddy turf and his short tenure in a Browns uniform represents the last time the Browns managed to win a game. But I think the best quarterback to suit up for the Browns was CFL star Jeff Garcia. Garcia was an MVP in Canada before becoming Steve Young's successor with the 49ers. Garcia played at a high enough level that the only QB better in 2000 was Peyton Manning. Garcia's play dropped steadily though and after 2003 he was cut by the niners and played an unremarkable season for the Browns in 2004. Garcia hung around for a few more years as a veteran stopgap and was actually reasonably competent if rather fragile in his late 30s with the Jon Gruden Bucs.

But I am hopeful that this year will represent a change for the Browns. I think Tyrod Taylor is a capable quarterback and can play respectably until Baker Mayfield is ready. And I am hopeful that when Mayfield takes the reins he can finally break through the ponderously low ceiling of quarterback play that Cleveland has had and establish himself as a quality NFL quarterback. It's a beautiful dream but many dreams have been dashed on the cruel reality of Cleveland's football field.

tl;dr The Browns best QB was an old guy released by a good team. And then the Browns cut him and he kept playing respectably for other teams for a few more years. It's not a high bar but it's still better than what the Browns have been able to do.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:26 PM
Gotta Boogie!

I'd say the Ravens don't have any claim to the Browns' history, because they changed their name and uniforms. Cleveland still has sole claim to Otto Graham, AFAIC.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:40 PM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Yeah, but the franchise of Cleveland-that-picked-up-and-moved-to-Baltimore is really good! But the expansion team called the Browns that opened shop in 1999 is terrible regardless if the NFL credits them with Otto Graham and Jim Brown and a bunch of guys from the 50s. The way I think of it Ozzie Newsome has been with the same team his whole career; as a player they were the Browns, as a GM they are the Ravens. But it's the same organization for certain.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 04-30-2018, 07:48 AM

I used to have something of a fondness for the bills, but going from tyrod to allen (and their treatment of tyrod) has really slid them down my list of likable teams.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:53 PM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Just a reminder that not only is Kaepernick being blackballed by the NFL but his partner in kneeling, Eric Reid, is also unsigned and with poor prospects despite being a first-round draft pick who has played well during his stint with the 49ers.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
Just a reminder that not only is Kaepernick being blackballed by the NFL but his partner in kneeling, Eric Reid, is also unsigned and with poor prospects despite being a first-round draft pick who has played well during his stint with the 49ers.
Funny how the NFL bends over backwards scared of the backlash from its racist, white, Trumpian fanbase, but doesn't give two fucking shits about its predominantly minority workforce or its massive fanbase in communities of color.

It's almost like the NFL is run by a bunch of old, racist, white guys. Crazy, huh?
Old 05-12-2018, 10:32 AM
Overwhelmed by Absurdity

Though in fairness the NFL's free agent market for safeties seems weird this year because at least a half dozen of the top rated players at the position remain unsigned.

Tags
the maddening , touchdown tom