The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Notices

Old 03-19-2018, 07:23 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Well, that was a near thing! Wrong Track is basically a nastier Detour:

These are not equivalent cards!

Taeryn and turtle: Do your Jungle thing and we can move on to...

Round 10, Phase 4 [End of Turn]

Q. Can the Creature still win?
A. Yes. It will of course take some doing, but as long as the Hunted don't win this turn, the Creature can technically afford to whiff again, provided it has any of a large number of hunt cards.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:20 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

I'll take #4: The Beach back, thank you.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:10 AM
-ryn

I will take back the 9 source

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 04:12 AM
-ryn

Wow. That was a win you just stole away with that card gerad.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 06:07 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
Wow. That was a win you just stole away with that card gerad.
It wasn't quite, but it was very close. One assimilation for catching the two of you and another for putting turtle to zero Will would have put him at the doorstep.

I will say that I have a newfound respect for Survival cards.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:14 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Round 11, Phase 1 [Exploration]

[Beach Marker]

aturtledoesbite

Will: ***
Survival cards: None
In hand: 2, 3, 4, 6, 8
In discard: 1, 5

Gerad

Survival cards: []
In hand: 2, 3, 4, 10
In discard: 1, 3, 5, 7

Taeryn

Survival cards: []
In hand: 2, 3, 4, 5, 9
In discard: 1

This is maybe probably the final round! Make it count!
Old 03-20-2018, 04:23 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerad View Post
Yes, I do.

Let's move the creature to 1.
Goldarnit Gerad. I expect this kind of thing from Taeryn after picking on them so much at the start, or from turtle just on principle, but from you? This just feels like betrayal =(

Also, Mogri, are you sure on that board state right now? Those aren't the cards they have by my count.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:25 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Also, Mogri, are you sure on that board state right now? Those aren't the cards they have by my count.
Feel free to double-check; it wouldn't be the first time I'd screwed up my accounting in a LP.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:59 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Round 11, Phase 2 [Hunting]

The Creature is back at the Beach, and now it's the Jungle that's acting up. But wait! What's that hanging out at the Wreck?

It's also the Creature!

In response, Gerad cheats again.

Round 11, Phase 3 [Reckoning]

aturtledoesbite

A turtle does visit the Swamp, like a salmon swimming upstream. He gets unnecessarily smelly.

Gerad

Gerad swerves at the last minute from the Beach to the Lair. It's the classic queen's fork; the winning move was not to play.

Taeryn

return;

Round 11, Phase 4 [End of Turn]

Gerad mimics the Beach's power to kick the Rescue counter forward, and the end of the turn seals the deal.

Game Over - Hunted Win

Lucas took an early lead, but the Hunted team managed to turn things around. This was no small feat, since Lucas did an admirable job of locking down the Rover, especially against Taeryn. Gerad would probably have handled this round differently without Vortex, but we really have Wrong Track to thank for this being as clean a victory as it was.

Let's have a big round of applause for our players and especially for our Creature, who might well have taken this game if the Shelter weren't so kind to Gerad.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:56 AM
Holy Swine

Thanks for running the game, Mogri! It was fun. I definitely got some luck with those survival cards. I'm surprised Taeryn never played his.

There's a lot of potential WIFOM involved in this game. I tried to avoid locations where we all had the card and go to ones where only I did. It worked pretty well, but I could easily have been caught out a lot more.

It's funny; the creature cards felt way overpowered at the start of the game, but then the survival cards did late. Seems like either can produce big swings.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:07 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Thanks for running the game, Mogri! It was fun. I definitely got some luck with those survival cards. I'm surprised Taeryn never played his.
Oh yeah, that's right! Taeryn's card:

It never did anything for him.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:17 AM
-ryn

I sure had a rough start, but Gerad and Turtle were able to put enough pressure on. Once I had that Source card in my hand, I decided to be fairly dedicated to trying to keep Will up so that if folks get caught, they don't drop to zero. Since I felt like Turtle was keeping the pressure on with the Wreck, I figured if anything, maybe Luke would throw a token at me and I had a card to answer that.

Luke had this game in the bag and we managed to snatch victory away from him. You played really well and deserve credit for keeping the game close.

Thank you Mogri for running the game. I had fun.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:47 AM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
There's a lot of potential WIFOM involved in this game. I tried to avoid locations where we all had the card and go to ones where only I did. It worked pretty well, but I could easily have been caught out a lot more.
Yeah, I definitely felt I had to play the numbers game a lot as the Hunter. With only one creature to spread around it's hard to pin the prey down and it was a tough call deciding between squatting on one decent card everyone might pick or a really juicy location that only one person has even a chance of going to. (Going by the numbers also helped speed up my decision making, which was another of my concerns when playing by post.)

There's also the issue of who values which cards more highly. I was pretty surprised when so many people pitched the River in that next to last round because if I had been the Hunted that would totally have been my next play... which is why I had totally been planning to Hunt on it that turn and then you start to get into that "the wine in front of me" thinking like you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeryn View Post
Luke had this game in the bag and we managed to snatch victory away from him. You played really well and deserve credit for keeping the game close.
I honestly felt bad about how often I was catching you at the start. I think that might be why you seem so much more confident in my eventual victory than I was!

Thanks again for running the game, Mogri.

Question: are the Hunt/Survival cards stacked in any way or was it just coincidence that I got a lot of Artemia token cards at first and the Target token cards never showed up until the A token was permanently in play?
Old 03-21-2018, 07:49 AM
Yes, let's feast!

It was random. There were only eight or nine cards you didn't see, though - there are a lot more Artemia cards than Target cards.

Clone is a nice one to have on turn 1, when you can dodge the Lair/Rover WIFOM by targeting both.

Tags
board games , let's play